Forums > Model Colloquy > Photographer release

Photographer

John Edward

Dallas, Texas, US

pullins photography wrote:

John Edward wrote:
edit: wait... that can't be true. Just being at a shoot doesn't mean you can sell images of me. Otherwise, you'd be able to sell prints of people just walking down the street that didn't know you were taking photos of them.

If it's in public, yes you can do that, under certain conditions, depending upon the usage.

depends upon the situation and state

Situation yes, state, no.

If the image was taken in public, and the use is editorial, IE: "Hey, look what happened on Main Street Today." It's legal for any paper in the US to publish it. Having said that, depending on what the photo is of, they may or may not, but the option is there.

Feb 22 10 05:07 am Link

Photographer

John Edward

Dallas, Texas, US

Al Lock Photography wrote:

Did you sell her all rights? Could she have sold a shot to a bridal magazine or a bridal shop for advertising legally?

If you read the above, I sold her a "Usage Release." so no, she could not have sold them for that usage. However, I have sold Full Rights to Images, and priced that release accordingly.

Feb 22 10 05:09 am Link

Photographer

pullins photography

Troy, Michigan, US

John Edward wrote:

pullins photography wrote:

John Edward wrote:
edit: wait... that can't be true. Just being at a shoot doesn't mean you can sell images of me. Otherwise, you'd be able to sell prints of people just walking down the street that didn't know you were taking photos of them.

If it's in public, yes you can do that, under certain conditions, depending upon the usage.

depends upon the situation and state

Situation yes, state, no.

If the image was taken in public, and the use is editorial, IE: "Hey, look what happened on Main Street Today." It's legal for any paper in the US to publish it. Having said that, depending on what the photo is of, they may or may not, but the option is there.

you might want to ask Donald Trump about his experience in Colorado with marla maples before you say that

Feb 22 10 05:17 am Link

Photographer

Coolarrow

San Antonio, Texas, US

This is hysterical. Ask a lawyer. Period. I would. And I am a lawyer. And I personally would ask a lawyer because I am not an intellectual property lawyer.  Its not an expensive process or problem and you establish a relationship with the lawyer. There really is no such thing as a form.

If it important enough do it right. Thats what my dad taught me.

WHO CARES what a photographer thinks or tells you to do. Reading copyright laws might be fun for some photographers but they should stick to taking pictures. It would be as unintelligent as asking a lawyer how to properly take a photograph or to light it. Sure, they can read a book or two and dispense advice like a big shot.....but is it what they do for a living?

Feb 22 10 05:35 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

studio36uk wrote:
Sure... at the right price. Hell, the client can have my first born at the right price. smile

Studio36

I didn't ask if you would. I asked if you had.

That was the answer: "Sure... at the right price."

Studio36

Feb 22 10 05:40 am Link

Photographer

JohnStJohn Photography

Lake Oswego, Oregon, US

GD LEVY wrote:
This is hysterical. Ask a lawyer. Period. I would. And I am a lawyer. And I personally would ask a lawyer because I am not an intellectual property lawyer.  Its not an expensive process or problem and you establish a relationship with the lawyer. There really is no such thing as a form.

If it important enough do it right. Thats what my dad taught me.

WHO CARES what a photographer thinks or tells you to do. Reading copyright laws might be fun for some photographers but they should stick to taking pictures. It would be as unintelligent as asking a lawyer how to properly take a photograph or to light it. Sure, they can read a book or two and dispense advice like a big shot.....but is it what they do for a living?

DAMN STRAIGHT!!!!

Nuff said!!!!! 

... well almost:

I mean Sahweeeeeeet Jesus!!!

Damianne has a simple issue 1 Btween her n a photographer.

End of story.

I pop back to say Hi to the kid n see pages of posts????   

WTF????

I'm not T'n off on any1 in particular, but there R sooooo many forum posts where lots of photographers LOVE2play lawyer, consulting like they're Zeus sittin on Mt Olympus, farting lightning bolts and creating a drama tsunami just 2 hear the sound of their fingers typin wildly away in their Mama's basement...

... Intellectual property/copyrights/trademark/enforcement r NO place 4 amateurs.  Get hooked in21 of these type of issues/litigation???

Ya...

HOLD on TIGHT n get ready to to$$$$$ $50k u're lawyer's way...

in anyplace other than cyberspace on a forum??? like this -- B prepared to Reach in2 u're wallet deep!!! n often.

