Forums > Photography Talk > What make a commercial photo? What makes a commercial model?

Photographer

New York, New York, US

What make a commercial photo? What makes a commercial model?

I have my thoughts but this is an often neglected topic.   It is usually that pays the best for both models and photographer.   It also allows for more opportunities.

Jul 18 05 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Well the two are very different. A commercial looking model is pretty close to a catalog model.

A commercial photo is different and has to do with the professional production of the shoot. In this case, every aspect of the photo has to be taken into consideration. The model has to look like she/he would have been casted for that particular job. The hair and makeup has to be professionally done as well. The clothing also has to be crisp and styled.

Jul 18 05 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

I would think the ability of the model to portray the subject of the shot in such a way that people remember it. Her ability to blend in the background and still look good and still make the subject the main focus.
If the subject is shot correctly, that will forever make the model a key to that product. (Like the heiniken girl, or maybelline girl, or the acne cream girl).
Having the title of the girl from "That" commercial on TV will boost her career and the product.

Jul 18 05 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I think what Fred said would apply to both commercial print and fashion.

Jul 18 05 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

Blanchard

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I'm always told my photographs are commercial or editorial style. I don't start the photo shoot that way, it just ends up looking commercial. You mean there is money to be made with my style? yikes)

Jul 18 05 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

StevenNoreyko

Austin, Texas, US

"commercial" when it comes to models and model photography means catalogs and advertising. 

Typically this is "lifestyle" work - pictures of good looking people doing stuff that people do. The models for commercial work are regular good looking people, but not always beautiful in a fashion magazine way.

Some catalogs have a specific look - like REI or Patagonia - Good looking people in the outdoors using the products in the catalog.  Some catalogs are very plain - just people against a basic background (or dropped out).

FWIW - For the unwashed masses - there's no real money to be made in Fashion/Glamour like you see in the magazines - Its a VERY small market and there's tons of kickass shooters in NYC/Miami/LA that gobble up that work - or that do the magazine work for free so they can try to get the advertising work (where the money is).

Jul 19 05 12:52 am Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

I like to describe a commercial look as when the model is a vehicle for a product. Whether that's for clothing where the model really is a vehicle for the product, or for a product where attention is drawn to the product as a result of the model.

Jul 19 05 03:30 am Link

Photographer

Isaac Klotz

Oakland, California, US

wouldn't a commercial photo be defined by its intention?  i don't think that commercial can be assigned to any particular look or style.  if the photo is created as part of an advertising campaign, or if its promoting a product, i would call it a commercial photo.  this could be for print, web, a cool late night infomercial, your little sisters lemonade stand, etc.. 

for me, the look has nothing to do with it.  for instance, a commercial photo could be shot with a point and shoot camera, disposable camera, camera phone, medium format, hi res digital, anything which sells right?

Jul 20 05 05:05 am Link

Photographer

Isaac Klotz

Oakland, California, US

Posted by Blanchard: 
I'm always told my photographs are commercial or editorial style. I don't start the photo shoot that way, it just ends up looking commercial. You mean there is money to be made with my style? yikes)

if they look commercial, what are they selling?  you should mock up some commercial print adds on spec and market your talent.  maybe you can get a local clothing company to hire you, or levis.

Jul 20 05 05:11 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

commercial print is more about acting in an image, portraying a character in a situation..

Jul 20 05 07:50 am Link