Forums > General Industry > What quality images for TFCD?

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

I have heard various opinions in different forums....When you do a TFCD session, what resolution do you provide on the CD for the model? Some say just give a web-ready, post-processed CD. Images the model can post wherever she wants but not really printable. On the other extreme, I have heard some give full-resolution images both pre and post-processed.

I am of the mind that providing the former would protect my copyright on the images better. I am not in this for the money, but I am enough of a capitalist that if someone is wanting to pay for a shot out of my studio, I should be included in the compensation. Obviously, that means the reverse is true and I would compensate the model is someone offered to buy a shot from me as well.

I'm still learning. Your input is appreciated.

Jul 19 05 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Sandy Ramirez

Brooklyn, New York, US

I usually provide a CD with three resolution - One at print resolution, one at 600x900 and one at 450x600 - all post processed.

Jul 19 05 05:09 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I either want 300 dpi 9x12 image files or the prints themselves. "TF-tiny web-sized jpg" isn't very useful.

Jul 19 05 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by theda: 
I either want 300 dpi 9x12 image files or the prints themselves. "TF-tiny web-sized jpg" isn't very useful.

I agree with theda,  it is standard for models to have print books that are 9x12.  In the future I may tweek contracts and releases to protect myself  for I am not used to the web.

Do not give out all images and shoot raw and NEVER give raw images will protect you.

Jul 19 05 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

ClevelandSlim

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Posted by marksora: 
...and NEVER give raw images will protect you.

for the images that you do give to the model, why should she not be able to get RAW images?

I guess your reasoning behind this is so you can watermark the photographs?

ClevelandSlim

Jul 19 05 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

studiomona

Since I am fairly new to TFPs myself, I want to ask both models and photographers how many images do you receive/give for doing TFCDs? Is there a set number per hours worked?

Thanks in advance. ( I hope I am not intruding on the thread by interjecting another question but I think they are related) But please advise me if I have to start a new thread for my question.

-mona

Jul 19 05 06:19 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Posted by studiomona: 
Since I am fairly new to TFPs myself, I want to ask both models and photographers how many images do you receive/give for doing TFCDs? Is there a set number per hours worked?

Thanks in advance. ( I hope I am not intruding on the thread by interjecting another question but I think they are related) But please advise me if I have to start a new thread for my question.

-mona

Mona, you'll find as many answers as there are photographers!  I've had collaborations that range from getting all the images burned to CD before I leave the shoot, to getting three post-processed web size images a couple of months later.  And everything in between. 

Basically, you'll need to figure out what you're comfortable with, and let prospective models know up front how you handle things. 

Hope that helps!

Jul 19 05 06:44 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Posted by ClevelandSlim: 

Posted by marksora: 

for the images that you do give to the model, why should she not be able to get RAW images?

ClevelandSlim

The reason I've been told is that doing so is the digital equivalent of handing over one's negatives.

Jul 19 05 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Posted by Shyly: 

Posted by ClevelandSlim: 

Posted by marksora: 

ClevelandSlim

The reason I've been told is that doing so is the digital equivalent of handing over one's negatives.

It's not quite as bad as handing over one's negatives, since one can keep as many exact copies of RAW files as one wants. 

I compare it to handing over the first draft of an essay.  RAW files are just that, raw.  They are not finished.  I want only my best work to be seen, so I make the proper edits before releasing any photo.

And some people like to watermark them.

Jul 19 05 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

And on to answer groupw's question, I give both full resolution for printing and low resolution for email and web use.  I don't just give full resolution because resampling creates a need for additional sharpening that I don't expect anyone else on my teams to understand.

Jul 19 05 07:01 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Thank you for the clarification, Brian!  That makes sense.

Jul 19 05 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Lone Shepherd

Purcellville, Virginia, US

Although Brian went over this briefly, I'll touch on it again.  A camera's "raw" format is completely unprocessed data straight from the camera's imaging sensor.  It's not even a color image yet -- since most digital cameras do not have full color pixel sites, they use an array of color filters, so that pixels alternate in what color range they are sensitive to (generally Red/Green/Blue/Green/Red etc and then offset one for each row).

From that mess of data a post-processing routine must be applied to convert the image into color, convert it to fit within a certain color space, and just like in a darkroom, adjustments can be made to exposure, contrast, color balance, etc etc.

Raw files are the digital equivalents of film negatives.  No one keeps my raw files but me.

To answer the original poster's question:

For TFP, at the time of the shoot I generally provide the model with a CD with all of the images, unprocessed, as small jpegs.  These are for the model's personal use only -- so the model can study her poses, see what works, what doesn't, etc.  They are not to be publicly used in any form.

