Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > The difference between "editing" and "retouching"

Photographer

MisterC

Portland, Oregon, US

Le Beck Photography wrote:
Culling may alter the appearance of a body of works, but not an individual piece.

So if I remove blemishes from a certain piece of work, is that not culling?

And aren't we all aware that some words have a practical use that deviates from it's textbook meaning? I may drink a Pepsi while calling it a "Coke" and no one cares.

Jun 11 10 10:21 am Link

Retoucher

Stephanie Hart

Los Angeles, California, US

As

Jun 11 10 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Brian Morris Photography

Paul Byun wrote:
Many people misuse these terms and get them all mixed up. Some may argue that these two terms mean the same thing, however they are not the same thing.

The difference between these terms may be subjective or objective. I will leave that up for you to decide.

In my knowledge, editing is a process of making a selection and organizing a set of photographs. It has nothing to do with actual manipulation that happens in Photoshop. Retouching is a correct term to describe the process of enhancing an image . Anywhere from simple color adjustments to complex compositing.

What do you guys think these terms mean?

I will just say that you don't know what you're talking about!

Your limited knowledge has failed u

Sorry not trying to be mean but its a little more complicated than simple, for a reason!

Jun 11 10 10:50 am Link

Photographer

pub

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

Digital Soup wrote:
I will just say that you don't know what you're talking about!

Your limited knowledge has failed u

Sorry not trying to be mean but its a little more complicated than simple, for a reason!

You are just jealous cause my avator's prettier than yours

Jun 11 10 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

rey sison photography

Paul Byun wrote:
Many people misuse these terms and get them all mixed up. Some may argue that these two terms mean the same thing, however they are not the same thing.

The difference between these terms may be subjective or objective. I will leave that up for you to decide.

In my knowledge, editing is a process of making a selection and organizing a set of photographs. It has nothing to do with actual manipulation that happens in Photoshop. Retouching is a correct term to describe the process of enhancing an image . Anywhere from simple color adjustments to complex compositing.

Assuming you are correct, do you have some official guide on photography and photoshop lexicon that we can use as a reference.

BTW, the phrase is "to my knowledge" not "in my knowledge."

Jun 12 10 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

IsaacMitchellEvolution

Lithonia, Georgia, US

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:
It doesn't really matters

So True. What's in a name. A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet. LOL.

Jun 15 10 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

RSM-images

Jacksonville, Florida, US

To "edit" is to "delete".

When a Hollywood film is edited, the film that will not be released to the theaters is deleted/removed.

When an editor of a magazine/newspaper edits a story/column, the irrelevant, verbose, and non-grammatical parts are deleted.

Photo editors of magazines and newspapers edit (delete) images that will *not* be presented in their publication.

The same is done with images by photographers: the ones that will not be kept are edited (deleted).

Don't trust the nitternet -- typically the nitternet is full of poor diction (word choice).

Jun 15 10 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

MLRPhoto

Olivet, Michigan, US

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:
It doesn't really matters

It matters when one party thinks they're getting something they aren't. 

Client: "Is editing included in that price?"

Photographer: "Of course." (thinking in terms of deleting blinks, flash misfires and the like).

Could easily lead to problems when the client is presented with a separate quote for "retouching" the images.

Jun 15 10 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

RSM-images wrote:
Don't trust the nitternet -- typically the nitternet is full of poor diction (word choice).

Absolutely. Such as creating artificial words instead of using words which actually have meaning.

RSM-images wrote:
When an editor of a magazine/newspaper edits a story/column, the irrelevant, verbose, and non-grammatical parts are deleted.

When an editor of a magazine/newspaper/book edits a story/column/novel, the contents are rearranged, grammar is corrected, and undesirable parts are deleted.

Cherry-picking works both ways. (Of course, cherry picking and dropping nonsensical sound-bites is so much easier than actually thinking, debating, teaching, or learning.)

Editing has had a lot of similar usages over the past 500 years, and it's best to provide context when using it, especially in areas where there are multiple definitions which can lead to confusion.

Jun 15 10 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

RSM-images wrote:

When a Hollywood film is edited, the film that will not be released to the theaters is deleted/removed.

Film editing is more about juxtaposing and creating context than deleting.

Kuleshov edited together a short film in which a shot of the expressionless face of Tsarist matinee idol Ivan Mozzhukhin was alternated with various other shots (a plate of soup, a woman, a little girl's coffin).

