Forums > Photography Talk > Getting into Art Nude Photography (Photographer)

Photographer

Stuart James

London, England, United Kingdom

Does anyone have any tips on how to get into Art nude photography for the first time?

I have been collecting details of local models that do art nude but having not done this kind of photography before I don't want to look un-professional at my first shoot.

Should I do a course first or just be upfront with the model and say that this is my first shoot and just experiment?

Does anyone have any experience doing TFP shoots like this? Ideally I don't want to spend a fortune paying models.

Any advice would be great

Aug 05 10 08:20 am Link

Photographer

Jonas Gunn

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

Stuart James wrote:
Does anyone have any tips on how to get into Art nude photography for the first time?

I have been collecting details of local models that do art nude but having not done this kind of photography before I don't want to look un-professional at my first shoot.

Should I do a course first or just be upfront with the model and say that this is my first shoot and just experiment?

Does anyone have any experience doing TFP shoots like this? Ideally I don't want to spend a fortune paying models.

put a casting out and see what comes back..

better still, put two out - one for TFP and one for paid. I can 100% guarantee the paid casting will return better quality models who you're more likely to learn from.

You should always be up front with the models you work with - most of them know each other smile

Aug 05 10 08:23 am Link

Photographer

fine art nudes by paul

Oakland, California, US

Stuart James wrote:

it's like swimming....  just jump in, no point in just dipping your toes in.

as for looking un-professional, the shoot shouldn't be much different than one in which the model is clothed.  Respect the model as a person and not as an object and you're golden.  But be honest and fair to her in expressing your concerns over your inexperience if you think you need to.

Aug 05 10 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

Los Angeles, California, US

Hire a professional figure model.  Not a glamour model. 

That's all the advice you need to get started!  Explain it is indeed your first shoot and not to expect much.  Do your best, and continue to shoot.  It's about the most difficult endeavor in photography to shoot well. 

But, if you don't know what you're doing, you have very little chance of success without a VERY talented model.

Aug 05 10 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Stuart James

Thanks guys, great advice!

Aug 05 10 08:26 am Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

I suggest trying to duplicate the poses and lighting of shots you already like.
You'll learn TONS by doing this.

Aug 05 10 08:31 am Link

Photographer

Stuart James

Charles West wrote:

I have been printing ideas / styles over the last few days, I will try that out thanks.

Aug 05 10 08:35 am Link

Photographer

Eros Artist Photography

Solomons, Maryland, US

Charles West wrote:

+1 or whatever I'm supposed to put when in agreement.

Regardless of the source, light and lighting are everything. Know your lighting and keep it simple.

And yes, be up front with the model. Always.

Aug 05 10 09:01 am Link

Photographer

henrybutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

Models tend not to pose nude for TFP, at least not in this part of the world.  You need to give them something.  UK models do not charge an unreasonable fee.

I would begin with a few photography books of art nudes which appeal to me.  Figure out how the lighting was done and try to duplicate it.  You will find that exactly duplicating a photograph from a book is nearly impossible but will result in an image which you can claim ownership of.

Honesty is always best.  When I started I kept copies of books, magazines, and ads which I thought had great poses in them.  I would show them to the model and say, "I'd like to duplicate this."

If you pay money to a well-experienced model you won't have to work as hard doing your compositions.  Amateur models are cheap but experienced models are productive.

Aug 05 10 09:38 am Link

Photographer

PE Arts

Falls Church, Virginia, US

set up a few lights, and hire a model...  for ideas pleas have a look at www.zivity.com,

you might even want to pay models $100, and a set for zivity

Aug 05 10 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Maxximages

hbutz New York wrote:
Models tend not to pose nude for TFP, at least not in this part of the world.  You need to give them something.  UK models do not charge an unreasonable fee.

I would begin with a few photography books of art nudes which appeal to me.  Figure out how the lighting was done and try to duplicate it.  You will find that exactly duplicating a photograph from a book is nearly impossible but will result in an image which you can claim ownership of.

Honesty is always best.  When I started I kept copies of books, magazines, and ads which I thought had great poses in them.  I would show them to the model and say, "I'd like to duplicate this."

If you pay money to a well-experienced model you won't have to work as hard doing your compositions.  Amateur models are cheap but experienced models are productive.

+1

If you are going to buy books check out those published by Rotovision. They have a line of books with a lighting diagram for each picture. If you have a hard time lining up a model TF don't hesitate to offer pay. An experienced model will be much better at posing and you can learn from them. Plus you won't have to worry as much about delivering quality pictures for trade from your first shoot.

Aug 05 10 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

hbutz New York wrote:

Depends on both the model & photographer.

I certainly have never had a problem getting models to participate in any art nude projects for trade. Maybe I'm naive but I'd like to think they believed in the project on its own merits.

Aug 05 10 11:46 am Link

Photographer

lightonpixels

New York, New York, US

Charles West wrote:
Hire a professional figure model.  Not a glamour model. 

That's all the advice you need to get started!  Explain it is indeed your first shoot and not to expect much.  Do your best, and continue to shoot.  It's about the most difficult endeavor in photography to shoot well. 

But, if you don't know what you're doing, you have very little chance of success without a VERY talented model.

^^this is a good answer

Aug 05 10 11:48 am Link