Forums > Photography Talk > Need advice using Photoshop CS.

Photographer

Blanchard

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I had some slides printed out as 4x6 prints. Now I want to scan them onto my computer, edit a little bit, then save them to be printed out as 5x7 size so I can mount them.

1) If I scan at say 1200 DPI...I could always resize the scans to 5x7 format. My problem is what pixel width and height would equal 5 x 7 when I resize?

2) If I edit and make an color image sepia toned or other enhancements to it..how well does that print out after i save in jpeg mode? i want to print it out at the local photo shop or upload to MPIX and have them printed.

Thanks for any help. I realize printing size for 5 x 7 is different than scan pixel size..but what final format should i save the image as...?

William

Jul 18 05 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Posted by Blanchard: 

I had some slides printed out as 4x6 prints. Now I want to scan them onto my computer, edit a little bit, then save them to be printed out as 5x7 size so I can mount them.

Provided you can get a good resolution from the scan, I would always use the highest resolution possible when it comes to editing and printing.

1) If I scan at say 1200 DPI...I could always resize the scans to 5x7 format. My problem is what pixel width and height would equal 5 x 7 when I resize?

If you want to print at 5x7 i would see what the photo looks like at that size and 8x10 first. I would try to optimise it at 8x10 so when printing at the 5x7 it will look better.

2) If I edit and make an color image sepia toned or other enhancements to it..how well does that print out after i save in jpeg mode? i want to print it out at the local photo shop or upload to MPIX and have them printed.

Trial and error. I usualy use jpeg. Do the local printing first before you spend money on the mpix and you dont like them.

Thanks for any help. I realize printing size for 5 x 7 is different than scan pixel size..but what final format should i save the image as...?

For printing i use jpeg. I would scan at the highest resolution you can, it will take more time but for editing and printing it will be worth it.

William

The other thing i would suggest is if you still have the original photo you got the slide from, i would take that down and have it put on a CD or floppy to do all this. Using the original will give you way better results than the slide. If you can get a decent image from the slide i suppose you can have the slide transfered to a floppy or CD also. (never worked with slides before)  Good Luck, i hope this helped.

Jul 18 05 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

ALso you can just have the slide printed at the 5x7 at the local place and then have the slide put on floppy to put into yuor computer.

Jul 18 05 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Blanchard: 

William

Scanning the slides would be best if you can get your hands on a film scanner or transparancy adapter for a flatbed.

Output resolution will depend on the equipment used to print (i.e. Fuji Frontier, Fujitsu, etc..), usually 300 to 400 dpi.

Drycreekphoto.com has info about setting up your files and color profiles for local labs.

Save as JPG on maximum quality if you must. I use TIF.

Jul 18 05 01:59 pm Link