Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > First airbrushing attempt.

Photographer

Jessica-Dee

Chester, England, United Kingdom

https://modelmayhm-1.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/100416/06/4bc861fd39733_m.jpg

Ok, so it's my first go at a detailed re-touching. I've mainl focused on getting rid of blemishes, evening skin tone and re-shaping the lips.

I was wondering what your thoughts were (remember i'm a newbie! haha)
and if you have any good tips for me?

Apr 16 10 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

not bad except the white balance in the 2nd image looks off and the overall image looks a bit blurry. If you're going to blur skin, you'll have to do so while keeping other things in focus using layers.  Do a search on www.youtube.com for some easy to follow videos on photoshop. Example- search smoothing skin in photoshop.

Apr 16 10 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

Jessica-Dee

FlirtynFun Photography wrote:
not bad except the white balance in the 2nd image looks off and the overall image looks a bit blurry. If you're going to blur skin, you'll have to do so while keeping other things in focus using layers.  Do a search on www.youtube.com for some easy to follow videos on photoshop. Example- search smoothing skin in photoshop.

Thanks smile
I actually meant to have the white balance off (as in have the background slightly grey).. maybe it doesn't work though, ha!

Apr 16 10 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

George Lue

Orlando, Florida, US

Jessica-Dee wrote:

Thanks smile
I actually meant to have the white balance off (as in have the background slightly grey).. maybe it doesn't work though, ha!

White balance affects the color temperature of a photo, not the exposure.

Apr 16 10 04:06 pm Link

Retoucher

Elite Retouch

New York, New York, US

Jessica-Dee wrote:

If you want the background gray, mask it out. The overall change you did results in the subject having an unnatural contrast distribution. And the natural shadows present in the before, now appear gray and muddy.

Apr 16 10 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Reiffer

Southampton, England, United Kingdom

Apart from the removal of a few forehead pimples, and the changing of the tone to leave the background off-white, I'm not entirely sure what else has been done here.

It's not up to a "retoucher" standard, in my opinion, but a start at least.

Apr 16 10 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

Sweeter Photography

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, US

IMO, Looks as if the hair has lost clarity,  Other then that it looks good!

Apr 16 10 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Jessica-Dee

Paul Reiffer wrote:
Apart from the removal of a few forehead pimples, and the changing of the tone to leave the background off-white, I'm not entirely sure what else has been done here.

It's not up to a "retoucher" standard, in my opinion, but a start at least.

Not much, just re-shaped the lips and evened the skin tone around the mouth/nose.

I know i'm far from re-toucher standards don't worry! It's just something I thought i'd stick in my port to show how much (or how little) I can air-brush

Apr 16 10 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

PE Arts

Falls Church, Virginia, US

even though everyone hates it, you need to add a highpass layer in overlay mode.. will sharpen up the edges of things... will make the blur less noticeable

also a little more liquify on the sagging skin on the jaw line...  make her faceial lines smooth, no sudden breaks in the lines

Apr 29 10 08:40 am Link

Retoucher

LK Belter

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

PE Art Photography wrote:
even though everyone hates it

That seems like a pretty extreme statement .. from reading peoples opinions that doesn't seem like an accurate assessment.

She does need more refinement though, and that all comes with time and practice.

Apr 29 10 06:42 pm Link