Forums > Photography Talk > Canon 7D vs. 40D for sports photography.

Photographer

Frank Stephens III

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I've been considering upgrading from my 40D to a 7D for action/sports shooting.

I was looking over the specs for both cameras and, aside for the video capabilities which I really doubt I'd use very much, the Canon 7D doesn't sound like enough of a step up to justify buying it.

Has anyone here shot with both yet? If so, please share your thoughts on them.

Nov 02 09 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

I'm thinking one major advantage would be the ability to select multiple active focus points. Certainly has to be an advantage over a single or all points..

Nov 02 09 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Stephens III

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Keith aka Wolfie wrote:
I'm thinking one major advantage would be the ability to select multiple active focus points. Certainly has to be an advantage over a single or all points..

Good point!
That's the one spec I forgot to check lol wink

Nov 02 09 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Marc Damon

Biloxi, Mississippi, US

There was a thread a few days ago with a link to Canon's website. It seems that there is an 'undocumented feature' of ghosting or double exposure when shooting under certain conditions in continuous mode. Until a fix is found and employed, using the 7D for action sports would be iffy at best... unless you like bugs in your photos. big_smile

Nov 02 09 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Tropic Light

Kailua, Hawaii, US

I've got both, although I'm still getting familiar with the 7D.  I think the video capability is a big plus, and you can switch to it quickly.  I like to shoot humpbacks during the winter and I know I won't be able to resist shooting video when there's a series of breaches going on. 

I still have more practicing to do with shooting stills of action, and I'm hoping the new AF system will work as advertised.  I think my old trusty 20D did a better job with action AF than my 40D.  Also, I'm liking the microfocus adjustment by lens feature.

Here's a still and a video the first day I shot with the 7D:

https://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/huey51/IMG_0068.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvSuG29JRm4

Nov 02 09 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

I use a 40D with the grip for sports shooting because of the fps, mostly, my other rig is a 5D mk1. I am happy with it as is for shorts shooting. the only ramp up I would look at next would be a 1, but the price is prohibitive and I have a hard time justifying it. Sports shooting just doesn't pay me as much as my idiot commercial and real estate/architechtural work. On a side note I did just buy a 24mm tilt shift and absolutely LOVE IT!

Nov 02 09 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Moon Pix Photography

Syracuse, New York, US

I am in the same boat OP.... but I would think that image quality would be improved along with noise... Looking forward to seeing what people say.

Nov 02 09 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

inTempus

Valparaiso, Indiana, US

I love Canon, but here we are again with all sorts of 7D issues being reported by owners on the DPReview forums.  Missed focus (AF problems), ghosting in images, and even continuous mode problems where the camera doesn't come anywhere near 8fps in various light conditions.

I'm sure Canon will get the bugs worked out, but if you live by your camera and you need to get those fast moving shots, the 7D might not be ready for prime time.  Let's just hope the problems aren't as severe as the 1D3 problems.

I would look at a 1D2n for the same money if you're needing those shots.  If you're just a hobbyist, you can probably work around the issues until Canon gets the fixes worked out.

Nov 02 09 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan C Smith

San Ramon, California, US

I don't see how any new canon camera under $2500 is better than the Canon 20d?  It's better than all the rebels, and if you have a 20d it's not worth getting a 30,40,50, or 7d for picture  quality. You'd have to go with a 5DII or 5D to see a difference.

Nov 02 09 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

MC 2

New York, New York, US

Marc Damon wrote:
There was a thread a few days ago with a link to Canon's website. It seems that there is an 'undocumented feature' of ghosting or double exposure when shooting under certain conditions in continuous mode. Until a fix is found and employed, using the 7D for action sports would be iffy at best... unless you like bugs in your photos. big_smile

Iffy? What does iffy mean? Are you saying you're more likey to have this problem than not?

I've shot over 10,000 images with my 7D and not had it once. Plenty were 8 fps.

A 7D would be way better than a 40D for my taste.

Nov 02 09 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

Moon Pix Photography

Syracuse, New York, US

Huh... haven't heard any negative things about the 7D... but then again, it is just on the market... I will have to check this out.

Nov 03 09 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

San Diego, California, US

I also recommend looking into a used 1D Mark II (or IIn, very minor differences between the two). They are made for sports and the autofocus and high frame rate really come in handy and they have excellent image quality too.

I've seen used 1D Mark II's in good condition on craigslist for under $1,000

Nov 03 09 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

myfotographer

Fresno, California, US

I shoot my sports with the 50D and dearly love it. Even at the high ISO's.

Nov 03 09 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Cox Photography

Santa Clara, California, US

inTempus wrote:
I would look at a 1D2n for the same money ...

1+

What sports are you shooting and what lenses are you using?  Do you use the motor drive?  Do you use flash?

Nov 04 09 01:55 am Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

Marc Damon wrote:

And those ghosts were 4-5 stops below the main exposed image, so they were ~1/32 the brightness of the image.  In the rare circumstances that they occurred.

Nov 04 09 02:12 am Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

inTempus wrote:
I love Canon, but here we are again with all sorts of 7D issues being reported by owners on the DPReview forums.  Missed focus (AF problems), ghosting in images, and even continuous mode problems where the camera doesn't come anywhere near 8fps in various light conditions.

I actually adore my 7D, but have to agree that there are firmware AF issues - I still can't force mine to wait for focus confirmation before it begins firing while in Servo despite repeated change to the CFns.

Nov 04 09 02:14 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

On my monitor it looks like about the 5th poster of the helicopter has some ghosting, or is it from down sizing

Look aft of the tail rotor and behind the landing gear

Nov 04 09 08:35 am Link

Photographer

Eduardo Frances

Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

Lee_Photography wrote:
On my monitor it looks like about the 5th poster of the helicopter has some ghosting, or is it from down sizing

Look aft of the tail rotor and behind the landing gear

That´s the effect of what the exhaust from the motor is throwing out.

Nov 04 09 08:39 am Link

Photographer

CS Art photography

Ocala, Florida, US

I use all lthe canons and from first hand experience ( I also shoot nikon) .  You would be far better of with a used Mark 2 or mark 2N  ( which you can get around $1500)   for sports action. MUCH better tracking and AF, the prosumer canons from the 20D to the 40D all have back focusing issues in Servo mode.  Its just a fact.   it wants to grab anything of higher contrast  in the scene.   the 1D series are MUCH more reliable.  If you dont believe me pick up a used 1D original     for 500.00   I still use mine ALL the time.   but sold my 20-30-40D    .

Nov 04 09 08:42 am Link