Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > I need to be kicked in the right direction...

Photographer

Sara Lando

Bassano del Grappa, Veneto, Italy

Hi everyone!
I'm totally no photoshop wizard, but I always retouched my own images and after starting to spend some time here I started to feel the need to improve (drastically) my retouching skills.
I find to me it's a bit easier to use other people images to practice on, because I can have a much more detached approach (and I don't know what the intention behind the image was, so this gives me a little more freedom to experiment)

I took one of the images the talented MerryP so kindly offered for practice here.

here's my try.

https://www.saralando.com/foto/MM/ret_52.jpg

you can see a rollover HERE
and some 100% details.

https://www.saralando.com/foto/MM/ret52lips1.jpg
https://www.saralando.com/foto/MM/ret52lips2.jpg

https://www.saralando.com/foto/MM/ret52eye1.jpg
https://www.saralando.com/foto/MM/ret52eye2.jpg

there are some areas I can still see stuff that bothers me or where I think I screwed up a little

https://www.saralando.com/foto/MM/ret52_notes.jpg

Also: I was going for something as invisible as possible, but would you change the lips?

But I'm sure there are plenty of things I just cannot see.
Don't be afraid to scar my ego, I only want to get better and I see I am not even close to where I'd want to be.

Thanks in advance for all the help you'll be able to give me...

Mar 25 10 06:37 am Link

Photographer

David Simpson Images

Bangor, Maine, US

I like the fact that you have maintained skin detail. You may be getting to critical of your attempts. I personally like what you did and what ever you see as the flaws do not stand out in anyway I can see that is distracting.

Besides no face is perfect and I feel that we should clean up the bigger distracting ones but the very fine small detailed ones keep it real to a degree. Only if the client wants everything removed should it be done as they are after all the boss on that job.

So I guess I won't kick you but instead pat you on the back and say keep up the good work

Mar 25 10 06:55 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

You got the technique right and the pale approach fits here.
Other then the areas you already circled, I think under the lips and chest could use some more work.

Mar 25 10 09:58 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Great work on small details. My advice? Zoom out. The image is probably going to be printed A3 tops, so you need to fix what you can see at that size.

There are shadows everywhere in the image that I would personally get rid of.

Hair is a part of the image too. It needs to be consistent.

When I have more time, I'll circle that up

x

Mar 25 10 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Sara Lando

David: you are way too kind... I can see I am still a noob, because if I compare what I do to what the pro do, I can see it's not the same.
But to me it's still hard to see the difference while I'm working on the image and not only after I've shopped it...

Koray: ouch. I can TOTALLY see it now. Thanks.

Natalia: ahahaha busted!
I almost always worked at 100% or more and it's true: I get lost in the smallest details and the big pictures gets lost.

>When I have more time, I'll circle that up

that would be incredibly useful, thankyou!!
In the hair, in particular, I'm not sure I see what you mean. Squinting and trying to unfocus my eyes (which is what I do when I', working on details to clone out) I see that there's a triangular shadow sticking out where her right ear should be. And maybe the roots too?

Anyway thanks a lot to all three of you

Mar 25 10 12:17 pm Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

ok

www.nataliataffarel.com/marks.jpg

Blue: Shadows to get rid/blend better (D&B)
RED: Hair I'd get rid off/blend better

With a more detailed review.

I'd definitively get rid of the black fabric and the lines in the armpit/wrinkle by the chin

also on a more personal note, if the eye make up is going to be the only touch of color, then make it a statement, a lil brighter, more saturated, add depth by increasing the highlight (not ridiculous, just a bit)

One more thing: eyelashes they look flat and pointing down. I'd smudge the edges in a new layer to make them go up.

x

Mar 25 10 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Sara Lando

THANKYOU SO MUCH for taking the time to do this.
It makes perfect sense, and it's really priceless to see the image through your eyes.
And I can really see what you mean with the hair. I really hope it's a skill that can be learned with experience, or I'm doomed ^_^

It's back-to-work time, then.

Mar 25 10 02:49 pm Link

Retoucher

Traciee D

Lafayette, Louisiana, US

completely agree with Natalia.  Your skin work is great but some of the shadows should be eliminated like she circled.  Keep up the great work!!!

Mar 25 10 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

Sara Lando

So, after Natalia's post I decided to put some more work into the image (it's how it works after all...)

and here's a new version of the image.

https://www.saralando.com/foto/MM/ret52_b.jpg

still not perfect and I now see that need to approach some areas with different saturations and color casts, but when I toggle my "retouch2" group on and off I see the difference with my first attempt and it's a bit embarassing and great at the same time smile

the weird thing is that the more you do the more stuff that needs to be attacked you see... I find it hard to know where to stop (I guess it has to be somewhere between "not enough" and "too much").

Rollover can be seen here

Anyway I am enjoying the ride quite a bit. It's relaxing and it kind of puts me into a trance.
I'd never do it as a job though: I can't imagine having to put a price to all the hours something like this takes.

Mar 26 10 08:39 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

nice...good job with the hair.
after a certain point, which is very close to where you are at right now, its all about personal taste. For example I still would do something about the shadow area under the lower lip smile

Mar 26 10 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Sara Lando

Koray wrote:
nice...good job with the hair.
after a certain point, which is very close to where you are at right now, its all about personal taste. For example I still would do something about the shadow area under the lower lip smile

I did a little bit and that I felt like I was losing volume and the way I did it made the bottom lip look flat.
You meant dodging it away or just making it more even?

Mar 26 10 09:23 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

I dont know...gotta do it myself to visualize big_smile

you may be right, it may look too fake (retouched). image looks nice and natural right now. let it be if you like it like that.

Mar 26 10 09:30 am Link

Retoucher

SolKat Model Enhancemen

Jacksonville, Florida, US

HEY YOU: PSST LET ME TELL YA A SECRET

Theres nothing wrong at all your doing fantastic ! I know people will critique this compliment so Ill say kudos to you smile

It's nice to leave some pore detail but for pinup work (not fashion per say) I overly photoshop and yes my older clients (30-45 ) want to look like porcelain dolls so I do overdo some on purpose.

For this type of shot - you did real good. Especially leaving details. Only critique maybe make her lips look wet or apply some digicolor smile

Mar 30 10 12:11 pm Link