Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Hoping for feedback

Photographer

Pictures by Lisa

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I'm still very new to photography, and I'm looking for feedback.  Honest feedback, even if it's brutal.  It's the only way I'll learn....

Feb 03 10 03:07 am Link

Photographer

Marks Fine Art

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

I think you are headed in the right direction. But the shots you currently have are on the boring side.   Keep shooting and practicing.

Feb 03 10 06:39 am Link

Photographer

E P O N A

Copiague, New York, US

I think you are off to a great start.

Feb 03 10 07:31 am Link

Photographer

Light Writer

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Your port has multiple personality disorder. Perhaps you should have one port for the portrait/couples image, another for the glamor, and the other for the violent. Pick a genre and concentrate on that.

The narrative sequence is a bit obvious, if you want to explore the psychological aspects finding the essential aspects and exploring them with the minimum number of images is something to be considered. At the moment the series looks cliched, you are not giving your viewer enough credit for understanding what you are trying to say. The images in monochrome perhaps need more contrast. looks like you just hit desaturate, rather than balancing the color channels to make the images strong.

If you want to stand out from the crowd, you'll want to make narratives that are not superficial, making the entire narrative fit into one image. If you can convey the entire story into one image, will make your images more powerful.

hope this helps.

Feb 03 10 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Indie Photo

Woodbridge, Virginia, US

i like the diversity.

Feb 03 10 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

Looks like you almost know how to take a picture (don't mean that too cruely; not sure I know how yet).  Now its time to escape the cliches.  Start working out original or at least more creative ideas.

Feb 03 10 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

Pictures by Lisa

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Marks Fine Art wrote:
I think you are headed in the right direction. But the shots you currently have are on the boring side.   Keep shooting and practicing.

Okay.  Now when you say boring, are you referring to my subjects? my lighting? my framing? my angles? something I'm missing all together?

Feb 03 10 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Pictures by Lisa

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Niall Photo wrote:
Your port has multiple personality disorder. Perhaps you should have one port for the portrait/couples image, another for the glamor, and the other for the violent. Pick a genre and concentrate on that.

The narrative sequence is a bit obvious, if you want to explore the psychological aspects finding the essential aspects and exploring them with the minimum number of images is something to be considered. At the moment the series looks cliched, you are not giving your viewer enough credit for understanding what you are trying to say. The images in monochrome perhaps need more contrast. looks like you just hit desaturate, rather than balancing the color channels to make the images strong.

If you want to stand out from the crowd, you'll want to make narratives that are not superficial, making the entire narrative fit into one image. If you can convey the entire story into one image, will make your images more powerful.

hope this helps.

Okay.  Now, as a photographer, do you feel it's better to define my parameters and stick to one theme?  Or is okay to be diverse, as long as the different genres are separated into their own portfolios?  And if the later, would it be worth while to actually have the separate profiles?  Or would separate folders within one profile be sufficient? 

Also, i do want to acknowledge that I agree totally about the monochromes being flat... I did work with them with the camera raw channels, so I am aware that just hitting ctrl-shift-u isn't gonna cut it.  I think my tonal range on the set was just too flat, and flat lighting didn't help, so I will focus on that next time I try a monochrome concept.

Thanks for the feedback about the narrative sequence, you make a good point, and I'll focus on getting it scaled back.

Feb 03 10 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Pictures by Lisa

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Rik Austin wrote:
Looks like you almost know how to take a picture (don't mean that too cruely; not sure I know how yet).  Now its time to escape the cliches.  Start working out original or at least more creative ideas.

Not taken cruely at all, I agree that I'm not there yet... but that's why I'm here, looking for feedback.  I think I'm still in the phase where I'm trying to recreate things I've seen to get acquainted with my camera and my surroundings; but you're right, I need to be original and more creative.

Feb 03 10 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Light Writer

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Pictures by Lisa wrote:

Okay.  Now, as a photographer, do you feel it's better to define my parameters and stick to one theme?  Or is okay to be diverse, as long as the different genres are separated into their own portfolios?  And if the later, would it be worth while to actually have the separate profiles?  Or would separate folders within one profile be sufficient? 

Also, i do want to acknowledge that I agree totally about the monochromes being flat... I did work with them with the camera raw channels, so I am aware that just hitting ctrl-shift-u isn't gonna cut it.  I think my tonal range on the set was just too flat, and flat lighting didn't help, so I will focus on that next time I try a monochrome concept.

Thanks for the feedback about the narrative sequence, you make a good point, and I'll focus on getting it scaled back.

It depends what you want to get out of this site. Albums of different genres will show you know how to divide the work. You need to figure out what you want to shoot, I suspect showing mastery of a style or technique with a single image is ok if it's spectacular. But this is all in the context of MM, so I presume you're trying to network and get feedback so dividing the stuff up makes sense, so physically viewers can click around within a portfolio page, rather than navigating to new profiles.

I would concentrate on one genre at a time, but it's a personal choice, so whatever works best for you.

Feb 03 10 02:23 pm Link

Retoucher

ZARIHS RETOUCHER

Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland

nice start

Feb 03 10 06:04 pm Link

Model

Lucy Dominga

Columbus, Ohio, US

I don't like your Holiday folder...it's a little tacky and cliche for my taste.

This is your weakest in my opinion.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100119/22/4b56a00cded0e_m.jpg
Maybe if it had been done with more experienced models it would be ok, but as it is it looks like a joke. The poses, expressions, and props look completely fake and I don't believe any of it.

Feb 03 10 06:49 pm Link