you're joking , right??

Mar 23 10 09:49 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

SirbuT wrote:
you're joking , right??

Nah, there's always room for improvement

And I was about to post an specific  B&A but then it might get published so I didn't until they decide.

x

Mar 23 10 09:57 am Link

Photographer

M A R T I N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Well it's hard to critique someone who does exceptional work, but I'd like to give you my general opinion as far as looking at you as if I was looking to hire a retoucher.

Mainly I get the impression that you primarily do beauty retouch, with an emphasis on great skin work. That's awesome, but I might need you to do more than that on a project and I don't have an indication from your portfolio that you have those skillsets.

So it's more about what I don't see: Can you do a kick ass black-n-white conversion? Motion, streak, ghost effects? cross-processes? age techniques? background replacement?

Or if it's your career goal to be highly specialized in skin retouch and you would not be interested in the thousand other things someone would go to a retoucher for, maybe indicate that clearly somehow.

smile

Mar 23 10 10:18 am Link

Retoucher

J Strath

Los Angeles, California, US

Uh....you're TOO good?

Mar 23 10 04:01 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

post something a little new-ish maybe?

smile

Mar 23 10 06:24 pm Link

Retoucher

Chaviit0

Wenatchee, Washington, US

I think ur work is amazing![=

Mar 23 10 07:52 pm Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

Besides the fact that I think you could improve your blur technique a little... In some of your images I feel like you miss little details. In the case of beauty images, this really stands out to me because for those images (IMO) everything should be perfect.

My favorite images from you are your more natural ones… The blonde on the bottom being my favorite of yours. In these I don't think you've taken the retouching far enough. Meaning  feature adjustments, turning the head, exc… I like looking at an image and not being able to tell if it was retouched and wondering if a model can be that perfect.

Mar 24 10 12:21 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Koray wrote:
post something a little new-ish maybe?

smile

http://www.nataliataffarel.com/Hanna.html

I think bt and Martin Bielecki make good points.

Mar 27 10 06:08 am Link

Retoucher

Krunoslav Stifter

Santa Cruz, California, US

Is that hair, in her left nostril?

Mar 27 10 06:15 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:

quick, fix the nose hair thingy on the right smile
It also has that block feel of dodged highlight on the face that I cant make myself like but your approach, taste and skill combo is beautiful as always.

Mar 27 10 06:16 am Link

Retoucher

Krunoslav Stifter

Overall, beautiful work. Here is something, that bothers me a bit, but only after seeing Before/After. Above her left ear, you fix the hair by cloning a bundle of hair and than you mirrored it. And that is exactly how it looks like. Maybe some sporadic Dodge & Burn would fix that. Just so, that it doesn't look like its cloned.

Eyelashes are work of art, BTW.

Mar 27 10 06:22 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Krunoslav-Stifter wrote:
Overall, beautiful work. Here is something, that bothers me a bit, but only after seeing Before/After. Above her left ear, you fix the hair by cloning a bundle of hair and than you mirrored it. And that is exactly how it looks like. Maybe some sporadic Dodge & Burn would fix that. Just so, that it doesn't look like its cloned.

Eyelashes are work of art, BTW.

caught me! big_smile

Yes I saw that and the nose thing (It's not a hair it's a little highlight, but I saw it several times and wasn't sure to take it out )

x

Mar 27 10 06:31 am Link

Retoucher

Krunoslav Stifter

Here is something purely subjective. Image isn't rotated, so that her eyes are in horizontal. I'm not sure this is the right thing to do, unless complete symmetry is the the objective.

Question: Obviously when you work on tiny details for 8h, you are unavoidably going to miss the "big picture". How do you deal with that problem, when deadlines are around the corner? I usually ask someone from my family how isn't a retoucher. They are not bound by details, and see things more objectively. Thats way I was able to spot imperfections in your work. If we traded places, I'm sure the same thing would happen to me. smile

Mar 27 10 06:42 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Krunoslav-Stifter wrote:
Image isn't rotated, so that her eyes are in horizontal

I think the "unevenness" is what makes the image interesting. notice how the collar bone goes backwards compared to the eyes.

Krunoslav-Stifter wrote:
Question: Obviously when you work on tiny details for 8h, you are unavoidably going to miss the "big picture".

Zoom out every 10 minutes. I do that all the time. I advocate that too.

I show my work to everyone. An untrained eye can spot A LOT of things once you convince them they don't have to be pros to have eyes smile

x

Mar 27 10 06:53 am Link

Retoucher

Krunoslav Stifter

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:
I show my work to everyone. An untrained eye can spot A LOT of things once you convince them they don't have to be pros to have eyes smile

x

+1

And I see what you mean by "unevenness".

