Forums > Model Colloquy > Make up question

Model

Leila

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

I know nothing about makeup. Whats the difference between concealer and foundation?

Jul 18 05 09:53 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Concealer covers or "conceals" a blemish or dark area of skin. It is applied where needed.

Foundation is the foundation. It is applied to the entire face and is the base over which all other colors are applied.

Jul 18 05 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

I dont know makeup but foundation i think you can put makeup over it. Concealer i think is for hiding blemish's.
The concealer is thicker and more for cheeks, forehead, neck areas i think. Foundation is more for around the eyes, cheekbones?
I dont know but its my guess anyways. Hell they both could be for fixing your driveway.

Jul 18 05 09:58 am Link

Model

Leila

I love how the guys answer this one. Thats basically what I thought. I would also assume that you apply foundation first and then concealer if you need it. Any women out there want to confirm that for me?

Jul 18 05 10:51 am Link

Model

munyeka

Arcadia, California, US

first you even you your skintone with concealer. then you cover that with your foundation. to seal it, use translucent loose powder. then you apply a powder blush. (if using a cream blush apply it before the loose powder) after all this is completed, then do eyes and lips. hope this helps.
xoxo -denise

Jul 18 05 02:11 pm Link

Model

Kat McGeough

Seattle, Washington, US

I do it the other way around.  Foundation first, then concealer where you need it.  Then powder, etc.  Most makeup books I've read say this is the preferable way.

Jul 18 05 02:15 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

I do concealer first, foundation second, if needed.
Anyway, concealer has more pigment and used for more coverage; blemishes, discoloration, tattoos( if they need to be covered).
Foundation is used to even out the overall skintone.  I like to do the concealer first because I usually don't use too much foundation if I don't have to.
Also, comcealer is used to cover up undereye circles, or at least diminish them.  I typically use a different shade than the overall concealer. It depends.
I think I just restated everything everyone else said...

Jul 18 05 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Tracey Masterson: 
I do concealer first, foundation second, if needed.
Anyway, concealer has more pigment and used for more coverage; blemishes, discoloration, tattoos( if they need to be covered).
Foundation is used to even out the overall skintone.  I like to do the concealer first because I usually don't use too much foundation if I don't have to.
Also, comcealer is used to cover up undereye circles, or at least diminish them.  I typically use a different shade than the overall concealer. It depends.
I think I just restated everything everyone else said...

I've seen most MUAs apply it in the order Tracey listed.

And I agree with the translucent facepowder to finish or seal.

Jul 18 05 09:02 pm Link

Model

trina

Blue Mountain, Alabama, US

This is more of a question than a comment, but it goes along with the original question.

What is the difference between the way you do your everyday make up and the way you do your make up for a shoot?

Many websites I've seen say to wear heavier make up when having pictures made.

(This question is on the assumption you are doing your own make up, with a MUA not available)

Jul 19 05 06:16 pm Link

Model

Leila

Posted by trinaconner: 

What is the difference between the way you do your everyday make up and the way you do your make up for a shoot?

Simple...for photoshoots I actually wear makeup.

In photos makeup always looks lighter than it would normally so yeah I would definetly say go a little heavier than you normally would.

Jul 19 05 06:24 pm Link

Model

Aurora

Dallas, Georgia, US

If I need concealer, I put it on first, and then foundation if I am going to wear it. Generally for photos I do wear foundation. How heavy the make up is depends on the kind of shoot it is. Just be careful to know how your foundation looks in a photo and make sure it's well blended so you don't get that stark orange face look. :p

Jul 19 05 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

orinxpress

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

I'm a photographer who actually took makeup classes. What's often called a concealer with professional makeup is called a neutralizer, and it goes on before the foundation. If there are red areas like zits or whatever, the red neutralizer is kind of a mustard green-yellow. For blue, such as under-eye bluishness or tattoos, The neutralizer is kind of orange-ish. Neutralizer is done first, just to correct for discolorations. Then foundation goes over it to match and even out the overall skintone.

