Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > Is this a Fake image or not?

Retoucher

Redline Studios Retouch

Saint George, Utah, US

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) - There have been a number of questions surrounding a picture of Susan Powell and her family since it first surfaced on an anonymous website earlier this month. Among those questions, is it legitimate?

The picture on www.susanpowell.org shows Susan, Josh and their two boys posing in front of a large fire. Their campground is covered in snow and it is night.

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top%20 … dJ8sw.cspx

Mar 16 10 08:40 am Link

Model

Sultan Blackwell In LA

Venice, California, US

Real

Mar 16 10 08:45 am Link

Photographer

Leroy Dickson

Flint, Michigan, US

Sure looks fake to me. Using a popup flash, I'd expect the flame to not be so bright, also, the perspective seems off.

Mar 16 10 08:46 am Link

Retoucher

Ashish Arora

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Leroy Dickson wrote:
Sure looks fake to me. Using a popup flash, I'd expect the flame to not be so bright, also, the perspective seems off.

Maybe this was a big image, and it was cropped down to this view? Do you see they have intentionally blurred the kids there too?

Mar 16 10 10:23 am Link

Photographer

J Westover Photography

Saint George, Utah, US

From what I understand they think it is the husband is involved in the foul play of his wife disapearance. What I found interesting is that the actual website made the husband sound like a construction worker and as you get to the bottom it says he is a computer programmer and loves photography? so who knows maybe he did doctor these images to cover
his tracks or maybe he is simply innocent?  Just thought it was interesting..

Mar 16 10 12:38 pm Link

Retoucher

KKP Retouching

Anaheim, California, US

It just looks like a cropped P&S photo.  I can see why people think it might be "cut-out" since there is not harsh shadow we usually see in flash snapshots.  But look at the snow- there must have been some other light source nearby to soften things.

Mar 16 10 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

Vamp Boudoir

Florence, South Carolina, US

Even fire light cast shadows, theirs doesn't?...it looks like it (fire) was added in and someone forgot to add a warming filter from the fire light.

Mar 16 10 06:27 pm Link

Retoucher

KKP Retouching

Anaheim, California, US

Rebel Photo wrote:
Even fire light cast shadows, theirs doesn't?...it looks like it (fire) was added in and someone forgot to add a warming filter from the fire light.

Have you taken pictures of campfires?  It's not a focused light source- it throws diffused glow in every direction... and doesn't create that big of a shadow in a flash photo.

Mar 16 10 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

MisterC

Portland, Oregon, US

Doesn't matter. Looks real to me, but... real can be faked.

To add my opinion; I think the fire looks very real, normal, natural.

Mar 16 10 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Cyrus Creek Photography

Portsmouth, Rhode Island, US

I would think it would be easy to prove by asking who took the picture.  Since they are all in it there had to be someone else there and that would basically substantiate the image.

Mar 16 10 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

TravisWrayPhotography

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

completely fake.

Mar 16 10 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

Cyrus Creek Photography

Portsmouth, Rhode Island, US

Travis I'm just curious why you think it is a fake?

Mar 16 10 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Magers

Fullerton, California, US

Fake. 

The shadow of the RIGHT child does not match with the "lighting".
Also the shadowing is not consistent.

Mar 16 10 08:51 pm Link

Model

Marie LK

PLAYA DEL REY, California, US

Before you even look at the photo, let's talk about how ridiculous the website is...

Mar 16 10 09:03 pm Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

Moderator Warning!

Marie Keller wrote:
Before you even look at the photo, let's talk about how ridiculous the website is...

Let's not.

Mar 17 10 07:18 am Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

IMO - it's fake...there should be some shadows (from the flash), but there are absolutely none.

Mar 17 10 07:27 am Link

Retoucher

TS_Images

Joplin, Missouri, US

Fake IMO.

Mar 20 10 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

PTPhotoUT

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I love picking apart fake pics. There are a lot of good photoshop wizards on this sight that I would love to tear into. This pic is either a very, very well done fake, better than most photoshop wizard's, or it is real. There are shadows cast by the pop up flash on the camera (one in close proxmity to the lens). The red eyes were corrected, commonly done these days. The exposure and light fall off are consistant.

As pointed out in the "expert analysis", The fire is reflected in vitually every peak of snow not burned by the flash, except where shadowed by the family. Though that too can be faked, it's a hell of a lot of work.

I'm saying real.

Mar 20 10 10:44 pm Link

Digital Artist

Eithne Ni Anluain

Dundalk, Louth, Ireland

the perspective of the fire looks off to me - BUT we all know fire is a fluid so it may have been like that.

Me gut says FAKE BITCH so yeah I'm going with zee gut! lol

Mar 23 10 12:37 pm Link

Digital Artist

Melania Morabito

Reggio di Calabria, Calabria, Italy

Ni Anluain wrote:
the perspective of the fire looks off to me - BUT we all know fire is a fluid so it may have been like that.

Me gut says FAKE BITCH so yeah I'm going with zee gut! lol

Yes! That's what I thought when I saw the photo. For that angle, the shape of the flame looks too unnatural. And the fire its too bright for the scene, looks too plastic for me. So if me, that's a fake.

Mar 23 10 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

shawn is boring

Long Beach, California, US

MisterC wrote:
Doesn't matter. Looks real to me, but... real can be faked.

To add my opinion; I think the fire looks very real, normal, natural.

Agreed.

Mar 23 10 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

M A R T I N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

you guys are hilarious. none of you have watched enough CSI to be a forensic expert. tongue

Mar 23 10 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

Vamp Boudoir

Florence, South Carolina, US

KKP Retouching wrote:
Have you taken pictures of campfires?  It's not a focused light source- it throws diffused glow in every direction... and doesn't create that big of a shadow in a flash photo.

I've done something you haven't! camp! I've built more fires than most people, ..especially city dwellers, Buckwheat. You said a key word, it throws an ORANGE diffused glow, it also throws harsh shadows. Even under flash, you should see the shadows. Also at 1/60 sec. you would see the flames softer and not as defined. It's fake IMO, and you FAILED

ps..from that angle, the photographer would be standing in one big ass fire.

Mar 23 10 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

SuperCrash1

West Hollywood, California, US

I would say based on what I see the photo is real, the grain is consistent throughout (this is where most people screw up), the fire is not pasted in. Of course anything can be faked and the original would be preferable. I think the only anomaly to this photo is the fact it was most likely cropped

Mar 25 10 12:06 pm Link

Retoucher

KKP Retouching

Anaheim, California, US

Rebel Photo wrote:
I've done something you haven't! camp! I've built more fires than most people, ..especially city dwellers, Buckwheat. You said a key word, it throws an ORANGE diffused glow, it also throws harsh shadows. Even under flash, you should see the shadows. Also at 1/60 sec. you would see the flames softer and not as defined. It's fake IMO, and you FAILED

ps..from that angle, the photographer would be standing in one big ass fire.

How would you know if I've camped before?
I have a Girl Scout Gold Award- the equivalent to the Eagle Scout.

I still think it's real.  The flame would be sharp at 1/60... the flash stops a lot of the motion, so it wouldn't be as soft as you're imagining.  I have plenty of photos at 1/60 that look like the one in question.

Mar 25 10 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

hmmmmm.....who took the photo?

Mar 26 10 12:10 am Link