Forums > Model Colloquy > Models with scoliosis?

Model

GingerBedlam

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I have it...but it's mild.  I've been told that the only way someone would know is if they're either doing seamstress work for me, or if they're running a finger along my spine.  To the best of my knowledge it doesn't put any kind of limit on posing for me.  We'll see what happens as I get older. smile

Jan 22 10 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Duane Allen Rusty Halo

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

My backs been broken and ribs as well I do have kneesles (pimple sacred kness and dont even ask about my smallc*X problem

Jan 22 10 11:06 am Link

Model

Miss Ashley Raelyn

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Lex Machina wrote:
This was sparked by a conversation with a photographer friend of mine over this amazing image of Louis A. Sayre, MD, with a Woman in a Suspension Device for Treating Scoliosis, London, 1877

http://lexmachina.tumblr.com/post/33956 … a-woman-in

(From A Morning’s Work: Medical Photographs from the Burns Archive & Collection, 1843-1939, photographer unknown)

I did a search and found a number of mentions of this, but not a comprehensive thread, and I've known quite a few models diagnosed with scoliosis.

Are there any studies on the subject of models with scoliosis anywhere? Any statistics?

Obviously this is not a formal study, but purely for the sake of curiosity, who here on MM has scoliosis?

I have the dreaded scoliosis! I would probably be around 5'4 without it.
I'm 5'3
it's a 25 degree.

Jan 22 10 11:08 am Link

Model

Christina Szabo

New York, New York, US

I should  be the poster child for scoliosis...found it when I was in 7th grade I had a slight upper curve of 19 degrees..they said to come back in a month or two when I did the curve was around 27 (the mistake the doctor's made is that summer I had a growth spurt) they aggressively treated it with a back brace that I had to wear 23 hours a day..o the brace was wonderful it gave me horrible sores all over (just like bed sores)

I finally got the news in 9th grade that my curve was increasing (at this point I was almost at 67 degree) the top part of my back looked like a C..the doctors said my only option was surgery or in another year I would be in a wheel chair.  When I walked I felt like I was going to tip over.

The surgery was tough I was in for an entire week and lost over 30 pounds..I now have a 2 foot scare down my back and 2 rods on either side of my spine with pins in my back...they couldn't get my perfect I still have a 20 degree curve at the top portion of my back but I've learned how to hold my back so it looks like I have a perfect posture tongue

And no I do not set off the alarms at airports wink

Jan 22 10 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Sungoddess Studios

Keyport, New Jersey, US

Lex Machina wrote:
This was sparked by a conversation with a photographer friend of mine over this amazing image of Louis A. Sayre, MD, with a Woman in a Suspension Device for Treating Scoliosis, London, 1877

(From A Morning’s Work: Medical Photographs from the Burns Archive & Collection, 1843-1939, photographer unknown)

I did a search and found a number of mentions of this, but not a comprehensive thread, and I've known quite a few models diagnosed with scoliosis.

Are there any studies on the subject of models with scoliosis anywhere? Any statistics?

Obviously this is not a formal study, but purely for the sake of curiosity, who here on MM has scoliosis?

Had one model that was awesome and she had the ailment. she leaned with particular poses.

Jan 22 10 11:15 am Link

Model

Christina Szabo

New York, New York, US

sunshine09 wrote:

I have the dreaded scoliosis! I would probably be around 5'4 without it.
I'm 5'3
it's a 25 degree.

I was 5'8 1/2" and woke up 5 hours later 5'10" ...

Jan 22 10 11:16 am Link

Photographer

ilhsdlfhjsda

New York, New York, US

Is there a Scoliosis Photoshop Plug-in?

Jan 22 10 11:41 am Link

Photographer

MartinImages

Los Angeles, California, US

...about 3 out of 10 people have scoliosis.

Our spines just come in a bunch of different shapes.  not all perfectly straight.  like our everything elses.  wink

Only when it's severe is it a health problem, or even visible.

B

Jan 22 10 11:43 am Link

Photographer

LinguaDentata

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm sure there no studies about "models and scoliosis"

Jan 22 10 11:49 am Link

Model

Christina Szabo

New York, New York, US

martinimages wrote:
...about 3 out of 10 people have scoliosis.

Our spines just come in a bunch of different shapes.  not all perfectly straight.  like our everything elses.  wink

Only when it's severe is it a health problem, or even visible.

B

If your curve is under 20 degrees and you're done growing then most people won't even know they have it..over 20 could cause back aches..all US public schools run tests the test..that's how mine was discovered..

Jan 22 10 12:05 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

LucyTheModel wrote:
They can manually realign your spine?
   Is this an option fo rthe average person with scoliosis and is it very painful and/or debiliating?

I never knew that there were options for treatment other than surgery (and I wore a brace at night when I was younger) and I am sick of pain.

