Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Hairstylist what are your half day rates

Hair Stylist

Hair by Angie

New Bedford, Massachusetts, US

I charge in the salon by the service and not the hour. But for photography I'm a little confused.

I've been charging $150 for half day rate basically 4 hours and that would include as many looks as the person hiring me needed in those 4 hours is that reasonable is that too low for a hairstylist. I'm not sure I'm doing this right. I don't know any other hairstylist that do freelance work to know what the normal rate is. Should my rate be similar to those of the MUA in my area or no.

Plastic Puppet is not working

and the FAQ all I found where mostly about MU not much about hairstylist

Oct 12 09 12:13 am Link

Photographer

MacLeod Designs

Mooresville, North Carolina, US

Im no hairstylist but from a basic makerting/business standpoint...

at those rates are you booked as much as you would like? if yes or more then raise your rate,

if not keep it or lower it, it really depends how and who you are marketing to, and what your market is, there is no right or wrong

Oct 12 09 08:16 am Link

Hair Stylist

A J T

Brooklyn, New York, US

Well, here in NYC, my half day rate is $400, my full day is $650 (and I'm still a little low for NYC). You want your half day rate to be more than half of your day rate because, even if you only book half your day, chances are, you're still not going to book anything else that day, and you want to make sure you're not blocking out a day for peanuts. So, that would put your day rate at around $225, which seems a bit low. I don't know your market, but I recommend your day rate be at least $450 and half day $300 to be better friends with industry standard rates.

Oct 12 09 09:25 am Link

Makeup Artist

Kristen S Makeup

Plymouth, Massachusetts, US

It also depends on what you're doing.  If you're doing a commercial shoot with a client, that's extremely low for this area. But it's unusual for that kind of client to hire a hairstylist independent of a makeup artist on a non union job. They will most times expect both.

If you're doing a test shoot for portfolio purposes, you're pretty much right in line with what this market will pay.  Some artists say they get their full half day rate for this type of shoot, but anytime I've been booked for full rate on a portfolio shoot, the shoot always mysteriously postpones until sometime after the end of the world.

Since it's hard to find a dedicated hairstylist especially during busy salon times, you may be able to command a bit more.  If you're booking steadily at that rate, bump it up for new bookings.  Or you can do a "style and go" at a set price and then charge more to stay for for the half day.   I don't find these to be particularly worth my while since most times I'm doing a lot of traveling to get to the site.  I also only will book a lower rate test shoot on a weekend, which is for me when I tend to book in advance and can tell if I can fit something like that in. I also tend to book full rate jobs during the week on shorter notice.  You may be the opposite, so take a look at what your bookings look like and even base your rates on that. 

Hope that's helpful.

Oct 12 09 09:44 am Link

Hair Stylist

Pierre Sutton

Long Beach, California, US

Can anyone tell me what I should charge a Photographer who is local a 30 min - 1 Hour - 4 Day shoot rates?  Would the 30 min and 1 hour session run in line with 1/2 day rate? or less

May 17 13 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

from the viewpoint of someone who would be hiring i need to only hire people who have very well developed portfolios. I especially shy away from people who have very retouched images in their portfolio because i don't know what they can do. i look for people with many different types of models, and at least 4-5 well lit outdoor images. i find they make it easier to see the work.

But LA is a very competitive market and I can't throw a rock without hitting a hairstylist out here so I can be picky.

The point is that anyone asking about rates should be asking in the critique, because they are very much dependent on the person's portfolio, which can't be commented on in the forums. No one can give you very good rates advice without addressing your portfolio.

May 17 13 09:33 pm Link

Makeup Artist

NikkiLynnHairandMakeup

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I've only charged per model so not sure about day rates.
Depends on experience and how much you think you are worth.

May 18 13 02:38 pm Link