These R issues that have NO place 4 an armchair Perry MasonwannaB that read an article, once... while on break at his/her job baggin groceries at the local Piggly Wiggly...

Legal advice should not B tossed 'round so casually/thankfully the dribble I read on these forums that passes 4 legal advice doesn't land someone in litigation where the reality is that REAL ducket$$$$ get shoveled 2 prosecute or defend actions...

Damianne asked a wonderful question, the kid's what 19???? broke and lookin ta do EVERYTHING RIGHT!!!! Some of UshouldB frickin ashamed of u'rselves!!!!! 4 transforming a lovely lady's simple question in2 an opportunity 4 self serving pomposity.

B thankfull I'm in a good moooood2day.

n Trust me when I say this: U wouldn't want me 2introduce U2 the realities of intellectual property litigation...

Peace out.

Feb 22 10 05:44 am Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

GD LEVY wrote:

In a way, it is what we do for a living. We survive or don't business-wise on intellectual property issues (as do authors, recording artists, painters, etc.). We are a significant part of the reason that copyright law in the US reads as it does. We even have a professional association that keeps a number of intellectual property lawyers on staff to keep us informed of these issues.

We also had an intellectual property lawyer give advice on here (regarding work for hire). Work for hire normally applies to work done by employees for employers. US Labor Law requires that employers withhold income taxes, withhold and pay Social Security, pay unemployment insurance, etc. Although there is some support for work for hire contracts signed prior to the commencement of a project may be considered work for hire in nine categories, photography is not one of the categories. Case law has been so limited that it is not a sure thing to rely on. If full rights are what someone wants, it's much safer (legally) to purchase full rights.

I'm not a lawyer, my degree is in history... which is really all lawyers historically are... people who look at the history of a law and its interpretation and argue how that applies to their case. Just think, when John Adams practiced law, there was no such thing as a Juris Doctor (or for that matter, when Abraham Lincoln practiced law).

Feb 22 10 06:19 am Link

Photographer

Cain Quixote

Prattville, Alabama, US

Damianne wrote:

I pretty much got the answers I was looking for.

Now I'm just interested in the conversation that has rolled its way out of it, getting educated and what not.

What did you mean by the bolded section?

If someone wanted me to sell the copy right for 1 image i'd prolly do it for 2 grand.  My friend Tim in Austin would sell a copyright on one of his images for no less than 20 grand.

I value my intellectual property different than other people.  There is no standard answer it just is what it is.

Feb 22 10 06:26 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

to the OP, you don't seem to understand "copyright", yet you want to own it...

if you want guaranteed rights to use the images, get an unlimited usage license from the photographer.

every commercial photographer in the real world has one.

Feb 22 10 06:31 am Link

Photographer

Coolarrow

San Antonio, Texas, US

In a way, it is what we do for a living. We survive or don't business-wise on intellectual property issues (as do authors, recording artists, painters, etc.). We are a significant part of the reason that copyright law in the US reads as it does. We even have a professional association that keeps a number of intellectual property lawyers on staff to keep us informed of these issues.

Ok hotshot.  Your reasoning is akin to asking a criminal about criminal law. Or asking a cop about criminal law.

Feb 22 10 06:35 am Link

Photographer

Coolarrow

San Antonio, Texas, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:
to the OP, you don't seem to understand "copyright", yet you want to own it...

if you want guaranteed rights to use the images, get an unlimited usage license from the photographer.

every commercial photographer in the real world has one.

Thats good advice--NOT. If you were going to purchase a house would you ask the seller to prepare the deed or your lawyer?  If you were buying the rights to a book would you use the author's form? Hello..wanna be lawyers. Hire one.

But if its not a big deal then I guess it really doesn't matter. Then again, I don't half ass it.

Feb 22 10 06:40 am Link

Photographer

Coolarrow

San Antonio, Texas, US

JohnStJohn Photography wrote:

DAMN STRAIGHT!!!!

Nuff said!!!!! 

... well almost:

I mean Sahweeeeeeet Jesus!!!

Damianne has a simple issue 1 Btween her n a photographer.

End of story.

I pop back to say Hi to the kid n see pages of posts????   

WTF????

