Forums > General Industry > Small town girl going goth.....

Model

Holly T Morgan

Garland, Texas, US

Hey gang!!!
This is my first time posting here...I am very excited to be on MM and have gotten some incredible offers...have been told by several photographers that the "goth look" would suit me well and have gotten the chance to do a shoot on aug 16th...i am now desperately seeking ideas for gothic style looks without spending a fortune...i am looking for the sexier lingerie styles...any ideas, link, advice for costumes, makeup, and hair would be greatly appreciated...i have been researching all day and still haven't found anything i like!!! Any ideas on how i could piece together a sexy little ensemble without breaking the bank for the shoot!!! I am very excited about working with this photographer and just want everything to be perfect....HELP!!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE GANG!!!
holly

Jul 26 05 05:06 pm Link

Model

NameRemovedPerUser

Perrysburg, New York, US

First off... smile Go read (you might be able to find it in the library if you don't want to buy it): "What is Goth" by Voltaire (and don't take it seriously, it's a humerous book that sort of pokes fun at what Goth has become... fun read though).

I basically mix and match what I wear with the black clothing I already had in my wardrobe. I have black hair but black hair is not a prerequisite... Makeup on me, I do dark eyes, charcoal liner/smokey look and purple shadow, but I've also like to experiment with other colors too.  Don't rule out going to Salvation Army. You can find some really neat unique peices there.

If you look at my profile you will see one of the outfits I typically wear to my goth shoots or the local goth club. I like to mix and match lingerie pieces, tank tops. Mesh/fishnet is always great (black, red, purple). I often wear arm warmers. If you try the goth look, just make sure you pick an outfit that you really like and suits you well. Otherwise it can look awkward and thrown together and you will not feel confident in it. Another option is to go for the romantic look, dark ballgown/victorian type dress. Corsets also work well. There are tons of Alternative profiles on here, if you look at them you will probably find something outfit wise that will strike you as something you like. That will give you a more definite idea of what you want.

Dark, mysterious, moody.

Jul 26 05 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Eldor

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted by loverofartinallforms: 
Hey gang!!!
This is my first time posting here...I am very excited to be on MM and have gotten some incredible offers...have been told by several photographers that the "goth look" would suit me well and have gotten the chance to do a shoot on aug 16th...i am now desperately seeking ideas for gothic style looks without spending a fortune...i am looking for the sexier lingerie styles...any ideas, link, advice for costumes, makeup, and hair would be greatly appreciated...i have been researching all day and still haven't found anything i like!!! Any ideas on how i could piece together a sexy little ensemble without breaking the bank for the shoot!!! I am very excited about working with this photographer and just want everything to be perfect....HELP!!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE GANG!!!
holly

Hi Holly,

Welcome to MM...

Take this with a grain (or a pound of salt)... as I really don't know much about Goth at all.

But I was under the impression that for most people involved in that, it's almost a way of life rather than a simple costume that someone not "into it" would be able to wear.

In other words, if I decided I wanted to do a Goth-type shoot, I'd find myself a Goth model.  I wouldn't ask someone who's not experienced/into it to play that role, UNLESS it was with an extremely experienced model and I had wardrobe and makeup people along to help with the transformation.

Otherwise the result is very likely to fail.

If there was a model who caught my attention, I'd ask myself WHY she caught my attention and concentrate on a shoot to enhance/emphasize what it was that attracted me to her.  I wouldn't try to make someone into something they're not (within reason of course).

In any case, if this photographer wants to work with you, and has in mind a Gothic look, it's probably the best if you'd ask him what exactly he had in mind.  Without a close colaboration between model and photographer, especially for something like this which isn't "natural" for the model, the result is doomed to fail.

Of course I wish you great success, and if this is really what the photographer wants WITH YOU, then absolutely positively have many detailed conversations with him to find out exactly what is needed.

Bottom line, again in my opinion, is that the most successful shoots result from situations where the model is comfortable and natural.

Best wishes...

Eldor

Jul 26 05 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by Eldor: 
But I was under the impression that for most people involved in that, it's almost a way of life rather than a simple costume that someone not "into it" would be able to wear.

