Forums > Photography Talk > backgrounds

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Has anyone noticed how many photographers choose really ugly backgrounds.  I won't mention any names but I saw a forum regular who did that not just once, but three times.  Geez.  One was the most horrible mottled baby blue you ever saw in your life.

Paul

Jul 18 05 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Low Tek Photography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Has anyone notice how some photographers use the same backgrounds over and over? I won't name names, but I saw this forum troll that not just once, but 1000+ times used the same background and composition so every photo in his portfolio and website looked exactly the same. It was the most redundant boring body of work I've ever seen.

Low

Jul 18 05 10:42 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

No offense to you Paul because you do a great job lighting your backgrounds, but I'm tired of plain backgrounds myself.

They're utilitarian for catalogs, but for photography in general I think locations make the best backgrounds.

Jul 18 05 10:51 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by Low Tek: 
Has anyone notice how some photographers use the same backgrounds over and over?

Guilty, but I am getting another one soon...

Jul 18 05 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Low Tek Photography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Posted by Udo R Photography: 

Posted by Low Tek: 
Has anyone notice how some photographers use the same backgrounds over and over?

No you're not. You actually manage to go outside with your camera and lighting and take fantastic shots. =]

Jul 18 05 10:59 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by Low Tek: 

Posted by Low Tek: 

No you're not. You actually manage to go outside with your camera and lighting and take fantastic shots. =]

Oh... thanks... but honestly, I am trying for quite a while to get another fabric, a white on for backdrop. I do have a collapsible botero backdrop, but that is only good for portraits.

Thanks for the compliment anyway.

Udo

Jul 18 05 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

same here - I only have three... Black, white and blue but black worked always good for me and my style... Hard to do different if you're doing things "just for fun"...

Jul 18 05 11:07 am Link

Photographer

C Hansen Photography

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

Not sure who you're talking about but I agree with Xtreme, shooting either outside or on location is much more fun.  Outside cause it forces you to be alot more creative with everything.  From posing to lighting to everything.  Have to wait for the wind to die down, etc.  Much more fun and rewarding.

The Crazy Army Guy

Jul 18 05 11:11 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by Chris Hansen: 
Not sure who you're talking about but I agree with Xtreme, shooting either outside or on location is much more fun.  Outside cause it forces you to be alot more creative with everything.  From posing to lighting to everything.  Have to wait for the wind to die down, etc.  Much more fun and rewarding.

The Crazy Army Guy

I am really a location shooter, which I totally LOVE... I think working in a studio is a little bit more boring... I like environments, that's why my studio equipment is rather rudimentary.

Jul 18 05 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Blanchard

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

heck..im a poor photographer who wishes he could afford studio lights, backgrounds, etc. right now my studio is outside, but i would love to be boring and shoot inside. just to try it out.

Jul 18 05 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Backgrounds?  I have alot of 9ft paper rolls in many colors, even pink (a couple have some water stains from a ceiling leak once but can be cut). Haven't used paper in years and there in my way, some are still new. I also have some small headshot backgrounds.

First person to come (and you must take all of them) and pick them all up gets them, FREE!!!
Do not come with a car. You'll need a van or pickup.

email me.
[email protected]

Jul 18 05 11:40 am Link

Photographer

C Hansen Photography

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

Posted by Blanchard: 
heck..im a poor photographer who wishes he could afford studio lights, backgrounds, etc. right now my studio is outside, but i would love to be boring and shoot inside. just to try it out. 

I am really a location shooter, which I totally LOVE... I think working in a studio is a little bit more boring... I like environments, that's why my studio equipment is rather rudimentary. 

I feel your pains.  I'm just a lowly Army HR Manager.  I HAVE to shoot outdoors 90% of the time.  I finally got my first "studio shoot" at an open photo shoot.  It was nice having lighting available but I still prefer the out of doors.

Jul 18 05 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Being extremely light in complexion, I avoid outdoor shoots as much as possible. I don't like sunlight on my skin, it burns. Sunblock isn't too much help.

Jul 18 05 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by Low Tek: 
Has anyone notice how some photographers use the same backgrounds over and over? I won't name names, but I saw this forum troll that not just once, but 1000+ times used the same background and composition so every photo in his portfolio and website looked exactly the same. It was the most redundant boring body of work I've ever seen.

Low

Yeah, I need to get some models some tires to sit on.  In swimwear yet.  Definitely won't be boring, huh?

I agree with the others who shoot outdoors.  I just don't do that.  If models want to shoot outdoors there are plenty of photographers who will do that with them.

