Riki

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

Anybody use this printer, like to here some feedbacks, thx

Jul 20 05 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Riki,

just buy it! If it produces images like many of the new epsons do, you will not be disappointed. I'm printing 13x19's and love'n it!

Jul 20 05 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

Jibaili

the new line of epson and canon are pretty nice.. i bought a canon pixma i8500 a couple of weeks ago just for printing out proof sheets and alike and i've been very suprised by the quality, i've knocked out a few A4's that are just brilliant considering the price..

Jul 20 05 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

QuaeVide

Pacifica, California, US

Very nice printer - great resolution & colours on matte and gloss, reasonably fast even for 13x19 prints, quiet. I believe it uses the same inks as the Epson 2200 that everyone except me seemed to love, but it adds a couple more (red and blue) as well as a gloss optimizer that greatly reduces the bronzing effect that the 2200 suffered with gloss papers (the reason I didn't like it).

I use it with premium semi-gloss and enhanced matte papers and have zero complaints - even sold a few prints.

Some claim it doesn't produce completey neutral grayscale prints, but I can't comment as I usually tone monochrome images.

Jul 20 05 11:44 pm Link

Model

Riki

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

Thanks for the replies, any suggestion on what brand of paper should I use with this printer?? Thanks

Jul 21 05 02:41 am Link

Photographer

QuaeVide

Pacifica, California, US

Simplest to start with Epson until you have specific requirements. (Appropriate colour profiles will be delivered with the printer but it's worth downloading the latest from Epson's web site.) I like Epson's enhanced matte and premium semi-gloss papers.

Jul 21 05 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

I think I may be getting an R1800, I lost my 2000p to a flood in my house on Monday. I lost a bunch of photo equipment that was in my garage (under the house) as well as other worldly possessions.

A few images of Before and After damage

https://www.phillyriderz.com/ImageLink/MM/Before1.jpg
https://www.phillyriderz.com/ImageLink/MM/Before2.jpg
https://www.phillyriderz.com/ImageLink/MM/After1.jpg

Holla

Jul 22 05 08:07 am Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

Posted by EMG STUDIOS: 
I think I may be getting an R1800, I lost my 2000p to a flood in my house on Monday. I lost a bunch of photo equipment that was in my garage (under the house) as well as other worldly possessions.

Holla

Sorry to see the mess. Even if insurance picks up the cost 100% it's still a major hassle.

If you print mostly glossies, the R1800 is the #1 choice. Contrary to what another poster in this thread said, the inkset is *not* the same as the 2200P.

A well-known print guy in the area showed me some R1800 output and they fit in the 'no-way-this-came-off-an-inkjet' category.

If, however, glossies are not your primary output, you might want to give the R2400 a look. It's $300 more than the R1800, but will give you better matte & b/w prints than the 1800.

As far as paper goes for either printer, the only real choices you have are those for which the vendor has provided ICC profiles, and as of right now, that's Epson.

Jul 22 05 08:22 am Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Yeah, you can not really be upset but it is the hassle that make sh*t uncomfortable. I'm a glossy dude, so I think I'm going to get the 1800 when I get a check, unless there is a solution that works well for both.

Jul 22 05 08:29 am Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Posted by EMG STUDIOS: 
Yeah, you can not really be upset but it is the hassle that make sh*t uncomfortable. I'm a glossy dude, so I think I'm going to get the 1800 when I get a check, unless there is a solution that works well for both.

I've only seen glossies off the 1800, but my understanding is that while it is best suited for glossies it is well above adequate for the rest.

I wouldn't print high gloss off the R2400 because I know, without looking, it will have the same problems that the 2000P and 2200P have (I've owned both); namely, the inks, especially black, don't set in the paper at the same "level."

Jul 22 05 08:39 am Link

Photographer

QuaeVide

Pacifica, California, US

Posted by Todd Steinwart: 
Contrary to what another poster in this thread said, the inkset is *not* the same as the 2200P.

You're right - they're both UltraChrome pigment inks, but the 1800's are designed to work with the gloss optimizer. So the 1800's prints should give similar longevity to the 2200's, but don't suffer anywhere near as much from bronzing.

Some other paper companies (such as Ilford and Red River Paper) have started releasing profiles for some papers if you want to experiment.

Jul 22 05 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nickels

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I have the R1800 and I love it. I do mostly glossy prints and always use Epson paper so I can't really comment on the paper or Matte prints. I had been using an R800 and the only real difference I can see is it's faster and makes bigger prints. I recomend it highly. I would say though that I use the Color handling: let printer determine color option as colors were hard to profile otherwise.
I highly recomend it. I think it gives me as good or better prints than most labs.

Jul 22 05 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Posted by QuaeVide: 

Posted by Todd Steinwart: 
Contrary to what another poster in this thread said, the inkset is *not* the same as the 2200P.

You're right - they're both UltraChrome pigment inks, but the 1800's are designed to work with the gloss optimizer. So the 1800's prints should give similar longevity to the 2200's, but don't suffer anywhere near as much from bronzing.

Some other paper companies (such as Ilford and Red River Paper) have started releasing profiles for some papers if you want to experiment.

I had read your earlier post to mean that they used the same *colors* but that the 1800 adds red and blue. The old 200P had cyan, magenta, yellow, light cyan, light magenta and black inks. The 1800 has cyan, magenta, yellow, red, blue, photo or matte black and a gloss optimizer. They call it an eight color ink palette, which is stretching the truth ever so slightly. Yes, there are 8 cartridges, but you only have 6 colors because you don't use both blacks in the same print and the gloss optimizer isn't really a color. (Anybody who wants to quibble and say that black isn't really a "color" either gets a knuckle sandwich.)

But they are both ultrachrome inks, although the droplet size for the R1800 is considerably smaller than the 2000P.

The R2400, on the other hand, uses the new Ultrachrome K3 inkset. K3 because they now have 3 shades of black: photo or matte black, light black and light-light black. The light and light-light blacks do not work with the photo black (or so I'm told).

Jul 22 05 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

does anyone know a cost per print breakdown on these guys?

also, the R2400, if anyone has done black and white work on it, how is it looking vs pigment prints vs. traditional silver work?

Jul 22 05 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

On my 2000p is was about $5 a print for an 13x19

Jul 23 05 01:23 am Link