Forums > Newbie Forum > Photographing Nudes & Implied

Photographer

Joel Lucks

East Northport, New York, US

Hi all!

I am a full-time professional photographer of fashion and portrait photography. I also do glamour and, lately, have been doing more and more. Glamour, though, is a natural segue into nude and implied photography.

I wouldn't exactly say I'm shy, but by suggesting nude or implied photography to a model I am also concerned that the request should not come off in the wrong way and concerned about maintaining my professionalism, always.

When there seems to be a natural transition from glamour over to nude and implied, what is anyone's suggestion on how the subject should be broached?

Some models make it clear in their Ports if they will or will not, but do models actually seek out photographers they're comfortable with, first, then ask if they will photograph them nude?

Or does the photographer approach the model? How do we as professional photographers expand our art, and subject matter into that area, but still maintain professionalism?

Looking for feedback.

Joel (Lucks)
MM# 1114833
www.CompleteConceptsPhotography.com

Dec 30 09 10:56 am Link

Model

Christie Gabriel

Chicago, Illinois, US

Heres what I do:
If the photographer asks me to shoot through my mistressChris page....I automatically assume he will want to shoot at least some nudes since that is all I have in this port.

Also, my rates are the same for nude and non-nude work, as I am equally comfortable with each type of shoot.

If there are no nudes in the models port just ask her if she is comfortable with fine art/nude posing. It never hurts to ask and you would be surprised at the things I've gotten just by asking.

big_smile

Dec 30 09 11:05 am Link

Model

Kira Beth

Portland, Oregon, US

I would start with models who make it clear they are comfortable being photographed nude. That way THEY will make you more comfortable during the shoot and you'll know you aren't pushing them over their limit. Never push a model to be photographed nude. If she is alright with it, you'll know. There is never any harm in asking, but always do so well before the shoot, and be very specific about the kind of nude you would like to shoot with her, such as; "I would like to photograph you doing X in X environment for X purpose." If you're clear about what you're asking and ask in a professional manner, likely she won't be offended. Also, many models won't shoot nudes unless there is monetary compensation, so keep that in mind.

It helps sometimes to start with lingerie and then ask the model to remove it (but again, make sure she knows this is in the plan BEFORE you start shooting.)

Hope that helps smile I have been a model for 4 years and a nude model for 2.

-Kira

Dec 30 09 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Classic Rock Photos

Springfield, Oregon, US

Hi Joel-  I've been at this hobby for three years and just recently photographed a couple of implied and nudes shoots.

I am shy and since I'm 50, a guy, and not at all attractive like George Clooney, I am always worried about being perceived as a dirty ole guy.

When I contact the models (or they contact me)- I share  a list of ideas with them. I have them look at the images I consider "wonderful" on my MM list.  If they post on their profile that they will not do nudes or implied, I edit the list and take out the ideas.  If they are open to the idea, I leave the list intact. I let them pick and choose and add their own ideas. We also improvise.

I don't come right out and ask them about shooting nude or implied.

As for Tawni walking down the road, I was telling her of a great picture that Don Anderson did of Ciciley last summer. We were talking about ideas and that kinda came up. Without asking her- she took off her top and headed down the road.  Same thing with Wolfpup, who is just a wonderful lady to work with. She brought up the idea in the barn, so I made sure she was in focus.

I did my first nude shoot last week. She wrote back and said she liked them images. She hasn't posted any yet. I'm waiting (and biting my nails) to see what she posts - and then hope for the best on comments and critiques. I was trying to create a mood and a theme to the images and not just a pretty lady laying on the bed with no clothes on.

I hope I answered your question and didn't stray.  Bottom line, I let the model bring it up after we go over ideas - "Dave, let's try this"...then off we go.

Have a fun New Year.

Keep up the great work.

Dave

Dec 30 09 11:12 am Link

Photographer

ByteStudio

Seattle, Washington, US

There is a huge benefit to working with (hiring?) a model that does this at a professional level.

1. you get a head-start on GREAT images but working with a good model, not someone who "may" do nude, but might not be comfortable, or are just self-concious.

2. you don't have to think about the nudity or any issues you have - they know their job and it's business. (This leaves you free to focus on lighting/angles/etc.)

Ric
(Disclaimer - my avatar is Kira's alter-ego, and I would absolutely recommend working with her!)

Dec 30 09 11:23 am Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

Los Angeles, California, US

How I approach them is the same as the way I approach them for clothed shoots.  I simply ask as straightforward as possible.  If it's a girl who says "Shoot-Nudes=Yes" on the stats, or mentions it in the profile it'll be more along the lines of:

Introduction, ask if they're willing to shoot, send info on concept and mention that it would require nudity.

If there is no mention of nudes or none in the portfolio it's more like:
Introduction, ask if interested in shooting, mention concept and ask if they are ok with nudity.

I'm still relatively new to nudes (shot about 8 models with 4 more on the way in Jan) but of those 12, only 1 said she shot nudes on her profile.  I think if you just ask in as straightforward and professional manner as possible even the girls who say they don't do them won't be offended or anything.

Dec 30 09 11:34 am Link