Forums > General Industry > Edge Models & Extras UK Agency

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Abbey D wrote:
Julian Manning did who apparently works for Models Extra, Sarah from Edge Models told me to contact him to arrange the shoot as they work with them for producing their models ports. But I personally think they are all working for Edge models as their email signatory says the same thing and not too different companies at all. The only stage where it IS two different companies is between the agency and the studio.
The studio is;

Skylite Studios   
Europa House
54 Great Marlborough Street
LONDON,
W1F 7JU
020 7494 9933

I have tried to contact them also, to ensure that they are aware that I had cancelled my shoot with Julian but they are not answering their phones and the mailbox is full.

The agency is,

2nd Floor 145-157
St John Street
London
EC1V 4PY
T: + 44 (0) 845 519 2336

I emailed both Julian and Sarah after Julian said that I have lost my deposit, confirming all what you had mentioned about the new law and they are best to refund my deposit otherwise I will be seeking legal action and have 14 days to act on this process. This was advised to me from the complaints officer from DirectGov, who are actively investigating. I think they are generally under investigation and are aware of them breeching the UK Law of EMPLOYMENT AGENCIES ACT 1973

So ladies don’t anywhere near Edge Models!!!!!

I somehow don't think you are going to find Edge Models or Models Extra at that address. There are roughly 150 other companies using that same address [ 2nd Floor, blah, blah, blah]. The phone number is a non-geographic premium rate number that could be answered in Birmingham, Brighton or Bangladesh for all we know.

As to Skylite Studios, it is a makeover studio in a Soho basement. It is staffed by / used by a number of freelance photographers, and does not have a really good reputation all in all.

Studio36

Jan 06 11 07:16 am Link

Model

MaximNL

Tilburg, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

Wow I feel really dumb, I was gonna call them tomorrow because I got an email saying to contact them because they were interested, but after reading all this I'm gonna avoid Edge Models as much as possible

Jan 11 11 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

AndyJ

Maidstone, England, United Kingdom

krizty wrote:
I'm getting signed with them aswel.
Are you signed yet?
I've googled it and found a few people who been on a few jobs and good pay!
Its 50 depoist and for the photoshoot of copy its 300 for your copywrite hun!
And you can pay it monthly or weekly or even full!

Krizty x

There are some quotes on Yahoo from "people" that supposedly got work with Edge Models. However if you look closely the series of posts are made by profiles that were created that day and have only ever posted once about Edge Models. Am I suggesting that they may have created the posts themselves to pretend that they are real - maybe! The things shown on their website are actually unpaid eg Alternative Fashion week so the earnings quoted are wrong.

For further info Edge Models/Modelling Extras are now using Skylite Makeover Studios to do their "assessments" aka hard sell on portfolios despite clearly saying on their website that makeover shots are not suitable - oh dear!

For any agency to suggest that models will earn money from the sale of images taken at a makeover studio is just totally ridiculous. A model agency should be booking models work not pretending that models will earn money from selling photos and need copyright.

And finally the company behind Edge Models (called One Step Ahead Ltd) stopped trading on 18 Jan 2011 so expect a change of name soon. Despite that a model I know was booked to do a portfolio shoot with them yesterday until she realised it was all a con. It appears that the company behind Edge Models also runs/ran a similar outfit called Essence Models that uses the same advice.
http://www.essencemodels.co.uk/model-advice.php

The Edge Models website is registered to Model Essence Ltd, a company that ceased trading in 2009. The Essence Models website is still active however. So many closed companies just rings alarm bells!

Anyone who paid any money to Edge Models after 18 Jan 2011 should have the right to an immediate refund as the company is not legally allowed to trade once it has gone into liquidation.

As general advice, avoid any modelling agency that advertises on Google AdWords. Real model agencies do not need to advertise to get models; they are overrun with applications without needing to try! Edge Models Google Ad promises to "make it happen"

More info here along with other con model agencies in the UK like Replay Models and UK Models that used to be called Diesel Models.

http://www.photo3.co.uk/kent_photograph … o-cons.htm
http://modellingportfolios.blogspot.com … lling.html

Jan 22 11 04:40 am Link

Photographer

AndyJ

Just discovered a bit more information.

Edge Models is run by the same company behind Dynamic Models. It is also linked to Model Goals & Modelling Goals that applicants are passed to for buying a portfolio.

The companies behind all of these fronts have gone into liquidation. I know a lot of models that paid money to be on the Dynamic Models website but it is now unavailable.

If you pay money to Edge Models or their portfolio company Modelling Extras then you have no guarantee that their website will be around for any length of time.

