Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > MUA Discounts for NEW Artists Question..

Makeup Artist

Body Farm

Augusta, Georgia, US

I notice that going through the criteria for what companies want you to supply them with for a discount program is hard for some people just starting out.
For example, I freelance working with photographers in my area to build my book (and my kit) while I'm still on my way up the learning ladder.
I've got no schooling, no license and no tear sheets.

How do I go about getting discounts from companies like NARS and Smashbox who have such high standards for the discount programs?
I was able to get a MAC card using my business card and a reference letter from my previous employer (who I didn't do makeup for because I dont have a cosmo license but was nice enough to write one for me anyway).

Any suggestions on things I could pull together that these places would accept?

Also, I keep seeing "Union Card" as an acceptable form of employment in the industry.  How and where do you go about getting into a union?

Jul 15 06 10:32 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

Without call or tearsheets it is going to be difficult for you, because these comapnies are not su much interested in giving every MUA a discount, they are also interested in the free publicity that usually comes with it. So they do their best to make sure that only working artists are able to use their program.

usually they want an agency card, letter from production, union card, tearsheets, call sheets or crew lists.

you can also have aonther artist who has the discount buy stuff for you until you have enough documentation to get approved.

Jul 15 06 11:41 am Link

Makeup Artist

Body Farm

Augusta, Georgia, US

Do you think letters from photographers I've worked with and/or a copy of my MAC PPID card would be enough to subsitute for these things?

Jul 15 06 12:30 pm Link

Makeup Artist

UkMakeupArtist

Liverpool, Illinois, US

GlossBot wrote:
Do you think letters from photographers I've worked with and/or a copy of my MAC PPID card would be enough to subsitute for these things?

No.  Thats like asking these companies to take a note from your mum.  It doesnt work like that.

The standards they have for giving MUA discounts are there for a reason.  They are there so that real, professional, working makeup artists dont have to spend as much on their products and also to ensure we are using their products in our kits.

We have all been there at the begining.  Its horrible not being able to get discounted stuff, but as I said we have all been there.  Just work your butt off and get the tears and call sheets like the rest of us have done.  There is no fast track in this business.

Lucy x

Jul 15 06 01:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

UkMakeupArtist wrote:

No.  Thats like asking these companies to take a note from your mum.  It doesnt work like that.

The standards they have for giving MUA discounts are there for a reason.  They are there so that real, professional, working makeup artists dont have to spend as much on their products and also to ensure we are using their products in our kits.

We have all been there at the begining.  Its horrible not being able to get discounted stuff, but as I said we have all been there.  Just work your butt off and get the tears and call sheets like the rest of us have done.  There is no fast track in this business.

Lucy x

I am still paying off credit cards from when I was just starting out.

But very few people will take a PPID as gospel and they are usually the small hole in the wall beauty stores... a few months ago when I moved back to Orange County from Los Angeles, I was trying to find a store that carried disposable mascara wands... ONE store carries them. I always make it a point to ask if they offer a pro discount (becuase it's usually like 10 or 15% at these kinds of stores). They are the ones who ask if you have a MAC procard, I showed them a call sheet and they had no idea what I was talking about.

This is why it is important to get credit when you do submissions, so you have something to show.

Jul 15 06 01:45 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Body Farm

Augusta, Georgia, US

I figured as much, I guess I'm lucky to have the mac card, it saves me a lot and I'm thankful for that.  I just want to branch out into BETTER quality makeup in my kit and for now I will just have to suck it up and pay full price like I have been until I get the proper credentials.  Thanks for all the replies!

Jul 15 06 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

Jul 16 06 12:11 am Link

Makeup Artist

Nika Vaughan

Chicago, Illinois, US

Don't forget taking advantage of the little discounts you can get towards ancillary tools and products.  I really do love my Sally's card for the small stuff like lashes, table towels, spatulas, hair prod, etc.  It has totally paid for itself a few times over.  And (I'm pretty sure...) you don't need credentials to get it.  Then there's supplies from Dick Blick art supply.  If you shop at their stores, they do monthy coupons and rotating promotions for people who sign up for their preferred card.  Now you might not use this too often, but for stuff like small, detail brushes, sketch pads for your ideas, palletes, presentation books, etc.  it sure doesn't hurt to save an extra 10-20% off of the posted price.