I went to a chiropractor that specialized in treating Scoliosis patients. He showed me some testimonials from other patients, and I was not the worst patient he treated. It is very painful (I had to be manually realigned, do traction, physical therapy and wear head/neck gear).... but in the long run, it was worth it.

The thing you have to remember, that unlike surgery, it isn't a permanent fix. I decided to go this route to prolong my ability to do the things I love. When I am older, I will more than likely have to have corrective surgery if my curve worsens again, but right now, I am happy and finally healthy (the curve was pushing on my lungs and heart). smile

Jan 22 10 12:29 pm Link

Model

Christina Szabo

New York, New York, US

Yes chiropractor treatment is now a wonderful option...it depends how bad your curve is...

I've heard of cases where they where able to decline curve by 10 degrees ..I wish it was available back when I was younger

Jan 22 10 12:35 pm Link

Model

Lyndel Brown

Gainesville, Alabama, US

I have a slight curvature. Nothing too horrible, never had a brace or surgery.

Jan 22 10 12:44 pm Link

Model

Georgia-Leigh

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

i have scoliosis, had a back brace i needed to wear when i was younger 23 hours a day. i have two curves, one at the top of my spine which is about 33 degrees and one in the middle of my spine, which is about 40 degrees.

unless someone is staring directly at my spine, no one can tell I even have scoliosis. Once I mention it, people look at my hips and can see a little bit of a difference cause one sits a bit higher than the other but its no big deal. I think it gives me awesome posture cause when I slouch I get a lot of back pain.

Jan 22 10 01:21 pm Link

Model

Aspin Lea

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was in 8th grade. It has gotten worse over the years, but hey the way i look at it - im still a good poser smile

Jan 22 10 04:21 pm Link

Model

Amelia Talon

Seattle, Washington, US

My school never caught mine. It wasn't until I went to MEPS to join the marine corp(long story, no longer going) that the dr. told me I have a slight curve. But I was 18 and I looked up online that I probably won't be growing anytime soon and would be fine. So I checked out my back and you can tell only because my left muscle on my back is raised higher than the one on the right because of a small curve. I was even told by my friend who is two years younger and has it really bad said "you sit like you have scoliosis".. because I slouch when i sit, it's just way more comfortable. I get back cramps when I twist for a long period of time during shoots. That's about it, nothing interesting.

Jan 22 10 10:31 pm Link

Model

Engel Schrei

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

I have it, pretty badly. Chronic daily pain.

It is what it is.

Jan 22 10 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

LucyTheModel wrote:

I don't think natural variation in the curvatures of the spine is really considered scoliosis until it becomes a little "extreme".

Ditto. I had surgery during my high school years. You'll know scoliosis when you see it.

Jan 22 10 10:54 pm Link

Model

jessy nix

Urbino, Marche, Italy

i do :-(

Jan 23 10 01:52 am Link

Model

Bailey K

London, England, United Kingdom

I have it
x

Jan 23 10 05:07 am Link

Photographer

Lex Machina

London, England, United Kingdom

Engel Schrei wrote:
I have it, pretty badly. Chronic daily pain.

It is what it is.

I remember. smile You were actually the first model I saw with it [at a lighting workshop in TX about a year ago] and since then I have run into 3 or 4 more, which along with that photo and conversation in my original post is really what prompted this thread.

I am so sorry for those of you that deal with pain due to scoliosis.
But I do think it's interesting that so many models deal with it, even if 3 in 10 people supposedly have it the only people I've met that I know have it, have all been models.
Maybe that has to do with the fact that working with their bodies, it's more noticeable or brought up more. Maybe I've met plenty of people with it and just didn't know.

If any of you ever want to let me shoot your back, friend/msg me, I'd love to do a tasteful series of b&w photos that show off the curvature rather than hide it.
And I know that for some of you scars are a really negative thing and can be lifechanging if they're large and unsightly, but for the record, I think scars are awesome.
But I'm weird like that.

Jan 31 10 06:46 am Link

Model

K_G

Detroit, Michigan, US

Lex Machina wrote:

I have a small curve in my lower back, but not enough to wear a brace. I have found that the only problem I have with it is fatigue. Yoga and doing lots of core exercises has really helped support it so I don't have a problem with it. smile

Jan 31 10 06:50 am Link

Model

Ashley Vetere

Mission Viejo, California, US

I have it! I go to the chiropractor once a month to help with the pain.

Jan 31 10 09:17 am Link

Photographer

PDF IMAGES PHOTOGRAPHY

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Vixxa Violet wrote:

I don't mean this any mean way at all wink
I think EVERYONE has a little scoliosis. All that means is that, it takes REaLLY regular chiropractic work to keep your spine in alignment.

