Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > Freckles: Hit or Miss?

Retoucher

J Strath

Los Angeles, California, US

Okie doke, so I just did an edit last night on someone with freckles.  I didn't want to earase them...I just wanted to clean up the skin.  So what do you think?  Did it turn out okay?  Does it not work to have skin super clean yet still with marks?  What is your opinion and critique?
https://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/138/d/5/Freckles_by_HuggleMistress.png

May 18 10 10:48 am Link

Retoucher

Teodor Sirbu

Iaşi, Iaşi, Romania

you burned them? in my opinion the freckels are too poped out;

the freckles from the cheeks looks good , but those from the nose looks to burned

May 18 10 12:57 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Diosa Make Up Artist

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Very clean but I would do a few on the nose especially towards the tip. Esthetically speaking...I love freckles!

May 18 10 01:02 pm Link

Retoucher

J Strath

SirbuT wrote:
you burned them? in my opinion the freckels are too poped out;

the freckles from the cheeks looks good , but those from the nose looks to burned

No, I didn't burn the ones on her noes.  i didn't edit them at all, just cleaned up the skin around them.  I guess they just darkened when I edited the contrast and stuff. XD  Haha, but I guess that means they could use some lightening then. ^_^

Thanks, and glad the ones on her cheeks look good.  Those ones are actually fake though. big_smile

May 18 10 01:49 pm Link

Model

Tara Tied

New York, New York, US

I think it looks great!!
I love freckles and wish mine popped out like on that model smile

You cleaned up the skin very well without taking away too many freckles. it looks very natural even though you added the cheek freckles-freckles on cheeks are usually lighter than freckles over the bridge of the nose

Very nice!

May 18 10 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Tytaniafairy

Evansville, Indiana, US

Trippy Tara wrote:
I think it looks great!!
I love freckles and wish mine popped out like on that model smile

You cleaned up the skin very well without taking away too many freckles. it looks very natural even though you added the cheek freckles-freckles on cheeks are usually lighter than freckles over the bridge of the nose

Very nice!

May 19 10 11:29 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

I like the skin but the sharpness of the forehead and cheek textures bother me alot. I would make them a bit softer compared to the eyes, nose and mouth smile

May 19 10 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Emillie G

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I think it's really cute. Love it.

May 19 10 01:02 pm Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Koray wrote:
I like the skin but the sharpness of the forehead and cheek textures bother me alot. I would make them a bit softer compared to the eyes, nose and mouth smile

THIS

lols Koray... you don't want to accept it but you have retoucher eye smile

And I'd suggest to D&B while looking at the image small. (zoom out)

You have some shadow inconsistencies.
But this is picking really close. You've made a lot of progress very fast.

x

May 19 10 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

Koray wrote:

It also brings out the stray hairs in the eyelashes and across the top right forehead.

As to the freckles, you didn't do it deliberately, but when you sharpened the image, you effectively 'burn'd the freckles.  Aesthetically, I would tone things one way or the other so that they are a bit better match from the nose to the cheek.

May 19 10 06:17 pm Link

Retoucher

J Strath

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:

THIS

lols Koray... you don't want to accept it but you have retoucher eye smile

And I'd suggest to D&B while looking at the image small. (zoom out)

You have some shadow inconsistencies.
But this is picking really close. You've made a lot of progress very fast.

x

Thanks!  Haha, yeah, it's easier to see after not looking at the image for a while. XD  I see the inconsistencies between her eyebrows mostly...the only ones that stick out towards me. 

Except for maybe the shadow on the right side of her mouth?  Originally, I left it because I thought it emphasis the fact that she's sticking her lips out.  But maybe it should just be edited out?  Seeing it with a fresh eye...it's not agreeing with me.  I'll have to try it.  I just don't want to go overboard with it...I want to keep it fairly natural... big_smile

May 19 10 11:10 pm Link

Retoucher

J Strath

SRB Photo wrote:

It also brings out the stray hairs in the eyelashes and across the top right forehead.

As to the freckles, you didn't do it deliberately, but when you sharpened the image, you effectively 'burn'd the freckles.  Aesthetically, I would tone things one way or the other so that they are a bit better match from the nose to the cheek.

Stray hairs......in her lashes or brows?  I'm assuming you mean brows, don't see anything in her lashes. big_smile  I agree though...I'll soften those.  I want to keep them there though....they just too sharp atm. XD

I think I'm going to lighten her nose freckles too....maybe soften those as well?  They're pretty sharp compared to the ones on her cheeks.  Hmmm....we'll see. ^_^

May 19 10 11:15 pm Link

Photographer

Rene de Haan

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

i prefer the original version/skin to the retouched one....

May 19 10 11:18 pm Link

Retoucher

J Strath

Rene de Haan wrote:
i prefer the original version/skin to the retouched one....

Explaining why would be much more helpful for me. smile

May 19 10 11:28 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

HuggleMistress wrote:

Stray hairs......in her lashes or brows?  I'm assuming you mean brows, don't see anything in her lashes. big_smile  I agree though...I'll soften those.  I want to keep them there though....they just too sharp atm. XD

I think I'm going to lighten her nose freckles too....maybe soften those as well?  They're pretty sharp compared to the ones on her cheeks.  Hmmm....we'll see. ^_^

Yes, brows - sorry.  There's a reason I'm not a beauty retoucher lol.

May 20 10 02:28 am Link