Forums > General Industry > America's Next Top Model for real or a hoax?

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Glamour Boulevard: 
I do not recall seeing the last top model winner in anything big. I could be wrong, since I do not really watch commercials or look through print ads.

Although a sponsor, for a model, you cannot get anything much bigger ten a Cover Girl contract. Not ad but contract. That gives you world wide advertisement plus some coins for the purse - lol

Jul 28 05 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Posted by Monsante Bey: 
I've seen some of the top 3 from each season get work and go further than millions of net models. You be the judge.

Of course. Ever heard of the law of averages?

Jul 28 05 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Posted by Patrick Walberg: 

Posted by Monsante Bey: 
I've seen some of the top 3 from each season get work and go further than millions of net models. You be the judge.

Why are you so down on Internet models?  You and me both are Internet photographers. 

That said ...

I have a young lady who wants to try out for the show. In searching for how to go about trying out, I have googled Tyra Banks and the name of the show along with the TV network ... all lead to dead ends for me!  What makes it worse is that my firewall works overtime trying to fight off all the attempted down loads to my computer ... especially on Tyra Banks so called official site!

I told my friend to forget the stupid show, let's pack up and camp out at the offices of Elite and Fords! 

As a former autograph collector, if you want to get ahold of someone from a certain tv show, go to the tv shows network website directly first.

Jul 28 05 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Posted by MichaelBell: 
Its scripted and stupid. However I thought the Swimsuit Model show was great, the winner was hot and she really appeared in the magazine. I wouldn't mind seeing another season of that.

I have to admit, the one top model show where they had the girls looking like real life anime models on the racing bike was an interesting show. I loved the look and setting.

Jul 28 05 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Posted by Anthony Citrano: 

Posted by IndianaGlamour: 
The "show" is a ratings vehicle.  Nothing more.  It's all scripted and the "winners" are selected before the "season" starts.  The producers of these scams count on literally thousands of average wanna-be models lining up to participate (and drive the ratings through the roof, which is where the money is made.)   

I agree that it's a ratings vehicle, but you're incorrect about the other points.

By that I mean you are completely incorrect about it being scripted.  Producers do interact with them and coach them, but there are no scripts. 

Second, you are also wrong about the winner being selected in advance.  Judges and producers might have their favorites, but it is basically approached the way you see it.

Having said all that, I agree with what is being said in the thread - that UPN and Bankable Productions have no ability to just declare someone the industry's latest top model.  Sure, you can win ANTM and ride the associated wave of publicity, but then the realities of the industry and a modeling career set in.  You still need to compete with all the rest of them.

coaching/scripting the only difference is one is written one is verbal. Half dozen of one, six of the other.

Jul 28 05 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Posted by Fred Brown: 

I do not recall seeing the last top model winner in anything big. I could be wrong, since I do not really watch commercials or look through print ads.

Although a sponsor, for a model, you cannot get anything much bigger ten a Cover Girl contract. Not ad but contract. That gives you world wide advertisement plus some coins for the purse - lol

Like I said, I could be wrong. To me the way I see covergirl stuff is through ads and commercials, which I do not pay attention to. Which is why I am wrong I guess. I had no clue someone got a CG contract. But, let`s see how long she lasts. She was riding a wave basically. Waves crash. Let`s see how she goes beyond that.

Jul 28 05 04:46 pm Link

Model

Shayuma

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Posted by ( ANT ) Mgaphoto: 
Furthermore, Tyra is an idiot! Her forehead is almost as big as her tits now smile

OMG I can't believe you said that. She is a very smart career woman. Mentioning the size of her forehead was petty IMO.

Jul 28 05 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Fred Brown: 

Like I said, I could be wrong. To me the way I see covergirl stuff is through ads and commercials, which I do not pay attention to. Which is why I am wrong I guess. I had no clue someone got a CG contract. But, let`s see how long she lasts. She was riding a wave basically. Waves crash. Let`s see how she goes beyond that.

Repeat after me... HATER!!!!!!!!!!!

let`s see how long she lasts. She was riding a wave basically. Waves crash. Let`s see how she goes beyond that.

You seem really angry about their success. If it last only for the duration of the contract, so what? They are actually riding top waves and based on the fact that you yourself said you don't watch commercials or look at print ads says that you're speaking from the depths of the unknown and shouldn't be. So yes, you are wrong, wrong for even commenting in this case. Here are some news flashes for ya to help catch you up with the fact that these girls are working in the industry. Oh and by the way, these are the winners but I have seen Mercedes on many covers.

"Watch out, world--here comes Eva!"

The newly-minted model joins the ranks of the show's previous winners: season two's Yoanna House, who scored representation with IMG Models, a spread in Jane magazine and a Sephora advertising campaign, and the first season's winner, Adrianne Curry, who landed a Revlon contract, representation with Wilhelmina Models and a Marie Claire spread.

Dreams Do Come True One couldn't miss the soft smile on Yoanna House's face as she appeared on the runway in the dynamic Petro Zillia Fall 2004 ready-to-wear collection by Nony Tochterman; after all, House had only one week earlier won the America's Next Top Model contest on UPN television network in front of millions,

America’s Next Top Model has become UPN’s most watched show attracting over 5 million viewers last season.

Pigford was rewarded with a $100,000 contract with CoverGirl, a spread in Elle magazine and a contract with Ford Models.

Naima was awarded a $100,000 contract with CoverGirl and Ford models and a spread in Elle magazine.

Fall Winter Fashion 2004Cape Cod Weddings by Cape Cod Bride Magazine - The Cape Cod's Definitive Bridal ... Notables: Mercedes Scelba-Shorte starring Heidi Klum 

Jul 29 05 12:41 am Link

Model

dpretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
No one's talking about shut up and model. Looks like they got the name right.

lmao...at least america's top model has viewers and is good exposure for the winners and runner-ups.

Jul 29 05 12:44 am Link