I'm not T'n off on any1 in particular, but there R sooooo many forum posts where lots of photographers LOVE2play lawyer, consulting like they're Zeus sittin on Mt Olympus, farting lightning bolts and creating a drama tsunami just 2 hear the sound of their fingers typin wildly away in their Mama's basement...

... Intellectual property/copyrights/trademark/enforcement r NO place 4 amateurs.  Get hooked in21 of these type of issues/litigation???

Ya...

HOLD on TIGHT n get ready to to$$$$$ $50k u're lawyer's way...

in anyplace other than cyberspace on a forum??? like this -- B prepared to Reach in2 u're wallet deep!!! n often.

These R issues that have NO place 4 an armchair Perry MasonwannaB that read an article, once... while on break at his/her job baggin groceries at the local Piggly Wiggly...

Legal advice should not B tossed 'round so casually/thankfully the dribble I read on these forums that passes 4 legal advice doesn't land someone in litigation where the reality is that REAL ducket$$$$ get shoveled 2 prosecute or defend actions...

Damianne asked a wonderful question, the kid's what 19???? broke and lookin ta do EVERYTHING RIGHT!!!! Some of UshouldB frickin ashamed of u'rselves!!!!! 4 transforming a lovely lady's simple question in2 an opportunity 4 self serving pomposity.

B thankfull I'm in a good moooood2day.

n Trust me when I say this: U wouldn't want me 2introduce U2 the realities of intellectual property litigation...

Peace out.

Nice points. But would be easier to understand if you typed with words instead of like a teenager texting.

Feb 22 10 06:41 am Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

GD LEVY wrote:

Ok hotshot.  Your reasoning is akin to asking a criminal about criminal law. Or asking a cop about criminal law.

Both LEOs and criminals often know the law that applies to them better than some criminal lawyers do. They use it everyday. The lawyer? That depends on how good he actually is and how recently he has researched the applicable laws.

Feb 22 10 06:46 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Doug Swinskey wrote:
to the OP, you don't seem to understand "copyright", yet you want to own it... if you want guaranteed rights to use the images, get an unlimited usage license from the photographer. every commercial photographer in the real world has one.

GD LEVY wrote:
good advice--NOT. If you were going to purchase a house would you ask the seller to prepare the deed or your lawyer?  If you were buying the rights to a book would you use the author's form? Hello..wanna be lawyers. Hire one. But if its not a big deal then I guess it really doesn't matter. Then again, I don't half ass it.

heres the difference between someone that works in the industry and someone that doesn't.

right now my images are licensed for use in several mainstream publications....and i don't get a fucking lawyer every time i license usage to my images. my standard license agreement is fine for 99% of my clients.

EDIT: oh i get it...levy is a fucking lawyer..no wonder he said "go see a lawyer"...

FYI levy, lawyers aren't always needed....

Feb 22 10 06:48 am Link

Photographer

Coolarrow

San Antonio, Texas, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

Doug Swinskey wrote:
to the OP, you don't seem to understand "copyright", yet you want to own it... if you want guaranteed rights to use the images, get an unlimited usage license from the photographer. every commercial photographer in the real world has one.

heres the difference between someone that works in the industry and someone that doesn't.

right now my images are licensed for use in several mainstream publications....and i don't get a fucking lawyer every time i license usage to my images. my standard license agreement is fine for 99% of my clients.

EDIT: oh i get it...levy is a fucking lawyer..no wonder he said "go see a lawyer"...

FYI levy, lawyers aren't always needed....

No need to curse.  You don't get the point. She is not a photographer that has used documents created by lawyers to protect the Commercial photographers rights.  Why are you so stubborn.  I am sure you would dispense medical advice too if you worked in a hospital.

You are not a model.  Your "forms" are not prepared from that point of view. 

You must have had a bad experience with a lawyer. Sorry about that. Yes we are all "fucking lawyers" untill you need real help or you or your family are in real trouble. Then its a different story. You want the best lawyer money can buy. lol.

Feb 22 10 07:03 am Link

Photographer

Coolarrow

San Antonio, Texas, US

Both LEOs and criminals often know the law that applies to them better than some criminal lawyers do. They use it everyday. The lawyer? That depends on how good he actually is and how recently he has researched the applicable laws.