And if you're still in ANY type of school that issues an ID, don't forget to ask any retailer about "student discounts," too. wink

Jul 16 06 06:50 am Link

Makeup Artist

HFox Makeup

Washington, District of Columbia, US

You might not get any discounts from this store:  http://www.camerareadycosmetics.com

However, the products in that store is professional grade.  So if you looking for better quality of products to use in media production and photoshoots, order from that store or order from http://www.alconeco.com .  There are couple of other professional grade cosmetics that inexpensive:  http://www.mehron.com , naimes, frends beauty supply, cinema secrets, etc.

HTH

Heather

Jul 17 06 09:17 am Link

Makeup Artist

Body Farm

Augusta, Georgia, US

HFox Makeup wrote:
You might not get any discounts from this store:  http://www.camerareadycosmetics.com

However, the products in that store is professional grade.  So if you looking for better quality of products to use in media production and photoshoots, order from that store or order from http://www.alconeco.com .  There are couple of other professional grade cosmetics that inexpensive:  http://www.mehron.com , naimes, frends beauty supply, cinema secrets, etc.

HTH

Heather

I have ordered from CRC in the past, I have been using RCMA foundation for most of the shoots I work on (or MUFE) and get it from her.  But for some certain things I can't live without (like NARS Blushes and Smashbox Softlights) I would love a discount.  But like someone said, the worst they can say is No, so I'm going to give it a go and see what happens.

Jul 17 06 09:20 am Link

Makeup Artist

Halyna

Hoboken, New Jersey, US

All you need is: Business card, resume, and a website or portfolio.

Jul 17 06 09:23 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Halyna wrote:
All you need is: Business card, resume, and a website or portfolio.

the smaller boutiques will usually take these as proof, but the only large companies that take artists with those criteria are MAC, Stila and Benefit. MUFE was actually easy as well, but I buy from Frend's and they know that I am always in there so they know I am a professional. When I was faxing my stuff toBenefit my fax machine got an error, so it only sent my resume and a copy of my ID and business card and they approved me for the discount.

Typically you can get away with sending in multiple call sheets or multiple tearsheets, a resume, business card and a copy of your ID. But not with smashbox or Nars and DEFINATLY not with a company like Shu Uemera.

And about CRC, I have never ordered from there, BUT mary does have very great prices on evreything. The RCMA palettes sell for MUCH  more at other stores.

But it is true, the worst they can say is no. Always ask about discounts, you never know who gives them.

Another thing you can do is work on a few student short films or see if you can assist on something. At the time when I got approved for my discounts, most of my callsheets were from assisting and they took those.

Typically they want some combination of the following: union card, agency card, letter from production, call sheets/crew lists, letter with agency letterhead, some  sort of license (cosmo, estheticin, make-up certificate), tearsheets with credit or a resume.

Jul 17 06 10:09 am Link

Makeup Artist

Body Farm

Augusta, Georgia, US

Rachel,

Thanks - that was VERY helpful information!! I will look into student films since I am right next to our biggest University in the State.

Jul 17 06 01:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jeanne San Diego

Sometimes you can find Smashbox deals at www.qvc.com
try going to Make Up shows...you'll get a lot of discounts there from different vendors.  But if you really like Nars...apply at the Nars counter!  They'll give you some gratis smile

Jul 18 06 02:37 am Link

Makeup Artist

Body Farm

Augusta, Georgia, US

Sexy Graffiti wrote:
Sometimes you can find Smashbox deals at www.qvc.com
try going to Make Up shows...you'll get a lot of discounts there from different vendors.  But if you really like Nars...apply at the Nars counter!  They'll give you some gratis smile

I order from QVC on occassion JUST for Smashbox, I evenr ecord the smashbox shows on QVC because I just love that line and Holly Mordini so so much.
I would apply at NARS IF there was a counter here and IF I wanted to retail which I don't. But I would just for freebies.

