Forums > Newbie Forum > difference between tf* and an unpaid test?

Photographer

Jesus CM

Boston, Massachusetts, US

hi.

i have done a search for this but came up with nothing.  what is the difference between tf* work and an unpaid test?

thanks,

j

Mar 06 10 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

BQUINN

Rockford, Illinois, US

When I have a set set up for a shoot, I would  often put a test model in before the real model gets there to test the shot. Thats a test, which was more important pre digital era

Mar 06 10 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

LMS Studio

Brooklyn, New York, US

For me a test is usually me testing  out a new piece of equipment or lighting technique.
Most of the time I'm really just testing the model to see if she shows up on time, comes prepared and can hold a pose.

Or I'm testing the MUA or Hairstyles to see how we work together and if they can give me what I'm looking for and to get a feel of what they're after.

TF* is more of planed out shoot with people who you know will be there and do their part even if it is only for trade.

I've found that test work best for me.... It's a good way to filter out people who are full of shit..... (real talk).

Game.

"When you first come in the game, they try to play you. Then you drop a couple of hits, look how they wave to you"  ~ Jay Z

Mar 06 10 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

San Diego, California, US

Its just a game wrote:
For me a test is usually me testing  out a new piece of equipment or lighting technique.
Most of the time I'm really just testing the model to see if she shows up on time, comes prepared and can hold a pose.

Or I'm testing the MUA or Hairstyles to see how we work together and if they can give me what I'm looking for and to get a feel of what they're after.

TF* is more of planed out shoot with people who you know will be there and do their part even if it is only for trade.

I've found that test work best for me.... It's a good way to filter out people who are full of shit..... (real talk).

pretty good here. i'll add...

test= its more about learning something, trail and errors. i will not guarantee shoots will develop the way i intended. its more about the photographers testing out a specific aspect of photography. more selfish (kinda)

TF=  more collaborative. more for portfolio. working with models with a mutual understanding that we're both taking something away.

Mar 06 10 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

San Francisco, California, US

Post hidden on Mar 06, 2010 04:23 pm
Reason: violates rules
Comments:

Mar 06 10 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

When playing in the 'internet world', just use the term TF* because otherwise very few models will know what you are talking about.

A test is typically any shoot that is done for the resulting portfolio images, rather then shot for a client. 'Testing' is what you will hear it called anywhere in the land-based world.

Mar 06 10 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Bryson Photography

Hollywood, Florida, US

fjcm wrote:
what is the difference between tf* work and an unpaid test?

Terminology

Mar 06 10 04:16 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Quela Renee

Tehachapi, California, US

Tf is used in the internet modeling/photography world.

Test is a industry term, which can be unpaid test which is buuilding portfolio for trade or paid test which is when the agency is paying a team or photographer to build their models portfolio.

Mar 06 10 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

here's what it means in the fashion world:
http://shatterkiss.blogspot.com/2010/01/what-is.html

Mar 06 10 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

an unpaid test is where i dont get paid to work with an agency model..i may have some look i want for my book, so ill contact my local agencies to see if the have models that need time in front of a lens...

it has very little to do with testing my equipment and everything to do with testing the model

Mar 06 10 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Photos By Neef Fresh

New York, New York, US

paid and unpaid.
that's the difference smile

other than that, the amount of effort
put into the shoot whether its paid or not
should NOT make a difference.

i give 100% in all that i do.

i find it easier to control a tf shoot
over my paid work, because my paid
work, alot of people tend to try and
take the element of ''neef fresh'' away
which leaves the photos looking like... BLAH.

as to a tf shoot,
the model is 100% willing to do whatever i suggest,
as long as the images are beneficial to both of us.
and it always is ;o)

Mar 06 10 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

c_d_s

Lubbock, Texas, US

If you are referring to the terms being used in MM casting calls, a lot of us are wondering the same thing.

Scanning a few pages of "casting calls - unpaid test" turns up the following:

A few that are actually TF*.

A couple offering to pay.

Some asking for pay.

A LOT spamming for fashion shows, especially somebody else's fashion show.

Pay to be in somebody else's fashion show.

Pay to be shot in a motel room.

Work on my movie for free.

Be in somebody else's music video for free.

Be in somebody else's TV commercial for free.

Be on somebody else's website for free.

Be in a magazine for free.

Volunteers needed for charity event.

Event spam, especially somebody else's event.

Nightclub spam.

Agency spam.

Pageant spam.

Singers wanted, apparently for free.

Lots of "Join my team!"

Post nude for me for free.

Magazine accepting submissions.

Take pictures at a club for my birthday party. Maybe you'll meet someone who wants to hire you.

Mar 06 10 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

c_d_s wrote:
Pay to be in somebody else's fashion show.

Pay to be shot in a motel room.

I especially liked these two.  I  think they will be entered into my dictionary for future use.  My keyboard, monitor and morning coffee were not amused sad

Mar 07 10 07:19 am Link

Photographer

Jesus CM

Boston, Massachusetts, US

yeah, i was mostly referring to how mm seems to distinguish between them in the casting calls since i had always understood that "tf*" was internet parlance for "unpaid test."

thanks for the responses.

Mar 07 10 02:32 pm Link