Forums > General Industry > Cancellation Fees

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

People don't seriously think someone's going to pay a cancellation fee, do they?

Now, I can see if you took a deposit before a shoot was to transpire (via paypal, stormpay, etc...) after they knew your cancellation policy. But to schedule a shoot then the model/photographer doesn't show up, you think sending them a bill will actually help you? That they'd actually pay it??? lol

Jul 24 05 10:49 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I know money is the root of all evil.
Do funny things to some people.
Give me a nickel, brother can you spare a dime.
Money can drive some people out of their minds.

Jul 24 05 12:26 pm Link

Makeup Artist

EmElle Makeup and Hair

San Jose, California, US

Posted by Monsante Bey: 
People don't seriously think someone's going to pay a cancellation fee, do they?

If cancellation terms are stated up front and agreed to, you bet your bippy I'll send an invoice, if the cancellation falls within the timeframe of the cancellation agreement.

If no such agreement is made prior to the shoot, an invoice can and will be ignored.  I know I haven't got a leg to stand on in such situations, so I don't send invoices.

Jul 24 05 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

The thing about scheduling a shooting, is meeting with the model before hand....get it in righting at that point with 50% of what it is services you are giving.....

Jul 24 05 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

piers

London, Arkansas, US

Cancellations
If a booking is cancelled within one working day of the starting time the full booking fee will be charged, unless the same model is booked within 24 hours in which case half the booking fee will be charged.
If a booking is cancelled outside the one day period but within two working days of the starting time then half the booking fee will be charged.
Bookings of more than three days duration: if the booking is cancelled within a period equal to the length of the booking, then the full fee is charged. Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays are excluded from these calculations.

Standard in pretty much every model agency T&C. Reckon a client can just ignore it?

Likewise, every decent photographer's terms have a similar clause.

Granted, for smaller amounts (such as paid tests) it is easier to insist on 100% payment on booking but otherwise the payment of a deposit forms part of the client's acceptance of my terms - the fact that they have already paid a fair chunk of the bill tends to focus their attention so cancelations are very infrequent.

Jul 24 05 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

(such as paid tests)...WOW! I never heard of that before

Jul 24 05 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

piers

London, Arkansas, US

Posted by Alex Alexander: 
I never heard of that before

What, of getting payment up front for them?

Jul 24 05 12:59 pm Link

Makeup Artist

EmElle Makeup and Hair

San Jose, California, US

I might take a deposit on model tests.  If the photographer took a deposit, the model is already invested in showing up, so I don't worry about it.  (knock on wood) I haven't had any model no shows on model testing shoots.

For those occasions I do weddings, I always take a 50% deposit to book the date, plus a contract is signed.  I do this because if I didn't, the bride's grandma's cousin's nephew's best friend's little sister will swoop in to do the makeup for free (last minute as a gift) and I'm out any money for the booking and for having worked the trial.

My contracts state a cancellation fee, which I would enforce.  For commercial jobs, they sign a Confirmation Agreement that also states the cancellation fee.

The only time I wouldn't charge the cancellation fee is weather-permitting shoots.  Can't control mother nature!

As previously mentioned, this is standard agency practice as well... for artist agencies, photog agencies, and model agencies.

Jul 24 05 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Tommy Mc Photography

Carson, California, US

I charge a creation fee up front before I shoot. The shoot is not "officially" booked until I have that fee. If the client fails to show up, I keep the fee.

When people pay something up front, they normally show up.

Jul 24 05 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

For smaller amounts of money, cancelation fees are not something I'd charge. But with weddings, I charge a 50% deposit, and by the contract, can keep the full deposit if the couple cancels after a certain date.  It's funny I have few problems with cancelations on weddings, but maybe I should start doing it if any models start canceling on me?  wink

Xtreme, you're exactly right!  "Money can drive some people out of their mind!"  ... that's the lyric from a great song!

Jul 24 05 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I find it funny that not too long ago in another post I stated that I ask for a deposit and if the model doesn't show, I keep the deposit.

I'm not sure it was anyone who posted in this thread but; when I said I do that, I got some many responses about the integrity of my character by suggesting all the things I might do in order to not return the deposit.

Time is invaluable! Waste it and you've wasted much more than you can ever repay in any monetary form.

Jul 25 05 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Posted by EMG STUDIOS: 
I find it funny that not too long ago in another post I stated that I ask for a deposit and if the model doesn't show, I keep the deposit.

I'm not sure it was anyone who posted in this thread but; when I said I do that, I got some many responses about the integrity of my character by suggesting all the things I might do in order to not return the deposit.

Time is invaluable! Waste it and you've wasted much more than you can ever repay in any monetary form.

People forget that this is a choice.  If someone does not want to pay a deposit, they can look until they find someone who will work with them without it. 

It's not like you force anyone to pay! But when someone knows that it is costing them money, they are much more likely to show up!

Now what could be wrong with that?

Jul 25 05 07:26 pm Link