Paul

Jul 18 05 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Jibaili

not many models will do nudes outside these days, i have no idea what their problem is..lol..

i kid..

i like shooting outside, be it in a club / bar environment or even proper outside ie. beaches, parks, etc..  i'm in the process of getting a home studio setup and getting my lighting sorted out to do some more indoor work..

Jul 18 05 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

I hate using the same background twice, but if I have to, I will.  I'll just make sure it looks different in all of the shots.

Jul 18 05 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

PhotographerMV

Norwood, Colorado, US

i have a wall for a backdrop that pitches inward a foot in 7' high, i will just paint it however i did it in Ace *walden pond* eggshell, an antique ish Lt green, a memory of Hyde Park in the 60's

ill just paint it henna for whatever mood suites my immagination.
i also am playing around with the multitude of available 4' flourescent tubes, i just screwed several fixtures into the ceilling. i am partial to grow lights as the 6500K 'daylight' are just too bright ailbet a geater neutrality.

isnt 'white ballance' a great addition to composit photography.

Jul 18 05 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 
I hate using the same background twice, but if I have to, I will.  I'll just make sure it looks different in all of the shots.

That reminds me of a port of a guy from Vegas.  He shot all of his models on bright white. 

I'm gelling mine now and trying to come up with a few other ideas.  It doesn't matter to the models since my pics are going to look different from any others they have.

I tried buying a black venetian blind a couple of days ago.  No luck but maybe before Thursday.

Paul

Jul 18 05 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Low Tek Photography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Posted by Paul Ferrara: 
Yeah, I need to get some models some tires to sit on.  In swimwear yet.  Definitely won't be boring, huh?

Now what you need is a swift kick to the nuts. What you could use is an elementary school lesson in grammar.

That was a nice effort, but try and find a snappy come back when your work shows the smallest iota of creativity or quality.

Did you ever manage to leave your position at K-Mart? I ask because I think I saw this hanging up at Wal-Mart the other day.

Jul 19 05 08:17 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Wright

Lansing, Michigan, US

I love shooting outside but every now and again you have to shoot indoors. Sometimes I can get a location but more often then not I move my dining room table and shoot there. It's just big enough to put up a back drop. I have a solid black and I am getting a nice earth tone muslin later this week. My wall is also a nice tan so I can shoot against that and I also have a white sheer piece of fabric that can be used to. With the exception of the black back drop I haven't used any of the other stuff. The only time I tend to shoot indoors is lingerie or nudes. Most models don't want to shoot outdoors in in nothing or close to nothing unles it's a bikini. And I am still stockpiling out of the way locations that would be good for any type of risque shoot.

Chris

Jul 19 05 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Posted by Paul Ferrara: 
Has anyone noticed how many photographers choose really ugly backgrounds.  I won't mention any names but I saw a forum regular who did that not just once, but three times.  Geez.

Yup. See it all the time. Bad 1970's-style mass-market lighitng and makeup styling, too.

It's usually done by photographers unfamiliar with any aspects of the fashion market, commercial modeling, or other genre of the modeling "industry", and/or catering to new models who don't know better either.

It's akin to using bad portrait lighting* and fake-looking retouching on what's supposedly modeling portfolio images. But commenting on it doesn't help, as the ones speaking loudest are often the most clueless.

* Even good traditional portrait lighting can have a negative impact on fashion and commercial images, but the Picture People/K-Mart flat copylighting approach is a much easier way to kill a fashion image than a "bad" background. (C.f. Avedon't white series.)

Jul 19 05 11:08 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

I have a couple of plain backgrounds, but mostly I painted my walls blue, red, and green,

Star

Jul 19 05 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by Low Tek: 
That was a nice effort, but try and find a snappy come back when your work shows the smallest iota of creativity or quality.

I don't know what your problem is but let's talk quality for a minute.  You call this quality?

Nothing like putting the subject's head in the shadows.

All of your pics look like they were taken with, yep, K-Mart style flat lighting.  I never worked for K-Mart but you must have learned to light like that somewhere.

And hey, you keep going back to my old portraits.  The new ones are at the top of the page.  And here's one of the newer ones.  See that lighting?

https://www.paulsportraits.com/images/041104-11.jpg

Paul

Jul 19 05 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Low Tek:
Did you ever manage to leave your position at K-Mart? I ask because I think I saw this hanging up at Wal-Mart the other day.

Great - a pissing contest.  What's that saying about glass houses?

Jul 19 05 04:08 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Now boys...

Jul 19 05 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Posted by Sleepy Weasel: 
Great - a pissing contest.  What's that saying about glass houses?

Hmm... is it sometihng the President said?

