Forums > General Industry > Alternative modeling agencies...

Model

Tempest Inc

Brooklyn, New York, US

With the growing success of alternative models, Im wondering why there isnt an agency that represents them. What was once considered edge or punk or fetish is slowly but surely seeping into mainstream media. So, why arent alternative models finding more representation? It was stated in a post elsewhere that one should consider who hires alt mnodels and the fact that agencies do what is in their financial best interest. However, who at this point in time doesnt see how figures such as Dita Von Teese, Kat Von D etc., individuals who are literally staples of alt culture, are being further represented and accepted in the media. There is an audience for us and it has grown increasingly wide spread and yes mainstream, why isnt there representation? Perhaps I missed something?

Jan 21 10 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, California, US

Dorothy Ricot wrote:
Perhaps I missed something?

yes.  the understanding of how agencies remain in business.

Jan 21 10 07:27 pm Link

Model

Nicole Vaunt

Portland, Oregon, US

There is an "alt" agency... they're called Ugly Talent.
But the thing with more alternative modes becoming mainstream is that designers are more open to it, and now it's ok to have a tattoo or two if you're a high fashion model. So again, it's the old question of: why hire a shorter alt model when a tall fashion model can do the same thing but keep the established standard?

Jan 21 10 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

Simon Gerzina

Brooklyn, New York, US

Dorothy Ricot wrote:
With the growing success of alternative models

What growing success?  Are you seeing a lot of alternative models represented in the mainstream commercial culture?

Agencies can't really stay afloat and profitable on the back of a small, niche culture.  Case in point: Ugly NY closing its doors last year.

Jan 21 10 07:50 pm Link

Model

The Model Angela

Mesa, Arizona, US

Vaunt wrote:

I think the London office is the only one still open... but please correct me if I'm wrong. smile

Vaunt wrote:
But the thing with more alternative modes becoming mainstream is that designers are more open to it

It's also fairly easy to hire a MUA/H to "alt up" your mainstream model, slap on a few temp tats and fake piercings, and voila, you have an agency standard alt model.

Personally, I like a model who's not perfect. People who are different are just more interesting to look at, IMO.

Jan 21 10 07:53 pm Link

Model

Tempest Inc

Brooklyn, New York, US

291 wrote:

I was seeking understanding, hence the act of asking a question.

Jan 21 10 08:52 pm Link

Model

Tempest Inc

Brooklyn, New York, US

The Model Angela wrote:

Vaunt wrote:

I think the London office is the only one still open... but please correct me if I'm wrong. smile

It's also fairly easy to hire a MUA/H to "alt up" your mainstream model, slap on a few temp tats and fake piercings, and voila, you have an agency standard alt model.

Personally, I like a model who's not perfect. People who are different are just more interesting to look at, IMO.

I understand, it seems backwards but at least im starting to see what is happening here.

Jan 21 10 08:54 pm Link

Model

Tempest Inc

Brooklyn, New York, US

Simon Gerzina wrote:
What growing success?  Are you seeing a lot of alternative models represented in the mainstream commercial culture?

Agencies can't really stay afloat and profitable on the back of a small, niche culture.  Case in point: Ugly NY closing its doors last year.

You're right it isnt models necessarily but individuals who entertain who happen to identify with or represent that subculture in some way.

As for whether this "niche" culture is still as underground as many would like to think, Im pretty certain is at the very least debatable.

Jan 21 10 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

MOPP

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Simon Gerzina wrote:

Alt isn't growing... and if anything, as far as I can see, is a fading trend.  As stated above, alt agencies are closing, and retailers like Hot Topic are falling by the wayside in droves, or revamping their business model to appeal to a more mainstream audience.
Alt, emo, goth... very small niche genres, likely to fade completely into obscurity before too long IMO

Jan 21 10 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Jade Noir

San Antonio, Texas, US

IMO, you're better off being a freelance alt. model.  Just because you aren't represented by an agency doesn't mean you still can't be successful.

Jan 21 10 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Jade Noir

San Antonio, Texas, US

MOPP wrote:

Alt isn't growing... and if anything, as far as I can see, is a fading trend.  As stated above, alt agencies are closing, and retailers like Hot Topic are falling by the wayside in droves, or revamping their business model to appeal to a more mainstream audience.
Alt, emo, goth... very small niche genres, likely to fade completely into obscurity before too long IMO

Goth has been around for a very long time.   AND, there's also been lots of alt./goth/fetish undertones in mainstream fashion magazines for a very long time as well.

Jan 21 10 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Jade Noir wrote:

MOPP wrote:

Goth has been around for a very long time.   AND, there's also been lots of alt./goth/fetish undertones in mainstream fashion magazines for a very long time as well.

Alt models are something the poster has been posting negative things about for a couple of years now. "Facts" don't need to be true for people to believe them, or repeat them. They do have to be true to be real facts, however, not just opinions stated as facts.

Jan 22 10 12:47 am Link

Model

Laura BrokenDoll

Modena, Emilia-Romagna, Italy

There are some here in Europe...
Don't know if they actually will provide much work to their models neutral

Jan 22 10 03:43 am Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

San Francisco, California, US

Vaunt wrote:
But the thing with more alternative modes becoming mainstream is that designers are more open to it, and now it's ok to have a tattoo or two if you're a high fashion model. So again, it's the old question of: why hire a shorter alt model when a tall fashion model can do the same thing but keep the established standard?

You mean UglyNY who closed their doors last years?

Jan 22 10 03:50 am Link

Model

JadeDRed

London, England, United Kingdom

MOPP wrote:
Alt isn't growing... and if anything, as far as I can see, is a fading trend.