I will then post-process up to 10 photos of their choosing for them to use in their portfolio / on the web / whatever.  I will provide these as 300ppi ready-to-print digital files, and if they would like, have them professionally printed.  I'll also provide appropriately downsized and web-ready versions of these images.

Jul 19 05 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

I generally give 3-5 9x12 300dpi finished tiffs for compcards, books etc. in addition to watermarked web res jpegs (of the above) for online portfolio use.  Usually I'll go through all the shots with the model looking over my shoulder, but I don't provide every shot on a tfp, not even low res jpegs- too much time and effort when shooting raw...only paying clients get everything.

Jul 19 05 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

CameraSight

Roselle Park, New Jersey, US

Do you watermark your high rez, 300 dpi images that are meant for printing when doing TCFCD? I would assume so but just wanted to get additional feedback

Posted by Lone Shepherd: 

Although Brian went over this briefly, I'll touch on it again.  A camera's "raw" format is completely unprocessed data straight from the camera's imaging sensor.  It's not even a color image yet -- since most digital cameras do not have full color pixel sites, they use an array of color filters, so that pixels alternate in what color range they are sensitive to (generally Red/Green/Blue/Green/Red etc and then offset one for each row).

From that mess of data a post-processing routine must be applied to convert the image into color, convert it to fit within a certain color space, and just like in a darkroom, adjustments can be made to exposure, contrast, color balance, etc etc.

Raw files are the digital equivalents of film negatives.  No one keeps my raw files but me.

To answer the original poster's question:

For TFP, at the time of the shoot I generally provide the model with a CD with all of the images, unprocessed, as small jpegs.  These are for the model's personal use only -- so the model can study her poses, see what works, what doesn't, etc.  They are not to be publicly used in any form.

I will then post-process up to 10 photos of their choosing for them to use in their portfolio / on the web / whatever.  I will provide these as 300ppi ready-to-print digital files, and if they would like, have them professionally printed.  I'll also provide appropriately downsized and web-ready versions of these images.

Jul 19 05 09:45 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I do like to get a CD of everything in proof form so I can choose the shots I want/need.  Typcially, I only want 1-2 shots per look, max, in final form.

I HATE visible watermarks on my prints. It looks cheesey. I won't use watermarked shots for my real book.

Jul 19 05 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

Lone Shepherd

Purcellville, Virginia, US

I generally give 3-5 9x12 300dpi finished tiffs for compcards, books etc. in addition to watermarked web res jpegs (of the above) for online portfolio use. Usually I'll go through all the shots with the model looking over my shoulder, but I don't provide every shot on a tfp, not even low res jpegs- too much time and effort when shooting raw...only paying clients get everything.

I go with 300 ppi Level 10 JPEGs, which is perfect for print.  TIFFs aren't necessary, nor do most print places (even pro places like WHCC) accept them.

Also, I shoot RAW + small jpeg -- then I just burn them a CD of the jpegs that the camera processed.  These are relatively low resolution (~2 megapixels or so) shots that the model can use to pick her faves, as theda mentioned.  These are basically proofs; not to be seen by anyone except the model and the photographer.

Do you watermark your high rez, 300 dpi images that are meant for printing when doing TCFCD? I would assume so but just wanted to get additional feedback

No.  I give them the images unmolested, and trust that the models I work with to appropriately credit my work.  If someone loves a shot, they'll ask her who did it.  I see no reason to sully the print with a tag of any kind.

Jul 20 05 01:14 am Link

Model

NameRemovedPerUser

Perrysburg, New York, US

I alot of times like to receive images with a non-distracting watermark on them (I don't want the photographers name plastered across my body) typically at the bottom of the photo or in a corner. That way I can give them proper credit and it will direct anyone who enjoys the style a particular shot of me direction to finding that photographer as well. When a photographer allows me to use the photos on my site I also like to have a short bio and links to their site/work as well to add to the site. I don't think it's right NOT to give a photographer credit and direct people to him.

I agree with Theda. 300 dpi in jpg is what I like as well, especially given that I like to have some prints done to be framed and hung in my home.

Jul 20 05 01:33 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

I give TFP/CD models the following:

1) Prints, any size they want up to 11x14 (I always recommend 9x12 as that's a fairly standard and expected portfolio size.) They will get anywhere from six to eight prints depending on how long the shoot was and how many good images I got. (8 prints means the shoot was extra-hard, six is almost always the number.) I will sell the model additional prints at my cost for a reasonable time after the shoot.

If the model is just starting out and doesn't have a book I will usually deliver the prints in an Itoya portfolio. They don't cost too much and it keeps the prints nice. Plus the models like it. smile

2) CD with a web-gallery format index, pics at 600px in the longest dimension. The model sees these and picks her favorites, which I then deliver on a CD as uncompressed JPEGs at 1200px in the longest dimension. The CD also has a release on it which allows the model to print the images up to a certain size.

