Forums > Photography Talk > Is photography like riding a bike?

Photographer

GotTheLook Photographer

Allentown, Pennsylvania, US

In a another post about "What does 20 years experience mean", I posted that I wan in an auto accident (very bad,head trauma and all) and was out of commission for a few years.
Before the accident I was a great photographer (no really, great lighting, exposure , composition and all), but after I technically lost my ability to light. I am getting better (lots o' practice) but it is not up to my snuff.
Has this happened to anyone else where you were out for a while came back and went..."What the heck is that?!?" at your finished image.

Gary

Jul 27 05 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

I guess I'd like to see some of your old stuff.  I don't think that lighting is something you'd lose in an accident.  What sort of light modifier are you using?

Paul

Jul 27 05 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

That happens to me every time I pick up a video camera. The first five minutes are always shite.

Jul 27 05 10:53 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by GotTheLookPhotographer: 
In a another post about "What does 20 years experience mean", I posted that I wan in an auto accident (very bad,head trauma and all) and was out of commission for a few years.
Before the accident I was a great photographer (no really, great lighting, exposure , composition and all), but after I technically lost my ability to light. I am getting better (lots o' practice) but it is not up to my snuff.
Has this happened to anyone else where you were out for a while came back and went..."What the heck is that?!?" at your finished image.

Gary

How do you lose the ability to light?

Jul 27 05 10:57 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

If you haven't shot in awhile, you get a little rusty.

Jul 27 05 11:00 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Paul Ferrara: 
I guess I'd like to see some of your old stuff.  I don't think that lighting is something you'd lose in an accident. 

I take no position one way or another regarding Marksora's prior or current work or in comparing them.

However, unless you are an extremely competent neurophysiologist, I think that cavalierly dismissing the person who was *there's* opinion that his lighting abilities were impaired is a little egotistical. Damage to any number of areas in the brain could easily disrupt the ability to judge relative brightness, see shadow lines, etc.

M

Jul 27 05 11:10 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by StMarc: 
I take no position one way or another regarding Marksora's prior or current work or in comparing them.

What???

Jul 27 05 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Whoops!

My apologies.

I was looking at two different posts at the same time and I put the wrong name in my reply.

I formally repudiate any statement to the effect that Marksora has had a head injury that affected his photographic skills. I was referring to the original poster. If Marksora HAS has a head injury that affected his photographic skills, I don't know about it.

Incidentally, I've had two major head traumas that I know of. So I can't be held liable. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

M

Jul 27 05 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by StMarc: 
Incidentally, I've had two major head traumas that I know of. So I can't be held liable. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

None of my head traumas have been above the belt, so I have no excuse. beyound self medication.

Jul 27 05 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

GotTheLook Photographer

I'm not even insinuating that the accident had anything to do with it, the point is that I was out of commision for 2 1/2 years (so long I actually sold my gear and had to buy all new).
So the question is this, do you think that if you don't do it for a while (shoot, light, scuba dive...) do you get bad at it. As the saying goes, "It's like riding a bike, once you learn, you never forget."
I'm not so sure photography is....

Gary

Jul 27 05 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

In general, excepting trauma or neurological issues, I'd say that "the edge" is going to be lost, but should be recoverable. Simple non-use of a skill requiring fine-tuning will almost always lead to some rustiness until you've gotten back into the groove. The major issues should remain, but getting beyond good will probably take some practice.

On the other hand, I know one good photographer who had a mild stroke who did lose some of their technical abilities. Prior to the stroke, he was very good technically; now, he's become almost dyslexic relative to many photography (and other) issues. Exposure, instead of being almost automatic, usually goes backwards for a while--any adjustment needed is typically made in the wrong direction (that is, if it's too dark, he'll reduce exposure). The same for some of his left/right recognition/labelling; they're usually backwards as well.

Lack of skill due to lack of practice is usually recovered fairly quickly, though getting all the way back may take a little extra effort. The other seems to be much rarer, and much more variable in recovery.

Jul 27 05 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

St.Marc,
I actually did have a head injury a few years back.  That and a few other things such as record companies stealing from me influenced me to take a break for a few years from testing.  Only paid jobs and I did not search them out.  And I stuck mostly with shooting jewelry.  But I just like to be who I am for obvious reasons.

Gotthelook,
With that name and you claim to being a " I was a great photographer (no really, great lighting, exposure , composition and all)" with vast experience,  sorry If I am a bit dubious.

Rusty is one thing but great photographer?????

Jul 27 05 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

GotTheLook Photographer

Marksora,

No I was fabulous, I'd make minsmeat of all of you.... kidding, I'm kidding. If you don't think you're great, who will. But, for my area (back then) I was really up there in talent.

Gary

Jul 27 05 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

GotTheLook Photographer

The issue is this, I look at some of my past work and then at my recent stuff (and while I'm certainly not a snapshooter) I am like, what the heck is this?
Maybe I'm just hard on my self (I only shoot digi so I don't have a scanner to scan old images.) but, if I put up some of the original stuff I shot when I got back to it you would throw me off the site.

Gary

Jul 27 05 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

After Breaking by back and both shoulders in 94 i could not lift a camera fora couple years..Was on my back for 5 years..
Yes my brains left me but my skill always stayed..
Almost all my work shown is from after the Accident..
For awhile i thought shooting was gonna be over for me,
So i studied computers and now i have 2 great skills that go together!!!

Jul 27 05 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

DumDum Productions

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

I look at creativity and talent as if it's this plastic substance that can only be worked for so long into a certain shape. After awhile it loses it's shape and you have to try something else. If it's not working the way you've always done it, maybe it's time to try a new way. Different subject matter, new techniques, new media (try switching from digital to pinhole or something like that).

Gotta keep it limber!

Jul 28 05 08:29 am Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

Photography is exactly like riding a bike except there are normally fewer handlebars involved.

Mr. Robinson, the post here before mine, says it well.  People talk about skills being "honed" (which means sharpened).  Perhaps your edge is just be rusty after the time off.  That said, I have to agree with others; try new things, keep trying the old things, keep shooting, don't quit.

Jul 28 05 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

I think the bike is easier.  If I fall off a photographer I don't think they'll let me back on.

Aug 04 05 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

yani

Matawan, New Jersey, US

I always have my bike at shoots..... 

https://www.yanisworld.com/images/yanbike.jpg

Aug 05 05 11:28 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad you got back into the saddle smile

So, Photography like riding a bike? Not that my ass is big, but I don't think my camera can accomodate my weight!

I went four years without shooting due to parenting and what not and decided to come back, do some light fashion and sports with an MUA. Before the shoot, I spent a couple of days getting reacquainted with my camera and remote flashes. Thank god I kept the manuals!

Check out how me and the MUA did. The only photoshop done on these images were to touch up the dust specs from the negatives

These samples are on the MUA's port and were from our first three shoots working together.

I really lucked out, because the MUA is the niece of a high school friend, which made it even easier for us to work together. Another funny thing also is that I saw her Uncle at my Uncle's funeral wake. Seems they are distantly related to my Uncle, which would make us distant relatives. Small world.

Aug 05 05 11:40 am Link