Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > Yet another Thread about Skin :D

Retoucher

Sebastian Reuter

Frankfurt, Hassia, Germany

Hey Folks, I was wondering if you might give me some critique on what i should improve or take better care of on coming retouches.

no need to hold back wink i am fine with harsh critique.

before:

https://img57.imageshack.us/img57/4065/skin2.th.jpg

and after

https://img535.imageshack.us/img535/2106/skin1.th.jpg

Mar 10 10 10:51 am Link

Retoucher

J Strath

Los Angeles, California, US

It looks great!  How are you getting such an even texture and in places where there wasn't much texture?  Tell meeee!  XD

Mar 10 10 12:56 pm Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

One of the first things that stood out to me was that although it looks like you spent time on the entire image the area of her hand inbetween the bracelets looks like no work was put into it... which would be fine except that the rest of the image looks like a lot of work was put into it.

I hate the arm above the head for two reasons... One it looks to thick and two it doesn't have the same amount of work as the face. The same can be said about the neck it doesn't look like as much attention was given to it.

I think the eybrows ad lashes also could use more work. For my own personal taste, I'd work on softening up the bottow eye creases some. I also think the skin tone could use some work... at the smaller magnifications the patchiness stands out some.

Mar 10 10 01:46 pm Link

Retoucher

J Strath

Los Angeles, California, US

hmm  I don't mind the eye creases at all.  MAYBE just the top most crease on her left eye, but that's it.  I think it makes the image keep some of it's natural appearance rather than being too edited.  I don't mind the neck either, though I think some of those hairs should be cleaned up.  Not erased completely, just cleaned up a little like the hairs on the side of her face.  Those turned out really well; I think a similar treatment would work for the neck too.  I guess it's all a matter of taste. 

I do agree about the arm though.  It could use some more work.  It's already pretty distracting the way it's just clunked on her head. XD  So since it gets so much attention, it's pretty noticeable if it's not cohesive with the rest of the picture.

Again....I LOVE THE TEXTURE!  ^___^ Any tips on how to do skin?

Mar 10 10 02:38 pm Link

Retoucher

Sebastian Reuter

HuggleMistress wrote:
It looks great!  How are you getting such an even texture and in places where there wasn't much texture?  Tell meeee!  XD

i copied the texture from other areas of here face where it was more intact wink

btdsgn wrote:
One of the first things that stood out to me was that although it looks like you spent time on the entire image the area of her hand inbetween the bracelets looks like no work was put into it... which would be fine except that the rest of the image looks like a lot of work was put into it.

I hate the arm above the head for two reasons... One it looks to thick and two it doesn't have the same amount of work as the face. The same can be said about the neck it doesn't look like as much attention was given to it.

I think the eybrows ad lashes also could use more work. For my own personal taste, I'd work on softening up the bottow eye creases some. I also think the skin tone could use some work... at the smaller magnifications the patchiness stands out some.

thanks a lot for the effort. highly appreciated. i did not notice myself that i actually neglegted pther areas too much giving it a closer look i can see what you pointed out.

on the arm i actually now find it amazing that i did not realize myself that its quite tick thats like ... wow big_smile while on the neck i am not so sure as what to improve much ,since it did look quite fine to me. could you point out some parts where more editing would have been needed?

the skin tone is for my website  already corrected, just noticed after i merged the image for MM and was too lazy to redo the MM version. there were still some too saturated parts and it was overall too saturated for my taste. (i still need to get a better monitor, since i am not so sure if mine is really doing a good job despite calibration).

thanks again lots of usefull hints smile

Mar 10 10 02:41 pm Link

Retoucher

Sebastian Reuter

HuggleMistress wrote:
hmm  I don't mind the eye creases at all.  MAYBE just the top most crease on her left eye, but that's it.  I think it makes the image keep some of it's natural appearance rather than being too edited.  I don't mind the neck either, though I think some of those hairs should be cleaned up.  Not erased completely, just cleaned up a little like the hairs on the side of her face.  Those turned out really well; I think a similar treatment would work for the neck too.  I guess it's all a matter of taste. 

I do agree about the arm though.  It could use some more work.  It's already pretty distracting the way it's just clunked on her head. XD  So since it gets so much attention, it's pretty noticeable if it's not cohesive with the rest of the picture.

Again....I LOVE THE TEXTURE!  ^___^ Any tips on how to do skin?

didnt see your new post before answering. if you have skype and dont mind to wait a bit i could just share my desktop with you while i am doing the recovering of the texture. (great feature, guess one of the only reasons i use skype).
the short and written version would be like in my previous post, i do copy the texture out of parts on the face with similar texture. (for examply i would fill texture on her forehead with other parts from the forehead).

the hair on the neck is another thing that could use some work i agree. thanks for the adivce wink

Mar 10 10 02:45 pm Link

Retoucher

Solstice Retouch

New York, New York, US

What monitor are you using? Overall, and at first glance, you did fantastic. The only critique I have is on the skin tone itself on the cheek, there are many shades that need to be fixed. Some areas are over saturated and some are desaturated. It's blotchy but an easy fix smile The same problem is present in the arms.

Another note, you neglected the whites of the eyes, even out the tone and flaws.

Great work! About the eye crease debate, I don't mind them, I would potentially just remove the top crease, it will be aesthetically more balanced and still natural.

Mar 10 10 06:18 pm Link

Retoucher

Sebastian Reuter

Solstice Retouch wrote:
What monitor are you using? Overall, and at first glance, you did fantastic. The only critique I have is on the skin tone itself on the cheek, there are many shades that need to be fixed. Some areas are over saturated and some are desaturated. It's blotchy but an easy fix smile The same problem is present in the arms.

Another note, you neglected the whites of the eyes, even out the tone and flaws.

Great work! About the eye crease debate, I don't mind them, I would potentially just remove the top crease, it will be aesthetically more balanced and still natural.

thanks a lot wink

i am using a hp w2207h. nothing fancy but as long as i am still a student i doubt that i will be able to afford something more decent. i am not doing retouching for a long so i usually was fine with the colorrange did get, it did suffice for the printwork i had do. can you give me hint on evening out the saturated and desaturated areas? do i try to mask this that back in with adjustment layers? i am a little clueless on this one.

Mar 10 10 07:11 pm Link

Retoucher

Solstice Retouch

New York, New York, US

Mourn wrote:

thanks a lot wink

i am using a hp w2207h. nothing fancy but as long as i am still a student i doubt that i will be able to afford something more decent. i am not doing retouching for a long so i usually was fine with the colorrange did get, it did suffice for the printwork i had do. can you give me hint on evening out the saturated and desaturated areas? do i try to mask this that back in with adjustment layers? i am a little clueless on this one.

Excellent!

Have you tried gradient map for skin tone? It's minor and should correct it right up

Mar 10 10 11:16 pm Link

Retoucher

Sebastian Reuter

Solstice Retouch wrote:

Excellent!

Have you tried gradient map for skin tone? It's minor and should correct it right up

in what way would i use one ? tongue sorry i am a lost cause on this one, still lack a lot of the basics.

Mar 10 10 11:35 pm Link

Retoucher

Solstice Retouch

New York, New York, US

Mourn wrote:

in what way would i use one ? tongue sorry i am a lost cause on this one, still lack a lot of the basics.

No problem!

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=519134

Go to where I begin writing, it should explain it in detail.

Enjoy!

Mar 11 10 06:39 pm Link