I would probably agree with that, i'm sure it was a much bigger thing back when i started out (and it wasn't mainstream then).

Jan 22 10 12:45 pm Link

Model

JadeDRed

London, England, United Kingdom

PYPI FASHION wrote:

You mean UglyNY who closed their doors last years?

Ugly London are still very much about as far as i know, i know a couple of people who are with them.

http://www.ugly.org/

Jan 22 10 12:47 pm Link

Model

Babalon Salome

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Broken Doll wrote:
There are some here in Europe...
Don't know if they actually will provide much work to their models neutral

They don't. I have done some research.

Jan 22 10 02:41 pm Link

Model

Luella-Ruth

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom

Babalon Salome wrote:

They don't. I have done some research.

They don't.
I have been on them all, and only ever had one job.
Score!

Ugly London is still alive and kicking though.

x

Jan 22 10 02:52 pm Link

Model

Centia Rose

Epsom and Ewell, England, United Kingdom

There are loads of alt agencies in europe. But you have to join them all and network like crazy to get any decent jobs.

Jan 22 10 03:20 pm Link

Model

Bella Haushinka

Lake Havasu City, Arizona, US

Vaunt wrote:

shorter alt models apply to the masses what i mean by that is when you see shorter models or alt models you can see yourself wearing the clothing makeup etc. they feel closer to reality most people dont have the  perfect skin arent 6 ft tall and ribs skinny people arent perfect but to take someone so 'imperfect or different' and show that they can be gorgeous it just hits closer to home for people it feels more familiar at least thats how i feel. i say out with the old in with the new this world is changing all the time and im holding on tight for the ride

Mar 30 11 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Jean Renard Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

the growing trend is in amateurs who think they are alt models and should work since they have some cool shots.  They might work for photographers but few if any will work for ad agencies where the real money is and always will be.

A growing amateur population does not make an industry shift.

The change that I have seen here in LA, is a general interest in clients looking for "alt" talent that does it all, act, dance, speak, model and even sing or is athletic etc.  Keep in mind that the definition of alt could mean a model of mixed ethnicity, or with interesting hair color.

In any events the most talented of those folks have a better shot at getting representation, but they are far from amateurs and the money is tough to get.

Mar 30 11 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

ScorpioPics

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

291 wrote:

And the explanation is:

Models are used to represent the ultimate consumer
and the ones who cause sales are ASPIRATIONAL
to that ultimate consumer - that is - that the model
is more attractive than the ultimate consumer and

"if only the ultimate consumer would but that product, the ultimate consumer can also look that good"

Models considered "alt" models tend to not be as attractive
as the average consumer with bucks. Who wants to buy
something that will make them look LESS attractive?

That is the premise - and why alt models won't earn much.
The alt model was used only to draw attention to the brand
but cutting through the NOISE of all other ads
and not to actually sell the product. ( Complex, I know. )

I say "was used" because that fad has been done and
no longer has the same shock value.

Mar 30 11 06:40 pm Link

Artist/Painter

sdgillis

Portland, Oregon, US

they aren't modeling agencies per se, they are called talent agencies.

from promo models to strippers, actors and entertainers.

Mar 30 11 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

DVP Photography

Broomfield, Colorado, US

Alt has always been a small niche and is somewhat declining now.  It's easy to makeup a mainstream model as alt if that is needed which is rare.

Agencies can't make any money in a niche, hence they don't pursue it.  Agencies provide what paying clients want, and alt is not that.

There is a distinct subculture that is alt, and modeling there is mostly amateur.

Mar 30 11 10:33 pm Link

Model

Alice Cat

Haverfordwest, Wales, United Kingdom

I think alternative models have much more success in the UK than in the US, particularly those who freelance and get their own work.. The UK seems to generally be much more accepting of piercings and tattoos.. Not only that, but a lot of people actually really LIKE tattoos and piercings and the alternative culture in general over here.

If anything, in the UK it's harder for those alternative models like me, who are piercing and tattoo-less completely. I'm fairly small in height, I have a bit of squidge, and I only really fit retro, vintage, rockabilly and pin-up style photographs. The majority of the work I can get is unpaid, usually receiving payment of clothing or publicity or being featured in pin-up magazines.

I'm more than happy to not really make money and to measure my success by how many pin-up fans know my name - I love modelling, I love pin-up, I love meeting new people and seeing my success grow. I actually quite enjoy being my own boss. If I choose to not model for a month, I can. I don't have to worry about making money from modelling, which I think also helps me keep my passion for it.

May 30 11 06:31 am Link

Model

Jain Dowe

San Francisco, California, US

How about any in the SF Bay area?

Sep 04 14 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

MOPP wrote:

I think to a point I agree that alternative modeling is not something that's meant for mainstream but I don't think the style as a whole is 'falling by the wayside'  look at Unif, Nasty Gal or even Forever 21, they had Charlotte Free model their line last year I think and she's someone I consider to be an alt model.  Even Wildfox and Urban Outfitters have many alternative clothing style options on their sites.  There's also been more male and female tattooed models in major publications in recent history than in the past, at least from what I can tell.  I'm not saying that alt models agencies are going to suddenly explode in the industry but to act like alternative fashion doesn't exist just seems silly.

PS: hot topic was never fashionable, I should know I shopped there in high school.  Alternative fashion isn't exclusive to goth fashion.

Sep 04 14 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Those are primarily in the top markets.......but they do exist. Especially in LA. Also in NYC, and Chicago, and possibly Miami.

Try doing specific searches.

Sep 10 14 10:40 am Link