In other words, if I decided I wanted to do a Goth-type shoot, I'd find myself a Goth model.  I wouldn't ask someone who's not experienced/into it to play that role, UNLESS it was with an extremely experienced model and I had wardrobe and makeup people along to help with the transformation.

1000% correct.

Have you ever seen TV shows when they have characters who are supposed to be "punk" and they give them mohawks but have them listening to heavy metal?

People who try to "look the part" of a subculture but know nothing about it end up looking like, well, Al Jolson.

https://www.thebluehammer.com/images/aljolson.jpg

Jul 26 05 09:24 pm Link

Model

Samantha Smead

Clive, Iowa, US

Posted by Eldor: 
Take this with a grain (or a pound of salt)... as I really don't know much about Goth at all.

If there was a model who caught my attention, I'd ask myself WHY she caught my attention and concentrate on a shoot to enhance/emphasize what it was that attracted me to her.  I wouldn't try to make someone into something they're not (within reason of course).

In any case, if this photographer wants to work with you, and has in mind a Gothic look, it's probably the best if you'd ask him what exactly he had in mind.  Without a close colaboration between model and photographer, especially for something like this which isn't "natural" for the model, the result is doomed to fail.

Of course I wish you great success, and if this is really what the photographer wants WITH YOU, then absolutely positively have many detailed conversations with him to find out exactly what is needed.

Bottom line, again in my opinion, is that the most successful shoots result from situations where the model is comfortable and natural.

Best wishes...

Eldor

I completely agree with this.  I am goth as well as a gothic model and its true that there is more then just darning the black and acting the cliches.  There is an over all mood difference in a gothic shoot with a true gothic model versus a fashion shoot or others. 

-Samantha

Jul 26 05 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Dearest Lover O' Fart.
Okay, I don't have anything to say.
I just wanted to make the Lover O' Fart joke before anyone else.

Jul 26 05 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by loverofartinallforms: 
Hey gang!!!

goth... is an ...
attidude. of
--sadness--
tinged with black lace flutters of ...
teenage despair. and bad poetry. never capitalizing, either.

you use '!' symbols of excitement. how...
--un-goth--
you need to realize you are
-alone-
utterly...
-alone-

Joking aside, check out sites like kambriel, azrael's accomplice, lithium picnic, gothicsluts.com and blue blood magazine. You can do the "goth look" if you're not goth by just being as pretentiously doomed as you can be. watch 'The Hunger' before your shoot 4 times through and listen to Bauhaus' "bela lugosi's dead" on infinite repeat as you sleep. You'll get it.

mjr.

Jul 26 05 09:35 pm Link

Model

Samantha Smead

Clive, Iowa, US

Try listening to Crux Shadows and watching Ginger Snaps.  Read Gothic Beauty magazine.  Or hmmmm ransack some halloween stuff lol j/k on the last one.

-Samantha

Jul 26 05 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

You know what?
Goth is fuckin' dead as dead, man.
So fuck goth.
I'm goin' Zombie.
Straight-up, gangsta' Zombie.
It's the wave of the future, ya'll.
Zombies for life.  Or death.  Whatever.

Jul 26 05 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Posted by BlacklistVisual: 
You know what?
Goth is fuckin' dead as dead, man.
So fuck goth.
I'm goin' Zombie.
It's the wave of the future, ya'll.
Zombies for life.  Or death.  Whatever.

Zombies are the latest and greatest threats to our computers!  It's a program uploaded that will wait for a long time until a launch command is given by the one who planted it. You would never even know it was there! 

It's different than a trojan.

Jul 26 05 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

Dude, if you could see the image that gave me when I read it... I was picturing some homeboy zombies kinda hanging with their pants down and weeds sticking out of their underwear, with bling-bling covered in mud and brains from their victims.. filthy ball caps on backwards, 9mm in each hand (held sideways, of course)... shuffling down the street toward their victims, "Yooooooooooo...  Yooooooooooo..."  waving gang-signs with their fingers-missing hands. maybe their sneakers are still perfectly white.

mjr.