Or it depends on how crooked the cop is or how smart the criminal is.  If you ever get arrested, Maybe that jailhouse lawyer will defend you better than a layer. You are absolutely right. There is a chance that it could happen. Go ahead. Do it. Show us all.

Feb 22 10 07:07 am Link

Photographer

pullins photography

Troy, Michigan, US

GD LEVY wrote:

there are some criminals who know criminal law better than do lawyers
cops have to know the laws they are charged to enforce, therefore they do know some

However, this entire thread is about if anyone has what the OP is looking for, not what we all "think" she should be doing regarding usage terms.  After suggesting she look at copyright law, perhaps she can draft her own agreement to use?

Feb 22 10 07:09 am Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

GD LEVY wrote:
Or it depends on how crooked the cop is or how smart the criminal is.  If you ever get arrested, Maybe that jailhouse lawyer will defend you better than a layer. You are absolutely right. There is a chance that it could happen. Go ahead. Do it. Show us all.

Love the comment about crooked cops. Says it all, doesn't it? I guarantee that I can introduce you to LEOs who understand the laws pertaining to probable cause better than you do. But what do I know? I'm just a photographer that has won three copyright infringement cases.

Feb 22 10 07:11 am Link

Photographer

Jay Lee Studios

San Diego, California, US

Just curious if your boyfriend is a photographer why did you just ask him what type of usage agreement was needed for your use of the photos? Would have saved you having to read all this...

Feb 22 10 07:18 am Link

Photographer

5th Element Photography

Manteca, California, US

GD LEVY wrote:

Nice points. But would be easier to understand if you typed with words instead of like a teenager texting.

lol +1

Its funny how some photographers want to talk about THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of dollars for a copyright agreement, yet thier images arent even worth the paper printed on. lol Just sayin.

Feb 22 10 07:26 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

There is a tendency here for people to mak things more complex than it needs to be.
At the moment the photo is taken the Photographer owns the copyright. Purchase of copyright is very expensive.
You can get a contract spelling everything out. That means you need a lawyer and that is expensive and still does not insure everyone gets what they want. Remember lawyers argue the meaning of "IS"
In its simplist form what the OP needs is a usage agreement that gives the model the rights to use as she needs it. That should be neither expensive nor difficult. Usage forms are in many books on the legal aspects of photography and I believe on the ASMP web site.
Revenue sharing is a can of worms. Unless you are shooting something appropriate for web content most photographers will not make any effort to sell the images unless they are into stock photos. if they are into stock they usually Pay the model because they do not want the paperwork or keeping track of them for 10 or 20 years.
A model approaching a photographer with lots of unusual demands may find that photographer is booked thru 2112.

Feb 22 10 07:40 am Link

Photographer

ADHD

Olympia, Washington, US

Not sure why so many people are up in arms.  The photos are property.  Put a price tag on them and move on.

Feb 22 10 07:42 am Link

Photographer

5th Element Photography

Manteca, California, US

ADHD wrote:
Not sure why so many people are up in arms.  The photos are property.  Put a price tag on them and move on.

eyenorite?

Feb 22 10 07:46 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

GD LEVY wrote:
No need to curse.  You don't get the point. She is not a photographer that has used documents created by lawyers to protect the Commercial photographers rights.  Why are you so stubborn.  I am sure you would dispense medical advice too if you worked in a hospital. You are not a model.  Your "forms" are not prepared from that point of view.

i am a north easterner, its part of my vernacular...

the part you are missing is that the OP doesn't own the images and will need to deal with the person that does...although she thinks she needs to own copyright, she doesn't....plus, most professional photographers aren't going to sign anything a model is going to present them..

my point (that you seemed to think was invalid), was that every commercial photographer on the planet has a license agreement, for the very purpose the OP wants. unlimited usage to the images. she needs to license the images, not buy them...mostly because to buy out images usually costs about 10x more then licensing them.

she doesn't need a lawyer, she needs a pro photographer. she doesn't need a lawyer for legal advice, she needs to understand the industry.

she doesn't need legal advice, she needs professional advice...

Feb 22 10 08:01 am Link

Photographer

Monito -- Alan

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Everything is negotiable.

Distinguish between releases and licenses (thread title is wrong).  Models release their likenesses to other parties -- photographers license their images to other parties.