If you were to put foundation on first, then neutralizers on top of it, you'd be risking having orange or mustard colors showing up on film. Especially if your foundation flouresces at all under the flash or other UV in the light source, you'd have all kinds of strange spots showing up from that makeup method in the photos.

Jul 20 05 04:30 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

The main thing to worry about when dealing with concealer or foundation is applying too much.  You want a nice round, but small enough to get into the curves on your face brush to apply foundation.  You also want to make certain that if there's lots of loose powder on the brush to dust it off.  Same thing for concealer, if you're using the liquid kind and there's tons of pigment on your fingers (fingers are best for blending product), then blot until you have a light amount and then spread.  If you need more, do more applications, just don't use lots of product in one sitting.

Edit:

The difference between day-to-day make-up for me, and shoot make-up is a) I actually wear some (I wear no make-up to work most of the time, & b) that I wear more.  I normally don't spend the time to do full make-up even when I do were it outside of modeling (the hour spend doing it is just too much time), and if I'm doing something that requires special make-up (like certain colors to show up), then I have to put it on heavy otherwise it won't show on camera for me.  (Atleast, that's what always happens to me.)

Jul 20 05 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

PhotographerMV

Norwood, Colorado, US

glamour aside, there should be no need for more than a little eye and lip coloring, any blemishes can just be cloned away.

please stop hiding behind it and falsifying the imagery. the lighting can be adjusted accordingly.

Jul 21 05 12:35 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by PhotographerMV: 
glamour aside, there should be no need for more than a little eye and lip coloring, any blemishes can just be cloned away.

please stop hiding behind it and falsifying the imagery. the lighting can be adjusted accordingly.

Wow. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Are you another joker, or blind?

Jul 21 05 12:40 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by trinaconner: 
This is more of a question than a comment, but it goes along with the original question.

Many websites I've seen say to wear heavier make up when having pictures made.

(This question is on the assumption you are doing your own make up, with a MUA not available)

Match the foundation to your skin tone. Always.

It should look similar to stage makeup.

Here is a link to a site that will show you what to do.

Click here for glamour makeup. Use menu on left to navigate.

Jul 21 05 12:45 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Makeup is vital for many types of photography, since our eyes can perceive a much wider light sensitivity range than film or digital sensors.  What that means is that we don't notice specular highlights caused by reflections in skin's natural oils when we look at people, but such highlights are obvious and ugly in photographs.  Makeup diminishes these highlights.

While the lighting CAN be adjusted accordingly, to do so is very limiting.  Using makeup is much easier, effective, and aesthetically pleasing.

Jul 21 05 12:54 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Besides, why would you "clone away" something in each shot rather than fixing it once with an MUA?

If you need 30 shots from a session, you are going to clone the pimple 30 times. That's a waste of time.

When he starts photographing models, he'll figure it out. Until then no more silly posts like that I hope.

Jul 21 05 01:01 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by PhotographerMV: 

Wow. That's pretty wrong in almost every way.

Jul 21 05 01:01 am Link

Model

Ugly Shyla

Austin, Texas, US

I usually just get "pancake" makeup and I can normally use it as both.Just apply it with a small brush for a concealer.

Jul 21 05 01:11 am Link

Model

NameRemovedPerUser

Perrysburg, New York, US

Is a pancake makeup like a dual coverage foundation (pressed powder that can be applied wet as well) or more like a cream to powder (turns to a matte finish as it dries) makeup? I've never tried true stage makeup, so I was very curious.

Asia Rocks :-D

Part of the fun of photography for me is getting to play with makeup for the shoot. And well applied makeup can totally change how a person looks (as can bad makeup).

Jul 21 05 08:25 pm Link

Model

trina

Blue Mountain, Alabama, US

Thanks for the link XtremeArtists. Very helpful.

I always enjoy reading your posts on the forums.

Jul 21 05 08:42 pm Link

Model

CreativeFacesbyV

Budd Lake, New Jersey, US

As a makeup artist I'm laughing at some of the BIG misconceptions I am reading here.

