Forums > Critique > Fun and Games > Am I a Photographer, or a GWC?

Photographer

Extremem

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

I have a degree in photography - but would you consider me a GWC?  or an ITGWC. 

I'm at a crossroads in my life.  I need to know.. I've had a few beers tonight so I'm drunk typing and Ill probably wake up in the morning to regret this...

Be honest....

Feb 24 10 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

If you have to ask,.,......

GWC has nothing to do with skill level.  Only intent.

After looking through your portfolio, it sure appears that you are.

Feb 24 10 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

Wolfy4u

Grand Junction, Colorado, US

Whether you're a GWC or a photographer has nothing to do with ability as a photographer. It only has to do with intent. Do you photograph to see naked woman or to make photos?  Only you can answer this question. Many gr8 photographers claim to aspire to be a GWC. I don't really believe them but it's fun to see their proclamations.

Feb 24 10 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Aesthete Studios

Oakland, New Jersey, US

I have decided to edit my post and STFU. Just keep drinking; it'll all be fine.

Feb 24 10 08:33 pm Link

Model

Mika

Miami, Florida, US

Are you shooting just to get girls nekkid? Then yes.
Otherwise, no.

Feb 24 10 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

Los Angeles, California, US

And who decides what the intent was of the photographer?  The viewer!  Intent is always an annoying definition of GWC, since it's the viewer who labels one as such.

Viewing your nude work, it looks as though you are GWC.  May wish to separate your nudes from your other work.

Feb 24 10 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

Colorblinded

Rochester, New York, US

From a photographic standpoint I think you could do some things that would lessen the chance that someone might brand you as a GWC.  Of course, why are you taking the photographs?  Why are you interested in shooting nude women?

The whole term GWC is kind of silly but if we play along with the theme, the viewer will make a judgment about your intentions however that doesn't mean the viewer knows what you were thinking.

Feb 24 10 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

Los Angeles, California, US

GWC: I dunno.

Amateur: yes.

Feb 24 10 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

glofoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Where did you get your degree?

Feb 24 10 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

G Elliott Simpson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

seems to me you've gone to far too much trouble actually trying to create variety, artistic editing, etc. to qualify as a GWC (regardless of whether people think you've succeeded or not you've clearly put alot of work into it). Most GWCs probably have pics that have none of that, since the goal is already achieved when the shoot is done. There's no real need to put more thought into the images for them.

Feb 24 10 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

Myopic Earache

Chicago, Illinois, US

Where is your degree in photography from?

Feb 24 10 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

Extremem

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Myopic Earache wrote:
Where is your degree in photography from?

The University of New Mexico

Feb 25 10 03:48 am Link

Photographer

Extremem

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

- Mikazuki - wrote:
Are you shooting just to get girls nekkid? Then yes.
Otherwise, no.

Naw... Just seems to work out that way.

Feb 25 10 03:50 am Link

Photographer

Extremem

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Tyrone Lavigne wrote:
GWC: I dunno.

Amateur: yes.

ouch.

Feb 25 10 06:42 am Link

Photographer

Greg Easton Photography

Providence, Rhode Island, US

ExtremeMojo Photography wrote:
Be honest....

Half your shots are photoshopped beyond all comprehension.  The other half are poorly lit.  You're either a GWC or you aren't trying very hard to get it right.

Feb 25 10 06:48 am Link

Model

Jenn aka Miss Rayne

Broadmoor, California, US

DO you really need to ask! I see a lot in your port, but nothing that screams GWC! No, you have some really amazing shots, and you do have artistic shots that are beautiful, even nudes. Now, if you were asking this, something must have prompted you to think that. Did someone call you a GWC? Or were you just drunk an in a mood. It happens...but really, the GWCs I have worked with, usually did not produce images that were even half of what you have going on. And they were hitting on me the entire time and I was extremely uncomfortable. Now, if you are doing the same, then stop it! LOL...Don't hit on the models! wink Im sooo teasing you right now cause I think the question really was asked when there should have been a safety button on the computer.... "You have had a few, are you SURE you want to post this???" hehe. Id love to shoot with you, I also read through your profile and you're hysterical...to me...and Id love to get that tattoo shot, but Im pretty far from where youre at. Relax, dont be SOOO critical of yourself, and if you want to do something different, THEN DO that! Get creative, do shots of girls or guys with clothes on, or lingerie (you have some of those) and continue that. Prove to yourself you're no just some idiot pretending to be a photographer! I don't see that in your work. Best to you

Feb 25 10 08:28 am Link

Photographer

Mclain D Swift

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada

Just goes to show formal education isn't the be all end all.  Your work is VERY amateur, but if you like it then, hey, party on.

Feb 25 10 08:33 am Link

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

I'm at a crossroads in my life.  I need to know.. I've had a few beers tonight so I'm drunk typing and Ill probably wake up in the morning to regret this...

Be honest....

What do you think you are?  Our opinion should not matter.

Feb 25 10 08:34 am Link

Photographer

James The Photographer

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

This is sorta like walking into a field, with money on top and land mines on the bottom.  You want to proceed, but you just know...this won't end well.  LOL

But on another note...want to see my Adobe Photoshop before and after?:

http://www.justcalljames.com/Marina-B4-After.jpg

Feb 25 10 08:38 am Link

Photographer

PANHEAD PHOTOGRAPHY

San Francisco, California, US

Be honest....

