Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > Heavily shopped image--bad for port or no?

Model

northern_siren_model

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Hey folks, I'm a big fan of messing with photoshop to make art, and I really like an image I just did (with photographers express permission to use however I like) but I don't know if it's too much for my portfolio here, or makes me look unprofessional.  Any thoughts are welcome!

https://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f348/lovingcupgirl/mm/edit-2.jpg

May 18 10 07:28 am Link

Retoucher

FLEXmero

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

When potential clients look at your port, they want to see how well you will fit in their productions. I think that image will not help you at all. I'm talking as an active photoshop professional.

May 18 10 07:30 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

Make 3 more and open yourself a wizard account wink

May 18 10 07:32 am Link

Model

northern_siren_model

FLEXmanta wrote:
When potential clients look at your port, they want to see how well you will fit in their productions. I think that image will not help you at all. I'm talking as an active photoshop professional.

that's exactly the feedback I was looking for, just b/c I like it doesn't mean it belongs here.  I just get excited when I make something new smile

May 18 10 07:32 am Link

Photographer

PhotodiZiac

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I say keep it to yourself. simply because it doesn't service the purpose.

May 18 10 07:33 am Link

Model

northern_siren_model

Koray wrote:
Make 3 more and open yourself a wizard account wink

Oh I got a hundred more wink  My problem is I just like to do digital paintings, retouching photos in a NORMAL way is way less fun!

May 18 10 07:33 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

northern_siren_model wrote:

Oh I got a hundred more wink  My problem is I just like to do digital paintings, retouching photos in a NORMAL way is way less fun!

trust me I know big_smile

May 18 10 07:34 am Link

Model

northern_siren_model

PhotodiZiac wrote:
I say keep it to yourself. simply because it doesn't service the purpose.

yeah I started by doing just basic retouching to the pic, and it spiraled off from there. I'll peel back all the layers and effects and go back to the basic retouched pic, which is still a good one. thank you for responding!

May 18 10 07:35 am Link

Photographer

PhotodiZiac

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Koray wrote:

trust me I know big_smile

trust him- he does indeed wink

May 18 10 07:36 am Link

Digital Artist

Nathanfx

Chelsea, New York, US

If its in taste I would say so

May 18 10 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

Will it hurt or help? Depends. What are your goals?

May 18 10 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Aiken, South Carolina, US

I don't think editing is your strength.  You do very good, original work at any rate though.

May 18 10 09:54 pm Link

Digital Artist

Eithne Ni Anluain

Dundalk, Louth, Ireland

um...um....ok for port work - no. It's not good enough IMO.

Right gonna say it: Just because we have 100 images doesn't mean we use them. Pick the best 10 and go with those. I understand being excited, but that doesn't mean ye post it if it 1) doesn't fit in someplace in the folio and 2) the works below average. If ye do a particularly good image this week rotate the folio so its fresh. But only use excellent edits. 3 good ones is better than 20 average ones.

As Koray said open a PS account.

re shatter effects - Think where the shatter effect is and the way behind that the image will distort (like a shattered mirror) and distort the image accordingly.

May 24 10 02:46 am Link