Forums > General Industry > Which are model agencies accepts petite?

Model

Model Stellaa

Los Angeles, California, US

Jan 17 10 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

San Francisco, California, US

Stephanie Nogueras wrote:
Which are model agencies accepts petite?

Thank you so  much!

At 5' 0, the answer for you is none.

Jan 17 10 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

They're called portfolio mills.

Edit for clarity:  A portfolio mill is a self-described agency only interested in getting your money.

Jan 17 10 04:51 pm Link

Model

Model Stellaa

I am talking about commerical prints or close up prints, not high fashion models, silly.

Jan 17 10 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

H5D PHOTOGRAPHER

Gig Harbor, Washington, US

Thank you so  much!

I can't think of a single legit Agency that signs 5'0" petite Models.... sorry

Jan 17 10 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

c_d_s

Lubbock, Texas, US

"Petite" and "Plus" have specific meanings to agencies.

Jan 17 10 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

www.newmodels.com

Read it as hard as it may seem to you when you get there , READ IT ... ALL OF IT..
It will help you alot more then this Thread is going to .

BTW you are not going to be signed by any agency. you are not even considered petite . Have fun with this you are a pretty girl.

BUT again Read this www.newmodels.com before you lose money or get scammed or both ...

Jan 17 10 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I am talking about commerical prints or close up prints, not high fashion models, silly.

So are others in this thread.  The answer remains the same:  No legitimate modeling agency will sign a petite model.

Jan 17 10 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

Yes I'm being silly. Clearly, only high fashion requires tall models. After all, if ANTM and Kate Moss, who is only 4' 10", can do it anyone can.

Jan 17 10 04:57 pm Link

Model

allison mindy

Gainesville, Florida, US

ESCALANTE wrote:
www.newmodels.com

BTW you are not going to be signed by any agency. you are not even considered petite

What is the cut off for petite?

Jan 17 10 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

ALL of the People who have REPLIED to this thread are Agency Level Photographers.
We know what we are talking about  no need to tell us it isnt
"fashion "
Silly ....

Again READ THIS WHOLE THING www.newmodels.com , Todo , chica  , por que te hace' Falta esta información....

Model

allison mindy

Gainesville, Florida, US

No that was my question sorry.... New to the forums:

What is the cut off for Petite?

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

allison mindy wrote:
What is the cut off for petite?

Umm Follow the ADVICE THAT WAS GIVEN WITH THAT LINK!
  It should answer your questions.

Where is your Link Patrick ?

Jan 17 10 05:01 pm Link

Model

allison mindy

Gainesville, Florida, US

ESCALANTE wrote:

Thanks, reading it now smile

Jan 17 10 05:02 pm Link

Model

Jessica Vaugn

Get a glamour book and be a promotional model. Most large cities have them and you can make cash on the weekends but it won't lead to print work job. Except maybe a club opening banner.

I couldn't swallow that so I, as will you, will make your way without one. If you care enough.

Jan 17 10 05:03 pm Link

Model

Model Stellaa

people...there is nothing wrong with short people...they are just beautiful as human beings. so do not dare to ruin their dreams what they want to be... Size is not even that important.  SO open mind about that.

I applaud with a big pride for petite and plus size models that they shows a true definition of beauty as human beings than tall and skinny models that is really fed up for others. Some people complains that they are pretty bad role model for young girls that they do really want to be skinny than they already are.

Yes Kate Moss, so few short people made it into success because they do work hard.

Thank you for understanding

Jan 17 10 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

allison mindy wrote:
No that was my question sorry.... New to the forums:

What is the cut off for Petite?

I know of no legitimate major modeling agencies catering to petite. There is just no market for short models. In very small markets, they can try to sell modeling classes by calling their agency whatever they want and some will call themselves petite agencies. Some larger agencies have petite division which is really their commercial print/lifestyle division and the height range can be anywhere from 5' 4-5' 7". The 5' 4" models are exceptionally rare and they don't work full time.