Vsevolod Pudovkin described in 1929 how the audience "raved about the acting.... the heavy pensiveness of his mood over the forgotten soup, were touched and moved by the deep sorrow with which he looked on the dead child, and noted the lust with which he observed the woman. But we knew that in all three cases the face was exactly the same."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuleshov_Experiment

Jun 16 10 12:38 am Link

Retoucher

Pixels 2 Pixels

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

RSM-images wrote:

Photo editors of magazines and newspapers edit (delete) images that will *not* be presented in their publication.

The same is done with images by photographers: the ones that will not be kept are edited (deleted).

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … st13068859

Jun 16 10 05:03 am Link

Photographer

pub

word up

Jun 21 10 10:11 am Link

Retoucher

Stans Mods

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

Kit Kat Kadillac wrote:
I always thought of editing as a more in depth retouching. Retouching being slight corrections like brightness/contrast adjustment or slight complexion corrections, with editing including touch ups like editing model's size, etc.

Just my $0.02 .

hmmm yeah same thought as me.
but retouching can vary in time and quality also.

Jun 21 10 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Wildcat Photography

Valparaiso, Indiana, US

Paramour Productions wrote:
Squares and rectangles...

All retouching is editing, but not all editing is retouching.

+5

IMHO!

Jun 21 10 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Neil Snape

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Paul Byun wrote:

As another said editing I can do in LightRoom. I edit colour , density, sharpness etc. Photoshop is used for pixel pushing, things like removing zits, filling in areas I missed or couldn't avoid.

I use both but editing is the most important and most fun. Photoshop retouching is highly technical and boring.

Jun 21 10 10:29 am Link

Retoucher

IdontKnowIForgot

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

I'm pretty sure the two words mean both the same
but personally
I get annyoed when people use the word edit, when talking about retouching to me, I dunno it just botheres me, because retouching to me, is like fixing what is allready there
while, editing to me is, adding, painting or making people into things like animals lol.

Its strange, but thats my opinion on the matter smile

Jun 21 10 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Traditionally, the editing of photographs consisted of separating the 'keepers' from the 'rejects'.

Editors would take the images that photographers would submit to them and pull out the best ones for use or publication. That process was called 'Editing"

Retouching was not considered editing and was generally done by specialized 'retouchers' and usually not the photographer.

In todays digital world, the definition of 'editing' includes the process of 'rearrangement or modification or deletion of data' . . . and digital data is actualized in the form of 'pixels'

. . . the process has been loosely interpreted to include what was formerly known as 'retouching'

These days, photographers are assumed to have some basic retouching skills and are often asked to 'edit' their own photos.

I agree with the premise that MikeRobisonPhotos proposed that the use of the term 'edit' could cause some confusion with a client that is expecting retouching and only receives 'un-retouched', but 'edited' images.

KM

Jun 21 10 10:40 am Link

Photographer

wynnesome

Long Beach, California, US

Not everyone comes from the industry background where "editing" means "selecting particular shots."

If you tell a model you're going to "edit" her set, and then send over unretouched selections, you are likely to have a very ticked off model, and it's your own fault for using a term in a way you KNOW is not the meaning the average person ascribes to it.

Choose your words for your audience.  If you're discussing in a context where it's assumed that "editing" is the selection process, great.  If not, you had better define the term to the person you're talking to before you use it that way.

Unless you're just trying to show that you know more than someone else, and then by all means, refrain from using language that communicates the intended meaning in the clearest manner.

Jun 21 10 10:45 am Link

Photographer

pub

wynnesome wrote:
Not everyone comes from the industry background where "editing" means "selecting particular shots."

If you tell a model you're going to "edit" her set, and then send over unretouched selections, you are likely to have a very ticked off model, and it's your own fault for using a term in a way you KNOW is not the meaning the average person ascribes to it.

Choose your words for your audience.  If you're discussing in a context where it's assumed that "editing" is the selection process, great.  If not, you had better define the term to the person you're talking to before you use it that way.

Unless you're just trying to show that you know more than someone else, and then by all means, refrain from using language that communicates the intended meaning in the clearest manner.

Good point dude.

cheers.

Jun 26 10 11:38 am Link

Retoucher

Virtuoso Skins

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Edit can be ambiguous and confusing to some people. Retouching is very specific and won't be confused.

So use retouching if you want to be clear smile

Jun 27 10 12:29 pm Link

Retoucher

Chaviit0

Wenatchee, Washington, US

We need some examples! xD

Jun 27 10 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

As the Internet flourishes, so has the rapid adoption of terminology which may not be exactly "Webster".