Please visit www.CurvyTrends.com. I believe I have the entire professional makeup procedure posted for the public to see. This is what your taught when getting certified.

Concealer---(undereye, blemish, etc).
Foundation----(the base to hold the rest of the makeup on throughout the day/event)

If your confused, please visit that website and the procedure is on the page I dedicated to a very experienced makeup artist/ image consultant dear friend of mine.

Hope that will clear some misconceptions up.

Veronica

Jul 21 05 09:10 pm Link

Model

CreativeFacesbyV

Ok I will just post it here.........You'll realize that professional makeup application does have a procedure involved.......

PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP APPLICATION TIPS

·         Use the best brushes you can afford. With proper care, they will last you a lifetime, and your makeup will look flawless!

·         Before applying any makeup, cleanse the face thoroughly and apply moisturizer

·         Let the moisturizer absorb into the skin.  Then apply foundation with a wedge-shape sponge for smoother application.  If you are “after 40â€?, use “light-reflectingâ€? or “age-defyingâ€? foundation

·         After applying foundation, check your face for blemishes and under-eye circles to see what was not covered by foundation. Use CONCEALER WHEEL to cover blemishes.  Use special under-eye concealer for dark circles. Do NOT use your fingers. Use special TAKLON concealer brush, which is washable and allows for flawless application.

·         Apply powder. Without setting your foundation with powder, your makeup will fade in a few hours! Use large POWDER BRUSH and TRANSLUCENT POWDER.

·         Apply highlighting and shading (if needed) with an ANGLED BRUSH.

·         Shape your eyebrows and fill them in with EYEBROW POWDER using special EYEBROW BRUSH (included in “Brush-on-Browâ€? kits)

·         Apply LIQUID EYE SHADOW BASE to the entire eyelid. Smooth it out with TAKLON concealer brush you used for concealer. Eyeshadow base will prevent your eye shadows from creasing and will give them something to hold on to.

·         Apply base color, which should be a neutral, flesh-tone color, to the entire eyelid using EYESHADOW BRUSH.

·         Apply powder eye shadow colors according to desirable design. Shape and sculpt your eyes by putting darker shades into the crease of the upper eyelid, and applying highlights above the iris of your eye and under the brow bone.

·         Apply CAKE EYELINER with the wet EYELINER BRUSH on the upper lid along the eyelashes. Apply same eyeliner with dry brush on the lower lid right below the lash line. Always emphasize outer corners of the eye!

·         Curl your lashes using HEATED EYELASH CURLER , which doesn’t pull out your lashes as opposed to old-fashioned curlers

·         Apply mascara. (If you are messy with mascara, reverse the routine: apply mascara first, clean all smudges, then apply eye shadow base eye shadows and eye liner).

·         Apply blush on the apples of your cheeks, then blend the color out. Use special BLUSHER BRUSH for maximum precision.

·         Apply pencil LIP LINER. “Pencil inâ€? the line, so the lipstick will hold longer.

·         Apply lipstick using LIP BRUSH, blot with a tissue, then re-apply lipstick for longer wear. You can reverse the procedure and apply lipstick first, finishing with lip liner. LIP LINER is essential, it will make your lipstick stay put and prevent it from “bleedingâ€? into tiny vertical lines around your lips

·         LIP GLOSS: can be applied, if desired, but on the middle of the lip, without touching lip liner. LIP GLOSS looks great, but tends to melt the lipstick and lip liner.

·         For photo portrait, your makeup should be more intense, because photo tends to “flattenâ€? the features. Use a lot of powder to prevent shine and freshen-up your makeup frequently during the shoot.

For the rest of this article and purchasing information of any of the items listed, please visit www.curvytrends.com and click the first page of the site.

Veronica

Jul 21 05 09:16 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

Oh my.

Jul 22 05 09:45 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

That reads more like an ad than good advice.

