Forums > Photography Talk > Good Portfolios?

Makeup Artist

J C Makeup

New York, New York, US

Hi,
Can anyone suggest a good brand (leather, high quality) of portfolios?  Or a store in the NY area or website that sells good brands?  thanks!

Jul 21 05 01:33 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I hear good things about House of Portfolios. I got my book at Pearl Paint in Chinatown, but I didn't get a particularly high quality one.

Jul 21 05 02:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

J C Makeup

New York, New York, US

thanks! 

Jul 21 05 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Bowling

Wesley Chapel, Florida, US

http://lightimpressionsdirect.com
They deal exclusively in Archival Preservation products, many of these are oriented to portfolio work. I have puchased a lot of my storage for media from them and have been very happy with their service and help.

Jul 22 05 11:41 pm Link

Jul 23 05 02:39 am Link

Photographer

Snorkel

New York, New York, US

House of Portfolios will give you a professional looking portfolio and you can have your name or logo stamped on the front. I have fellow friend photographers who have the light impressions or the archival portfolios that you buy at a camera shop and they just dont look anywhere near as portfessional as a wax skin or leather. The wax skin looks just like the leather at half the cost. Its also hard covered unlike cheaper portfolio that bend.

Remember your portfolio is a marketing tool and you should not skip quality. Its the first thing people see OVER your work. So make it look nice.

It will set you back $150-200 for an 11x14 (I really wouldnt recommend anything smaller) and a name or logo stamp. IF you pay cash you can get a discount - but sometimes you have to mention it.

Jul 23 05 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Terry D

Seattle, Washington, US

Check out the scuba portfolios at http://supermodel.com/store

It's very durable and really gives a professional look when presenting images.

Sales drivel from the website a bit pricey at $53.95

The "Scuba" book is the portfolio of choice by leading agencies and top models all over the world. It feels like leather but is much more durable. The cover will never split or crack and easily wipes clean. It comes with 20, 9 � 12 pages good for 40 photographs. There is a horizontal pocket on the back, inside cover for composites and slide holders with permanently fused in pages.

Jul 26 05 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I got mine from Pearl as well. I had a leather one when I was showing 8x10's I started printing 13x19's and had to get rid of it. I actually gave it to a friend of mine. I now have the $25 plastic one. I'm not going to agencies with my work so for me it works as a reference to show the models the quality of the printed image. You'll have to do what works for you.

Jul 26 05 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

i purchased all of mine from brewer-cantelmo--they're pretty high-end, but house of portfolios, from what i've seen will satisfy most people--and their pocketbook!

Jul 26 05 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

Snorkel

New York, New York, US

Posted by Terry Divyak: 
Check out the scuba portfolios at http://supermodel.com/store

It's very durable and really gives a professional look when presenting images.

Sales drivel from the website a bit pricey at $53.95

The "Scuba" book is the portfolio of choice by leading agencies and top models all over the world. It feels like leather but is much more durable. The cover will never split or crack and easily wipes clean. It comes with 20, 9 � 12 pages good for 40 photographs. There is a horizontal pocket on the back, inside cover for composites and slide holders with permanently fused in pages.

9x12 is a rough size unless your in print showing tearsheets. Its not a standard photographic paper size that photographers print on. Nothing screams more unprofessional then smaller size prints (cause you would have to put 8x10's in) a larger book.

If you plan on working professionally and using your book as a promotional piece then the Pearl Paint portfolio is a joke. If you give me two books one is a leather bound book and the other is a plastic "folder" - which one do I think had more thought into it and that I am going to open first?

This doesn't mean anything about the pictures inside of them - I am not comparing those - just presentation. The leatherbound portfolio can be filled with horrible pictures and the plastic portfolio with amazing pictures. But if I have a limited amount of time and 100 portfolios to look at - I would most likely skip over the plastic one all together. Just some thoughts from a photo editor/photographer.