Case in point. Ask any model what edited photos are, and most will tell you tey are photos that have had any number of changes made including retouching.

Like it or not, that's the way it is.  No matter to me either way.

Jun 27 10 12:33 pm Link

Retoucher

Krunoslav Stifter

Santa Cruz, California, US

Retouching Vs. Editing

I'm not sure that there is a an international concencus about the difference in terminology. Here is my dilemma. In my experience people from different backgrounds have different understanding of the terms. And some use it interchangeably. I personally think that as long as everyone involved understand what they need to do, it doesn't really matter. If we are gonna define the term in order to avoid misunderstanding I like this explanation:
http://www.exposingfashion.com/2009/10/ … etouching/

Most of this has already been stated so I'm just putting my 2 cents in the bucket since I had a recent discussion about it.

May 04 11 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

Swank Photography

Key West, Florida, US

Trancedelic Retouching wrote:
Edit: to alter, adapt, or refine especially to bring about conformity to a standard or to suit a particular purpose.

Isn't that what retouching is?  Meh, just a lot of pretty words that all pretty much mean the same thing.

This.

OP I'm not that anal to separate the two terms. To me I see them both as the same thing and for those who wish to be that anal about the term(s)...more power to you.

I don't have time for that hot mess.

May 04 11 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

Andy Pearlman

Paul Byun wrote:

I basically agree with this. After 30 years of dealing with photo editors at ad agencies, clients and magazines, none of whom ever "retouched" a photo of mine (in fact, they usually send them out to a "retoucher"), I've kind of got "photo editor" defined as "selection of images".  Also, I note here on MM, the folks who describe themselves as people who manipulate individual images are listed as "retouchers", not editors. On the other hand, Adobe does use the word "edit" in some instances to describe what PS can do with with individual images. So I think the line is blurred, but I know what the terms mean to me. The trick now is making sure inexperienced clients know what I mean when I say it to them.

May 04 11 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Avalos Photography

Woodland, California, US

semantics of the early majority!
innovators don't care, early adopters care little.

Editing: text?  maybe metadata.
Post-processing : anything associated after capture to final product.
Retouching: Beauty and glamor post process.

May 06 11 10:48 am Link

Retoucher

PixelPurfect

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Photoshop is an image editing program, Lightroom is an image management program.  Yes Lightroom can be used for so much more including image editing and it seems that the OP may be using *edit* to mean select.

As usual, I'm with Natalia, it doesn't really matter, as with so many words in the English language, they can not be fully understood without context.

David

May 06 11 11:19 am Link

Photographer

RobertGaliano

Gulfport, Mississippi, US

i thought editing  was working on the pics, and re-touching was when you touch a model... again.

May 06 11 11:30 am Link

Retoucher

K Retouching

Sacramento, California, US

I think it really just depends on your definition of the words, which seems to be relative. Words can have many different meanings so it's understandable when people get them mixed up or confused.

If it has been or could be a problem, just make sure to define what you mean when you talk about editing/retouching on your websites.

May 06 11 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

MamboPhoto

Aylesbury, England, United Kingdom

David Richelieu wrote:
Yes Paul well topiced. It does rile me when people wrongly overuse the term 'editing' thinking it means the whole of post-production.

Editing is as you describe it. Then there's processing. And retouching. All wrapped up in the blanket phrase post-production. Can it really be so hard, as so many seem to find it, to even get beyond the proper use of terminology.

Well I use the term 'editing' more than 'retouching'.

Choosing which images to alter in PS I would call 'selecting', not 'editing'.

Does that rile you? Too bad.

May 06 11 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i think you have to be careful about this for things like a wedding. who has time to do a full-on mayhem-style beauty retouch on a thousand images? so what the bride gets will be something less (how much less seems to vary by photographer) than full beauty retouching. i've seen the term "color correction" being used on price lists but just syncing WB isn't much in the way of an edit IMHO.

from a workflow standpoint for me it's just faster if i can stay in lightroom but only so much i can do with it. so i somehow have to convey to the client what lightroom can (and cannot do) in terms of what they will be getting. or i have to break down and use photoshop on at least some of the images and bump my price accordingly. and/or use batch actions which is what i have been doing.

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
I agree with the premise that MikeRobisonPhotos proposed that the use of the term 'edit' could cause some confusion with a client that is expecting retouching and only receives 'un-retouched', but 'edited' images.