"You know we have a saying down in Texas... fool me with a rock, you've fooled me twice... that is, if I'm in a glass house you can't fool me with glass. You know what I'm sayin'?"

- George W. Bush (paraphrased)

Jul 19 05 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Posted by Paul Ferrara: 
And here's one of the newer ones.  See that lighting?

https://www.paulsportraits.com/images/041104-11.jpg

Barely, through the mucked up retouching. (The glowing eyes and teeth aren't helping the image, but they're not a lighting or background issue-that's just bad retouching.)

As for the lighting, what I can see doesn't look very good. There's virtually no dimensionality, which is usually important in portrait photography. Bluntly, even though there are shadows, it looks to me like flat K-Mart lighting. Certainly not high-quality (or even mid-level studio quality) portrait lighting, and bears little resemblance to commercial or fashion approaches or results.

Perhaps your clients want something that looks like that. Mine don't, not the portrait clients, not the models, and not the commercial clients. (And the photographers I retouch for would dump me in a minute if I tried to pawn off results like that.)

My lighting isn't great, but it's getting better, if more slowly than I'd prefer. But that didn't start happening until I started seeing.

Jul 20 05 02:25 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

So what made you jump in here?  You thought LowTek needed some support?

I don't believe I touched the eyes or teeth but I don't feel like digging through my stack of CD's to find out.  I know I wouldn't have on the kid.  (Well, I just dug out the original file and the eyes and teeth are just as you see them.)  So much for your PS expertise.

As for the lighting, I'd say it's pretty damned good so we'll just have to agree to disagree. 

"Bluntly, even though there are shadows, it looks to me like flat K-Mart lighting."

Huh?  I won't even ask you to explain that.  Flat lighting doesn't have shadows.  And why the snide reference to K-Mart?  K-Mart and others use two lights permanently mounted at 45 deg angles to each other.  That give you flat lighting.  No shadows at all, IOW. 

And I just looked at your port and I only see a couple of images that have what I'd consider acceptable lighting.  The rest are flat - that means no shadows.  Yell if you want me to point them out to you.

Paul

Jul 20 05 06:12 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Paul is pretty good with his portrait lighting.  He still does though need to work on his touchup skills.  He does work with some great models.

Lowtek though needs to work on his lighting skills, but he needs no help in the artistic department.  I could see that he has a pretty creative mind.

This is coming from a guy who takes no sides.

Jul 20 05 06:58 am Link

Photographer

Barone Photography

Northampton, Pennsylvania, US

If you want an almost unlimited selection of backgrounds and have a large enough studio I recomend a product by Virtual Backgrounds called "The Scene Machine". It is not a green screne thing, it is an actual background projection system. So when you are composing the shot, you see the model infront of the actual background through the camera. It works great and as long as you have a slide, you have a background.
Had mine now for 3 years and have over 200 backgrounds. One of my best investments in equipment.

Michael

Jul 20 05 07:56 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Barone Studio: 
One of my best investments in equipment.

Well, that may be, but I didn't see it in any of the 20 photos in your port. Well, maybe one.

Jul 20 05 08:02 am Link

Photographer

Merle

Kennesaw, Georgia, US

Lighting BG's with gels works for variety in the studio. You only need white and black seemless. Light with a gel, then take test shot's changing 1 f-stop for each test shot.  You'll get a wide variety of shades...and say the BG shade you want, the apreture is at the oppisite end of where you want it, simply change paper from white to black (or visa versa), and you'll get the same BG shade with a larger/smaller apreture. Then you can print the test shot series to easily get to the color BG you desire. Just another way to get some variety in studio.

Merle

Jul 20 05 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by Barone Studio: 
...I recomend a product by Virtual Backgrounds called "The Scene Machine"....

What's it like?  I used a friend's machine that attaches to one of my lights.  The problem was I couldn't get it on the correct angle to get parallel lines.  Where do you put this thing?

Paul

Jul 20 05 08:58 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by Merle: 
Lighting BG's with gels works for variety in the studio.

I'm sort of doing that now.  My avatar was a brown background with a red gel.  No good for full-length shots though.  I also need to get it back further than I have it but I don't have the space to do that.

Paul

Jul 20 05 09:01 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

It's the age old debate between portrait vs. model photography.  Some understand the difference and purpose, some don't.

Regardless, what continually gets lost in the translation is the story the image tells, not the photography itself be it great lighting and composition or not. 

Countless presentations are highly effective in Ad campaigns because technical rules are broken, not followed, which is death to the portrait photographer.  Equally, following strict rules can be viewed as sterile in presentation that can work against those in Adverts by limiting the perception and ability to set trends, not follow them for standing out amongst the crowd.