Jul 22 05 09:48 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by trinaconner: 
Thanks for the link XtremeArtists. Very helpful.

I always enjoy reading your posts on the forums.

There's one in every crowd...

Jul 22 05 09:58 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

This place sure is entertaining. 

Jul 22 05 11:24 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

oh and talk about great sites with makeup advice  www.camerareadycosmetics.com ....well, ok, really no advice but a great opportunity to place a gratuitous ad smile

Jul 22 05 11:30 am Link

Model

CreativeFacesbyV

Posted by theda: 

Sweetheart do you ALWAYS have to have condescending responses everywhere I post?? Whats your problem? Do you try to be rude or is it natural? Get off your high horse.

I got that procedure from my certification program. I thought it would help some girls out.

Didn't your mommy ever teach you if you don't have anything nice to say, STFU!

Jul 22 05 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

Posted by Veronica121679: 

Posted by theda: 

Sweetheart do you ALWAYS have to have condescending responses everywhere I post?? Whats your problem? Do you try to be rude or is it natural? Get off your high horse.

I got that procedure from my certification program. I thought it would help some girls out.

Didn't your mommy ever teach you if you don't have anything nice to say, STFU!

Veronica, you're my kind of lady!  Some people let a little moderator status go their heads.

Jul 22 05 12:00 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Herb Way: 
Veronica, you're my kind of lady!  Some people let a little moderator status go their heads.

Because I wasn't blunt before I was a moderator?

Absolutely Veronica. I'm just picking on you. Do you realize how you sound?

You've been slipping promotions for your website in all over the place.

Mary, you've clearly got solid experience in this field. Would you like to tell us how useful you find certification programs? And how useful would you find the bulk of Veronica's advice?

Jul 22 05 12:51 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Posted by theda: 

Posted by Herb Way: 

Because I wasn't blunt before I was a moderator?

Absolutely Veronica. I'm just picking on you. Do you realize how you sound?

You've been slipping promotions for your website in all over the place.

Mary, you've clearly got solid experience in this field. Would you like to tell us how useful you find certification programs? And how useful would you find the bulk of Veronica's advice?

well, I prefer not to take sides but I have been saying this for years and so I will repeat it again here.... makeup schools, classes, workshops etc are rarely worth a dime and certification means ZERO.  The problem is....most people teaching classes and workshops never made it in this business. 

I did go to the site Veronica Mentioned to read about the certification.  I assume this is the teacher? 
http://www.curvytrends.com/wst_page3.php

Veronica....Is this where you received your certification?  thats what it sounds like from your bio...if so I would ask what the qualifications this very nice lady has to teach makeup classes? 

Jul 22 05 01:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I looked at the following advice and inserted my thoughts after each bullet.

Ok I will just post it here.........You'll realize that professional makeup application does have a procedure involved.......

·         Use the best brushes you can afford. With proper care, they will last you a lifetime, and your makeup will look flawless!

Yes, good brushes are important.....they will not give you flawless application without an expert behind them

·         Before applying any makeup, cleanse the face thoroughly and apply moisturizer

Thats good advice

·         Let the moisturizer absorb into the skin.  Then apply foundation with a wedge-shape sponge for smoother application.  If you are “after 40â€?, use “light-reflectingâ€? or “age-defyingâ€? foundation

No, do not use light reflecting foundation for photography or you will get the look you see here http://www.curvytrends.com/wst_page3.php   light reflection makes the makeup appear pasty in photography.

·         After applying foundation, check your face for blemishes and under-eye circles to see what was not covered by foundation. Use CONCEALER WHEEL to cover blemishes.  Use special under-eye concealer for dark circles. Do NOT use your fingers. Use special TAKLON concealer brush, which is washable and allows for flawless application.

Not the way I do it.  I apply foundation then neutralizers over the foundation.  A real good foundation will cover well enough, you will rarely need an extra product to conceal...not if the foundation is a good one.  Some good artists do use concealers and some apply it first, whatever works is fine.

