Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > Say something to make it worthwhile.

Photographer

Fashion Photographer

London, England, United Kingdom

I hate retouching.  I hate it with a passion. It eats my time. I enter with time, and I leave with a sore wrist.

But I'm also like control. So I retouch my own pictures.

And I just retouched the last one from my shoot. I tried things I haven't tried before.

What did I do well? What can I do better?

https://www.davepit.co.uk/temp/IMG_8807-Edit.jpg

After:

https://www.davepit.co.uk/temp/IMG_8807-Edit-2.jpg

Mar 27 10 06:33 pm Link

Retoucher

J Strath

Los Angeles, California, US

Looks great!  Nothing sticks out at me at all that I would consider a "mistake" or "flaw."  It's perfect.  You the photographer always knows what's best for your photos, so as long as you like it, then it's all good. X3

Personally, I wouldn't have made her skin look so "glowy," but that's just from my own personal taste.  It doesn't harm the photo at all, so it isn't a bad thing.  Again, it all has to do with what you think suits your photos best.  So you did everything right as far as I can tell.  Heh, the pro's might have a keener eye to things, but I like it like this. ^_^

Mar 27 10 07:13 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

There is something red on her teeth tongue

Good job on overall skin but I personally would keep her nose smoother.

Also composition wise, her neck is the largest bright area and I would darken gradually starting from bottom to direct the viewers attention to her eyes.

Mar 27 10 08:00 pm Link

Retoucher

J Strath

Los Angeles, California, US

Koray wrote:
There is something red on her teeth tongue

Good job on overall skin but I personally would keep her nose smoother.

Also composition wise, her neck is the largest bright area and I would darken gradually starting from bottom to direct the viewers attention to her eyes.

Omg, totally didn't notice the teeth!  Hahahahaha.....oh dear, what is wrong with me.  XD  These are like those mind games/puzzles where you're supposed to point out all the things missing from the pictures.  See, told you a pro would come here and point something out.....had no idea it would be that obvious. XD

Mar 27 10 10:11 pm Link

Retoucher

Ashish Arora

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

1. As Koray mentioned, nose seems too rough, the nose is generally 2-3 times smoother for that really awesome look.

2. You made her body appear somewhat rough, the shoulder area for example, should be smoothed and evened out.

3. The teeth redness as Koray mentioned. Also, If you had so much texture on the lips, wouldn't you make the edges perfect?

4. The hair seems you sharpened it, that doesn't work too well here.

5. The highlights and the shadows on the hair are too contrasting.

6. You lost detailing in the eyebrows and eyelashes there.

7. Overall contrast seems pretty high for me and no contouring anywhere, like on the neck as Koray mentions?

8. The eyes seem too above for grabbing attention, maybe compose it better?

Mar 27 10 11:59 pm Link

Photographer

Fashion Photographer

Thank you smile I appreciate your help smile

Mar 28 10 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Fashion Photographer

Thank you smile I appreciate your help smile

Mar 28 10 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Nicole Nygaard

Sacramento, California, US

For hating retouching I think you did a great job. But I'm not retoucher wink

Besides the teeth it looks very good.

Mar 28 10 01:25 pm Link

Retoucher

Ashish Arora

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

NNygaard Studios wrote:
For hating retouching I think you did a great job. But I'm not retoucher wink

You don't have to have trained eyes to catch flaws. smile

NNygaard Studios wrote:
Besides the teeth it looks very good.

Not at all, it seems like the MUA was a noob and spill the lipstick onto her teeth, which happens sometimes cos they ask you to rub and chew the extra out, sometimes so you have to clear up the mess later when you retouch.

Mar 28 10 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

Fashion Photographer

I just wanted to clarify, because I intend to post the picture in my portfolio here, with a credit, that the MUA was not a noob, but rather very talented. The fact that she got the line of the top lip so perfect (I haven't retouched it at all) when the studio we were shooting in was lit only by the modelling lights of the strobes (There was a power failure) speaks volumes about her ability. The reason there was make up on the teeth was that the model was holding jewellery in her mouth.

Thanks again for all the feedback, I appreciate it smile

Mar 28 10 11:21 pm Link

Retoucher

Ashish Arora

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Davepit wrote:
I just wanted to clarify, because I intend to post the picture in my portfolio here, with a credit, that the MUA was not a noob, but rather very talented. The fact that she got the line of the top lip so perfect (I haven't retouched it at all) when the studio we were shooting in was lit only by the modelling lights of the strobes (There was a power failure) speaks volumes about her ability. The reason there was make up on the teeth was that the model was holding jewellery in her mouth.

Thanks again for all the feedback, I appreciate it smile

Not at all Dave! No, you didn't get my point, I said if you leave the redness in the teeth there, it will only show that the MUA was being a noob, not that she is. I mentioned how perfectly were the lips texturized [you have to have a great makeup girl is to be credited for that]so you got to pull off the edges perfect to enhance it. smile

You got me all wrong. This was not for you but the OP above me who commented that the redness in the teeth works good.

Mar 29 10 01:21 am Link

Photographer

Nicole Nygaard

Sacramento, California, US

Let me rephrase: Other than the teeth I think you did a very good job.

Mar 29 10 01:27 am Link

Retoucher

Ashish Arora

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

NNygaard Studios wrote:
Let me rephrase: Other than the teeth I think you did a very good job.

Omg! I didn't realize it absolutely, great! Now I get you meant the other way round. wink

Mar 29 10 02:24 am Link