Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Are my dreams realistic?

Model

Bobby Maack

Groningen, Groningen, Netherlands

Ok, I am not sure if I should post this here, but anyway...here it goes. And I am sorry if it comes out too long.

For some reason I went into "evaluating my life" mode today and I've been thinking, considering my decisions and steps I have taken. And I just want to hear what someone else has to say...

I am aware there are tons of people with dreams out there and I am aware that a lot of those people never manage to achieve them,but that doesn't mean we need to stop trying, right?

Anyway... the story is...
I am on this site and trying to break through with modelling not so much because being a model is my dream job (I am loving it, but it is not really my highest purpose), but because it in a way provides me a door to the industry, entertainment business, etc. What I want to do, what I have always wanted doing is generally, act. Theater, Tv, Cinema...Just act. The original purpose behind my decision to go into modelling is so that I can "get into" the industry, gather some experience in the business and then use that, try and build up on it, as much as I can. Would it be still in modelling? Would it be in acting? Who knows?

I live in Europe, The Netherlands at the moment, although I originally come from Bulgaria. Acting opportunities are not as much as they are for example in the U.S. (I just presume here, maybe I am wrong) and by the time I manage to get myself there, I am guessing I will be at least 25-26 years-old. So I thought modelling would be a good way to get into it and start working on it now. However, I realise that most professional models are already very...professional by the time they are 21 (And I am gonna be 22 in April) so I am guessing it is maybe a little bit late to try and go too deep into that part of the industry, although, again, who knows what could happen?

I have had acting lessons in the past, participated in a few small theater plays, been on a few casting calls for movies, but thats about it.

Now...basically my question is...do you think this "plan" of mine is realistic? Considering everything...my age, my looks, my goals, my position? And I am no fool. I realise millions of people have the same dream and just a small percentage of them succeeds. I also realise this a very hard industry to really break into. I just need to see if my plan at least looks realistic somehow from other people's point of view. Or have I waited too long?

Anyway, I am sorry if this is too lengthy and I really appreciate it if you have read through all of it. I hope I managed to express myself clearly.

smile

Jan 30 10 05:11 pm Link

Model

Sarah M Model

Preston, England, United Kingdom

I see what you mean, a lot of actors start out in modelling. If I were you I'd try to get signed by a modelling agency, but don't make that your main focus. If I were you I'd go to drama school and concentrate on the acting. I reckon you have a better chance if you go through the traditional route, but yeah modelling could help open doors too. Do you go to drama school or anything now?

Jan 30 10 05:16 pm Link

Model

Bobby Maack

Liz M Model wrote:
I see what you mean, a lot of actors start out in modelling. If I were you I'd try to get signed by a modelling agency, but don't make that your main focus. If I were you I'd go to drama school and concentrate on the acting. I reckon you have a better chance if you go through the traditional route, but yeah modelling could help open doors too. Do you go to drama school or anything now?

Yes, thats where my "plan" came from- there are quite a few acotrs who started their careers from modelling.
I am freshly signed in an agency (about 2 weeks ago), which deals with modelling, but also casts for tv shows, commercials...They also give regular catwalk training and I'm gonna be doing this next time they do it (I think at some point in February).
I have taken drama lessons before, while I was still in high-school, but not right now. I go to uni studying Business & Management (Yes, I know its incredibly far away from creativity and acting, but I had to make a choice. Plus I figured, once I have a solid background, in case the whole acting thing doesn't work out, I will have something to help me you know...arrange my life). Thing is I have been planning this all my life and it is a little shocking when I realized today that the time for acting upon it has really come. Its now (now, as in this and the next 2-3 years) or never.

Jan 30 10 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

JStone

Chicago, Illinois, US

"I am loving it, but it is not really my highest purpose"

If you wish to succeed at anything you have to be a zealot and maniac with burning desire toward that goal. If you wish to succeed at this it must burn from within it must be your highest purpose.