I used to put copyright notices on my pics but I'm just too lazy to do it anymore. Sometimes if I feel the images are particularly salable (theme shoots) I'll watermark them unobtrusively on the previews, since she gets *all* the retouched shots, but I never put anything on her promo pics.

The model never even *sees* an unretouched picture: all the web-gallery preview/proofs are retouched. I don't give out RAW or layered images, period.

M

Jul 20 05 09:09 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by ClevelandSlim: 
ClevelandSlim

Why would a photographer want a model to muck with work in photoshop?

Jul 20 05 09:12 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by studiomona: 

-mona

Photographers who charge will usually give a model 2 to 4 images per look. Anymore is useless for a portfolio. There's no reason a model who is not paying should be getting more images than the ones who pay.

A web catalog or CD as theda mentioned is a great way to let the model pick the shots. Then you only do photoshop editing on the images the client selected.

I recommend you give 9x12 prints with no watermark along with low res watermarked versions of the files. I also recommend you charge for the prints. You are already putting more time into the session than the model by editing in photoshop. There's no reason they cannot at least pay the cost of making the prints.

Posted by theda: 
I do like to get a CD of everything in proof form so I can choose the shots I want/need.  Typcially, I only want 1-2 shots per look, max, in final form.

I HATE visible watermarks on my prints. It looks cheesey. I won't use watermarked shots for my real book.

Jul 20 05 09:13 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by Brian Diaz: 

Posted by Shyly: 

It's not quite as bad as handing over one's negatives, since one can keep as many exact copies of RAW files as one wants. 
I compare it to handing over the first draft of an essay.  RAW files are just that, raw.  They are not finished.  I want only my best work to be seen, so I make the proper edits before releasing any photo.
And some people like to watermark them.

As of now if you never give out the RAW image but convert it to a TIFF even then you do have a negative for then the image can be proved to be in your posssesion.   
The point I was making did not have to do with watermarking an image.  If you give it away then yes,  you lose control and it could be copied.  This also goes to why one should not give all of the images.

Jul 20 05 09:17 am Link

Photographer

studiomona

Thanks guys for replying to my side query as well. I am not too far off the way I handle my TFCDs then;)

Great thread! smile

Jul 20 05 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Posted by StMarc: 
2) CD with a web-gallery format index, pics at 600px in the longest dimension. The model sees these and picks her favorites, which I then deliver on a CD as uncompressed JPEGs at 1200px in the longest dimension. The CD also has a release on it which allows the model to print the images up to a certain size.

May I ask why 1200px?  It seems like a size too big for the web, but too small to print.

The model never even *sees* an unretouched picture: all the web-gallery preview/proofs are retouched.

Doesn't this make for a lot of retouching of photos that never get used?  About what percentage of the photos do the models get to see?

I do let the entire team see all the photos (well, all the photos that I didn't screw up smile ) because I know that my criteria are different from the models', which are different from the MUAs', etc.

Thanks!

Jul 20 05 10:44 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

If there is time. I show them all the photos on my laptop right after the session and flag the images they like in Photoshop's Browser. Works great for RAW images. If I do this, I can skip making a CD or web catalog.

Jul 20 05 10:50 am Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Thank you everyone for your input. This helps a lot. My first shoot, I gave a CD with all images from the shoot at 800 on the long side. All shots had basic processing for levels and color correction. The better shots, of course were processed a little further. I am still old-school enough to shoot MF film.  The negative issue is moot until I can afford digital.

For those who say it's too much work to process all shots...my workflow for initial processing only takes a few mouseclicks per shot. Thanks again everyone..

Jul 20 05 11:27 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

If there is time. I show them all the photos on my laptop right after the session and flag the images they like in Photoshop's Browser. Works great for RAW images. If I do this, I can skip making a CD or web catalog.

That must save you gobs of time!  Does it make you twitchy at all that doing so means the model sees the not-so-great shots, too?  I've talked to photographers who say that the key to people thinking you know what you're doing is never letting them see the mistakes.  *grin*

Jul 20 05 11:30 am Link

Photographer

00Philip00

Vass, North Carolina, US

Man,.... What a GREAT time to be a model - I might seel my camera equipment and take it up - ANY photogs wanna TFCD a male model ??? (00)

Jul 20 05 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Shyly: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

That must save you gobs of time!  Does it make you twitchy at all that doing so means the model sees the not-so-great shots, too?  I've talked to photographers who say that the key to people thinking you know what you're doing is never letting them see the mistakes.  *grin*

MUAs and stylists broke me of the habit of not showing anyone. They like to see how it's looking "on film" so to speak.

