Forums > General Industry > communication???

Photographer

joe duerr

Santa Ana, California, US

I have seen so many threads and stories on this site that are all a lack of communication. Cancellations are something I have had only one in the last 10 years and that was my own fault for not following my own rules. When you set a date and time if you don't know the person say something like "In case of something major like an earthquake or tornado call me because I will be here, the makeup artist and stylist will be here and we will all be on time. We are all counting on you being on time and if that is a problem please let me know now. You and the model should know what the model is expected to bring to the shoot, what you are supplying, be it outfits, food, drinks, wigs or whatever. You should both know the expected length of the shoot. If you have both discussed shooting for 4 hours and it is going real well and you want to go 6 hours you should not be disappointed if the model wants to leave in 4. I just responded to a photographer wanting to know what kind of music to play. Duh, ask the model what will put her in the mood you want her in to produce the images you have both agreed that you are trying to produce. You should both agree ahead of time on the compensation. If the compensation is prints, how many, touched up, what size. If a cd of all images how soon and who has the rights to what. If it is cash who pays who, when and how. If you don't want a check for payment the day of the shoot is not the time to state that. Nothing should be assumed. As a photographer do you want a release, if so the model should see a copy of that prior to the shoot so that if there are any questions they are resolved prior to booking makeup and stylists. Good communication before the shoot can save disappointments and expectations of both the photographer and the model. Hey folks it's not rocket science, it's called talking

Jul 27 05 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Joe, Communication is important!  But I think that with today's high tech age, we attempt to spread ourselves thin with our time.  I know that if I don't "take care" of something RIGHT NOW, that it will slip by me and take longer to deal with it.

But I should be writing some templates but it's so easy to procrastinate here!

LOL

Jul 27 05 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

joe duerr

Santa Ana, California, US

To many peoples mantra is why put off till next week what I can put off till next month....

Jul 27 05 09:42 pm Link