Jul 26 05 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

For somebody who claims to not know much about goth, Eldor has pretty much nailed it.  You can't fake it.  That's exactly the problem; too many of the people doing goth don't have a clue.

This rant is just warming up.  As somebody who was there in the beginning... check out my photos of Bauhaus and Nick Cave from 1981, on my main website... much of what I see even in so-called goth clubs today makes me want to puke.  The music is, generally, a vast improvement, much more subtle and nuanced, relative to what we had to work with back when it was just another spin off of punk, what we sometimes called the movement with no name back before all the labels were applied.  But too often today it's become a superficial fashion show and little more.  The original ideas have been lost or hidden.  Except that some people just seem to get it naturally and immediately, and the paradox is that if goth didn't exist, they'd simply invent something like it.

So... come into the darkness, if you dare.  If you really want to understand, get yourself a copy of Gothic:  four hundred years of excess, horror, evil, and ruin, by Richard Davenport-Hines, North Point Press.  Read it.  Read some of the other things he references (the Voltaire book is fun, too).  Listen to the music.  Then think about it for a while.  If it's in you, everything will be fine.  But you can't fake the edge, you need to live it.  A trip to Hot Topic isn't enough, really, trust me (in fact I think it's ironic that kids today buy pre-packaged rebellion from a corporation).  Goth is in the head, it's an idea, an attitude.

OK, now go for it, if you still want to.  Just be aware it's not a game.  If you go deep enough, it will change you.  But then, rebels are my favorite people.

Jul 26 05 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Posted by Marcus J. Ranum: 
Dude, if you could see the image that gave me when I read it... I was picturing some homeboy zombies kinda hanging with their pants down and weeds sticking out of their underwear, with bling-bling covered in mud and brains from their victims.. filthy ball caps on backwards, 9mm in each hand (held sideways, of course)... shuffling down the street toward their victims, "Yooooooooooo...  Yooooooooooo..."  waving gang-signs with their fingers-missing hands. maybe their sneakers are still perfectly white.

mjr.

Wow.
Your visual was way cooler than mine.
I just wanted to be a fiend.  But I'll take your vision of the future.
It's cooler.

Jul 26 05 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Posted by Ken Mierzwa: OK, now go for it, if you still want to.  Just be aware it's not a game.  If you go deep enough, it will change you...

That's right, lady.
BEWARE.
It's not a game.
Not at all.
Not like "Chutes and Ladders"...
That's a game.
But not goth...
No siree.
Dressing up in retarded clothes and bitching about how fake everyone else is is not a game...
It will change you... if you go deep enough.
Chutes and Ladders won't change you.  No matter how deep you go... cause it's a game.
But not goth.
Nope.
This is serious shit.
I've read Johnny the Homicidal Maniac... I know what it's like.
The devil is in the details, you know.
So don't go to deep...
Danger, danger.

Jul 26 05 10:38 pm Link

Model

Samantha Smead

Clive, Iowa, US

That's right, lady.
BEWARE.
It's not a game.
Not at all.
That's a game.
But not goth...
No siree.
Dressing up in retarded clothes and bitching about how fake everyone else is is not a game...
Chutes and Ladders won't change you.  No matter how deep you go... cause it's a game.
But not goth.
Nope.
This is serious shit.
So don't go to deep...
Danger, danger.

....You know some people do not appreciate people mocking others.

Jul 26 05 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

You know, some people don't give a damn.

Jul 26 05 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by paleosam: 

That's right, lady.
BEWARE.
It's not a game.
Not at all.
That's a game.
But not goth...
No siree.
But not goth.
Nope.
This is serious shit.
So don't go to deep...
Danger, danger.

I appreciate everyone being mocked. Especailly when the people being mocked are people who do not appreciate people mocking people who are being mocked who ... um ... mocked someone ... who ... doesn't appreciate ... being mocked by, uh, people.

Jul 26 05 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

You know, some people don't give a damn.

You are such a gangsta zombie you!

mjr.

Jul 26 05 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

It's great how fast things get funny.

