Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > YEY my first official MM Retouch!

Retoucher

Versiontwo Fine Art

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I made quite a few variations but the one featured in this image is my favorite.

https://i40.tinypic.com/15quu1g.jpg

Mar 12 10 05:23 am Link

Retoucher

Sebastian Reuter

Frankfurt, Hassia, Germany

There are a few things that catch my eye first.
you did a nice cutout, but when replacing the background you did not pay much attention to the light. the light on the model comes from the left, casting shadow on his left arm and the left side of his face, while the background lightsource would be somewhere directly behind the model. which could be possible, but given that there is no light affecting the model from behins, which makes it looks off to me. another problem with light and shadow is on his left side. there should be some shadow coming from his left arm. right now it looks like a flat surface.

you did a nice job on bringing the detail back into the hair and the skin cleaning is executed well too, but you could erase the color blotchiness on his cheek.

on a last note, did you narrow his head?

Mar 12 10 06:47 am Link

Retoucher

Versiontwo Fine Art

Oh sorry the background wasnt meant to match the light very much. I sorta did that to make it a little more dramatic to the eye which is a kind of my thing. I agree about the sleeve tho im gonna burn that a bit. And no I didnt touch his head at all.

Mar 12 10 08:07 am Link

Photographer

MisterC

Portland, Oregon, US

Mostly looks great.

Mar 12 10 01:35 pm Link

Retoucher

Versiontwo Fine Art

Mostly Thanks!

Mar 12 10 08:32 pm Link

Retoucher

Ashish Arora

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Except some shadows there as the OP mentioned above, it looks beautiful to me. Wonderful start. Way to go smile

Mar 12 10 08:57 pm Link

Retoucher

Versiontwo Fine Art

Thanks a lot you guys are great!

Mar 13 10 01:13 am Link

Retoucher

Bloom_reflection

Plovdiv, Plovdiv, Bulgaria

good start keep up and if you want some critique the shirt is overexposed for my taste you lose some details on it

Mar 17 10 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

RA - Images

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

great job, lets just say I,ve definately seen worse. Keep it up.

HAve a look at this guys work for inspiration.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/289928

Cheers

Mar 17 10 03:34 pm Link