By default, the photographer owns the photos (the intellectual property inherent therein), except in Canada when the model "commissions" (orders) the photos.  Anywhere, the ownership can be changed instantly by agreement (contract).  When I do photos of models or portraits, I make an agreement that we both sign that (in part) states I own the copyright.

Most photographers are very reluctant to part with ownership of photos, for very good reasons, not the least of which is that they are supremely their creative expression and the culmination of much practice and study and work and investment that has preceded the pictures, even if other professionals and talented people have contributed to the images (model, MUA, stylists).  The photographer is the auteur, the author, the director.

Thus, they will usually expect a pretty penny to sell the copyright.

Models and subjects are most often interested in being able to freely print the photos for display and to have a license to publish them in an online portfolio to promote their career or business.  This should be included in an ordinary license issued by the photographer in exchange for ordinary portrait and portfolio fees or for TFP (TF*) work that is accompanied by a TFP model release.

If the model wants to sell the photos online or prints or relicense them, the model needs to get a much broader license.  Only if the model wants the exclusive right to do that, would the model need to buy the copyright outright.

The flip side is that if the photographer wants to sell prints or license the photos to third parties, she or he needs to obtain a model release from the model, one that goes beyond a limited portfolio release.  Such releases can be general or can be written on a case by case basis and very restricted to individual clients and limited in time and regionality and distribution.  A general model release is usually compensated for by paying modeling fees.

However, everything is negotiable.  A portfolio or portfolio picture has value and photographers sometimes charge for it and models sometimes pay for it.  Sometimes the payment comes in the form of a general model release.

Them that wants "it" more, pays more.  Everything depends on the perceived and relative valuations the model and the photographer place on their respective services.

Everything is negotiable.

Feb 22 10 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Vamp Boudoir

Florence, South Carolina, US

GD LEVY wrote:

That's fckn ridicules..ask a criminal about scams, B&E..but not the law...although there are plenty of criminals who know a heck of a lot about law, even more than their lawyers! What else do you think they do with their hard time?

A great deal of us are Engineers with quite a few attorneys, including an IP or two. Engineers are pretty damn expert at reading law and interpreting..we do it on a daily basis. It's part of our job! Some of us worked DOD/DOE contracts where government documentation is 75% of the damn job. If were are so inept, we would be in jail, fined and could never work at our trade. It's a photographers job to understand and comply with copyright law..it's our business! Some of us just do it better than others..that's why we're still in business.

Feb 22 10 08:09 am Link

Photographer

Coolarrow

San Antonio, Texas, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

i am a north easterner, its part of my vernacular...

the part you are missing is that the OP doesn't own the images and will need to deal with the person that does...although she thinks she needs to own copyright, she doesn't....plus, most professional photographers aren't going to sign anything a model is going to present them..

my point (that you seemed to think was invalid), was that every commercial photographer on the planet has a license agreement, for the very purpose the OP wants. unlimited usage to the images. she needs to license the images, not buy them...mostly because to buy out images usually costs about 10x more then licensing them.

she doesn't need a lawyer, she needs a pro photographer. she doesn't need a lawyer for legal advice, she needs to understand the industry.

Exactly.  When I have a client, say a famous pro athlete, (true story) and they want to hire a photographer, we hire an IP lawyer to negotiate with the photographer or his lawyer. Why, on god's green earth would I want some photographers form. And i NEVER start a negotiation with someone else's document.

Like i wrote (but you did not read) If you want it done correctly, then do it correctly.  I guess if your wife had been divorced 50 times before she married you and you wanted to divorce her, and she said, oh just sign this, I am a pro at getting a divorce, then that would be ok.  After all, he needs professional advice, not legal advice.  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa

Feb 22 10 08:17 am Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

just a little ps about the work for hire issue that kinda sorta illustrates the problem here about people thinking they know what issues are about.  Work for hire involving intellectual property especially copyright happens every day.  what else is a consultant working for a client?  please do not confuse tax issues in a certain circumstance and work backward to get an unknown result.  work for hire outside an employee employer relationship happens all the time.  you just see a `work for hire`boilerplate clause in the contract in some jurisdictions or with some clients working from `an abundance of caution`

listen to the dude who txt LikE a tEenAgUre.    he knows his shit and actually practicies in your country.  this is not rocket surgery.