You have a degree in Photography really? Elvis had a black belt in Karate
but I'm pretty sure I  could take him. Just saying Degree?

Feb 25 10 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Extremem

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Jenn aka Miss Rayne wrote:
DO you really need to ask! I see a lot in your port, but nothing that screams GWC! No, you have some really amazing shots, and you do have artistic shots that are beautiful, even nudes. Now, if you were asking this, something must have prompted you to think that. Did someone call you a GWC? Or were you just drunk an in a mood. It happens...but really, the GWCs I have worked with, usually did not produce images that were even half of what you have going on. And they were hitting on me the entire time and I was extremely uncomfortable. Now, if you are doing the same, then stop it! LOL...Don't hit on the models! wink Im sooo teasing you right now cause I think the question really was asked when there should have been a safety button on the computer.... "You have had a few, are you SURE you want to post this???" hehe. Id love to shoot with you, I also read through your profile and you're hysterical...to me...and Id love to get that tattoo shot, but Im pretty far from where youre at. Relax, dont be SOOO critical of yourself, and if you want to do something different, THEN DO that! Get creative, do shots of girls or guys with clothes on, or lingerie (you have some of those) and continue that. Prove to yourself you're no just some idiot pretending to be a photographer! I don't see that in your work. Best to you

Gee thanks a lot, yes a safety button would be a good idea, I'm really a lightweight when it comes to drinking and I got some bad news, which seems to have worked itself out... no only the few on this string called me a GWC, and I guess that they have a right to their opinion.

Lesson learned (last time I did this I ended up in the forum naughty boy chair for a week).  Someone as immature as I shouldn't drink and certainly shouldn't go in the forums after doing so.  So for all of you who commented thanks - Especially those who messaged me with suggestions on technical improvements.

Miss Ryne you are the best.

Feb 25 10 08:41 am Link

Photographer

PANHEAD PHOTOGRAPHY

San Francisco, California, US

PANHEAD PHOTOGRAPHY  wrote:

You have a degree in Photography really? Elvis had a black belt in Karate
but I'm pretty sure I  could take him. Just saying Degree?

OH sorry to answer your question (you blow) Hard.  GWC is an over statement 
No offense just saying

Feb 25 10 08:42 am Link

Photographer

The Art of Churchwell

QUEENS VILLAGE, New York, US

I am a guy with a cell phone camera and a magnum flashlight and lots of plug-ins

Feb 25 10 08:42 am Link

Photographer

Extremem

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Jerry Coleman  wrote:

What do you think you are?  Our opinion should not matter.

It really doesn't, but I like honest feedback, and I'm getting some really good nuggets here.  However, this morning I had no idea what I had stepped in.

Feb 25 10 08:47 am Link

Photographer

Extremem

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

PANHEAD PHOTOGRAPHY  wrote:
OH sorry to answer your question (you blow) Hard.  GWC is an over statement 
No offense just saying

Yeah right, I know Elvis personally, he'd throw a beatin' on you skinny ass.

Feb 25 10 08:49 am Link

Photographer

James The Photographer

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

The Art of Churchwell wrote:
I am a guy with a cell phone camera and a magnum flashlight and lots of plug-ins

Okay...you said it...we did not.  LOL  I would say you're 30% photographer and 70% photoshop person.  But don't get mad at me, you opened this can of worms!  LOL  scary! 

Feb 25 10 08:49 am Link

Photographer

R80

Marceline, Missouri, US

There's a lot of GWCs that capture good images and there are many photographers that shoot a lot of shit.

Your profession is determined by what you take in from it.  If you make over half of your income as a photographer, then you is one.

As to photoshopped images, so what?  PS is merely another implement of the trade.  If you take great images and photoshop the hell out of them, it's not necessarily detracting from photography as a medium, it's the way that you do it, your style of the moment.  I get sick of people complaining that overly photoshopped images aren't photography, the same as I get sick of people that claim only B&W is representative of the artform. 

I haven't looked at your port yet.  I'll go there next.  But I didn't want my answer to be influenced by what you present.  Seems some thought you needed work as well as questioned your ability and degree.  There's a lot to be said about practice.
I know there are many on here that don't like to see people that have been at this for long times, but then, do you really expect to be topnotch coming right out of the gate?  You'll catch on.

Feb 25 10 09:00 am Link

Photographer

Extremem

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

James The Photographer wrote:

Okay...you said it...we did not.  LOL  I would say you're 30% photographer and 70% photoshop person.  But don't get mad at me, you opened this can of worms!  LOL  scary! 

Feb 25 10 09:07 am Link

Photographer

Mike Adams Photos

Cleveland, Ohio, US

GWC, yes, screaming.

Maybe check out some post production videos on YouTube.  It seems as if you over-Ps the shots (or fantasize them) to try to make up for not getting the shot.

We all started somewhere though.  It's a process.  Keep at it.

More model shots on Flickr

Feb 25 10 09:16 am Link

Model

not on MM anymore 2010

gwc

Feb 25 10 09:21 am Link

Photographer

James Phelps

Baltimore, Maryland, US

just starting out .. i guess... i dunno my photos bounce between "art" and "gwc" but i like to blame the model some too*LOL*

Feb 25 10 10:38 am Link