Forums > General Industry > Not showing up... an industry DISEASE?

Photographer

Chuck Holliday

New York, New York, US

nah, blacklisting people would do nothing but cause more controversy, cause more confusion, cause more stories long drawn out, and would be a curse for everybody alive because you will then have a person who might see another person as doing something a day late as enough for a blacklist, and would we all want that?

BTW, its most of the models from online who are the ones who do most of the no-call no show type stuff to me, a majority of the models i've come in contact with offline normally come through and i dont have any problems, infact i havent had any problems. for me, its just everybody online, which is why i've scaled back on MM, OMP, MC, every letter initial website in the book, theyre all in that category

Jul 24 05 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

As for me coming from 4 years in the U.S. Marines then 16 years on Wall Street then finally to commercial photography.

I found the transition difficult when most of the time if people showed up they where 1/2 to 1.5 hours late. Here I am 1/2 to a hour early for a shoot (pending on situation) and the rest would come late.

Well in the Marines we would just kick you ass until you showed up early. On wall street we just fired you on the spot and got someone else. AND you name would be 'mud' from then on.

Not showing up or being late without a call many hours in advance shows no respect for oneself, their peers, or the industry they are in.

I have no room for them and don't ever work with them again.

M

Jul 24 05 11:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

leokitty2012

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I agree. People work too hard in this industry to have it muddied by unprofessionals.

Being a model myself, I hate that the unprofessionalism of some automatically causes assumptions for all.  I know that's "just the way it works" - but it is unbelievably frustrating to lose out on a job (like a calendar i am up for) because half the models in the job flake, and you can't publish a calendar with 6 models.

I am pretty sure too that the internet played a huge role in this problem.  Regardless, that doesn't mean we have to put up with it or even allow it.  It extends father than just models though too, I have dealt with flakey photographers, casting directors, and even some of the agencies I am with (or no longer with).  Something should be done, regardless of what it is.  Maybe the pros should just leave the internet to the wannabes..... sad 

Jul 24 05 11:39 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

Posted by Chuck Holliday: 
nah, blacklisting people would do nothing but cause more controversy, cause more confusion, cause more stories long drawn out, and would be a curse for everybody alive because you will then have a person who might see another person as doing something a day late as enough for a blacklist, and would we all want that?

BTW, its most of the models from online who are the ones who do most of the no-call no show type stuff to me, a majority of the models i've come in contact with offline normally come through and i dont have any problems, infact i havent had any problems. for me, its just everybody online, which is why i've scaled back on MM, OMP, MC, every letter initial website in the book, theyre all in that category

You've never worked with me...and I have been doing this over the internet for quite some time. Only, I actually show up to the shoots, and ON TIME...big shock? No ALL models who work through the internet are typical of those you have had bad experiences with.

Jul 25 05 09:34 am Link

Photographer

XtremeXposure

Fort Worth, Texas, US

As with everything you have your good and you have your bad. It all boils down to being a responsible person and in this day and age they are far and few between sad

Jul 25 05 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

I got some news for everyone....It's not just this "industry" (such a broad word for all the different types of photography we all do)...it's everywhere. I run a graphic design company, and there are allot of people who don't return calls or e-mails, don't call to cancel a meeting, ask for quotes but don't provide all the details necessary to give one and just never e-mail them to you and fall off the planet suddenly....the human population in general is full of flakes....why should this "industry" be any different.

Jul 25 05 11:54 am Link