Jan 17 10 05:05 pm Link

Model

allison mindy

Gainesville, Florida, US

According to your link Asian models can be much shorter than 5'4 for commercial. Thank God for my genes! Thanks for the info!

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

ESCALANTE wrote:

This subject comes up often. An aspiring model who is 5’ 7” (170 cm) or shorter ask about modeling agency representation and is told that she is too short. People from both sides chime in making all kinds of bold claims and some just outright make up shit to support their claims.

Let’s deconstruct this and try to bring some understanding to the volatile subject.

Why is height brought up so often as a barrier to professional modeling?

Height is an objective measurable criterion by which models are measured. Often, there are other factors at play with the person asking the question which are not addressed. Since unsolicited critiques are discouraged and often subjective, the easiest thing to do is to point out height as a barrier. Along with height, other criteria exist. Location, age, body measurements, face symmetry, and the right look are all important criteria to consider. Pointing out height without mentioning all other requirements leads the model asking the question to focus on that single requirement and defend it by citing all kinds of exceptions to minimum height requirements.  The fact is that being tall does not make someone a shoe in for modeling. So even if that model somehow overcame the height issue, all the other issues still has to be dealt with.

Let’s dispel some common statements

All professional models have to be 5’ 8” (173 cm) or taller to get signed by an agency. This is false. There are different kinds of agencies. 5’ 8” (173 cm) is the minimum for fashion agencies. Major agencies in major markets will set this minimum for commercial models too because commercial models are often fashion models. There is no need to have a roster of tall models for fashion and another roster for 5’ 6” (168 cm) to 5' 8" (173 cm) models. Tall models can do both and there is no shortage of tall models so tall models have the advantage of being flexible.

There are commercial/lifestyle agencies. They often will list a minimum height requirement of 5'7" (170 cm) or 5' 8" (173 cm) but will often sign shorter models, particularly Asian models in the appropriate market.

There are talent, promotional, and acting agencies. These don’t list any minimum height requirement but their work is not traditional modeling. It often involves product representation or acting.

Glamour modeling has no minimum height requirements. But there are no mainstream modeling agencies for glamour models in the U.S. although I've been told there are some in other countries like the U.K.

Short unsigned models cannot make money. This is false. Short models can make money but it’s almost impossible for a short model to make a living wage without doing nudes or glamour. There simply is not enough commercial demand for unsigned short models for any other kind of work and all the high paying jobs go to agencies.

Only runway and high fashion requires tall models. This is false. Look at the website for these top NY agencies (http://models.com/agencies/top/) and it will be obvious that they are not just doing runway and high fashion yet they all have minimum height requirements.

Print models and beauty products use short models because full body shots are not required. This is false. Major campaigns go to agencies for their models. Those agencies have minimum height requirements. Models can be tall and exceptionally beautiful so tall models can and do work in beauty campaigns. Again, this comes back to supply. There is no shortage of beautiful tall models so why go looking for a short beautiful model for a beauty campaign.

Everyday people buy fashion so fashion is modeled by everyday people. Advertising is about representing the product at its best. The fact is that everyday people are not used in ads, not even commercial ads. Commercial models are idealized versions of everyday people. They look like everyday people but better. If you don’t believe me, look at an ad for a product. Do they look like the people in line at the supermarket or the people on the bus? In fashion, tall models are used because fashion drapes better on tall models. It does not matter that the buyers are not 5’ 9” (175 cm) and size 2. The models are used to best show the garment. The average American woman is 5’4” (163 cm), size 14, and weighs 152 pounds (69 kg). Would you buy lingerie from Victoria’s Secret if she was modeling it? Do you see this average woman on the poster boards at The Gap or Banana Republic?

You can’t tell height from a picture. Don’t be ridiculous. Height is very apparent in pictures. Body proportions for short people vs tall people are different. If a short model is well proportioned and standing in front of a seamless background, it’s more difficult but put that model next to a 5’ 9” (175 cm) model or next to a doorway and it will be very apparent.