Jul 26 05 10:54 pm Link

Model

Holly T Morgan

Garland, Texas, US

aaahhhhh....my dearest friend eldor....you found me.

Thank you for yet again, the wonderful advice...I am going to do the research long beforehand to see if I can pull this off...You know me, no shoot goes without tons of preparation, and this is no different. Had it just been one photographer say HEY...you should do goth, I would probably not even think about it twice, but he is not the only one who has brought it to my attention. Whether we are able to create usable images or not, it will be yet another experience to learn from...

til we meet again my friend
holly

Jul 27 05 12:12 am Link

Model

Holly T Morgan

Garland, Texas, US

Ya know???

I feel right at home here....

holly

Jul 27 05 12:13 am Link

Model

Holly T Morgan

Garland, Texas, US

Dearest Lover O' Fart.
Okay, I don't have anything to say.
I just wanted to make the Lover O' Fart joke before anyone else.

ha ha ha very funny...didn't see that until now...

think i need to change my name....

thanks for the heads up,
holly

Jul 27 05 12:14 am Link

Model

Holly T Morgan

Garland, Texas, US

Posted by paleosam: 

That's right, lady.
BEWARE.
It's not a game.
Not at all.
That's a game.
But not goth...
No siree.
But not goth.
Nope.
This is serious shit.
So don't go to deep...
Danger, danger.

***doesn't bother me one bit***

Jul 27 05 12:16 am Link

Model

Holly T Morgan

Garland, Texas, US

It's great how fast things get funny.

yes it sure is...these threads take on a  life of their own...that is what makes them great...

holly

Jul 27 05 12:18 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by paleosam: 

That's right, lady....

To paraphrase a great philosopher, "A person who won't be mocked, can't be mocked."

I don't consider myself a Goth (although there are people who do) and I certainly don't dress Goth. But I like the music (except the really whiny stuff) and I love the look and I am fortunate enough to have several Gothic models as friends.

Most of 'em wouldn't give a tinker's damn what the fellow from Mormon-land thinks about them. In fact, they'd find him very Amusing. I know I do. He does have a point, and a funny one too. Whether or not he knows that there's more to Goth than what he's so ably making fun of is irrelevant to whether he's doing it well. smile

M

Jul 27 05 09:19 am Link

Model

Holly T Morgan

Garland, Texas, US

Posted by StMarc: 

Posted by paleosam: 

That's right, lady....

To paraphrase a great philosopher, "A person who won't be mocked, can't be mocked."

**very nice** I like that one...
One thing I have learned since beginning to post here and on OMP is to be able to read through all the *crap*, for lack of better terms, in a post....and pull out any and all relevant information...the rest is just used for entertainment purposes...lol

thanks for the post...
off to studying...
holly

Jul 27 05 09:29 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

If you're just looking for visual inspiration, try browsing various goth/alt modelling sites like: http://www.wickedtalent.com

Jul 27 05 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Josie Nutter: 
If you're just looking for visual inspiration, try browsing various goth/alt modelling sites like: http://www.wickedtalent.com

I hear that site has a ROCKIN' webmistress, too!

You can also look at:

http://www.gothicbeauty.com

Which has lots of links as well.

M

Jul 27 05 03:30 pm Link

Model

Just Cat

Santa Barbara, California, US

Posted by Ken Mierzwa: 
A trip to Hot Topic isn't enough, really, trust me (in fact I think it's ironic that kids today buy pre-packaged rebellion from a corporation).

For some reason, a lot of the people who shop there don't seem to appreciate being told that it is run by the same people who own the GAP.

Jul 28 05 04:00 pm Link

Model

Tanya O

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted by paleosam: 

That's right, lady.
BEWARE.
It's not a game.
Not at all.
That's a game.
But not goth...
No siree.
But not goth.
Nope.
This is serious shit.
So don't go to deep...
Danger, danger.

I don't care. If people can't poke fun at themselves, what's left? 

If anyone was a true gothic anyway, I think they'd be more pissed about their homeland being sacked by Rome than about mockery.

Jul 28 05 09:06 pm Link