With all these linked companies stopping and starting and name changes to avoid being caught out I think we can safely say Edge Models is a scam.
http://modellingportfolios.blogspot.com … ed-in.html

Jan 23 11 07:42 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

bump

Feb 16 11 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

- Phil H -

Mildenhall, England, United Kingdom

Moderator Warning!
This thread has been permanently linked in the Model Colloquy Forum "Model Matters: Rules, Resources and FAQ" sticky thread.

Feb 16 11 12:37 pm Link

Model

Jordan Reynolds

Abbey D wrote:
And did you get your £50.00 after that call????

I think i did but im not sure it was a while ago now...but the threat of being reported as an un cooperative model shook me a little bit....but does not seem to have affected me finding an agency.

Feb 18 11 06:59 am Link

Photographer

AndyJ

The company that is behind Edge Models has changed yet again.

http://modellingportfolios.blogspot.com … ehind.html

This time it is a company called Christals Ltd which has been a dormant company failing to make statutory UK company returns and as such as been listed to be struck off as a company.

Be very wary paying any money to a company that is about to disappear - you will not get anything back when it is wound up.

Mar 11 11 11:27 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

JemimaDaisy

London, England, United Kingdom

hey all
I know this is back dated but i've heard alot of internet rumours about Edge. I work closely with Edge Models on a regular basis and have given many models paid and TFP work for over two years.
Most agencies ask for a portfolio - unless they have the capital of some one like Storm they cant afford to pay for everyone they sign to get a port.

They run some really good workshops and I have used many of their models in catwalk shows and photoshoots for www.fcboutique.co.uk and fashioncapital.co.uk as well as personal photography projects www.jemimadaisy.com

Many mainstream agencies get bad mouthed but Edge really shouldnt - I got scammed out of £20 on my oyster card today but im not gonna blog about it! wink
I'm close friends with an ex edge model and know many of the people on their books personally (including a guy who just got a paid schwarzkopf job) - they may not get regular work but they get offered regular castings and trust me edge work their butt's off to get work for new emerging faces.

If you want any more information or think i'm talking rubbish then email me at [email protected]

Thanks and good luck with all your potential modelling careers smile
xxx

Mar 31 11 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

After reading JemimaDaisy post and port I'm confussed and lost in who's who and what they do.
It comes across a verbal diarrhea.

Mar 31 11 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

c_h_r_i_s wrote:
After reading JemimaDaisy post and port I'm confussed and lost in who's who and what that do.
It comes across a verbal diarrhea.

Come on Chris the proper and polite term is "verbal effluvium"

I'm not confused, and I can't fathom why you are.

Studio36

Mar 31 11 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

JemimaDaisy wrote:
unless they have the capital of some one like Storm they cant afford to pay for everyone they sign to get a port.

Many photographers who do model agency test shots which will inc. some folio shots for the model do it for free.
Even as a humble assistant I'd shot for agency model folios.

Confusion sorted, JemimaDaisy is part of Edge models.... needed to follow  the internet paper trail.

Mar 31 11 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

c_h_r_i_s wrote:
Confusion sorted, JemimaDaisy is part of Edge models.... needed to follow  the internet paper trail.

And what, exactly, did you expect?

Studio36

Mar 31 11 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

studio36uk wrote:

And what, exactly, did you expect?

Studio36

A big banner on her port ;

'I'm part of Edge'.

Mar 31 11 02:40 pm Link

Retoucher

noname01

Bump!!

Sorry just had to bump this as I am getting a lot of model friends talking about signing up with this agency recently! Argh!! It must be avoided like the plague.

My experience - As a model I joined 'Dynmaic Models'. They are now out of business, one of the women that worked there is now a manager at Edge. Pretty much same agency. Thier client list? A load of crap.. copied and pasted from Dynamic Models website. One of Edge's clients is the Richard and Judy Show - they stopped their show before edge was even created!

Dynamic models accepted ANYONE who got a photoshoot from skylight studios (Now Skylite Makeovers). I looked at thier other models, seriously they were trying to sell what looked like 50 year old transvestites (nothing wrong with that btw) as high fashion models! They bullshitted to me so much but I was silly, and found some false hope in their ridiculous claims at how I was going to be a high fashion model. Now they are doing exactly the same at Edge. The same people are involved.

They did these workshops for like £20.. sure £20 not much so I went along (towards the end of Dynamic's reign they were over £100!!!). I'm glad I went - it opened my eyes. We did 'catwalk practice'. Some poor woman, about 4ft nothing, and quite overweight.. She did a walk. As lovely as she was it was like watching a troll chase children away from it's bridge. Their response? Smirking and saying "ohhhh.. you would make a GREAT Dove model".

Sorry for this rant. But just hoping it will shed even more light on this money making scam!