Creating the balance and walking that fine line of both is the tricky part and the reason it is so tough.  Few do it well.

Liken it to cooking a meal.  What matters is the taste, not strict adherance to a recipe...

Jul 20 05 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by area291: 
It's the age old debate between portrait vs. model photography.  Some understand the difference and purpose, some don't.

I think we've really branched off here.  #1, I never claimed to be the greatest photographer on MM, and I don't.  My lighting is pretty good though, and it's not just me saying that.  As for posing, well, I have a lot to learn in that area.  As for creativity, I think you're born with it.  But the issue here was "flat lighting," as seconded by Mr. Connery, not creativity or posing capability.  If flat lighting equals K-Mart lighting, then most of his work fills the bill.  In reality, I think he just jumped in here and took LowTek's side of the argument.

Paul

Jul 20 05 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Low Tek Photography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Posted by Paul Ferrara: 
I don't know what your problem is but let's talk quality for a minute.  You call this quality?

Nothing like putting the subject's head in the shadows.

All of your pics look like they were taken with, yep, K-Mart style flat lighting.  I never worked for K-Mart but you must have learned to light like that somewhere.

And hey, you keep going back to my old portraits.  The new ones are at the top of the page.  And here's one of the newer ones.  See that lighting?

http://www.paulsportraits.com/images/041104-11.jpg

Paul

Sigh...

I give up. I've shown 10 year old how to appreciate art. Its just something with the internet and ignorance that go hand-in-hand.

See Paul, this is my point. A glaring point that you keep failing to realize. I'm going to explain myself to you calmly in hopes that you will listen, because while roasting your ignorance on these forums has been entertaining for the past week, its now getting old.

Your photography isn't bad in quality, I never said it was (with the exception of your fake HOT MODELS magazine covers, sorry man those are just terrible), its just redundantly boring. There are MANY sub-genres of photography. Portrait, Glamour, Nude, Artistic, etc etc. Each style uses its own trademark lighting/posing/composition techniques that allows it to be categorized as such. You concentrate on one aspect of that, portrait photography, and you have gotten good at it. Because of that, your entire body of work looks the same. You believe the same techniques you apply in your style should apply to all forms of photography, and the real world doesn't operate like that. There is more to photography than just lighting. There is composition, movement, color, shape, and form. You seem to think that lighting is the key to being a terrific photographer, and well, you're wrong.

Going by your ego-centric asinine comments here on the forums, your portfolio, and your website I can tell that you've never explored other forms. Therefore, you don't don't have a place to comment on other forms and styles of photography because you simply don't have the experience. You're so full of yourself that can't even go without posting an example of your own work to prove your point. The fact that newbie photographers take your rude comments as gospel terrifies me. And trust me, I don't need back up to prove my point. A lot of people came to same conclusion about your work, I just happened to be the first person to call you out on it.

You have this text book idea of what every photo should look like. Its like Da Vinci criticizing Van Gogh on his style of painting.

Actually, let me try to make it even simpler for you.

There many different flavors of ice cream out there. I enjoy Cookie Dough, Chocolate Mint, Cherry, and sometimes Oreo Cookie ice cream. You like Vanilla. To you, its the best flavor ever created. The difference between you and... well pretty much the rest of the community here, is that you're the only one trying to cram Vanilla down everyone's throats saying that its the only flavor in existence. Try another flavor Paul, come back here and post your findings. Who knows you might like it.

Jul 20 05 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by Low Tek: 
I give up. I've shown 10 year old how to appreciate art.

Well, that's good because if I wanted art lessons you'd be the last guy I'd come to.  If you think it takes creativity to put a vinyl dress on someone and then light her boobs instead of her face, we'll that's not art, that's just bad photography.

And I'm not an artist, I'm a photographer.  I take pictures that models can use in their portfolios.  That's what I do and that's why models shoot with me.  Your idea that my pictures look alike is silly.  The only common thread is that they're all taken in a studio.  No one looking at this page could have reached that conclusion.

http://www.paulsportraits.com/fashion/f … orites.htm

As far as me posting a picture or two in a message now and then, well I do it when it illustrates a point.  Get over it.

And take some lighting lessons.

Paul

Jul 20 05 11:00 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Frankly, you all suck, but you suck for different reasons.

Feel better?

Jul 20 05 11:04 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Just an observation. All the model portfolios and comps I see from agency models show 80% lifestyle. The rest are fashion or glamour. None show studio portrait.

Jul 20 05 11:07 am Link