Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > Composite Critique Please

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

OK, so on a whim I decided to work on another of the images I took of Nolette on that day we visited the antique shop. Wellsboro has a nice, old fashioned looking movie theater and she posed in front of it. I wanted to see what I could do.

I spent about an hour on this one so I'm sure I missed some stuff. Click on the image to see the full size of that version.

ORIGINAL
https://www.model-citizens.com/NoletteStuff/Nolette_20091107_0300.jpg
VINTAGE
https://www.model-citizens.com/NoletteStuff/Nolette_Vintage-Theater1.jpg

Mar 26 10 10:08 am Link

Retoucher

Oranges

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

overall great tone.  you've done a nice job at really targeting the midtones, hence flattening out the image which gives that vintage look.  Really good work on the reflections too (cars and movie one sheets).  those are the details that really make it work.  A couple suggestions:

1) The texture in the highlights isn't working as well as the rest of the image.  It gives it that photoshop-texture-brush-layer look.  try using a finer texture in the highlights.  a bit more sandy, and less chunky. 

2) I know you only took an hour so i wouldn't expect the text to look perfect.  But if you wanted to spend more time, work on the movie titles to match the style of the original.  they definitely look slapped on.

well done.

Mar 26 10 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

Bret McMichael wrote:
overall great tone.  you've done a nice job at really targeting the midtones, hence flattening out the image which gives that vintage look.  Really good work on the reflections too (cars and movie one sheets).  those are the details that really make it work.  A couple suggestions:

1) The texture in the highlights isn't working as well as the rest of the image.  It gives it that photoshop-texture-brush-layer look.  try using a finer texture in the highlights.  a bit more sandy, and less chunky. 

2) I know you only took an hour so i wouldn't expect the text to look perfect.  But if you wanted to spend more time, work on the movie titles to match the style of the original.  they definitely look slapped on.

well done.

Thanks and great advice on the highlights. I wouldn't have thought of that. The text did look kinda off to me too but I couldn't quite figure out why. I'll go back to that part also.

Thanks for the critique. Much appreciated.

Mar 26 10 06:30 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

the moment I saw this I cant help but thinking its a little crooked.
I also cant find a strong focal point in the image. model is too small and centered, nothing else stands out. Only way to fix that is to thrash at least 1/3 of the image vertical or horizontal cropping tighter.

Titles are mentioned already.

I like how you handled the reflections smile

Mar 26 10 07:26 pm Link