P.S skylite studios are no better the bloke tried to convince me to borrow savings from my family to buy pictures

Apr 14 11 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

This must be the easiest way to make money.

Apr 14 11 04:44 pm Link

Retoucher

noname01

Yeah it must be! I'm just glad they actually got me some jobs, and I did earn more than I payed for my images so my story isn't the worst. But still despite the fact they got me jobs it doesn't change the thought that so many other people were conned and probably never got any model jobs.

I was even told once I had got booked for a job "wow you're so much better than the crap they normally send over!" Nice, lol

Apr 14 11 05:34 pm Link

Model

OGECHI SMART

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

people check out the reply i got from Edge Models after rejecting to pay.

'You’re application has been withdrawn already you were deemed un-professional and someone who was not serious about working'
and this is from Julian Manning

i find it funny hw they cn quickly turn against u.
thank for all ur replies as my decision was made following all ur replies.
i know they are definitely going to find jobs for the models but is the principle of paying and hw much is to be paid to them b4 they cn sign you.

Apr 15 11 10:33 am Link

Model

OGECHI SMART

plzhave anyone worked with TMP Creative Modelling agancy b4. and hw r they with their models

Apr 19 11 08:16 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

OGECHI JOYCE NDUKWU wrote:
plzhave anyone worked with TMP Creative Modelling agancy b4. and hw r they with their models

Clicking the "Become a model" link takes you straight to the website of TMP Studios - http://www.tmpstudios.co.uk/

On the splash page they say:-

"There are some myths that exist about getting into modelling.

- Not being tall enough
   - Not being good looking enough"

"A model can be small, she can be any ethnicity and even ugly!"

And here's a link to the price list for their photo shoots:-

http://www.tmpstudios.co.uk/#/prices/4541070029

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Apr 19 11 08:37 am Link

Model

OGECHI SMART

Stefano Brunesci wrote:
Clicking the "Become a model" link takes you straight to the website of TMP Studios - http://www.tmpstudios.co.uk/

On the splash page they say:-

"There are some myths that exist about getting into modelling.

- Not being tall enough
   - Not being good looking enough"

"A model can be small, she can be any ethnicity and even ugly!"

And here's a link to the price list for their photo shoots:-

http://www.tmpstudios.co.uk/#/prices/4541070029

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

thanks they accepted that i have a look that they like and i should pay 165 for my pics. but i already hv a protfolio. do think if i tell them this they will use it. and also do they find jobs for their models.

Apr 19 11 09:01 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

thanks they accepted that i have a look that they like and i should pay 165 for my pics. but i already hv a protfolio. do think if i tell them this they will use it. and also do they find jobs for their models.

It is illegal in the UK if they call themselves something else but act as an agent;

It is illegal in the UK if they call themselves an agent/agency but are actually something else;

In the UK they can be one, or the other, but not both at the same time; AND if they hold themselves out to be an agent/agency they can NOT sell you, directly or by way of a business partner [another individual or company with whom they are closely associated], any product or service [e.g. portfolio pictures] not associated with them specifically and directly acting as an agent/agency.

Studio36

Apr 19 11 11:19 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

You clearly didn't understand my post.

I suspect they will 'accept' ANYBODY who's willing to pay their studio for photos. I'm sure that if you say you don't need any photos they'll say the photos you have are terrible and you need to 'update' your portfolio as they have already suggested at a cost of £165.

I very much doubt if they will find you any work, especially if you don't pay them for pictures first.

Here's a list of real, reputable UK agencies who won't try to make you pay for photos as a condition of accepting you. They still may not accept you, but it won't be because you failed to pay them for photos.

http://blog.whoistesting.com/post/28423 … s-jan-2011

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Apr 19 11 11:28 am Link

Model

OGECHI SMART

i would like to ask. is Edge Models and Extra and Models Divine, the same company. cos most of there model are in both agencies and also i saw same pictures

May 01 11 12:20 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

i would like to ask. is Edge Models and Extra and Models Divine, the same company. cos most of there model are in both agencies and also i saw same pictures

It's possible, though I personally don't know because I haven't done any research on Divine. They, and outfits like them, however, seem to change names like most people change clothes.

Studio36

May 01 11 01:36 am Link

Photographer

WIP

studio36uk wrote:

It's possible, though I personally don't know because I haven't done any research on Divine. They, and outfits like them, however, seem to change names like most people change clothes.

Studio36

Maybe their trying to keep one step ahead of MM forums.

There are photographers who can shoot a test/tfp for a potential agency model and recomend them to an agency.
The funny part is models still insist on paying to join an agency.