Feb 22 10 08:20 am Link

Photographer

Coolarrow

San Antonio, Texas, US

Rebel Photo wrote:

That's fckn ridicules..ask a criminal about scams, B&E..but not the law...although there are plenty of criminals who know a heck of a lot about law, even more than their lawyers! What else do you think they do with their hard time?

A great deal of us are Engineers with quite a few attorneys, including an IP or two. Engineers are pretty damn expert at reading law and interpreting..we do it on a daily basis. It's part of our job! Some of us worked DOD/DOE contracts where government documentation is 75% of the damn job. If were are so inept, we would be in jail, fined and could never work at our trade. It's a photographers job to understand and comply with copyright law..it's our business! Some of us just do it better than others..that's why we're still in business.

But its not your job to dispense legal advice to a model who needs advice from HER point of view or perspective.  The problem with your expertise is that it does not train you in how to represent a a person other than your own perspective. It seems easy to the non lawyer. But sometimes its not.

I read  hundreds of examples in here all the time and I do not comment. People are going to have their own beliefs.  Stupid is as stupid does.  If the law was as simple as just reading a statute then I guess we would not have judicial opinions interpreting them.  And then, I guess we would not have other judges and scholars interpreting what those judges wrote. and then there are so many other issues.

Anyone can learn the information. Just like anyone can learn medical information. But when you do it for a living, you can give better advice than the lay person.

There are exceptions to every rule and to every situation.  I am sure an engineer can figure it all out.  But It will take a hell of a lot longer than someone who does it for a living.

Feb 22 10 08:25 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

GD LEVY wrote:
And i NEVER start a negotiation with someone else's document.

and as a pro photographer, neither do i....

Feb 22 10 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Coolarrow

San Antonio, Texas, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

Ok, I give up. You are smarter than all lawyers and they are out to get you.

Feel better?

Feb 22 10 08:29 am Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

W Lawrence Stevens wrote:
What you need to be thinking about is a written agreement which specifically states that the photographer is creating a specially commissioned work under the engagement; the work is being done solely on a "work for hire" basis; to the extent that the work for hire provisions of the copyright act do not apply, the photographer irretrivably transfers any and all rights (including copyright) to the photos to you as the party engaging his services, in perpetuity. 

If you pay, you should own completely.  Follow the above and you will.

Besides a bit of glamour photography, I am also an intellectual property lawyer.  (See, WeinLawGroup.com.)

Cheers!

Steven

Maybe you should find photographers that will do this for a price the OP can afford before you recommend it!

Most pros worth paying will charge WAY too much for work-for-hire.

I'm visiting the Detroit area this weekend. It would be like telling me that to be safe I should travel with 20 bodyguards, a convoy of armored cars, and $50 million in life insurance just in case. Well...uh...sure except my budget doesn't allow it big_smile

Feb 22 10 08:31 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Damianne wrote:

That's why I need a form, because if I'm paying for them, I want complete rights to the photos.

Do you understand that the industry standard for payment for 'all rights' to the photos is usually 8 - 12 times the usual charge for a photo session?

If you think your $500.oo photo session is really worth $6,000.oo, then you should be happy to buy all rights.

But ask yourself this . . . do you really need ALL rights? . . . or just some rights?

What do you really need the photos for . . . and what usage can the photographer have that won't really bother you if the photographer uses them?

KM

Feb 22 10 08:34 am Link

Photographer

Umar

New York, New York, US

As many have suggested about photographers being protective about their work etc. However looking at your portfolio two things come to mind.
Either find someone and pay them bundles of money so they can forego their rights
Or find a dufus who will be happy to shoot.

Frankly I would suggest that you focus on building your portfolio which needs a lot to be desired. Trust me when you get discovered (if you do). All these shots will mean nothing, becasue the folks who want you for the big stuff will have their own people and concepts to shoot.

Hope this helps. Also know my intention was not to be rude but be candid.

Feb 22 10 08:36 am Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Lumigraphics wrote:

Maybe you should find photographers that will do this for a price the OP can afford before you recommend it!

Most pros worth paying will charge WAY too much for work-for-hire.

I'm visiting the Detroit area this weekend. It would be like telling me that to be safe I should travel with 20 bodyguards, a convoy of armored cars, and $50 million in life insurance just in case. Well...uh...sure except my budget doesn't allow it big_smile

times dey R a changin`
everyone is different.  plenty of photographers do work for hire all the time and are happy for the income.   If my name was  Stephen Eastwood and I had an income stream to match I would turn down work for hire.  Since I dont look good in that particular color of sungasses I dont turn down work for hire.  so shoot me for being a traitor to the cause.  id rather make my mortgage payments every month (or close).

