Forums > Photography Talk > San Diego... ideas for unique shooting locations?

Photographer

ucsbgaucho

Santa Barbara, California, US

Any photographers in the San Diego area have any suggestions for a unique location to shoot at?  I need it to be somewhere in the central/north county area... maybe Pacific Beach up to Oceanside, and close to the ocean.  Abandoned buildings, hidden parks, hidden beach/cove, etc.  I'll be shooting down there this weekend and planning one daytime shoot, and I've shot numerous times at La Jolla Cove, but would love some different ideas for a place that might be a little off the beaten path...

Thanks in advance!

Jul 19 05 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

Im not from san diego but from what I heard parks could be a little messy.  Anything being paid with public funds could be neglected.  They are in pretty bad finacial shape in SD right now.

Old Towne San Diego is kind of picturesque in spots.  There is always Mexico.  The Scenic highway to Ensanada is Amazing.  Plus the run-down and closed hotels/resorts could give some very interesting backdrops.  That highway is your best bet.  Just plan enough time to get back over the boarder.

Jul 19 05 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Hoffman

San Diego, California, US

Not sure where you are getting your info about San Diego being messy Ben--far from the case.  True, the city government is going through some issues at the moment, but the entire county is one of the nicest areas in the entire country.  It may be the only county in the country where in the winter time you can surf in the ocean, snow ski in the mountains, and golf in the desert all in the same county on the same day.

If you want to avoid messy, then I would avoid your advice.  Take two steps across the border into Tijuana, and as you avoid being threatened with being arrested as a form of bribery by the police there, you will quickly see poverty, prostitutes and filth all around you.  If you care to take the drive two hours south, stopping at toll booths every 20 miles or so, and the occasional checkpoint, then sure you can find some nice areas---but none much nicer than right along the coast line here in San Diego.

Some nice areas for you to try that if you are willing to do a little climbing can include Sunset Cliffs and the beach area there, just south of PB---and then further north is Torrey Pines park and beach.  If you travel a little further north into Del Mar and up into the Cardiff areas to Solana Beach as well, you will continue to find nice coast with a view to the east of tons of multi-million dollar homes---so much for financial troubles.

I guess those comments could be expected from someone in the state of the poorest education system in the country though.

Jul 19 05 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

There are alot of rocks, mountains, hidden parks in East County, like in the Ramona area.  If you want a nice beach, go to Windansea in La Jolla.  You'll find me there for 90% of my beach shoots.  Presidio Park off of the Interstate 8 in Mission Valley is a nice park to shoot at.

As far as things getting messy.  I've never had a problem with anything.

Jul 20 05 07:14 am Link

Photographer

Michel Hulsey

Portland, Oregon, US

Throw a dart at a San Diego map and you'll find a place. I grew up in San Diego so I've got lots of pride in the Finest City in the World! Anyway, places to shoot: Rob mentioned Sunset Cliffs, very beautiful place, but to elaborate on it, go to the Ocean Beach pier and walk on the rocks south for about 100-200 yards. You'll come to a somewhat private beach that you have to climb down to get to with cliffs on each side. Very unique place. If you go during the week it might be empty but doubt it cause it's summertime. If you see a bunch of stacked rocks, it's because of a protest all the ocean beach hippies are having against the police or something. I don't remember. OB is a very cool place to I think Thursday afternoons is when they have the farmers market. It's where all the...interesting people in SD hang out. Anyway more places: Balboa Park of course, there's a rose garden, fountain, ponds, and beautiful architecture to use as background. I've shot there a few times. Del Mar has some nice areas. If you want to take any nude photos, Blacks Beach is a nude beach, but it's a hike. Not too bad though. Swami's in Encinitas is another nice beach. That's right next to the Temple of Self Realization which might be a cool spot to shoot if they'd let you. I've never been in there so I don't know. San Diego Harbor is nice too. If you want to shoot on one of the sail boats that's anchored to a mooring, just stand by one of the docks and wait till someone in a dingy pulls up. I used to live on a boat down there, so all those guys are really nice, with some pretty unique stories. La Jolla tide pools are gorgeous if you go at low tide. If you want to go inland a little into Oceanside there is an old Mission off the 76. I can't think of any abondoned buildings right now, but I've got countless other places you can shoot. If you want to know more IM me. My s/n is on my profile. Or send me messege or something. Hope this wasn't too drawn out. Let me know if you need anything else. Oh and maybe go to Coronado, nice places over there too. Hit me up if you need any more.