Jul 26 05 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

piers

London, Arkansas, US

Posted by MojoHamuki: 
9x12 is a rough size unless your in print showing tearsheets. Its not a standard photographic paper size that photographers print on. Nothing screams more unprofessional then smaller size prints (cause you would have to put 8x10's in) a larger book.

There is a standard print size at 12x10, and what is described as a 12x10 book is usually 12.5x9.5 - so it is only a case of triming half an inch off. Not a big deal especially as it means the book fits in a standard bag unlike 11x14.

To confuse matters slightly, we also have A4 - (297mm x 210mm) which is a standard print size - no triming at all for prints but a bit small for full page tears.

Jul 27 05 04:12 am Link

Photographer

Snorkel

New York, New York, US

True i am thinking US sizes.

In the US the standard sizes are 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, 11x14, 16x20 20x24 - etc. Not alot of photographers are printing on 10x12.

Just saying - you might have sizing issues.

How many photographers are printing on 10x12? I dont know of any here in NY and I haven't seen any photographer 10x12 books. I've seen a ton of 10x12 contact sheets though.

I say keep it in the KISS rule - Keep it simple stupid (no pun). Why make life more stressful. Stick with a standard size to where you are working.

I believe the person who asked the question is here in New York(?) Then go 8x10 or 11x14 - no question.

Jul 27 05 08:56 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

9x12 seems standard for model portfolios and 11x14 for photographers.

Jul 27 05 09:00 am Link

Photographer

LaMarco

Berwick, Maine, US

Posted by theda: 
I hear good things about House of Portfolios. I got my book at Pearl Paint in Chinatown, but I didn't get a particularly high quality one.

That is a great place..nice link..

Jul 28 05 11:28 am Link

Model

Charlotte Maria

Southold, New York, US

What are we supposed to do when the photographer gives us the images on a cd-should we get them professionally printed on the acceptable size (9x12?)?
Thanks!

Jul 28 05 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nickels

Phoenix, Arizona, US

The files on the CD will normally have a set size 8 X 10, 8 X 12 , 11X 14 ect. If they gave you a bigger size you can print the samller size(some cropping may happen). Best bet is to decide what size you want to print in and ask the Photographer to give you the files in that size. Tell them before you shoot as it affects how they shoot. They may shoot for 8 X 10 's which are not full frame 8 X 12 is. I would think most photographers would help you out with this but I have been suprised at some of the answers on here so maybe not.

Jul 28 05 11:49 am Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

I got mine at

www.lost-luggage.com

They are expensive (about $400) a book but they are fantastic and well built.

M

Jul 28 05 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Snorkel

New York, New York, US

Posted by markEdwardPhoto: 

They are expensive (about $400) a book but they are fantastic and well built.

M

Wow - I complained about $200 a book. I dont know about models - but photographers usually have about 4-7 books. Sometimes different books for different clients and duplicates so if one is requested and another client has it - you still have one to send out.

Jul 28 05 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey Ross

Naperville, Illinois, US

Good info here-- thanks, y'all.

I'm in the need for a new 'folio book too.  I'll have to dig around on these site tomorrow and see if I can find me a deal.

Jul 29 05 01:38 am Link

Photographer

D U A R T E

Los Angeles, California, US

If your on a budget. Get wax skin on 9 x 12 instead of leather.  One, it's lighter and it fits in a small fed ed box (that's why model agencies use them).  When you have leather the oils in your skin start to accumulate.  When things take off then go 11 x 14 but I like the proportion of a 9 x 12 image instead of 11 x 14.

Sep 01 05 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

http://www.pinazangaro.com/

They make some very classy stuff and you don't see it around as much. I think it stands out more than leather.

artsuppliesonline.com has good prices on them and usually has everything in stock.

Sep 04 05 02:42 am Link

Photographer

Dayvid LeMmon

Phoenix, Arizona, US

i'll second pina zangaro.  their shit is swank.

i have the boro large upper case (discontinued i think), and it always gets compliments before i even open it ;-]

best place to buy: http://store.pzdirect.com/ind_1.html

Sep 05 05 01:06 pm Link