What about Kate Moss? She is 5’4, 5’5”, 5’ 6”, 5’ 7”. There is only one Kate Moss and the fact that she became a fashion model despite her height has nothing to do with anyone else. She was discovered at age 14 by Sarah Doukas, the founder of Storm Model Management. They had hoped she would grow taller but she didn’t and by then she had already achieved supermodel status so it didn’t matter. Bottom line, you may be 5’ 7” (170 cm) but you are no Kate Moss.

What about Devon Aoki? She’s 5’ 5”(165 cm). Devon Aoki is another exception. Her father was Rocki Aoki, a former Olympic wrestler and founder and owner of the Benihana restaurant chain. Devon was discovered when she was 13 and was introduced to Kate Moss who took her under her wings and got her signed to Storm Model Management at age 14. She had a short fashion career compared to Kate Moss and moved quickly into film. Bottom line, if you are 13, have a unique look, and have an international supermodel as a friend, you might have a shot. Until then, stop citing Devon Aoki.

What about Eva Pigford? She is 5’ 6.5” (169 cm). Eva Marcille Pigford, who goes by Eva Marcille now, is not a fashion model. She is reality TV show celebrity who has modeled some fashion as a result of her fame. After her win in Cycle 4 of America’s Next Top Model, they quickly raised the minimum height requirement to 5’ 7” (170 cm).  Celebrities often model fashion regardless of their height. Eva is making the transition to acting.

What about Cycle 13 of America's Next Top Model? They only want applicants to be 5' 7" and UNDER. This move further solidifies the fact that ANTM has as much to do with real world modeling as The Biggest Loser. To date, no ANTM winner has established themselves in any significant manner in the modeling world. Sure a few winners have gone on to do a few covers and model in some shows but they are all pretty much entertainers. ANTM is a reality TV show. Cycle 13 appears to be some kind of gimmick to introduce some spark into the new show. It's unsure at this point what angle they are going play. Maybe it will focus on commercial/lifestyle modeling. More likely, they will just follow the same formula of casting the most drama ridden girls. Regardless of who wins, the trend of ANTM not moving on to become real top models will certainly continue with a model under 5' 7".

What about Evangeline Lilly? She was signed with Ford. Evangeline Lilly was signed with the acting division of Ford. She was never a fashion model.

What about Agyness Deyn? What about her? Woman Management NY list her at 5’ 10” (178 cm) but she is really 5’ 8” (173 cm). Not exactly a shorty.

More from Roger here.

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

people...there is nothing wrong with short people..

No one said there was anything wrong with shorter people, they just said you can't get into a mainstream modeling agency. Why waste your energy trying to punch through a brick wall? That wall is not likely to break, your hand is what is going to break.

You could still model freelance, and get into talent (acting) agencies.

Jan 17 10 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

allison mindy wrote:
According to your link Asian models can be much shorter than 5'4 for commercial. Thank God for my genes! Thanks for the info!

I wouldn't say much shorter. Maybe and inch or two in the right market.

Jan 17 10 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

people...there is nothing wrong with short people...they are just beautiful as human beings. so do not dare to ruin their dreams what they want to be... Size is not even that important.  SO open mind about that.

I applaud with a big pride for petite and plus size models that they shows a true definition of beauty as human beings than tall and skinny models that is really fed up for others. Some people complains that they are pretty bad role model for young girls that they do really want to be skinny than they already are.

Yes Kate Moss, so few short people made it into success because they do work hard.

huh ?

Hmm sweety kate moss is 5'8 she isn't "short" ... she is at the petite cut off for many agenices. but trust me things are not going to be changing anytime soon.
Also  Chica , this is MM .. Seriously no need to grandstand on the 'Shorty pride' for Fashion... It will fall on deaf ears .. this isnt the Industry.

Again how about reading this www.newmodels.com ..
buena suerte !

