Photographer

sanjayb

Los Angeles, California, US

Hey retouching gods,
I shot a model/actor/whatever and he wanted to make a couple of his photos into headshots. This is what turned out for one of them

https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4024/4587963925_4ccc0a6a7e_b.jpg

Couple questions:
1. What do you think?
2. I did some facial reconstruction, is it super obvious? Does his face look weird? I'm not sure I did it perfectly, but I think I did a pretty good job. I basically took left eye copied it and made it his right eye along with the the whole half of the face.
3. Anything I need to fix in it?
4. I can give you guys the photoshop file if that'll help.
5. If you were that guy, would you use this as a headshot? I mean does the major facial fix make it worth it?

May 07 10 11:34 pm Link

Retoucher

y2cute

San Francisco, California, US

it looks really fake...almost like a cartoon after. usually, most headshot & portrait u would want to make it natural if possible.

May 07 10 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

sanjayb

so is that too much skin smoothing or something else?

May 07 10 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

sanjayb

Here's the PS file:

Edit: Removed because had virus?!

May 08 10 12:22 am Link

Photographer

FotoMark

Oxnard, California, US

IMG 0171 wrote:
so is that too much skin smoothing or something else?

I think too much skin smoothing. Looks too smooth, I don't shoot super models or for SI but here is my opinion. Worth 1/10 of a peso wink Shot looks pretty good out of camera. Brighten background a little, darken shirt, dodge under eyes get rid of dark circles, dodge face a teeny bit real low opacity. 10% I think it's a god shot, don't overwork it.

May 08 10 12:28 am Link

Photographer

Ruben Sanchez

San Antonio, Texas, US

You just need to being out some skin texture out, as the skin looks plastic and fake.  Other than that, not bad.

By the way, your link has a Virus Attached to it, that attempted to hijack my computer.

May 08 10 12:31 am Link

Photographer

sanjayb

Ruben Sanchez wrote:
You just need to being out some skin texture out, as the skin looks plastic and fake.  Other than that, not bad.

By the way, your link has a Virus Attached to it, that attempted to hijack my computer.

!! Really?! Shit. Was it the file itself or just the host site?

May 08 10 12:40 am Link

Photographer

sanjayb

FotoMark wrote:

I think too much skin smoothing. Looks too smooth, I don't shoot super models or for SI but here is my opinion. Worth 1/10 of a peso wink Shot looks pretty good out of camera. Brighten background a little, darken shirt, dodge under eyes get rid of dark circles, dodge face a teeny bit real low opacity. 10% I think it's a god shot, don't overwork it.

OK cool, thanks! Yea I think I def over did it for a head shot. I used a fashion retouch technique I found here a couple weeks ago, it works well, but I think here it's too much.

How did I do on the face reconstruction does it look believable? This is more out of curiosity.

May 08 10 12:43 am Link

Photographer

D Magi Visual Concepts

IMG 0171 wrote:
Here's the PS file:

When shooting, especially headshots, try to get some specularity (catchlights) in the eyes.  Otherwise, they tend to look dead.

May 08 10 12:44 am Link

Photographer

Ruben Sanchez

San Antonio, Texas, US

That, I don't know.  When I clicked on download button, my anti-virus protection stopped it, saying it had a dangerous virus attached to it.  Sorry I didn't copy it the info.  If you have the psd file, run it through virus protection to make sure it's clean, give it another name, and repost it with the different name.

May 08 10 12:52 am Link

Photographer

sanjayb

D Magi Visual Concepts wrote:

When shooting, especially headshots, try to get some specularity (catchlights) in the eyes.  Otherwise, they tend to look dead.

Ok yea, I see what you're saying there. I'll add in photoshop this time, but def keep that in mind for next time.

Thanks.

May 08 10 12:55 am Link

Photographer

DC Photo - Inactive

Trenton, New Jersey, US

Besides the skin issue as mentioned you have a pretty bad cutout around the right-ear, left-hand side of photo.

May 08 10 01:00 am Link

Photographer

sanjayb

David Cajio Photography wrote:
Besides the skin issue as mentioned you have a pretty bad cutout around the right-ear, left-hand side of photo.

Yea I had noticed that I was gonna fix it with clone stamp, but I kept looking at the face and kept wondering if there was something wrong with how i restructured it that I forgot... big_smile

May 08 10 01:37 am Link

Photographer

DC Photo - Inactive

Trenton, New Jersey, US

IMG 0171 wrote:

Yea I had noticed that I was gonna fix it with clone stamp, but I kept looking at the face and kept wondering if there was something wrong with how i restructured it that I forgot... big_smile

A few things I noticed and you can take them for what they are:

-When shooting considering your light source, a softbox will be softer than an umbrella which will be softer than direct light.  I tend to shoot males with more direct (harsher) light and D&B the skin far less leaving a more grainy feel.  Often times I'll even unsharp a little to bring the graininess more to the surface.

-When shooting women the opposite is often true.

I find smoother skin makes a male look more feminine and emasculates them.  Also, your lighting is very flat.  Try shooting your main light slightly angled and using a reflector or secondary light at a lower setting to get some contrast.  Just my two cents for what it's worth (not much).

-Dave

May 08 10 01:48 pm Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Agoura Hills, California, US

Like the other posters said, a headshot much look unretouched. I've seen casting directors skip over headshots that look retouched; they want to know what the person they're hiring actually looks like. This means we must be very tricky when we retouch. Here's an example of a retouch I did that I think would fool a casting director. Remember, it's got to look VERY natural.

https://modelmayhm-1.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/100422/19/4bd10abb613d5_m.jpg

May 09 10 05:10 pm Link

Digital Artist

Eithne Ni Anluain

Dundalk, Louth, Ireland

FotoMark wrote:
Shot looks pretty good out of camera..

+1

Just clean the spots and dark eye circles. Don't change the face shape unless your correcting a lens distortion. Nip tucking wee bits is ok, but it must not be noticeable - contradiction I know but it must look natural if you change anything. Muscles and bones have certain alignments and wont bend into a isosceles triangle when it can only be a obtuse angle! rofl!

May 11 10 08:44 am Link

Photographer

sanjayb

Thanks, you all have been very helpful

May 16 10 01:21 am Link