·         Apply powder. Without setting your foundation with powder, your makeup will fade in a few hours! Use large POWDER BRUSH and TRANSLUCENT POWDER.

The correct foundation will not fade for at least 8 hours, powder however is still a good idea so you wont look like a oil slick.

Ok, no issue here.

·         Shape your eyebrows and fill them in with EYEBROW POWDER using special EYEBROW BRUSH (included in “Brush-on-Browâ€? kits)

Thats ok advice

·         Apply LIQUID EYE SHADOW BASE to the entire eyelid. Smooth it out with TAKLON concealer brush you used for concealer. Eyeshadow base will prevent your eye shadows from creasing and will give them something to hold on to.

The newer better quality shadows do not crease but I have no problem with using  base 

·         Apply base color, which should be a neutral, flesh-tone color, to the entire eyelid using EYESHADOW BRUSH.

Why cover a flesh color with a flesh color?

·         Apply powder eye shadow colors according to desirable design. Shape and sculpt your eyes by putting darker shades into the crease of the upper eyelid, and applying highlights above the iris of your eye and under the brow bone.

this is right out of the 80's. not done any longer.

·         Apply CAKE EYELINER with the wet EYELINER BRUSH on the upper lid along the eyelashes. Apply same eyeliner with dry brush on the lower lid right below the lash line. Always emphasize outer corners of the eye!

nothing right about this.  All eyes are different so it may be true for a few eye shapes but not many

·         Curl your lashes using HEATED EYELASH CURLER , which doesn’t pull out your lashes as opposed to old-fashioned curlers

good advice!

·         Apply mascara. (If you are messy with mascara, reverse the routine: apply mascara first, clean all smudges, then apply eye shadow base eye shadows and eye liner).

this is fine.

·         Apply blush on the apples of your cheeks, then blend the color out. Use special BLUSHER BRUSH for maximum precision.

this again is assuming all faces are alike, your application depends on face shape

·         Apply pencil LIP LINER. “Pencil inâ€? the line, so the lipstick will hold longer.

80's advice. I rarely use lip liner

·         Apply lipstick using LIP BRUSH, blot with a tissue, then re-apply lipstick for longer wear. You can reverse the procedure and apply lipstick first, finishing with lip liner. LIP LINER is essential, it will make your lipstick stay put and prevent it from “bleedingâ€? into tiny vertical lines around your lips

Again, right out of an 80'2 hand book

·         LIP GLOSS: can be applied, if desired, but on the middle of the lip, without touching lip liner. LIP GLOSS looks great, but tends to melt the lipstick and lip liner.

Well, not if you are not using liner

·         For photo portrait, your makeup should be more intense, because photo tends to “flattenâ€? the features. Use a lot of powder to prevent shine and freshen-up your makeup frequently during the shoot.

again, right out of the 80's...with the advance of technology in photography this is no longer true.

For the rest of this article and purchasing information of any of the items listed, please visit www.curvytrends.com and click the first page of the site.

Veronica

Jul 22 05 01:40 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Thank you.

Jul 22 05 01:47 pm Link

Model

Jen-E

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I usually don't use two different makeups when I have to cover up blemishes. I use Dermablend. It's about 50 bucks an ounce and works as a concealer and foundation in one, also comes with the translucent powder. Dragqueens use it to cover their stubble on their face sometimes, which is where I learned it from. It also covers tattoos very well without caking makeup on your skin.

I wear a little foundation, eyeliner, gloss, and mascara on an every day basis unless I'm going out. If I'm doing a shoot I usually do what the photographer wants, sometimes they want a natural look and sometimes they want a made up look. They usually don't mind telling you how they want your makeup. I usually  just make sure I've defined my eyes for shooting, eyebrows, lip lines, etc.....

Jul 22 05 01:50 pm Link

Model

CreativeFacesbyV

Posted by Mary: 
I looked at the following advice and inserted my thoughts after each bullet.