Jan 17 10 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

There's nothing wrong with ugly people either. There just very little demand for them as models aside from character modeling. Some dreams are only that. Everyone is not qualified to do everything.

Jan 17 10 05:09 pm Link

Model

allison mindy

Gainesville, Florida, US

PYPI FASHION wrote:

I wouldn't say much shorter. Maybe and inch or two in the right market.

5'3 smile and Yes, I agree with your glamor statement. People have been telling me to get into glamor because of my height. I actually had my first glamor shoot today! Thanks for all the helpful info!

Jan 17 10 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

No one anywhere in this thread has suggested there is anything wrong with short people, so please stop projecting.  You have asked a legitimate question regarding professional modeling agencies, and you've been given very accurate answers.  If the purpose of this thread is to discuss body image, then you asked the wrong question from the get-go.  Start another thread on that topic if you feel like it.

Re:  Your dream of becoming a model.  The modeling business, including legitimate modeling agencies, don't care about them.  They are a business with more important things to consider.  Having dreams is lovely, so long as you accept reality when it gets in the way.

Re:  Kate Moss.  She is every misguided short model's go-to success story, even though she's (quite literally) one in a million and in no way represents 99.99% + of what really goes on in the fashion industry.

Jan 17 10 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

'Bout time ! took you long enough to post this thing ! lol
Should've posted it at the top we all knew this was headed in wrong direction from the start ! lol! Thanks P!

PYPI FASHION wrote:

This subject comes up often. An aspiring model who is 5’ 7” (170 cm) or shorter ask about modeling agency representation and is told that she is too short. People from both sides chime in making all kinds of bold claims and some just outright make up shit to support their claims.

Let’s deconstruct this and try to bring some understanding to the volatile subject.

Why is height brought up so often as a barrier to professional modeling?

Height is an objective measurable criterion by which models are measured. Often, there are other factors at play with the person asking the question which are not addressed. Since unsolicited critiques are discouraged and often subjective, the easiest thing to do is to point out height as a barrier. Along with height, other criteria exist. Location, age, body measurements, face symmetry, and the right look are all important criteria to consider. Pointing out height without mentioning all other requirements leads the model asking the question to focus on that single requirement and defend it by citing all kinds of exceptions to minimum height requirements.  The fact is that being tall does not make someone a shoe in for modeling. So even if that model somehow overcame the height issue, all the other issues still has to be dealt with.

Let’s dispel some common statements

All professional models have to be 5’ 8” (173 cm) or taller to get signed by an agency. This is false. There are different kinds of agencies. 5’ 8” (173 cm) is the minimum for fashion agencies. Major agencies in major markets will set this minimum for commercial models too because commercial models are often fashion models. There is no need to have a roster of tall models for fashion and another roster for 5’ 6” (168 cm) to 5' 8" (173 cm) models. Tall models can do both and there is no shortage of tall models so tall models have the advantage of being flexible.

There are commercial/lifestyle agencies. They often will list a minimum height requirement of 5'7" (170 cm) or 5' 8" (173 cm) but will often sign shorter models, particularly Asian models in the appropriate market.

There are talent, promotional, and acting agencies. These don’t list any minimum height requirement but their work is not traditional modeling. It often involves product representation or acting.

Glamour modeling has no minimum height requirements. But there are no mainstream modeling agencies for glamour models in the U.S. although I've been told there are some in other countries like the U.K.

Short unsigned models cannot make money. This is false. Short models can make money but it’s almost impossible for a short model to make a living wage without doing nudes or glamour. There simply is not enough commercial demand for unsigned short models for any other kind of work and all the high paying jobs go to agencies.

Only runway and high fashion requires tall models. This is false. Look at the website for these top NY agencies (http://models.com/agencies/top/) and it will be obvious that they are not just doing runway and high fashion yet they all have minimum height requirements.