MH

Jul 20 05 09:26 am Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

Posted by Rob Hoffman: 
Not sure where you are getting your info about San Diego being messy Ben--far from the case.  True, the city government is going through some issues at the moment, but the entire county is one of the nicest areas in the entire country.  It may be the only county in the country where in the winter time you can surf in the ocean, snow ski in the mountains, and golf in the desert all in the same county on the same day.

If you want to avoid messy, then I would avoid your advice.  Take two steps across the border into Tijuana, and as you avoid being threatened with being arrested as a form of bribery by the police there, you will quickly see poverty, prostitutes and filth all around you.  If you care to take the drive two hours south, stopping at toll booths every 20 miles or so, and the occasional checkpoint, then sure you can find some nice areas---but none much nicer than right along the coast line here in San Diego.

Some nice areas for you to try that if you are willing to do a little climbing can include Sunset Cliffs and the beach area there, just south of PB---and then further north is Torrey Pines park and beach.  If you travel a little further north into Del Mar and up into the Cardiff areas to Solana Beach as well, you will continue to find nice coast with a view to the east of tons of multi-million dollar homes---so much for financial troubles.

I guess those comments could be expected from someone in the state of the poorest education system in the country though.

Why do people have to be so nasty.
I got my info on NPR.  They specificly mentioned parks and other public works.

Did I say Tijuana?  No I said the Scenic Highway.

The only place I would live in Cali. would be SD.  I love SD.  Old Town Mexican Rest is one of my fav. restaurants in the world.  I love that airport.  The first time I was there there was a 4 piece jazz band in baggage claim.  Wow!  Not to mention the rocking chairs all over the place.

I use to work in SD.

Jul 20 05 11:01 am Link

Photographer

ucsbgaucho

I also grew up in San Diego, born and raised... so I know ALL of these areas... I was hoping to get some suggestions on "hidden" places that are off the beaten path, preferably close to the coast since I'll be in Encinitas.  I will probably end up at the Cove, but I was hoping for a spot that might have a little more privacy where you wouldn't be worried to do some implied nudity/topless, etc....

Visual Mindscapes, I've LOVED your shots on OMP, I've worked with a couple of the same models too (Jennifer Enriquez is the only one that comes to mind at the moment)... how do you feel Windansea is as far as privacy?  I'll be shooting on a Monday morning so it shouldnt be too crowded to begin with...

Jul 20 05 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Ephotique

Prescott, Arizona, US

ucsbgaucho,

For a bit more privacy at the beach, try this spot just north of Carlsbad State Beach.  Head north from the intersection (La Costa @ Hwy 101) on 101, head past the campgrounds on the left, past a traffic light and head up a long hill to the next traffic light (I believe its Poinsettia Ln.).  Make a U turn and head back south looking for a place to park on the right-hand side.  Scramble down the side of the cliffs (they are not fenced off and are not too steep to navigate) and walk up the beach to the north for about 400 yards.  There you'll find some caves and a somewhat secluded area.  Its a nice clean sand beach that exposes large areas of glistening-wet expanses of sand at low tides, along with some very nice shallow reflecting tide pools.

Hope this is useful to you,
John

https://www.ephotique.com/WebImages/Carlsbadstatebeachmap.jpg

Jul 20 05 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Michel Hulsey

Portland, Oregon, US

The place that Ephotique mentioned is Taramar. Nice cliffs and a cave just south of the cliffs. It's not as private anymore since they put stairs down to the beach years ago. It's my favorite beach though, you might see my name carved in the cliffs. I'll try to think of some more secluded places. By the coast, are you talking on the beach or just in the area? San Diego population is becoming so dense near the coast it's gonna be hard to find secluded areas. You might have to go inland towards Fallbrook or SDSU if your more south. I'll try to think of some places. My sister just moved to Oceanside so I'll ask her if she knows a place. Like maybe a rooftop near the beach or something. Oh Carlsbad flower garden might be nice too, but again not secluded.