May 01 11 02:54 am Link

Model

OGECHI SMART

studio36uk wrote:

Studio36

oh damn. i just applyed to them b4 my research. is more likely they wouldnt reply as i hv already rejected edge models. oh well. but does any1 know any good agency i cn apply to in birmigham area apart from modelbank.
all ur replies r much appriciated

May 01 11 05:56 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

c_h_r_i_s wrote:

studio36uk wrote:

Studio36

Maybe their trying to keep one step ahead of MM forums.

I did have a quick look and there is, notably, absolutely no Internet chatter on/about them - bad or good. They are nearly invisible on the Web. That says volumes in itself.

The geographic address they provide leaves me in little doubt what they are. Just another Internet model "agency" of little real use to man or beast, who will take a model's money to "showcase" them. ... But at least the pond is free of scum.

Studio36

May 01 11 06:15 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

oh damn. i just applyed to them b4 my research. is more likely they wouldnt reply as i hv already rejected edge models. oh well. but does any1 know any good agency i cn apply to in birmigham area apart from modelbank.
all ur replies r much appriciated

I will tell you the facts of life about this. Here in the UK there is no system of registration for model agencies and little or no government oversight of such operations. Someone could be a plumber today and a model agent tomorrow by the simple expedient of changing the sign on the door and getting some new business cards.

Studio36

May 01 11 06:21 am Link

Model

Gabrielle_Louise

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom

so glad i read this
i saw all the comments on yahoo and was actually going to go for it
are there actually any decent agencies out there?

May 03 11 05:35 am Link

Model

Evita D

That was so hepful!! They contacted me as well - now I know!

Thanks everyone! x

May 16 11 09:49 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Gabrielle_Louise wrote:
so glad i read this
i saw all the comments on yahoo and was actually going to go for it
are there actually any decent agencies out there?

Here's a list of real, reputable agencies who won't rip you off. They may not sign you either, but at least they will tell you the truth rather than a pack of lies concocted to part you from your money.

http://blog.whoistesting.com/post/28423 … s-jan-2011

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

May 16 11 09:55 am Link

Photographer

AndyJ

For the post above asking about "Dynamic Models" and "Edge Models and Extras" the reason the same person works for them is that they are run by exactly the same company. At the time some people suggested Dynamic Models were a scam but they insisted otherwise. All the people who paid them and their photo studio for photos now have no agency representation as their website is down.

The contact details for Edge Models are for a company called One Step Ahead Ltd. This company ceased trading on 18/1/2011 and used to run Dynamic Models. The Dynamic Models website is now unavailable.

The names of companies/businesses linked to Edge Models/Dynamic Models

Model Essence, Modelling Extras, Dynamic Models, One Step Ahead Ltd, Model Goals, Modelling Goals, Edge Models and Extras, Edge Modelling, Essence Models, Model Essence Ltd

Diesel Models/UK Models is another company that is not an agency and will just sell photo shoots at their studio called Blue Rooms

Jun 02 11 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

AndyJ

studio36uk wrote:

Studio36

Models Divine - busted!! Edge Models by another name...

http://modelsdivine.com/model-advice.php

Check out this page and the Edge Models advice page - and the Dynamic Models advice page - absolutely identical!!

And curiously based on the post by Jemina Daisy above they claim
"At Models Divine we collaborate with Fashion Capital,"

[hint - check the source code for modelsdivine and edge models homepages - one word changed - rest including the keywords is identical!]

Jun 02 11 03:20 pm Link

Model

OGECHI SMART

ppl plz am in big trouble. i got this message from this man who lives in the USA talking about working in paris and europe and LA and say he saw my pic through someone profile on model mayhem. i fell for it cos i was kinda excited. thought this was different as i never hv someone from outside contact me. although my mind questionned it i contiued and i hv nw sent him my protfolio pics and stats. but when i spoke to him on phone he sounded a bit sheddy. becos wen i asked for his website he hand to click on several things to copy and past a website to me and this is the web site: www.parisfashionshows.net.  in the meantime here is the message he sent to me:

"Hello, i am mark from the paris fashion shows and at the moment. i am here in vegas putting up models together for our up coming shows. here in vegas and also up coming ones in LA, miami and europe  (paris,rome, london etc) they are well paid runaway shows and photos shots etc.

i run into your profile here on baby hurts her model page. so if you are interested in working with us. we gotta talk and then see if we can sing you on some contract ok.... call me at

mark".

so b4 i make my final decision on going futher with this. i would like to knw if u guys think he is real or fake

Jun 29 11 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

so b4 i make my final decision on going futher with this. i would like to knw if u guys think he is real or fake

Just say "no thank you" and move on.

Studio36

Jun 29 11 08:40 pm Link

Model

OGECHI SMART

HEY GUYS HAS ANY ONE BEING CONTACTED BY BASE MODEL MANAGEMENT

Aug 24 11 06:52 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bump.