Yes, good brushes are important.....they will not give you flawless application without an expert behind them

Thats good advice

No, do not use light reflecting foundation for photography or you will get the look you see here http://www.curvytrends.com/wst_page3.php   light reflection makes the makeup appear pasty in photography.

Not the way I do it.  I apply foundation then neutralizers over the foundation.  A real good foundation will cover well enough, you will rarely need an extra product to conceal...not if the foundation is a good one.  Some good artists do use concealers and some apply it first, whatever works is fine.

The correct foundation will not fade for at least 8 hours, powder however is still a good idea so you wont look like a oil slick.

Ok, no issue here.

Thats ok advice

The newer better quality shadows do not crease but I have no problem with using  base 

Why cover a flesh color with a flesh color?

this is right out of the 80's. not done any longer.

nothing right about this.  All eyes are different so it may be true for a few eye shapes but not many

good advice!

this is fine.

this again is assuming all faces are alike, your application depends on face shape

80's advice. I rarely use lip liner

Again, right out of an 80'2 hand book

Well, not if you are not using liner

again, right out of the 80's...with the advance of technology in photography this is no longer true.

Veronica

A million thanks for taking the time and effort of breaking down a very general professional makeup procedure. Of course everyone is different!!! On top of these basic procedures, like the one I posted (as a guideline) we received worksheets showing all face shapes, lip shapes eye shapes and the individual procedures for how to apply makeup to each situation. It was a very extensive program and to say it means ZERO, simply is your opinion. I agree to disagree, so be it. I don't know where YOU are, but in NJ you have to be certified to practice makeup legally, as far as I have been taught, and be licensed to perform facials, do eyebrow waxing, nails and things of that nature. Maybe I'll call Irina and get the specifics, since certain people here are hanging on every word I type........

Its all in training, of course one has to be an artist to begin with, but there are ALOT of tricks of the trade you are TAUGHT, and experience personally along the way.  I did get certified and trained by iMpeccable Image Inc. in Englewood NJ. Since I seem to be on trial here; here is my teacher's bio: http://www.image-and-beauty.com/biography.htm.

Oh and Theda, I don't understand what your problem is. Why your choosing to single me out like I am some bad guy. Seriously if you think I am trying to get any type of personal gain by sending them to curvytrends, your seriously delusional. Hey, your in NYC right? I am 15 minutes away if you'd like to come discuss this. haha.

First of all, YES I am trying to HELP models who are starting out and YES I have a web site for that. That is why I created CurvyTrends.com to begin with, to help aspiring models who wanted to do this as a career choice, but didn't know how to start out.

Why wouldn't I send someone there? Where I KNOW they are getting valuable info and they don't have to visit 20 different web sites with all types of different information. I personally did the research, talked to the industry professionals, seasoned models, agencies, photographers; had the personal experiences and put it all on one page for THEM. Its not any sort of self promotion, I PAY for the site out of pocket, NO ONE ELSE. I built it and I designed it & keep it running.

It is COMPLETEY NON PROFIT.

I am merely helping models who need advice, and some basic knowledge. That is my only intent. Now if that makes you want to single me out and respond to every post I make in a rude, unprofessional and condescending way, then you really need to find a better hobby, or "pick on" someone who deserves it, I work too damn hard to be judged by someone who has the "holier than thou" syndrome.

Get off my f'n back.

Jul 22 05 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

You have stuff for sale on the site, so it may not seem selfless to outsiders.

Non profit organizations pay salaries to employees, by the way.

Jul 22 05 02:27 pm Link

Model

NameRemovedPerUser

Perrysburg, New York, US

Ok while on the subject of foundation... Does anyone know of a good foundation for body? ie. to use on scars, blemishes, red areas etc.

Jul 22 05 02:33 pm Link

Model

Jen-E

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Makayla,

Again, Dermablend is the best for that type stuff. Mac is also a good brand if done right, but can leave a cakey look to it. both are very expensive but well worth the money. A little of dermablend goes a very long way, so although it's 50 dollars an ounce here in TN, it will last a while.

Jul 22 05 02:37 pm Link