Forums > Photography Talk > Photoshop CS2 is AWESOME!!

Photographer

Michael Bell

Anaheim, California, US

Is anyone else using this? Man, I can't wait to shoot some photos with my new camera and fully use this. Anyone wondering if its worth it, believe me, it is! Its more than a mere update. My favorites are the new Smart Sharpen feature which far outdoes the Unsharp Mask, its unbelievable the kind of control you get with this. Also, the feature that lets you fix barrel distortion on wide angle or tele shots that have even the slightest is amazing. The new filters are awesome and many older ones are improved, I think every digital photographer should have CS2. What are your thoughts on it?

Jul 22 05 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I've been told that the only major difference is the *BRIDGE* I would be interested in seeing the same image processed in both CS and CS2, so illustrate the difference.

Thanks

Jul 22 05 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bell

Anaheim, California, US

Posted by EMG STUDIOS: 
I've been told that the only major difference is the *BRIDGE* I would be interested in seeing the same image processed in both CS and CS2, so illustrate the difference.

Thanks

Well, I went from PS 7 up to CS2. One of the current photo mags has a special on CS2 and they discuss the big advances over CS which is why I got it. Maybe it seems so huge because its a giant leap over 7, but I have heard other CS users mention CS2 is a nice upgrade.

Jul 22 05 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I have Photoshop CS even though I don't shoot digital. I use is sparingly mostly in trying to control contrast. I also have installed Painshop Pro 8 which alos has that barrell and pincushion distortion removal tool. What I would like to know since you guys are the Photoshop experts is if there is some similar tool (filters?) that tweaks my slides as in Pam in Nora's Sofa in my port. I can not place it here because of the nude regulation. It has two tweaks(two pressings) of Paintshop Pro's called One Stop Photo Fix. It sort of posterizes the image (with care it can almost not be noticed). When I have these printed as 11x14 giclées on watercolour paper some people think I am a realist painter. I have been selling them very well.

Jul 22 05 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Upgraded from 7.2 to CS..thank Dog i left 7.2 on CS sucks over the last year tried it a couple times....
Now CS2 Is the Shite!!!!

I like the ability to work on Raw images,Just open right up...
Its got alot of new things to many to talk about..
Wait Smart Sharpen I have givin up all my other sharpinig tools its that good!!

Photoshop CS2 i give it a (:---------  9

Jul 22 05 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

For film shooters it has all the color filters (:------

Jul 22 05 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

If it wasn't for camera RAW and 12 bit image support, I would be happy with version 6 myself.

Jul 22 05 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

C Hansen Photography

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

Thanks for the Smart Sharpen tip.  I have CS2 but hadn't found that.  I'm going digging when I get home tonight.

Jul 22 05 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Smart sharpen isn't all that it's cracked up to be. I find I do better with unsharp mask on a new layer and either fading it, or creating a layer mask down to the original layer.

CS2's RAW processing makes the upgrade a no-brainer, and it's auto functions for the four important RAW settings is a huge time-saver when making comp galleries. Don't use them for finals, of course, but now you need not level before making a comp gallery for lighttable or model-approval use.

I've been a PS user since version 2 :-)

Jul 22 05 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Version 6 is full of memory problems 6.2 fixes that !!!
What you been smokin!!
Need any tips just Ask (:-----

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
If it wasn't for camera RAW and 12 bit image support, I would be happy with version 6 myself.

Jul 22 05 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Hugh  Jorgen: 
What you been smokin!!

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

LOL On the Mac it runs fine though.

Jul 22 05 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by Hugh  Jorgen: 
What you been smokin!!

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Mac Who?

Oh That Guy  (:----

Jul 22 05 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Hugh  Jorgen: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by Hugh  Jorgen: 
What you been smokin!!

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Mac Who?

Oh That Guy  (:----

Did you see his new shots with lizbetbathory?

Jul 22 05 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

No i Havent ill guess ill search it out  (:----

Jul 22 05 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I still think Capture is the best for editing my Nikon NEF files. I save as .tiff then work on it in CS. I like CS I'm not sure I need to upgrade just yet. I'm not sure there are enough improvements to warrent it.

Jul 22 05 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Posted by EMG STUDIOS: 
I still think Capture is the best for editing my Nikon NEF files. I save as .tiff then work on it in CS. I like CS I'm not sure I need to upgrade just yet. I'm not sure there are enough improvements to warrent it.

Adobe RAW 3.x produces far better quality finals than NC, in my opinion. And the workflow benefits of using it through Bridge is beyond price.

But that's me.

Jul 22 05 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Posted by MichaelBell: 
Is anyone else using this? Man, I can't wait to shoot some photos with my new camera and fully use this. Anyone wondering if its worth it, believe me, it is! Its more than a mere update. My favorites are the new Smart Sharpen feature which far outdoes the Unsharp Mask, its unbelievable the kind of control you get with this. Also, the feature that lets you fix barrel distortion on wide angle or tele shots that have even the slightest is amazing. The new filters are awesome and many older ones are improved, I think every digital photographer should have CS2. What are your thoughts on it?

Since I'm not pro, and on a budget, I'm using RawShooter | essentials and PS 7.
I just started shooting RAW (again) last week and will not go back.
The images I shoot are crude and mostly from the camera with very little editing at all.
I like the image to look as close to what the model looked like and not a anime or cartoon.

When I can afford CS2, I'll buy it, I know thats what to use, and have seen one tool in CS that I want (patch, I think is the term).

Craig

Jul 22 05 06:20 pm Link