Forums > General Industry > What does "20 years of experience" really mean?

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Posted by BQueenGirl: 
either someone sucks or they do not suck.....

experience aside

Yes,  same with a model.  I want to know if they know who to suck well.

Jul 26 05 06:43 pm Link

Model

BQueenGirl

Belleville, Michigan, US

Posted by Jack D Trute: 

Posted by BQueenGirl: 
either someone sucks or they do not suck.....

experience aside

Yes,  same with a model.  I want to know if they know who to suck well.

haha

Jul 26 05 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Athearn

Boulder, Colorado, US

Well, I claim over 40 years of experience, which means I have been shooting and publishing photos for some 40 years. I suppose I could claim 50 years experience since I started taking pictures at age 8.

Jul 26 05 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Posted by marksora: 
Jefro,  from the Beverly Hillbillies claimed he was very educated.  Yes,  in a way.   But he had a six grade education.

You forgot the best part, he was educated "at Oxford." This later turned out to be a one room schoolhouse near which cows and oxen forded a stream.

Jul 26 05 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

jerry125

Fort Myers, Florida, US

What a great post!!  Years ago I worked for a man that taught me to look for the difference between someone that has one years experience 20 times, and someone with 20 years experience.  The rules of composition, years of art school don't really make a photographer, there are more great photographers that never saw the inside of a classroom than those that did.  Having the "eye", creating a feeling, are things that some people are blessed with and others struggle for years trying to develop.

Jul 26 05 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

MikeyBoy

Milltown, Wisconsin, US

Posted by theda: 
I have 20 years of expereince. Not telling in what, though.

Theda.... Can I have 3 guesses ? smile~~

Jul 26 05 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

Belair

Downers Grove, Illinois, US

I'm becoming aroused by this thread.

Jul 26 05 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel Hice Image Works

Kennesaw, Georgia, US

Hell I have 26 years of experience and on September 1st I will have 27 years. Yeah for birthdays wink

I have held a camera since December 2004 and I couldn't be happier to be a newbie. Will I grace the cover of Vouge with a cover shot this month...ya right...but I am learning quick and getting more and more work by the day. When the day comes that I have held a camera for 20 years I hope to still have my newbie approach to life. I take pride in being a very open and inviting photographer, always wanting input on my work, wanting to hear the models ideas and desires for a shoot and never being a set in stone prick. As my port says, you will either like my work or you won't, it doesn't matter if I have been shooting 20 days or 20 years.

Jul 26 05 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

It means not much.

I've been shooting for 20 or so years. But I haven't been doing it every day and I haven't been doing it very hard. Take a look at someone with less than 2 years' experience who has been doing it really hard and who is just unbelievably good:
Natalie Shau on Photo.net

I don't think the amount of time you spend working on photography is the important factor. It's the amount of your soul you spend working on your photography.

mjr.

Jul 26 05 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by Hugh  Jorgen: 
After shooting film for many years you just know what the exposures are..
Or at least i do... no light meter needed..never used one!!

Even with Strobes!!

Any of the old timers agree?

Not at all.  There's no way I can guess the exposure down to a 1/10 of a stop.  You either.

Paul

Jul 26 05 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

1/10th stop?  I can't adjust strobe power anywhere near that delicately.  And anyway, can you even see the difference 1/10th stop makes.  Without the two photos side by side?  And even if the answer is yes, shouldn't that be a decision made in post?

Jul 27 05 12:32 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

And shouldn't this be 1/25th of a page such that one can see the previous post?

Jul 27 05 12:33 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
try an experiment joey..put away your digital camera and see if you can create the same images with a film camera

I started with a film camera... my F100.

i deal with are still requiring medium format chromes..no manipulation allowed

I also have medium format experience.  Bronica and Mamiya.

i count on my experience a great deal..there are some guys that would be lost..if they couldn't chimp..

Well that's good, but for the most... experience still doesn't mean shit.

smile

Jul 27 05 02:41 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by Brian Diaz: 
1/10th stop?  I can't adjust strobe power anywhere near that delicately.  And anyway, can you even see the difference 1/10th stop makes.  Without the two photos side by side?  And even if the answer is yes, shouldn't that be a decision made in post?

You probably can't see 1/10 but you can definitely see 1/3.  Both my meter and my lights are adjustable in 1/10 stop increments so why not?

Paul

Jul 27 05 04:08 am Link

Photographer

Belair

A tenth of a stop here...a tenth of a stop there...after a while, it begins to add up.  And I'm serious about that.

Jul 27 05 06:16 am Link

Photographer

Belair

Quite honestly, I don't think that most of the folks who put stuff like "25 years of experience" on their profiles are trying to make some sort of profound statement, or even imply some sort of superior ability.  I think, for the most part, they're just trying to indicate that they have an active commitment to the craft.

However, ponder a profile that says...

"25 years experience in shooting portraits"

versus...

"I got a camera last week for my birthday and I want to start taking pictures of models."

Would they both elicit the same reaction from a model browsing the profiles?

Jul 27 05 06:20 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

Posted by Belair: 
Quite honestly, I don't think that most of the folks who put stuff like "25 years of experience" on their profiles are trying to make some sort of profound statement, or even imply some sort of superior ability.  I think, for the most part, they're just trying to indicate that they have an active commitment to the craft.

However, ponder a profile that says...

"25 years experience in shooting portraits"

versus...

"I got a camera last week for my birthday and I want to start taking pictures of models."

Would they both elicit the same reaction from a model browsing the profiles?

Understanding that taking pride in what ones does doesn't have to be a number or is it that us old folk are  putting anyone down..trust me it's the sharing of knowledge which leads us all to be better at what we  do. The ego is such a driven factor as any artist will known....it's knowing when what you say has some importance and when to just shut your mouth...this is not in anyway a direction to your statement....As that over 25yrs of experience I take pride in that I enjoy what I do now more than I did some 25yrs ago....so not every old folk shooter like me is about ego....but without that you are just another shooter aimlessy waiting for that voice

Jul 27 05 06:38 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

"20 years experience" as in 20 yeras of experience in doing the same thing over and over... regardless of it's good or bad work.

Jul 27 05 07:13 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

Posted by Reese: 
"20 years experience" as in 20 yeras of experience in doing the same thing over and over... regardless of it's good or bad work.

So! True Reese

Jul 27 05 07:16 am Link

Photographer

GotTheLook Photographer

Allentown, Pennsylvania, US

I just fell upon this post... lol it fits me to a tee. I started photography when I was 22 or so (I am now 38). Granted, not quite 20 years, but the point is that I had to stop shooting for several years due to an auto accident. So I believe some people who stop for a period of time tend to include that time into there "actual" shooting frame.
I tell people I have shooting since my early 20's but, stopped for a few years (auto acc.) and I am getting back into it again.

Gary

Jul 27 05 09:06 am Link