Especially for models, since we're all getting twisty and turny all the time! smile

+1

Jan 31 10 09:24 am Link

Model

Aileen Maria

New York, New York, US

I have it and I have to be very aware of my posture.

Jan 31 10 07:10 pm Link

Model

Lauren WK

Los Angeles, California, US

Scoliosis and arthritis.

Jan 31 10 08:23 pm Link

Model

Kandi Queen

San Diego, California, US

I have scoliosis and have also had the arthritis that comes along with it, however you learn to deal with it, my main issue is the bulging muscles in the back being painful so massage therapy works wonderfully! One hip does sit a little higher so I always tend to through one out anyways, thankfully glamour modeling allows that lol. Just my thoughts

Feb 01 10 06:25 am Link

Model

NBurke

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

I have it!
I'm surprised to see how many people have responded. Have you ever had someone notice your scoliosis while on a job? Has it ever impacted your work as models? I've never had anyone notice my scoliosis even though I have it pretty severely.

Nicole

Jan 13 11 10:07 pm Link

Model

Clara J

Seattle, Washington, US

I have two 30 degree curves in my spine making it look like an S...it's not really noticeable except that one shoulder blade is higher and sticks out further than the other.

The most frustrating thing about it is that doctors say it should not cause pain....lies

Jan 13 11 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Carter

A friend of mine really wants to model, and I've been encouraging her, and she has it and it was never caught when she was a child.

She apparently doesn't have the S curve type, but the one where the spine twisted or something. You can see it in her posing sometimes because she spent her whole life with it and adjusted what's "comfortable" because of it.

Jan 13 11 10:27 pm Link

Model

TJJ2021

Asbury Park, New Jersey, US

I do! Sucks because I would be at least an inch taller without it. And I'm always consciously trying to "even myself" out, especially at shoots & castings. Damn you, body...

Jan 14 11 08:27 am Link

Model

JasmineBowen

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I have 3 curves, bottum, middle and neck that are getting worse. It makes my arms go numb. It looks worse on the xray than on real life, but because I lose feeling in limbs, it will need surgery one day, even though it physically can not be  noticed unless you look.
I still make modeling 30% of my income (70% is acting). It can be done, just know how to turn or pose and you can create awesome pics too!

Jan 14 11 08:42 am Link

Model

kevinvun

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

It's so comforting to read stories about other people who are modeling who have scoliosis.

Ive been really wary and self conscious about it and have since decided on a tattoo on the side to help me deal with it.

However I was wondering, do you think agencies or those involved with photo shoots and the like would not consider you because you had such a curve? As in, has scoliosis been a factor in your modeling careers or experiences?

Because if it has then I'm going to go ahead and get the tattoo, however it hasn't I'm not going to because I heard tattoos will cut off certain casting opportunities.

Again its nice to hear all the support on this forum and to know you're not alone.

Jan 27 11 06:26 am Link

Photographer

Quentin Skyking

Lancaster, Massachusetts, US

Lex Machina wrote:

Not to get off the subject, but my wife and I were looking a the link and thought that device would be- ahem- fun. Am I the only one thinking that?

Jan 27 11 06:35 am Link

Model

AlexandraAnastasia

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

I've got it and a slip disc where it curves the most. Mild but what hurts is definitely the slip disc. It's never been much of a problem unless I'm attempting a high back kick. Besides that, nothing too obvious

Jan 27 11 06:36 am Link

Model

L i v

I do

Funny when they 'tested' for it in middle school by bending over and observing it was not spotted, but after horrible back pain, went to a doc and yep!!  Wore a back brace for 23 hours a day so I wouldn't need surgery.  It's a pain in the ass but it could be a lot worse!

smile

Jan 27 11 06:49 am Link

Model

KrisKrossApplesauce

Munich, Bavaria, Germany

Jennifer Barker wrote:
I have a touch .. cannot arch my back ..

Me as well. I get some of the worst back spasms if i try.. makes it hard sometimes to be an art model! lol

Jan 27 11 01:23 pm Link

Model

StaciF

New York, New York, US

Yep.....I have it...So if I pose to the right I get the really exagerated hip thrust..

Jan 27 11 04:45 pm Link

Model

Mischa Marie

Sacramento, California, US

I have it. Got diagnosed when I was in 5th grade.

It sucks. I outs me in pain some days. And I'm not really flexible enough to do some modeling poses.

Jan 27 11 04:49 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

I have it. 

They proposed surgery but I was a gymnast at the time so I refused.  To reduce pain I have to stay under a certain body weight. I also have what I call my "hole" where I guess spine should be, but isn't. It's feels...I don't know how to describe it..wrong? when anything touches there.

It wasn't a big deal until I got sick ( totally unrelated) last year. I was in bed a lot, and over the course of a year I lost a little bit over an inch. in addition to what was already there.

Fucklesticks.

Jan 27 11 05:00 pm Link