Jul 18 06 03:49 pm Link

Makeup Artist

About Faces-Lynn

Detroit, Michigan, US

Here is some info I gathered regarding Artists discounts:

The information required on your part varies from company to company. Some are very stringent in their requirements. Almost all companies require that purchases are made via fax or phone.

BeneFit-
Mail or fax copy of license & contact information to:
BeneFit Cosmetics
re: makeup artist program
685 Market St. 7th floor
San Francisco, CA 94105
fax: (415) 781-3930

Cinema Secrets-
10% discount. Call their number (818-846-0579) to ask for the makeup artist discount when ordering.

Lorac-
40% discount, provide union card, resume, certification, etc. Discount applicable to mail order only (800-845-0705). Fax information to 818-678-3930

Makeup Forever-
35% discount. Fax info (for US residents) to 212-925-9561. Call 212-941-9337 for more info.

NARS-
30% discount. Email [email protected] for application form and requirements.

Smashbox-
35% discount
WE REQUIRE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
Agency card with photo id
Professional tear sheet with your name on it with photo id
Valid union card with your photo id
-OR-
WE REQUIRE TWO OF THE FOLLOWING:
Professional agency letter of reference with business card & photo id
Crew call list with press material & photo id
Valid makeup artistry certificate (within the last 5 years) & photo id
Please fax the requirements for verification and include the following:
Full name
Address, city, state & zip code
Home & Work/Cell phone numbers
E-mail address

Once approved, Smashbox cosmetics will issue a professional 40% discount authorization letter. You may place an order by calling 888.763.1361 or fax 310.558.1491.

Stila-
40% discount
Mail 2 credentials (bus. card, license, etc) plus a copy of a photo ID along with address & phone number to:
Stila Cosmetics, Inc.,
Corporate Headquarters
2801 Hyperion Avenue #102
Los Angeles, CA 90027

Sue Devitt Studio-
40% for professional makeup artists
888-870-1150

Temptu-
20% product discount, 15% equipment discount
Accepts proof of MAC PRO membership as proof of profession. Fax info to 212-675-4075. Call 212-675-4000 for details

Vincent Longo Cosmetics-
30% for professional makeup artists
877-LONGO99

Jul 18 06 05:22 pm Link

Makeup Artist

About Faces-Lynn

Detroit, Michigan, US

In addition to the previous post and I apoligize if there is some duplication (this is from another board and some of it was posted in more then one place)

Discount info I have received so far are as follows:
Orgins offers
40% discount on Facial Skin Care and Color products
20% discount on Bath & Body and Hair Care products

NARS offers a 30% professional discount on its cosmetic and skincare products to qualifying makeup artists within the United States. This discount is only valid for purchases made through the NARS website at www.narscosmetics.com.To be eligible for the discount, makeup artists/industry professionals must submit their agency and/or business card along with their resume, tear or call sheets, and completed application form to the address listed below. The application must include ALL of the listed documents, or it will be considered incomplete.

Smashbox
PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP ARTIST DISCOUNT
FAX # 310.733.2569
ATTN: Jenna Ware
WE REQUIRE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:

• Agency card with photo i.d.
• Professional tear sheet with your name on it with photo i.d.
• Valid union card with your photo i.d.
OR
WE REQUIRE TWO OF THE FOLLOWING:
• Professional agency letter of reference with business card & photo i.d.
• Crew call list with press material & photo i.d.
• Valid makeup artistry certificate (within the last 5 years) & photo i.d.
Please fax the requirements for verification and include the following:

• Full name
• Address, city, state & zip code
• Home & cell phone numbers
• E-mail address

Once approved, Smashbox cosmetics will issue a professional 40% discount authorization letter. You may place an order by calling 888.763.1361 or 310.558.1490 ext 453.

Mudd
Yes we do offer a professional discount which is 30% off mud products
and 10% off non mud products.
I would need you to fax me a copy of your business card and possibly a call
sheet if you have one or a link to your website (if you have one up) My fax
number is 818-565-3407
You may go to our online store and create a login account and once I receive
the fax then I can assign you the proper discount.
Thank You
Troy Watson
MUD Distribution Center

Benefit
Thank you for your email and interest in the Benefit Professional Makeup
Artist Discount Program. We offer a 30% discount to qualifying makeup
artists. This discount is available through our mail order department
only. To apply, please fax your bio/resume as well as a photo copy of
your makeup artist license to 415.343.7180 attn: Makeup Artist Program.
The review process takes 2-3 weeks. Thanks again for your interest.

