Forums > Photography Talk > Screen Display -- Best laptop for Photoshop

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

Is it realistic to think that serious Photoshop work can be done on a laptop?  Which laptops have the most accurate displays and which ones can be calibrated?  A buddy of mine recently purchased an HP dv1000 that he swears by.  What's your experience?

Jul 23 05 10:57 am Link

Photographer

StratMan

Detroit, Michigan, US

I've been using an iBook for the past few months, while the screen size is small, it's perfect for taking on location, and goes right in my backpack or  soft briefcase easily & doesn't weigh a ton.

The display can't be manually calibrated, but the colors seem to be pretty true to form. But I wouldn't swear by it for true color rendition. It works for me, for now.

Strat

Jul 23 05 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Posted by StratMan: 
I've been using an iBook for the past few months, while the screen size is small, it's perfect for taking on location, and goes right in my backpack or  soft briefcase easily & doesn't weigh a ton.

The display can't be manually calibrated, but the colors seem to be pretty true to form. But I wouldn't swear by it for true color rendition. It works for me, for now.

Strat

Thanks, but I'm not ready to convert to Mac.

Jul 23 05 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

I could be wrong but I have not seen any laptops that have the controls that a regular monitor have. This is the difference when it comes to calibrating because you can be asked to do more then just adjust brightness or contrast. But, I know a ton of people who use photoshop on thier laptops, me included but not exclusively. There are alot of factors involved in getting color right and it has alot to do with your working knowledge of the tools you have to work with. For instance, color can be adjusted totally through numbers or in black and white using photoshop. Or, you can soft-proof using ICM's with photoshop as well. If you're using PMS or CMYK colors then your calibration doesn't matter because it's all numbers.

Jul 23 05 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Posted by Fred Brown: 
I could be wrong but I have not seen any laptops that have the controls that a regular monitor have. This is the difference when it comes to calibrating because you can be asked to do more then just adjust brightness or contrast. But, I know a ton of people who use photoshop on thier laptops, me included but not exclusively. There are alot of factors involved in getting color right and it has alot to do with your working knowledge of the tools you have to work with. For instance, color can be adjusted totally through numbers or in black and white using photoshop. Or, you can soft-proof using ICM's with photoshop as well. If you're using PMS or CMYK colors then your calibration doesn't matter because it's all numbers.

I understand, but I wouldn't be doing it by numbers.  I don't know enough about laptops to know if any have displays that can be calibrated.  Basically, I'm just looking for a laptop display that will give the best color display to the naked eye, although I'd prefer calibration capability .  What are you using?

Jul 23 05 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

I wont even try to work on my photos untill i get to a CRT monitor..
Forget those flat Panels....Now that i think about it flat Panels look like a paint by number Joke!!

But thats just my point of view....

Ducks the throwen rocks!!!

(:----

Jul 23 05 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Posted by Hugh  Jorgen: 
I wont even try to work on my photos untill i get to a CRT monitor..
Forget those flat screens....Now that i think about it flat screens look like a paint by number Joke!!

But thats just my point of view....

Ducks the throwen rocks!!!

(:----

I've heard that CRT's are better, but I'm aware that many Photoshop masters are using flat screens.  I'm currently using a $150 Samsung CRT which has been calibrated.

Jul 23 05 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Hmmmm...Master's using flat Panels??

Jul 23 05 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Had me goin there Herb!!!
The correct term is Panel....
A flat Screen is a CRT with a flat face!!

(:-----

Jul 23 05 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Posted by Hugh  Jorgen: 
Had me goin there Herb!!!
The correct term is Panel....
A flat Screen is a CRT with a flat face!!

(:-----

I stand corrected, but I still haven't received even one make and model recommendation.

Jul 23 05 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Well, I carry a laptop around to down load full cards onto and when I look at the pictures on the screen they look a lot like the pictures I took, at least from the little display on the back of the camera. So if the camera display is right and the laptop looks like the camera, then I guess it all seems to be showing  the same thing. But sometimes the laptop and the camera don't look the same. I mean the things in the camera are the same, nothing changes there, at least I don't think it has, but I'm talking about the color and stuff like that. But one other thing you need to think about is where you are using the laptop. The sun will change how it looks if its bright out and if you are using those tube lights, well they change things as well. What I hate is when models look at the pictures on the laptop and don't like them and when I tell them they will look different on their computer at home they don't agree, they think the laptop is really the right way since it just came out of the camera or something.
I hope this helps a lot, because I really don't know anything about it since I use disposable cameras most of the time to get a really cool look, sort of that throwaway look.

Umm, what was your question?

Jul 23 05 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Still looking for those specific make and model recommendations based on what working photogrpahers are actually using.

Jul 23 05 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

dell inspiron 8600, is what i use, rarely creates an image not ready to print, and i swap em between my laptop & my online comp i order online prints from every day, works for me,  not saying its the best but its a kickass unit for photoshop, hp, or kodak photo programs.

Jul 23 05 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Posted by Doug Mackay    DMP: 
dell inspiron 8600, is what i use, rarely creates an image not ready to print, and i swap em between my laptop & my online comp i order online prints from every day, works for me,  not saying its the best but its a kickass unit for photoshop, hp, or kodak photo programs.

Thanks, Doug, for being specific.

Jul 23 05 06:43 pm Link