Photographer

Mademoiselle Boudoir

Syracuse, New York, US

I have been focusing on retouching recently, and I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on my current skill set.
I have spent countless hours reading and practicing the different methods of retouching discussed in the forums here and via tutorial links .... Still a reletive newb to this genre and really looking to step things up a bit.
All thoughts appreciated!

https://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii229/NVP/Retouching/Untitled-1.jpg

Apr 24 10 08:03 am Link

Retoucher

Ashish Arora

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Well done, I love those eyes and those lips, and how neatly you corrected that dress there. Good job on the skin too.

Now, some things, not really distracting, but as a retoucher:

The wrinkles you cleared on the neck, left some soft lines, and some other lines (you have to stress your eyes to see, in case you don't, zoom in to your original)

The ears don't work too well, esp. the left one (as per the perspective, not how you see)

The nose is too big for her face, maybe tweak a bit and she will look beautiful, she almost looks flawless even now though and you might wanna only take out the lines on her neck, and keep it to natural. I like what you did.

Also, for my taste: The blacks on the dress are hurting and you lost some detail there, maybe tone them down a bit. You might wanna cool down the backdrop a bit or maybe add some reds to the skin and see if it suits your taste.

Apr 24 10 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Mademoiselle Boudoir

Syracuse, New York, US

Thanks so much for your kind words and generous critique. I did alter the nose slightly, bringing down the left nostril so that it was more symetrical. I considered a little futher change, but decided that might be taking it too far for my current abilities smile
The ears I have to agree with, I will say I didn't even really take notice of them until you mentioned. I guess I need to "sharpen my eye a bit"
Thanks again, and your work is very nice btw!

Apr 24 10 06:11 pm Link

Retoucher

Ashish Arora

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

NVP wrote:
I did alter the nose slightly, bringing down the left nostril so that it was more symetrical. I considered a little futher change, but decided that might be taking it too far for my current abilities smile

Yeah, requires some skills, but you will get there with more experience, actually the skin here didn't have much to do, maybe you get a photo with bad skin to practice.

NVP wrote:
The ears I have to agree with, I will say I didn't even really take notice of them until you mentioned. I guess I need to "sharpen my eye a bit"

Its ok, just as I said, it looks flawless as seeb from a common eye, but when you see it as a retoucher, you get to notice and also, you will agree if you print the image, you will see a lot of detail lost in the fabric.

NVP wrote:
Thanks again, and your work is very nice btw!

Just had a look at yours- your lighting is fab and your port. is very illustrative of your great skills as a photographer. We must work! Love it, leaving you off some comments. smile

Apr 24 10 10:03 pm Link