Warm regards,
Benefit Customer Service
Benefit Cosmetics
685 Market St., 7th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94105
(phone) 1-800-781-2336
(fax) 1-415-781-3526

Hope this helps some MUA's.

Jul 18 06 05:25 pm Link

Makeup Artist

About Faces-Lynn

Detroit, Michigan, US

In addition to all of those companies previously posted Face atelier offers a 40% discount as well.

That is what I use in all of my work on line here!  See for yourself, its a beautful foundation!

Dear Lynn:
Welcome to the FACE atelier Preferred Pro Program. Your discount code is: xxxxx This code is to be entered in the 'promotional codes' area of the payment screen on the website for you to receive your discount of 40%.

Terms and Conditions:

PPP discount is available to professional make-up artists.

Upon enrollment in the PPP, you will be emailed a code that entitles you to a 40% discount for one year from the date of enrollment.

The PPP code must be entered at time of purchase. You can verify that the discount was successfully applied to your order on your Order Confirmation page.

Purchases may be monitored from time to time. The code may not be transferred. Unauthorized use of the code or resale of FACE atelier products is strictly prohibited and will result in immediate termination of PPP privileges. FACE atelier reserves the right to terminate these privileges at any time without prior notice, and modify the program and its benefits at any time without prior notice.

For assistance or questions, please email us at: [email protected]

For assistance or questions, please email us at [email protected]

FACE atelier Online Service

Jul 18 06 06:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

About Faces-Lynn

Detroit, Michigan, US

In addition to all of those companies previously posted Face atelier offers a 40% discount as well.

That is what I use in all of my work on line here!  See for yourself, its a beautful foundation!

Dear Lynn:
Welcome to the FACE atelier Preferred Pro Program. Your discount code is: xxxxx This code is to be entered in the 'promotional codes' area of the payment screen on the website for you to receive your discount of 40%.

Terms and Conditions:

PPP discount is available to professional make-up artists.

Upon enrollment in the PPP, you will be emailed a code that entitles you to a 40% discount for one year from the date of enrollment.

The PPP code must be entered at time of purchase. You can verify that the discount was successfully applied to your order on your Order Confirmation page.

Purchases may be monitored from time to time. The code may not be transferred. Unauthorized use of the code or resale of FACE atelier products is strictly prohibited and will result in immediate termination of PPP privileges. FACE atelier reserves the right to terminate these privileges at any time without prior notice, and modify the program and its benefits at any time without prior notice.

For assistance or questions, please email us at: [email protected]

For assistance or questions, please email us at [email protected]

FACE atelier Online Service

Jul 18 06 06:14 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Mooney Makeup

Portland, Oregon, US

Who do you ask when you want a discount? the checker? I've never asked for discounts I've either paid full price or got discounts from employers. you don't need a cosmo license? I always thought you neede that or to be MAC.

Jul 18 06 06:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

About Faces-Lynn

Detroit, Michigan, US

For the smaller chains I would ask the manager of the store.  The large companies I would contact direct.  They usually have an application required to be submitted prior to receiving the discount.

Jul 23 06 12:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

faithb

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Funny, but it seems some think that MAC is the green light to all the other brands...

Jul 23 06 11:10 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Mooney Makeup

Portland, Oregon, US

How would you contact the bigger companies, this seems ackward to me because I've never done it? Actually if anyone wants to explain all this to me that would be great!

Jul 24 06 06:25 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Mooney Makeup

Portland, Oregon, US

what kind of license? cosmetology?

Jul 24 06 06:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Nika Vaughan

Chicago, Illinois, US

Thanks for all the info!!! smile smile smile

Jul 24 06 06:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Mooney Makeup

Portland, Oregon, US

Urban Decay also has a MUA program!