Print models and beauty products use short models because full body shots are not required. This is false. Major campaigns go to agencies for their models. Those agencies have minimum height requirements. Models can be tall and exceptionally beautiful so tall models can and do work in beauty campaigns. Again, this comes back to supply. There is no shortage of beautiful tall models so why go looking for a short beautiful model for a beauty campaign.

Everyday people buy fashion so fashion is modeled by everyday people. Advertising is about representing the product at its best. The fact is that everyday people are not used in ads, not even commercial ads. Commercial models are idealized versions of everyday people. They look like everyday people but better. If you don’t believe me, look at an ad for a product. Do they look like the people in line at the supermarket or the people on the bus? In fashion, tall models are used because fashion drapes better on tall models. It does not matter that the buyers are not 5’ 9” (175 cm) and size 2. The models are used to best show the garment. The average American woman is 5’4” (163 cm), size 14, and weighs 152 pounds (69 kg). Would you buy lingerie from Victoria’s Secret if she was modeling it? Do you see this average woman on the poster boards at The Gap or Banana Republic?

You can’t tell height from a picture. Don’t be ridiculous. Height is very apparent in pictures. Body proportions for short people vs tall people are different. If a short model is well proportioned and standing in front of a seamless background, it’s more difficult but put that model next to a 5’ 9” (175 cm) model or next to a doorway and it will be very apparent.

What about Kate Moss? She is 5’4, 5’5”, 5’ 6”, 5’ 7”. There is only one Kate Moss and the fact that she became a fashion model despite her height has nothing to do with anyone else. She was discovered at age 14 by Sarah Doukas, the founder of Storm Model Management. They had hoped she would grow taller but she didn’t and by then she had already achieved supermodel status so it didn’t matter. Bottom line, you may be 5’ 7” (170 cm) but you are no Kate Moss.

What about Devon Aoki? She’s 5’ 5”(165 cm). Devon Aoki is another exception. Her father was Rocki Aoki, a former Olympic wrestler and founder and owner of the Benihana restaurant chain. Devon was discovered when she was 13 and was introduced to Kate Moss who took her under her wings and got her signed to Storm Model Management at age 14. She had a short fashion career compared to Kate Moss and moved quickly into film. Bottom line, if you are 13, have a unique look, and have an international supermodel as a friend, you might have a shot. Until then, stop citing Devon Aoki.

What about Eva Pigford? She is 5’ 6.5” (169 cm). Eva Marcille Pigford, who goes by Eva Marcille now, is not a fashion model. She is reality TV show celebrity who has modeled some fashion as a result of her fame. After her win in Cycle 4 of America’s Next Top Model, they quickly raised the minimum height requirement to 5’ 7” (170 cm).  Celebrities often model fashion regardless of their height. Eva is making the transition to acting.

What about Cycle 13 of America's Next Top Model? They only want applicants to be 5' 7" and UNDER. This move further solidifies the fact that ANTM has as much to do with real world modeling as The Biggest Loser. To date, no ANTM winner has established themselves in any significant manner in the modeling world. Sure a few winners have gone on to do a few covers and model in some shows but they are all pretty much entertainers. ANTM is a reality TV show. Cycle 13 appears to be some kind of gimmick to introduce some spark into the new show. It's unsure at this point what angle they are going play. Maybe it will focus on commercial/lifestyle modeling. More likely, they will just follow the same formula of casting the most drama ridden girls. Regardless of who wins, the trend of ANTM not moving on to become real top models will certainly continue with a model under 5' 7".

What about Evangeline Lilly? She was signed with Ford. Evangeline Lilly was signed with the acting division of Ford. She was never a fashion model.

What about Agyness Deyn? What about her? Woman Management NY list her at 5’ 10” (178 cm) but she is really 5’ 8” (173 cm). Not exactly a shorty.

More from Roger here.

Jan 17 10 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

The answer is still very likely "none"

Jan 17 10 05:12 pm Link

Model

Model Stellaa

some of you who is pretty rude of sayings to me which is not necessary at all. I only ask anyone to give me information and advices as friendly as possible because many people told I should go for it. so I am encouraged and believed.