Jan 30 10 05:30 pm Link

Model

Bobby Maack

JStone wrote:
"I am loving it, but it is not really my highest purpose"

If you wish to succeed at anything you have to be a zealot and maniac with burning desire toward that goal. If you wish to succeed at this it must burn from within it must be your highest purpose.

Thats what I am saying. Acting is what does it to me completely.
Modelling does it as well, but if I would have to choose one day between being an actor and being a model, I would choose being an actor.
Now don't get me wrong, when I say this, this doesn;t mean I slack as a model. No. I put a 100% of me in what I am doing.

Jan 30 10 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Steven S Hood

San Jose, California, US

Having lived (and have worked with) the Film Industry in Los Angeles, you are not alone in those feelings. Perserverence, dedication, and being open to the learning process are the keys. It's not easy even in the US.

Hundreds of people uproot themselves to Los Angeles every year, many of them without experience. Several come with prior experience in the indepedent market, where they have built up credentials and solid work-related experience. Any experience/training is good, especially if you're breaking into the film market, but it's no guarantee. If you want to act, in an area where there are not many opportunities, it's well within your power to make them.

That's my philosophy as both a working screenwriter, it's the attitude I take with photography. I'm not rich, but let's say I've got concept for a photo shoot, the image is powerful enough, I call on the people I have worked with in the past. I tell them what I need. They ask what their budget is. I tell 'em. We always have a fun time (and usually get some great shots).

Cheers!

Jan 30 10 06:00 pm Link

Model

Bobby Maack

Steven S Hood wrote:
Having lived (and have worked with) the Film Industry in Los Angeles, you are not alone in those feelings. Perserverence, dedication, and being open to the learning process are the keys. It's not easy even in the US.

Hundreds of people uproot themselves to Los Angeles every year, many of them without experience. Several come with prior experience in the indepedent market, where they have built up credentials and solid work-related experience. Any experience/training is good, especially if you're breaking into the film market, but it's no guarantee. If you want to act, in an area where there are not many opportunities, it's well within your power to make them.

That's my philosophy as both a working screenwriter, it's the attitude I take with photography. I'm not rich, but let's say I've got concept for a photo shoot, the image is powerful enough, I call on the people I have worked with in the past. I tell them what I need. They ask what their budget is. I tell 'em. We always have a fun time (and usually get some great shots).

Cheers!

Hello. Thanks for your input.
I realize that there are no guarantees here. But If I don't try and follow this dream of mine I will spend my whole life wondering "What if". And not knowing is one of the worst things ever I think.
So there I am, trying to make the best out of what I have here. I go to the agency, I contact phorographers, I try to network. And hopefully, I will achieve something.

Jan 30 10 06:10 pm Link

Model

TrackBelle

San Francisco, California, US

You're young and you should wholeheartedly pursue whatever it is that you love. If at some point you feel like you have given it your best shot and you are ready to move on to another stage in your life, then do that. But follow your passions. You only live once so make the most of it.

Jan 30 10 06:25 pm Link

Model

Bobby Maack

TrackBelle wrote:
You're young and you should wholeheartedly pursue whatever it is that you love. If at some point you feel like you have given it your best shot and you are ready to move on to another stage in your life, then do that. But follow your passions. You only live once so make the most of it.

Thanks. smile
I am doing this and I am in no way giving up!
I am actually just starting! haha
But I just wanted to see if this in some scenario sounded realistic to anyone.

Jan 30 10 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Allen Photo

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Bobby Maack wrote:

Thanks. smile
I am doing this and I am in no way giving up!
I am actually just starting! haha
But I just wanted to see if this in some scenario sounded realistic to anyone.

No.  It is completely unrealistic.  So were the Wright Brothers.  Man flying ?  Preposterous.  So were the Apollo missions.  Travel to the moon with computers that had less power than the average cell phone does today ?  Ludicrous.  So were Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. 

I wish to hell that people who use words like 'unrealistic' and 'impossible' would quit interrupting those of us that are busy actually DOING it. 

Follow your dreams.

Feb 01 10 08:29 am Link