May 06 11 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

David Hirsh

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Lee Andre wrote:
+2

+3

My clients all use the word 'editing' when asking about photos I am retouching for them. I used to correct them, but started feeling like a pompous ass who was trying to belittle people in a petty manner. Editing is close enough of a term to describe the process of retouching. The dictionary backs this up.

cheers,

David Hirsh

May 06 11 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

In photography Editing means culling (choosing/sorting the photographs), Retouching means post production, enhancing and altering the image.

A magazine editor chooses the images that will be going in the magazine, a retoucher does the post production/enhancements and alterations on said photos.

May 06 11 03:22 pm Link

Retoucher

PixelPurfect

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

A-M-P wrote:
In photography Editing means culling (choosing/sorting the photographs), Retouching means post production, enhancing and altering the image.

A magazine editor chooses the images that will be going in the magazine, a retoucher does the post production/enhancements and alterations on said photos.

Well there ya go, now I know why they're called editors. Simple enough, editors edit and retouchers retouch or editors select and retouchers process.

But, if the magazine editor edits the images going into the magazine, who edits the rest of the magazine's content?  Are they contentors?  smile

David

May 06 11 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

PixelPurfect wrote:
Well there ya go, now I know why they're called editors. Simple enough, editors edit and retouchers retouch or editors select and retouchers process.

But, if the magazine editor edits the images going into the magazine, who edits the rest of the magazine's content?  Are they contentors?  smile

David

The editor also edits the content. He selects(edits) what stories/articles will be in the magazine etc

May 06 11 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Innovative Imagery

Here ya go.

Adjustments
Editing
Retouching
Finishing.

Editing is sorting and selecting the good from the bad and organizing the info.  Adjusting is white balance, color and contrast adjustments.  Retouching is simple blemish work to skin softening up to swapping heads and compositing.  Finishing is the sharpening, overlays, filters and in the old days texturing and spraying the prints.

It is important to not be lazy and use the correct terminology while making sure your client understands what you mean so their expectations can be met and everybody stays happy.

May 06 11 03:54 pm Link

Retoucher

Ashish Arora

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

PixelPurfect wrote:

A-M-P wrote:
The editor also edits the content. He selects(edits) what stories/articles will be in the magazine etc

You have fashion editors, chief editors and then content editors. Every post has a different purpose, there is a group of editors working for a magazine headed by the Chief like in any office.

So, every department edits out and approves their own content, sometimes there will be two or more editors for the same thing too.

Also, editors could be region-specific. (Country to country- different guy)

Scroll down:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vogue_%28magazine%29

As for the TOPIC-

Editing == editing out selects and picking up final selections for a publication/shoot etc. and retouching is correcting those final selections using any standard software and given tools.

Simple!

May 06 11 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel Hubbert

Clevedon, England, United Kingdom

I pay my bills as a computer programmer. Computer programming has lots of interesting vocabulary with very precise meanings that laymen regularly misinterpret. If you're writing a document which you expect to be legally binding later you don't use said pieced of exciting vocabulary and then smugly point out to your client later the simple mistakes they made in interpreting the document, you learn how to phrase things properly so they don't misunderstand in the first place.

I also do photography for money. My camera is digital, it captures RAW files which are not a finished product. To get from the RAW file to the finished product I make some adjustments - sometimes minor sometimes more major depending on the job. If I need to describe said process in a document I phrase it carefully so the client fully understands what they're getting.

May 06 11 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Ashish Arora wrote:
You have fashion editors, chief editors and then content editors. Every post has a different purpose, there is a group of editors working for a magazine headed by the Chief like in any office.

So, every department edits out and approves their own content, sometimes there will be two or more editors for the same thing too.

Also, editors could be region-specific. (Country to country- different guy)

Correct

They are all editors and they all edit (select) different type of content for whatever their tier is. 

I didn't want to go into specific types of editors. Keeping it basic so is easy to understand what an editor does as oppose to a retoucher.

One editor does the articles, the photo editor selects the images, And the editor in chief basically is the one that approves what all the other editors have done. etc etc

May 06 11 04:01 pm Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

A-M-P wrote:

And the reason this whole argument is pointless intellectual masturbation is that most people who are in the industry don't care.

Most of my clients that work with magazines every day still ask me: Can you edit these for monday?

So...
in the end...

it doesn't matter.

Or maybe I should argue with them and say something like: No, sorry... you edit them and I'll retouch them by Monday tongue

So once again...

Those who care don't matter, those who matter don't care
x

BLOG: http://nataliataffarel.tumblr.com/
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/NataliaTaffarel
WORKSHOPS 2011http://nataliataffarel.tumblr.com/News

May 06 11 07:33 pm Link