I come off looking pretty good if I'm not worried about showing all the shots. The bad ones don't look much worse than the good ones. Which could be a good or bad thing depending on what one thinks of the good ones.

My work needs to get better overall, so this isn't an egotistical statement, but the comment I hear most is that all the shots look great, and some clients get upset they can't have all the shots without paying additional for them.

Jul 20 05 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Brian Diaz: 

Posted by StMarc: 

May I ask why 1200px?  It seems like a size too big for the web, but too small to print.

Because it's plenty o' pixels to submit to most places that might want one, even to contests, where 600px might be a little small. It's plenty big to print something in the 5x7 range, which is enough for a comp card as well. But it's not enough for really big prints, which is sort of the idea. smile

The model never even *sees* an unretouched picture: all the web-gallery preview/proofs are retouched.

Doesn't this make for a lot of retouching of photos that never get used?  About what percentage of the photos do the models get to see?

They don't get used by the models, no. Who knows what I might do with them? I retouch the ones that, in my opinion, are worth retouching, and then I have them if I want them.

I do let the entire team see all the photos (well, all the photos that I didn't screw up smile ) because I know that my criteria are different from the models', which are different from the MUAs', etc.

Thanks!

I often retouch photos that *I* don't particularly want (I don't really need Yet Another Headshot) but that I think show the model to good advantage. So that takes care of the models' criteria too. smile

M

Jul 20 05 04:18 pm Link

Model

Delilah - Sixthessence

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

I usually ask for a copy of all the images in original size/state. I don't care too much about the format, as long as it's a good one [overcompressed jpgs are NOT a good one].

I prefer to get the images with no watermarks on, for my book. In case I have to print some picture I agree with what Theda said:

-quote-
-end quote-

I am able to properly resize and watermark the images by myself, giving the photographer's credit, and I'm very glad when the photographer him/herself provides me a 'ready-to-use' folder with the resized images [in case I can't get the cd right after the shoot and he/she did edit some already].

Many amateurs think that, if you're giving away the pics with no "© NAME OF THE PHOTOGRAPHER" just in the middle, the model is going to do something very bad, eventho she signed a release/agreement. How scary, innit?

It happened to me once that I asked a photographer to send me one or two pictures because I had to make a large print [the cd he sent me after the shoot contained the watermarked and already resized 600 * 500 photos only!]. He then sent me the pics, but they weren't as big as I needed.

I then emailed him again telling him I needed the original ones, otherwise I had no chance to print them [I did not need an A4 format!]. He replied that 'he never gives originals away, but he could send them directly to some lab next to my home so I could get the prints done'.

Very, very interesting behaviour. That's all smile

regards,
Delilah

Jul 25 05 06:46 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Posted by sixthessence: 
I usually ask for a copy of all the images in original size/state. I don't care too much about the format, as long as it's a good one [overcompressed jpgs are NOT a good one].

I prefer to get the images with no watermarks on, for my book. In case I have to print some picture I agree with what Theda said:

-quote-
-end quote-
Delilah

I agree totally on that. Where's the point on work more, just to give the model bad files? I usually have the original pictures an harddrive anyway - so why should I start a batch job to resize and crop them? It's way easier to give her the original files. She can do whatever she want's with them for her own purpose... She was part of the creation process - so why give her worse results??

Jul 25 05 06:51 am Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

Here is another part to ther question...what is a resonable timeframe to expect your portion as a model from a TFCD?

Jul 25 05 06:59 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Hmmm - when I shoot digital... maybe 20 minutes to download the pics and burn the CD.

Jul 25 05 07:02 am Link

Model

Delilah - Sixthessence

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

aye:

my agreement states something like:
_ _ _ _ _
1. The Photographer will provide copies of images within a reasonable time following the shoot
(< 6 months) to the Model in the form of a CD, or via download on an ftp site on the Internet,
containing:
[list follows]
_ _ _ _ _

[you may check my website if you're interested in reading the whole agreement thing by the way]

6 months are anyway A LOT. I expect photographers to give me the CD as soon as possible [I wouldn't use any photograph without permission anyway], but I make some exceptions for those photographers who are traveling to my country and have no chance to burn the cd and stuff. And for the lazy ones tongue

After 6 months awaiting I get quite nervous tho smile

regards,
Delilah

Jul 25 05 07:17 am Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

Thank you much smile

Jul 25 05 07:27 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

As a last post before I leave I would like to say that I take every picture I can large and raw format when doing a tfp...why? because I have taste and can edit. and my photographers know that. And, I worked my ass off too...it's not like I am doing if for free, you know. Usually the photographers send me a few web edits to put in my portfolio, and sometimes they send me these edits in 9 x 12 edited format up to ten pics. That is nice. But I like the raw material too.

Jul 26 05 03:26 pm Link