Mar 27 10 06:58 am Link

Retoucher

Ashish Arora

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Its not easy to catch mistakes when its done by the Queen O Retouching! But, IMO, the whites are too sharp on her skin, not sure if this works well, but I won't do that, and that hair part mentioned by the OP, I still can't figure out if its flawed! haha

Actually what I meant by whites being too sharp for my taste is: you defined the face edges so well using contouring that it looks unnatural now, not sure if this is true, but just my 2 cents. wink

Natalia Taffarel wrote:
An untrained eye can spot A LOT of things once you convince them they don't have to be pros to have eyes

Our eyes are def. untrained, yes since we are catching a lot! tongue haahahahahha

And sugarbummy, you didn't even convince me! sad Sob, sob. :'x

Mar 27 10 07:09 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Magicalla Worx wrote:
you defined the face edges so well using contouring that it looks unnatural now

hm... I don't see it. But remember, sharp in screen is not the same as sharp for print.

x

Mar 27 10 07:37 am Link

Retoucher

Ashish Arora

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:
hm... I don't see it. But remember, sharp in screen is not the same as sharp for print.

x

Which is why I said I might be wrong sugar! That was a kickass retouch! The skin was a bit sharp for my taste, specially around the edges, and the contouring made her look flawless and seemingly unbelievable that she was that before wink

I'll be more specific, for eg, check the region above her nose. smile
Now like you say that its fine, so it should be. tongue

COS Told ya, mine are untrained eyes.

https://i44.tinypic.com/66gt3k.jpg

Mar 27 10 09:19 am Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:

I don't like the hairline at the forehead... the way you removed the hair looks like somethings missing... I would have left some of the hair in and taken the others out even more.

The eyes bother me... I think the Irises (sp) could use some reshaping. I have to admit though you rock at doing lashes.

Nice blur btw... tongue

Mar 27 10 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

Fashion Photographer

London, England, United Kingdom

There are some stray hairs here, around the eyebrows.

https://modelmayhm-5.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090823/06/4a9143133e2d6_m.jpg

wink

No, seriously. I don't mean the eyebrows themselves. Look on the left of the picture. One kind of appears out of nowhere

Mar 27 10 06:49 pm Link

Retoucher

E_Jacob

The only things I would work on more on the Hanna retouch are:

- That section of hair that you mirrored
- vary the length of the little hairs in the hairline
- the white hair/highlight in nostril
- remove her tooth that is poking down a little under her top lip
- d&b her neck and chest a bit more?  I feel the chicken skin stands out more because of how well you've worked her face.

Apart from that I think you've done a fab job and your lashes are lovely.

Mar 28 10 07:32 am Link

Photographer

Vamp Boudoir

Florence, South Carolina, US

The eyes.
Here's what's wrong: You must realize that eyes are like ping-pong ball. Not flat. So what you want to do is use gray gradiants to emphasize the roundness with the highlight being the white point.. A small amount also transfers to the socket, giving depth.

I'm still trying to perfect this. Now if you could teach me texture... LOL

Mar 28 10 07:39 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Davepit wrote:
There are some stray hairs here

Just saw those... oh my... I really missed them completely.

x

E_Jacob wrote:
- That section of hair that you mirrored   
- vary the length of the little hairs in the hairline-
- the white hair/highlight in nostril-

I agree

E_Jacob wrote:

don't agree. I think it looks "cute"

E_Jacob wrote:
- d&b her neck and chest a bit more?  I feel the chicken skin stands out more because of how well you've worked her face.

don't agree. I think makes her real.

thanks smile

Rebel Photo wrote:
The eyes.

I think it's a monitor issue.

Eyeballs have depth. They are darker in the edges and lighter in the middle.

Anyone else sees them as flat?

x

Mar 28 10 11:28 am Link

Retoucher

Ashish Arora

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:
x

If they were flat, they weren't done by you sugar. wink

Mar 28 10 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

Sandro V

Kiev, Kiev, Ukraine

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:

Very much impresses your level of skill.

Mar 29 10 10:35 am Link

Photographer

shawn is boring

Long Beach, California, US

Im not gonna kiss your bum like everyone else in this thread.

https://modelmayhm-5.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090720/09/4a649d352ea95.jpg

The red cast to the bottom teeth from the sucker, even though it might be realistic, looks kinda funky to me. That is something I would have done differently. Over all excellent work though.

Mar 29 10 04:18 pm Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

shawnmakesfoto wrote:
Over all excellent work though.

And then u did... wink

thanks... It's an old sample... I dunno about the red I think I would do that differently now.

x

Mar 29 10 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

shawn is boring

https://modelmayhm-5.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090726/20/4a6d25c23555f.jpg

Pinky fingernail shape is non realistic at tip. If her nail were really shaped like that, it would be cut straight across, compared to the arching shape of the other nails.