Feb 22 10 08:38 am Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

He pretty much hit the nail on the head here. I apologize to all the attorneys that we have on MM for any client fees that you might miss out on, but we just don't need you for this.

Feb 22 10 08:40 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Doug Swinskey wrote:

GD LEVY wrote:
Ok, I give up. You are smarter than all lawyers and they are out to get you. Feel better?

you give up? why don't you just admit you don't know what you a talking about? the industry has worked the way it has, for the past hundred years.

while getting a lawyer to handle situations, you don't fully understand is advice..it's not good practical advice in this instance..

your suggesting to this model that she should hire a lawyer (are you working gratis?), so that she can pay 10x more for image usage then she need to...is it good advice to her? not at all...

but directing her in the right direction, lessens your billable hours..so i know exactly where you are coming from.

Feb 22 10 08:42 am Link

Photographer

BP Glamour

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Feb 22 10 08:43 am Link

Photographer

DG at studio47

East Ridge, Tennessee, US

I have been following this thread since page one. The OP stated that she wanted to find a template for a form that would help her...'have complete rights to the photos'. This comment turned into a discussion of copyright VS usage VS lawyer photographers VS non-lawyer photographers VS....... One point made by several posters was the incredible cost of an individual [model] obtaining total control of images. High dollar. Did anyone read the models profile? She states up front that she is poor and would trade her work for a list of tangible items. Later she states that she is not going to put any money into her modeling. I do 100% TFCD but I have used a model agreement as well as a studio release from day one. My biggest problem is just getting models to read the info I provide before the shoot. I have the model come into the studio and read the documents before they even bring their fashion, etc. in. If there is a problem we negotiate, mark through lines, add comments, both parties initial and date. When everyone is happy, we proceed. I used to email a copy of the model agreement prior to the shoot until I realized that the 'return rate' [my chances of seeing a signed copy of that agreement in the models hands when they arrived] was literally 0%.Even after signing my 'forms', I have had several models crop my logo off, alter images [re-edit], claim themselves as the 'owner' of the image, etc.

can we now discuss guns, escorts, religion, or politics? something less volatile?

Feb 22 10 08:47 am Link

Photographer

Vamp Boudoir

Florence, South Carolina, US

But its not your job to dispense legal advice to a model who needs advice from HER point of view or perspective.  The problem with your expertise is that it does not train you in how to represent a a person other than your own perspective. It seems easy to the non lawyer. But sometimes its not.

I read  hundreds of examples in here all the time and I do not comment. People are going to have their own beliefs.  Stupid is as stupid does.  If the law was as simple as just reading a statute then I guess we would not have judicial opinions interpreting them.  And then, I guess we would not have other judges and scholars interpreting what those judges wrote. and then there are so many other issues.

Anyone can learn the information. Just like anyone can learn medical information. But when you do it for a living, you can give better advice than the lay person.

There are exceptions to every rule and to every situation.  I am sure an engineer can figure it all out.  But It will take a hell of a lot longer than someone who does it for a living.

You are correct that some people spout off shit and don't know shinola. The OP was given good sound professional advice from a few professionals in this field. It doesn't take a savant or legal genus to know what the OP needed. It does take a Professional Photographer who has dealt with IP. I'm also pretty sure a few of us are members of the PPA and/or have dealt with IP.
-(You from Texas? sounds like it.) .....yep..I just checked! You'd pay some one to advise you on a simple matter..and I'd bet you ignore it. Pay another for the same quite basic advice, just because it's not what you want to here. Sorry Charlie.-
No one here (that I saw) was acting on behalf of the OP. They were providing her with basic advice. No law against that and like all advice, some of it is wrong - even Lawers do it. She's free white and over 18, she can do as you do or do as she will.  There's a difference between "advice" and "to advise", though it is a narrow line, some of us are qualified to do either in basic issues of the profession.

It doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to build a rocket. An Engineer can make it go in the right direction. It does however take one to build a manned rocket that won't blow up. (maybe you get my point...maybe not) oh and the Astronaut Farmer was Hollywood, not real life.

Feb 22 10 08:50 am Link