Forums > Critique > newbie to this and i'd really like some feedback. thanks!

Model

Bekah

Dallas, Texas, US

So I just did like my 2nd and 3rd shoots ever this past weekend and I'd like to hear some opinions, advice, etc.  I'm trying to continue to improve, so anything you've got to say? I'd love to hear it.

Jul 22 05 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

J Andrescavage Photo

San Francisco, California, US

Bekah, I think you LOOK lovely in your shots.  You certainly have a great look and you're in the right business!  If I can make a critique here (since you asked for it!) and not post something negative as a comment on your page:
In many of your shots, you really don't look like you've got any kind of connection to the photographer.  I think successful model shots look spontaneous regardless of how "posed" they are.  I see quite a few of your that are- regardless of how pretty you are, mind you- quite obviously posed and are slightly awkward as a result.  I think your job as a model is to find either a connection to the photographer's lens or some sort of "moment" to be in.  I don't think it's necessarily the photographer's job to be able to drag that out of you.  It's your job to be engagingly beautiful and it's the photog's job to capture that moment.
Think of it as a crappy actor pawning off their responsibility on the director by asking, *shudder* "What's my motivation...?"
YOUR PAKCHECK!!!
So yeah, the really successful models are going to earn their paycheck by giving their photographers plenty of engaging moments to capture.  Hope this helps.

Jul 22 05 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I agree. You need to look more like a beautiful person caught in the moment than a model posing for a camera.

At your hight, fashion is right out, so you may need to focus on lifestyle images.

This critique applies to just about everyone with an online portfolio by the way. Take a look at some agency comp cards at your local agency to see the look you should be going for.

Jul 22 05 06:40 pm Link

Model

Bekah

Dallas, Texas, US

Thanks guys. I see what you mean. Note taken.

Jul 22 05 06:46 pm Link

Model

Bekah

Dallas, Texas, US

Anything else?

Jul 24 05 10:25 am Link

Photographer

UnivModels

Long Beach, California, US

Portfolio is fine, as for acting leads/jobs try Craigslist.com, and obviously community theatre

Jul 26 05 09:03 pm Link