Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > My First Attempt at Photoshop...

Model

cocokailee

Sacramento, California, US

So I realize this is my modeling profile that I'm posting with, but I also do photography, so retouching is definitely something I'm interested in getting better at. I think the editing/retouching that I've done in the past has been pretty decent, but I want to expand and really hone/sharpen my skills. I recently did a shoot with a great Photographer friend of mine and since I JUST got photoshop, she gave me a few of the untouched shots to play with--which was really, really nice of her to do, I think. Anyway...

I finished one so far, which I sent to her, and she said it was good, but I'd love to get more feedback/critique on it. Eventually, I'd like to be able to do work that is on a high end level, so I'd really like to know what some of the other experienced retouchers think about this one; and what I could change or do better next time to really make an image like this one pop like the shots you see in magazines and makeup advertisements/editorials.

(I left the hair/fly-aways the way they were on purpose, because I was more so focusing on the skin and makeup. So just ignore that lol XD)

BEFORE & AFTER
https://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae282/kksmith1217/RETOUCHES/B4ANDAFTER.jpg

CLOSE UP DETAILS
https://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae282/kksmith1217/RETOUCHES/KNAVEcloseup1.png

https://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae282/kksmith1217/RETOUCHES/KNAVEcloseup2.png

May 07 10 11:49 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

I like your subtle and tasteful approach smile

But first I would remove the whiteish thing around her nostril smile

Then I would soften and even the shadows on her forehead. The hand, some parts of her body and face are a bit too bright and distracting for my taste which I also would take care of. Then I would add a custom vignette to frame the image and direct the viewers eye more to her face.

May 08 10 06:11 am Link

Photographer

The Perfect Image Inc

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm also interested in learning more about retouching in Photoshop. Can someone who replies to this thread say WHAT tools to use, and HOW to apply them in order to get the results mentioned in the above reply?

May 08 10 06:18 am Link

Model

cocokailee

Koray wrote:
I like your subtle and tasteful approach smile

But first I would remove the whiteish thing around her nostril smile

Then I would soften and even the shadows on her forehead. The hand, some parts of her body and face are a bit too bright and distracting for my taste which I also would take care of. Then I would add a custom vignette to frame the image and direct the viewers eye more to her face.

Thank you! I tried to not to over-do it too much--the skin smoothing especially, because I didn't want to come out looking like I was plastic, or like a cartoon or something. So I'm very glad to see you use the word 'subtle' haha smile

I'm assuming you mean my nose piercing when you say 'the whiteish thing' around my nostril? Otherwise, I'm not sure exactly what you might be talking about... As for softening and evening the shadows though, how would I go about doing that? Should I use a lightening tool for that? And on parts that are too bright (my hand, face, etc.), what tool would you suggest I use in the future to darken high exposure so they're not as bright and distracting in the retouch?

Thanks for your help! big_smile

May 08 10 02:59 pm Link

Model

cocokailee

The Perfect Image Inc wrote:
I'm also interested in learning more about retouching in Photoshop. Can someone who replies to this thread say WHAT tools to use, and HOW to apply them in order to get the results mentioned in the above reply?

Yes! I would definitely love to know what kind of Tools to use and How I should apply them...

May 08 10 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Miss Lexi Photo

Townsville, Queensland, Australia

I really like it smile
Perhaps the flyaways could go? I find them a little distracting

May 08 10 06:22 pm Link

Retoucher

y2cute

San Francisco, California, US

I really like the sharpness smile

May 08 10 09:05 pm Link

Model

cocokailee

Lexi Gorton wrote:
I really like it smile
Perhaps the flyaways could go? I find them a little distracting

Thank you! smile Yeah, I did notice the flyaways were pretty distracting too, but I kind of just left them the way they were on purpose; because I was focusing more on getting the skin and makeup right. I definitely plan to go in and see what I can do about removing them though! I think then it might be safe to call it a well-rounded first attempt?

May 08 10 11:54 pm Link

Model

cocokailee

And thank you y2cute! big_smile

May 08 10 11:55 pm Link

Retoucher

XKRetouch

Boston, Massachusetts, US

It's pretty good for a first attempt!

I'd like to emphasize the "smoothing the skin on the forehead" thing, it's quite distracting. A lot of the shadows could be smoothed out as well. Also, the right side of the skin on her face (our left) is slightly too magenta for the rest of the image. Maybe use selective hue/saturation to take care of it?

May 09 10 12:02 am Link

Retoucher

XKRetouch

KN Smith wrote:
Thank you! I tried to not to over-do it too much--the skin smoothing especially, because I didn't want to come out looking like I was plastic, or like a cartoon or something. So I'm very glad to see you use the word 'subtle' haha smile

When I say smoothing (and I'm guessing that's what the poster meant too) I'm not referring to using blur or another tool to make the skin look smooth. If you look at the image, there are noticeable dark and light bulges on the shadows part of the forehead that make the skin look not uniform that AREN'T pores (which is what you want to keep the texture of).

May 09 10 12:04 am Link

Model

cocokailee

XKRetouch wrote:
It's pretty good for a first attempt!

I'd like to emphasize the "smoothing the skin on the forehead" thing, it's quite distracting. A lot of the shadows could be smoothed out as well. Also, the skin on her face is slightly too magenta. Maybe use selective hue/saturation to take care of it?

XKRetouch wrote:
When I say smoothing (and I'm guessing that's what the poster meant too) I'm not referring to using blur or another tool to make the skin look smooth. If you look at the image, there are noticeable dark and light bulges on the shadows part of the forehead that make the skin look not uniform that AREN'T pores (which is what you want to keep the texture of).

THAT'S what I'm looking for! Thank you so much! While I appreciate the kind words from everybody, I've been waiting for someone to really explain to me in detail what/how to achieve the right look, so I appreciate it a lot that you took the time to do that. Thank you, thank you, thank you! smile That being said, I can definitely see the things that you're talking about now. I didn't really before, but since you pointed them out, it's much more visible to me now. I will definitely try to smooth the shadows on the forehead out. I didn't really notice the magenta undertones either, but I do now... Perhaps if I did a mask and switched up the levels, that might work?

May 09 10 12:10 am Link

Retoucher

XKRetouch

KN Smith wrote:
THAT'S what I'm looking for! Thank you so much! While I appreciate the kind words from everybody, I've been waiting for someone to really explain to me in detail what/how to achieve the right look, so I appreciate it a lot that you took the time to do that. Thank you, thank you, thank you! smile That being said, I can definitely see the things that you're talking about now. I didn't really before, but since you pointed them out, it's much more visible to me now. I will definitely try to smooth the shadows on the forehead out. I didn't really notice the magenta undertones either, but I do now... Perhaps if I did a mask and switched up the levels, that might work?

No problem smile

I wouldn't do levels per-se. Try hue/saturation adjustments layer, change the setting to the magenta, change the hue a little, and use a low opacity brush to mask it in.

It's all good. Part of retouching is having the eye to see those little things. Another thing that helps is to put it away for a few hours, do something else, and come back to it. That way your eyes are no longer adjusted to the image, and you'll see things that you've missed before smile

May 09 10 12:15 am Link

Model

Aswald

Detroit, Michigan, US

How did you get this sooo sharp??

May 09 10 08:32 pm Link