Jul 20 05 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Michel Hulsey

Portland, Oregon, US

For nude on beach, i'd still recommend Blacks

Jul 20 05 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by ucsbgaucho: 
Visual Mindscapes, I've LOVED your shots on OMP, I've worked with a couple of the same models too (Jennifer Enriquez is the only one that comes to mind at the moment)... how do you feel Windansea is as far as privacy?  I'll be shooting on a Monday morning so it shouldnt be too crowded to begin with... 

I'm shot some pretty risque shoots at Windansea.  Lotsa implieds.  A couple of topless.  You'll get privacy, if you find the right spot.  Thanks for the compliments on my OMP port.

Jul 21 05 10:21 am Link

Photographer

ucsbgaucho

I grew up in Encinitas, so I know exactly where that spot is in Carlsbad.  I think I'll just stick with La Jolla, as you guys said you can still find lots of little hidden nooks and spots to do some implied stuff.  Low tide on Monday will be around 7am, and I plan to shoot at 9, so that should help. 

VM, if you ever use a second photographer on any of your shoots, I'd love to do that sometime, learn a little.  I've got lots of experience, but its all out in the open, no studio experience since I dont have access to anything like that.  I'll be probably back down in SD Aug 13-14, email me at [email protected] if you wanted to talk any further about that idea. 

Thanks guys, I'll post shots when I get them done on Monday!

Jul 22 05 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

ucsbgaucho

Visual Mind, thanks so much for the tip on Windansea.... I shot there yesterday morning with a model and it is my new favorite spot, especially at the far right end of the beach, where the rocks jutt out into the water, there's a really cool little cave area that's totally private if you're in between the rocks.  Anyways, great spot, I'll shooting there from now on!

Jul 26 05 10:32 am Link

Photographer

DeSimoni

Corona, California, US

Posted by Rob Hoffman: 
It may be the only county in the country where in the winter time you can surf in the ocean, snow ski in the mountains, and golf in the desert all in the same county on the same day.

can you tell me what mountains you can ski in san diego county....

also for shooting on the way to ensenda, it's alright. the problem you have is access to the beach's because most of the time you are on a cliff, plus if your talking about doing a late afternoon beach shoot, the majority of the coastline put's the sun out in the ocean so to get the nice later afternoon glow on the model with her on the water is difficult.

but for scenery in baja, I recall the travel from ensenada to "La Bufadora" as being a much nicer trip for photo opportunities.

Jul 28 05 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Revon Photography Video

Los Angeles, California, US

I am also looking for a nice beach in San Diego where it is secluded since I am trying to do a nude shoot on the beach. Any ideas? How about here in Los Angeles too? Thanks.

Jul 28 05 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

ucsbgaucho

Christopher, where I shot was fairly secluded, although there were kids playing around and it might be hard to do a full nude shoot for any length of time.  But in the La Jolla area there's lots of hidden nooks and coves that you could probably get away with some nude shots.  If I were you, and I might try this next time, is go to the Del Dios Highway in SD, connects Encinitas/Rancho Santa Fe with Escondido.  There's a lake there, Lake Hodges, that empties into a river that flows along the highway.  Usually the river's dry and only flows in the winter when water spills over the dam, and there's tons of trees and big boulders and things that I think would be awesome for shooting nudes.  I might try it myself when I'm down there in a couple weeks.

In LA, you can get away with doing nudes up in the Malibu area, north along PCH when you get past the homes, the beaches are pretty secluded, down below the road.  Otherwise, try Orange County area, like Laguna Beach, lots of private beaches that you could get away with stuff.

Lastly, San Clemente and south through Camp Pendleton seems pretty desolate, not sure about easy access though.

Jul 29 05 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Hoffman

Posted by DeSimoni:
can you tell me what mountains you can ski in san diego county....

It may not be the typical ski resort like you may find in many other places, but there is snow in the mountains in the eastern part of the county during the winter, and many people enjoy cross country skiing during that time.

Not sure if you really wanted to know, or if you were just being a smartass--but it does exist.

Jul 31 05 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

RockyF

Christopher Rev wrote:
I am also looking for a nice beach in San Diego where it is secluded since I am trying to do a nude shoot on the beach. Any ideas? How about here in Los Angeles too? Thanks.

Try North of imperial Beach. North of Palm Avenue. Just south of City of Coronado line.  5 miles of secluded Beach.  I had my Glamour Shoot on the Beach there years ago.  Models nude and topless.

Sep 02 05 06:20 am Link