Forums > General Industry > Is this just a line?

Photographer

S I E B

El Dorado Hills, California, US

So, do all of us photographers sound like sleazy lounge lizards when we tag or message models? I'm starting to wonder - even when I have a sincere thought, I see somebody else say the same thing, almost word for word! Do models have bastard radar? (from a Marillion song)

Jul 17 05 05:14 am Link

Photographer

photoguy42

Toledo, Ohio, US

Typically, I if I approach someone asking if I can take pictures, I introduce myself, state my intentions, and give them my card that has my website and contact information.

This way they can look at my work and see if I'm someone they would want to work with.

I also tell them that nudity is not required. (this usually helps to calm some fears)

Damn perverts have made this difficult for all of us who try to do respectable work.

Jul 17 05 07:06 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Posted by S I E B: 
So, do all of us photographers sound like sleazy lounge lizards when we tag or message models? I'm starting to wonder - even when I have a sincere thought, I see somebody else say the same thing, almost word for word! Do models have bastard radar? (from a Marillion song)

I'm the original bastard.  Everyone else are just followers.

Jul 17 05 07:22 am Link

Photographer

CharliesImages

Raleigh, Illinois, US

I wonder what your typical comment is to a model. 

I try to keep my initial contact short, provide links, state my interest in working with her, and request that if interested she contact me for additonal information.

Charlie

Jul 17 05 07:28 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

That's basically all I do too.  If they want to shoot, they'll get back to me.

Paul

Jul 17 05 10:13 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

I always wanted to be a Vegas lounge lizard...singing BlackSabath songs, in a black sharkskin suit...but I let that dream go....instead I became a photographer......Not all   are about the darkside...some of us do care about relationships or building friendships with both models & photographers....and having a good sense of humor is a great attraction I think

Jul 17 05 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Timothy

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Posted by S I E B: 
So, do all of us photographers sound like sleazy lounge lizards when we tag or message models?

If you're insinuating that we should stop telling models (tagging images) they look good in photos that they look good in... No, I don't think that's a good idea at all.

If your tags read something like "Need a hand taking that top off?" or "Damnnn, you sure look lonely on that bed all alone". Then yes, that's over the top.

That is all.

-TMH

Jul 17 05 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Rodgers

DELAND, Florida, US

I have to admit, ,I like to choose my words carefully when aproaching potential talent or models on the site. Without sounding like a Lounge Lizard, or a Leisure Suit Larry, I make an effort to sound professional. I say introduce myself my profession, maybe tell them I am working on a project that I think they would look good for. I tell them more of the project if they are interested, give them my card and wish them the best, and hop to hear from them. 

Keep in mind that women, especially models, love to be complimented on their look, their portfolio, etc. So with that in mind I don't really worry about it. 

Jul 17 05 11:10 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by Timothy M. Hughes: 
If your tags read something like "Need a hand taking that top off?" or "Damnnn, you sure look lonely on that bed all alone". Then yes, that's over the top.

I agree. Very juvenile and unprofessional.

"Hey, let's do a shoot and have crazy sex afterwards." That's MUCH more mature. Direct. No coy stupidity. That's gonna be my approach if I shoot with Theda.

Okay, seriously, let your work speak for itself. I've built a body of work and a rapport with so many models that it's pretty easy at this point for me to get anyone to shoot with me. I can be obnoxious online. I can be a huge flirt in person. But it's always about having fun and getting the great images. That shows in what you do. If your pictures have what it takes, no model will hesitate to pose with you.

Jul 17 05 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

S I E B

Ok, I'm going to hi-jack my own thread here...

Best ways to compliment a model (so that it doesn't compliment the photography)?:

You express mood well
You have a unique look
Etc...

Jul 17 05 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Eric Muss-Barnes: 
"Hey, let's do a shoot and have crazy sex afterwards."

lol

I like that one.

Jul 17 05 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by S I E B: 
Best ways to compliment a model (so that it doesn't compliment the photography)?:

You express mood well
You have a unique look
Etc...

Wow, that's boring!

Jul 17 05 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

When I am tagged I look at the person's port and find at least one photograph I can write nice things about. Then I write a short message (not a tag) thanking the tagger and pointing out the photograph I like. If the photographer or model is from some part of the US that I have been to I may write of this, too.

Jul 17 05 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

S I E B

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 

You express mood well
You have a unique look
Etc...

Wow, that's boring!

Well of course - ya think I'm giving out my best material?! lol

Jul 17 05 05:07 pm Link

Model

Barbray

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Posted by Timothy M. Hughes: 

I agree. Very juvenile and unprofessional.

"Hey, let's do a shoot and have crazy sex afterwards." That's MUCH more mature. Direct. No coy stupidity. That's gonna be my approach if I shoot with Theda.

Okay, seriously, let your work speak for itself. I've built a body of work and a rapport with so many models that it's pretty easy at this point for me to get anyone to shoot with me. I can be obnoxious online. I can be a huge flirt in person. But it's always about having fun and getting the great images. That shows in what you do. If your pictures have what it takes, no model will hesitate to pose with you.

Ummmmmmm Eric...

Theda and I have two VERY protective friends, Mungo and
Bubba...just be SURE to do your stretching exercises BEFORE
you approach Theda with that line...because SHE will turn you
into a pretzel and then FEED you to Mungo and Bubba.
((grinning))

smile)

Mollie

Jul 18 05 01:38 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by mollie_lane: 
Ummmmmmm Eric...

Theda and I have two VERY protective friends, Mungo and
Bubba...just be SURE to do your stretching exercises BEFORE
((grinning))

smile)

Mollie

Ha!

My ex insists on calling one of my cats Mungo. And she is very protective.... but mostly she'll just eat anything.

Jul 18 05 01:51 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by mollie_lane: 
do your stretching exercises BEFORE

Mollie is obsessed with her imaginary friends. But she's hot, so all of my personalities can forgive her. Right everyone?

Yes.
Yup.
Yeah.
Absolutely.
Uh huh.

Jul 18 05 02:28 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by mollie_lane: 
do your stretching exercises BEFORE

Mollie is obsessed with her imaginary friends. But she's hot, so all of my personalities can forgive her. Right everyone?

Yes.
Yup.
Yeah.
Absolutely.
Uh huh.

Eric saved me the trouble of getting the thread back on topic.

Jul 18 05 04:23 am Link