Its a difficult retouch being that the original nail was digging into the skin, and you ended up with a strangely shaped extension that looks like its hovering on the skin instead of making an indentation like the original nail did.

I would either reshape the nail, or shadow the skin accordingly to create a realistic dimple where the nail makes contact with the skin.

Again, excellent work. These are just little tiny nitpicks that nobody will ever notice in real life.

Mar 29 10 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

shawn is boring

shawnmakesfoto wrote:
https://modelmayhm-5.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090726/20/4a6d25c23555f.jpg

Pinky fingernail shape is non realistic at tip. If her nail were really shaped like that, it would be cut straight across, compared to the arching shape of the other nails.

Its a difficult retouch being that the original nail was digging into the skin, and you ended up with a strangely shaped extension that looks like its hovering on the skin instead of making an indentation like the original nail did.

I would either reshape the nail, or shadow the skin accordingly to create a realistic dimple where the nail makes contact with the skin.

Again, excellent work. These are just little tiny nitpicks that nobody will ever notice in real life.

Another criticism. her left ear tip (camera right) is pulled in to the point where the crease makes it look paper thin and overly flat.

Mar 29 10 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

I think your work is fabulous and I believe you are one of the best retouchers here in MM. So I really can't see anything wrong with your port since I love it all and I wish one day I will be as good as you. A girl can wish right smile

Mar 29 10 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

** I've written this over the course of a day or so due to circumstances here.  If the issues below have already been raised, I apologize in advance **

You know you're the best around, but if you wanted to improve 'Hanna', I'll offer these:

- Flyaways upper camera left.  I gather they were retained for 'realism', but they're sharp, contrasty, and lead out of the scene.  Keep the viewer in it - kill the main ones, leave the 'bounding' hairs.
- Two horizontal strays just above mid forehead - their parallel nature make them look like artifacts at first glance.  Studying them reveals that they're really there, but then the prospective client is thinking in terms of what you didn't do wrong instead of how amazingly you did right.  Given how good you are with hair, removing one and eliminating that perception seems worthwhile.  Don't distract the good clients.
- Left eyebrow at its peak gets a bit wide and has more strays than I'd expect.  Also two strays just left of the outer edge of the brow.
- Right eye - what's with the added lash across the eye itself?
- She obviously has an inset temple, but some not seeing the 'before' image may think that she either smudged her shadow w/o it being corrected either by the MUA or you, or that she's the victim of some pretty serious abuse.
- Left nostril - you'll know it when you see it.
- A few strays over the left collar bone which might be removed.

All in all brilliant work which I wish I had the eye for -- those are just the small things I'm capable of wink.

Mar 30 10 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Sentimental-SINtimental

Longview, Washington, US

https://modelmayhm-5.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090726/22/4a6d3462b714e_m.jpg

On this one to the left the 3 glowing hairs while they keep realizm... they are also distracting...  they stand out more when I told IE8 to resize to 200%.  I love the picture overall... but would also make it show up larger on MM

on this one: https://modelmayhm-5.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090720/09/4a64a11f14247_m.jpg only when you enlarge screen do you see that the model's left pupil is shaped funny... it's not round...  right one also seems to have a point on bottom of it

being as good as you are we get to be real picky   LOL

Apr 02 10 03:51 pm Link

Retoucher

Bloom_reflection

Plovdiv, Plovdiv, Bulgaria

I'm curious why you are added this lash
https://nisabg.comoj.com/hanna.jpg
it's very distracting IMO

Apr 06 10 12:11 pm Link

Retoucher

IdontKnowIForgot

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

how can anyone critique you? xO
you are on your own little planet of greatness compared to everyone else haha

just keep up your god like powers in ps ^^

Apr 06 10 01:07 pm Link

Retoucher

E_Jacob

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:

E_Jacob wrote:

don't agree. I think it looks "cute"

E_Jacob wrote:

don't agree. I think makes her real.

thanks smile

I think it's a monitor issue.

Eyeballs have depth. They are darker in the edges and lighter in the middle.

x

Cool!  I'm still pretty green, so I have a tendency to take retouches a little too far at times. wink

Apr 07 10 02:12 am Link

Digital Artist

Eithne Ni Anluain

Dundalk, Louth, Ireland

I like it!! muahh!

I have 3 things I personally don't like but its just my opinion

1) the hair masking on the upper right. It keeps getting my attention. :-P

2) eyelash as everyone has said

3) I don't like the lips re-shape. I think it makes her face look snipey or over long or something...

But then yer a genius and we're all plebs so.....

Apr 07 10 05:54 am Link