Forums > Photography Talk > Studios - where do you get them?

Photographer

DumDum Productions

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

I'm looking for a cheap studio so I'll always have a place to shoot. Nothing fancy, just 4 walls and some electricity. My apartment has turned into a warehouse full of equipment and boxes and I can't afford a house. I've been looking over realtor's listings but not having much luck. Anybody have some alternatives? Some obvious idea that I should have thought of?

Jul 18 05 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Rent a garage.

smile

M

Jul 18 05 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Try craigslist under housing.

Jul 18 05 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Lots of photographers have a studio they're willing to rent out for a few hours at a time.  Look for listings on some of the other model sites.

Paul

Jul 18 05 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

Andre Knudsen

REGO PARK, New York, US

It's a little bit more than 4 walls and outlets. A bathroom and a changing room for the model should be the minimum. You might want to have space for MU work, mirror and lights etc.

To start I would go with Paul's suggestion of renting space.

Jul 18 05 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

StevenNoreyko

Austin, Texas, US

Paul,

Paul F. makes a good point - But I would call around to area photographers and see if they will rent studio time to you. There's more than a few commercial photogs in Grand Rapids.  You could also take the approach of offering assisting or cleaning the studio in exchange for some studio time.

ASMP Michigan has Classified Ads - some of which are studio rental related (although not in your area). Check out the rest of that site to find area photogs...

Jul 19 05 12:38 am Link

Photographer

Sid Ceaser

Nashua, New Hampshire, US

If you have any old mill buildings in your area - go check those out for spaces.   Sometimes you can get them for really cheap.

Jul 19 05 07:16 am Link

Photographer

Tuesday Rene

FORT CAMPBELL, Kentucky, US

I once rented a small airplane hangar for a shoot.
It had an office with bathrooms in it for the models.
Worked out great.

Jul 19 05 10:39 am Link

Photographer

DumDum Productions

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Thanx, everyone - those are all great ideas! I knew there had to be alternatives, but I couldn't think of anything.

Ah, the mind is the first thing to go...@_@

Jul 19 05 10:48 am Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

LOts of photographers are very smart about how they can make money.  Some will even share studio space.  Not rent it on a per use bases but you pay monthly rent and get to use that photographers facilities.  Ask around.

Jul 19 05 10:55 am Link