Please have some manners and respects.

Thank you for giving me advices...

Jan 17 10 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

Richard Dubois wrote:

No one anywhere in this thread has suggested there is anything wrong with short people, so please stop projecting.  You have asked a legitimate question regarding professional modeling agencies, and you've been given very accurate answers.  If the purpose of this thread is to discuss body image, then you asked the wrong question from the get-go.  Start another thread on that topic if you feel like it.

Re:  Your dream of becoming a model.  The modeling business, including legitimate modeling agencies, don't care about them.  They are a business with more important things to consider.  Having dreams is lovely, so long as you accept reality when it gets in the way.

Re:  Kate Moss.  She is every short model's go-to success story, even though she's (quite literally) one in a million and in no way represents 99.99% + of what really goes on in the fashion industry.

WFT+100000000000000000000000
Thanks Richard

Jan 17 10 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

some of you who is pretty rude of sayings to me which is not necessary at all. I only ask anyone to give me information and advices as friendly as possible because many people told I should go for it. so I am encouraged and believed.

NO one here has been rude to you ... everyone has behaved in a very professional and civil manner...

Jan 17 10 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Unless the "many people" you refer to are professionals that know how modeling agencies work, just thank them and take their compliments with a grain of salt.

Feel free to quote everything in this thread you found lacked manners and respect, I'm curious.

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

There is only one rude person in this thread.

So far.

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

I'm feeling rather charitable today so I'm going to ask for a mercy lock on this. The question has been answered and it's all downhill from here.

Jan 17 10 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

PYPI FASHION wrote:
I'm feeling rather charitable today so I'm going to ask for a mercy lock on this. The question has been answered and it's all downhill from here.

I 2nd that Motion... It has been professionally answered by several agency approved photographers and this topic has been gone over several several times already, a simple thread search would yield bountiful results.

Jan 17 10 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

people...there is nothing wrong with short people...

Ugh.

NOBODY has said that ANYTHING IS WRONG with short people.

But, how many 5'3" men do you see playing Pro basketball?   He can be the nicest, hardest working guy in the world but he will NOT be playing pro ball at 5'3".  Nothing wrong with a man being 5'3" but you ain't gonna play pro basketball.

How many 6'5" jockey's at the Kentucky Derby do you see?  None, right?  Why?  The job does not allow someone of that height (and weight) to ride.  There is nothing wrong with being tall.  But, you ain't gonna be a jockey if you are.

No agency that I am aware of will be interested in signing a 5' tall model.  If you want agency representation, learn to act or do voice overs or something and find a Talent Agency.

Jan 17 10 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

What are the qualifications and background of the people who said you should "go for it"?

Jan 17 10 05:21 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

I just threw up....

You got every short cliche response in one post... Kudos. That's fuckin skill.

Jan 17 10 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

Fifi wrote:
I just threw up....

You got every short cliche response in one post... Kudos. That's fuckin skill.

LMFAO!Just spit out my whole Vit.D Mouthfull of Milk and it went through my nose a little bit too! hahaha!!!!
DAMN ! Gurl Just Read Her Out !

Time for this to be Locked ... Please Its going to get worse...

Jan 17 10 05:24 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

I LOVE it when girls claim that Kate Moss made it because of hard work and diligence to change the industry....

She made it because she knew the right people and she's fuckin Kate Moss.

lol

As a shorty myself, these threads always leave me shaking my head and giggling.

Jan 17 10 05:27 pm Link

Model

allison mindy

Gainesville, Florida, US

Thank you so  much!

Just to let you know, I was signed on with an agency (New View Model Management for years), but I live in a smaller town. You live NYC. How are you going to compete with all of the 5'10 gorgeous women there? I think your only chance is to move to a small town, but as everyone has said... beware of the portfolio mills!

Jan 17 10 05:28 pm Link