Jul 25 06 12:43 pm Link

Makeup Artist

About Faces-Lynn

Detroit, Michigan, US

Mooney Makeup wrote:
How would you contact the bigger companies, this seems ackward to me because I've never done it? Actually if anyone wants to explain all this to me that would be great!

You simply call them and tell them you are a MUA and ask if they have a discount program for there products.

If they have a progam they will tell you requirements and send you the application form etc.

E-mail works great too!

Jul 25 06 12:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Mooney Makeup

Portland, Oregon, US

Hey thanx about face! your info is appreciated. I'm looking forward to hopefully receiving a little discount on some things!

Jul 25 06 06:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MakeupbyTrish

Reading, Pennsylvania, US

Good information, thanks for sharing

Jul 27 06 11:06 am Link

Makeup Artist

iCandy Makeup

I have a call sheet that was emailed to me (not as an attachment).

I assisted for a editorial before. Does anyone know if that would count?

Aug 24 06 08:44 pm Link

Makeup Artist

About Faces-Lynn

Detroit, Michigan, US

Call sheets usually count!  Its proof that your a working artist and its one of the required pieces for many cosmetics companies!

Mar 28 07 10:34 am Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

Discounts would be so great right now.

Does it matter what magazines the tear sheets come from?  Can they be local magazines?

And how do you handle it if your name doesn't appear on the tear?  Can you send a letter from the magazine or photographer whose name does appear on the tear along with contact info and the tear?

Mar 28 07 10:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

David Klasfeld

New York, New York, US

Hey GlossBot-
Just so you know, we do a 20% discount, and all you need to do is send a an email to [email protected], with your mailing address, contact info, and a link to your website or online portfolio (including your Model Mayhem one), and you're in. It applies to all purchases made at occmakeup.com, on any of our cosmetic items, but does include Iwata Airbrush Equipment.

Thanks,
DK

Mar 28 07 02:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rebecca Liceaga

If you have a tear I would imagine you would have your name on a call sheet of sorts...I maybe be mistaken but with any work I've done I've been given a call sheet. You can try and see if they will accept it without any credit, but for NARS and Smashbox it will probably be a little harder.

Mar 28 07 02:47 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Nika Vaughan

Chicago, Illinois, US

Just found this site- CHECK IT OUT!! big_smile

[link] http://www.798members.com/discount.asp [/link]

Apr 23 07 10:47 am Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty by Natalie

New York, New York, US

Mooney Makeup wrote:
Who do you ask when you want a discount? the checker? I've never asked for discounts I've either paid full price or got discounts from employers. you don't need a cosmo license? I always thought you neede that or to be MAC.

You can call the line you're interested in and ask if they have a Makeup Artist Discount Program and they should be able to tell you the requirements or a number to reach someone directy.

Every line is differnt of course, but MUFE and Face Atelier asked for things that I considered to be easy like business cards, call sheets and links to a website.

Apr 23 07 11:28 am Link

Makeup Artist

Tiana Phenix ARTIST

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

excuse my ignorance.. i am a newbie could someone please pm what a call sheet is?

Apr 23 07 08:54 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rebecca Liceaga

When you do a production (commerical shoot, film, etc.) you are "supposed" to receive a call sheet that is very detailed that outlines every aspect of the shoot from the projected weather forecast down to the the P.A.'s. Anyhooz, it will say on there Key Hair and Key Makeup Artist and your name will be there and you have proof that you worked on a project...I hope that cleared it up (or at least gave you an idea of what it is!)

Apr 23 07 09:04 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty4U

New York, New York, US

At first it's not easy.  It took me almost 3 yrs just to get my MUFE card.  I actually JUST got it.  I needed a tear sheet that had my name on it and I finally did.  Took a while but hey, not everything in this industry is easy. 

Now if only Sephora had a MUA discount card.  Trust me, I mention it everytime I go in there (which is like, hmmm, every week!)

Apr 23 07 09:54 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Constance The Artist

Chicago, Illinois, US

Here's a stupid question...
Much of the work I have done is for online "modelling" (*cough*yeah, check profile for what I mean) sites and web-based clothing catalogues.
What exactly would qualify as a tearsheet in that case?

Apr 23 07 10:50 pm Link