Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > Can you critique my skin work

Retoucher

The Photoshop Junkie

New York, New York, US

https://modelmayhm-8.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/100104/10/4b4233555b4ca.jpg

I would like some feedback on my skin work

Jan 14 10 09:43 am Link

Retoucher

My Playground

Missoula, Montana, US

Could you provide a link to a bigger picture? From the way it looks now it looks fine to me, but I would like to see the bigger picture smile

Jan 14 10 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Jon Brewer Photography

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

There's just a "wee" bit too much texture on her face for my liking.  Otherwise, it looks pretty darn good. smile

Jan 14 10 10:39 am Link

Digital Artist

Eithne Ni Anluain

Dundalk, Louth, Ireland

Under chin needs d&b'ed so theres a smooth tonal gradient and that thing she has going on is gone.

Personally it looks over textured, like a filter? Also skin tones are odd. look at neck area, its color doesnt fit with the rest (or its my screen) of her body like her shoulder.

ok, theres one thing thats driving me NUTS and thats the flyaway hair above her eye. Its not that noticeable in the original so whatever your doing has made it stand out. I know its not to do with skin, but but......but.....I have a thing about flyaway hairs....

Jan 14 10 10:50 am Link

Retoucher

Photoshopping by Jim

Stockton, California, US

Would help to see a crop at 50-100 percent of the before/after.  Pick a problem area, like around the mouth, or around the eyes, and show a close-up of that.  This will give your best challenge, and show how you do your stuff.

Jan 14 10 10:54 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

too much magenta around the lower neck and chest.

Overall image has a feel of inconsistency like face is too bright and smooth but not the rest.

Jan 14 10 11:13 am Link

Retoucher

NickWatson

London, England, United Kingdom

Ni Anluain wrote:
Under chin needs d&b'ed so theres a smooth tonal gradient and that thing she has going on is gone.

Personally it looks over textured, like a filter? Also skin tones are odd. look at neck area, its color doesnt fit with the rest (or its my screen) of her body like her shoulder.

ok, theres one thing thats driving me NUTS and thats the flyaway hair above her eye. Its not that noticeable in the original so whatever your doing has made it stand out. I know its not to do with skin, but but......but.....I have a thing about flyaway hairs....

This was pretty much what I was going to say, but with the addition to looking at the fine circular rings that go around her neck, in particular, on her right side.

Its not a bad go, but I think you need to consentrate much more time to looking at the fine details in the skin as this is the separation between a good shot and a flawless shot.

Try creating a b/w layer over the top of the editing layer and drop the reds and yellows (channels) in the b/w options quite low and it will help you to see these areas properly.

Hope this helps!! smile

Jan 14 10 05:46 pm Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Not a bad effort. My suggestions are basically two:

1. A little too much magenta in the skin tones, especially in the shadow areas. Magenta is especially prone to run away with skin tones. I dialed that down using the targeted adjustment tool in curves (CS4). I generally find that when I increase green (to counterbalance magenta), I also have to decrease yellow a bit.

2. As others mentioned, the neck needs some attention. I first used the clone tool -- lighten and darken modes -- to adjust luminance values. Then the healing brush to restore texture borrowed from the chest. (There's also a little scarring on the chin that needs a touch.)

https://img138.imageshack.us/img138/1232/skincrit.gif

https://img130.imageshack.us/img130/9751/skincrit.jpg

Jan 15 10 06:09 pm Link