Forums > General Industry > Make up for stretch marks... HELP!!!

Photographer

MillsPhoto

Wyandotte, Michigan, US

I need some help!!! I have a girl that wants glamour photos done but will not until she get make up for her sretch marks. They are very deep, maybe some of the worst I've seen, poor girl...
Can anybody make some suggestions, other than "PhotoShop"!!! ;-)

Thanks, Jeff

Jul 28 05 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Simple solution, get a makeup artist. It's not an uncommon thing. The mua will be able to determine how easy or not the job will be. Also, what's wrong with using PS to remove stretch marks. If you can imgine it, it can be done with PS so don't tell me it's too many marks. All it takes is time and skill.

Jul 28 05 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

2470 Studios

Los Angeles, California, US

If they're as deep as you say they are, simple makeup will not be able to eliminate all the stretchmarks.  You're still going to need to post process them.

Just an FYI

Jul 29 05 04:14 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Posted by MillsPhoto: 
I need some help!!! I have a girl that wants glamour photos done but will not until she get make up for her sretch marks. They are very deep, maybe some of the worst I've seen, poor girl...

Thanks, Jeff

Dermablend. Expensive but it will do the trick just right. This is good for deep scars and such. This is actually a very well known makeup among cross dressers and such because it is thick and can be applied in such a way that it would hide stubble.

Jul 29 05 04:30 am Link

Photographer

MillsPhoto

Wyandotte, Michigan, US

Thank you, that's what I was trying to remember...

Jul 29 05 05:18 am Link

Photographer

ericphotonyc

Brooklyn, New York, US

Two words:

gausian blur.

Jul 29 05 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

Merle

Kennesaw, Georgia, US

This may sound harsh, but try better models. If she's paying you, and requesting the cover up, fine, MUA or PS, or cover via posing and wardrobe. But it is  false advertising on the models part. For non-paid shoots, I'm bored of seeing one thing on the online portfolio, and another showing at the door. I've learned to do more careful scouting, to limit the amount of PS needed for bad skin. Just my 2 cents.

Merle

Jul 29 05 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Make sure you shoot her as is.  Could be beautiful.  Melvin Morton Jr's shot like that is wonderful.

Jul 29 05 08:39 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

There's a thread on this in the Model Matters forum.  But yeah, try Dermablend makeup if nothing else.  It was (AFAIK) originally created for burn victims and works wonders on hiding tattoos, etc.

Jul 30 05 11:12 pm Link

Model

elisabeth1986

Charleston, Arkansas, US

I don't know. But when you find out let me know. I got them from my 4 month old son. And I don't even like doing swimsuit now because of them.

Jul 31 05 12:08 am Link

Photographer

PhotographerMV

Norwood, Colorado, US

Posted by elisabeth1986: 
I don't know. But when you find out let me know. I got them from my 4 month old son. And I don't even like doing swimsuit now because of them.

yah well i looked at your portfolio and all i can say is go look at April05 https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=20828 and rethink your potential. i dont mean to be rude but there are girls we want to see with little clothing on and there are girls we dont care to see even naked. that is also just my .02 worth (im totally sick of guys lying on this website)

Jul 31 05 12:25 am Link

Photographer

JT Hodges

Austin, Texas, US

Posted by Merle: 
I'm bored of seeing one thing on the online portfolio, and another showing at the door. I've learned to do more careful scouting, to limit the amount of PS needed for bad skin. Just my 2 cents.

Amen

Jul 31 05 12:26 am Link

Model

Elena

Columbus, Ohio, US

Posted by PhotographerMV: 

Posted by elisabeth1986: 

yah well i looked at your portfolio and all i can say is go look at April05 https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=20828 and rethink your potential. i dont mean to be rude but there are girls we want to see with little clothing on and there are girls we dont care to see even naked. that is also just my .02 worth (im totally sick of guys lying on this website)

that was kind of mean...

Jul 31 05 09:35 am Link

Photographer

DMHolman

Lynnwood, Washington, US

Posted by Elena: 
that was kind of mean...

Seemed harsh and uncalled for, since she didn't ask, but at least he was honest about what he thought.  I'm more interested in who exactly the "we" are, why they can't speak for themselves and why they apparently hold April05 up as the yardstick by which other models are measured.

That's not a shot at April05 in anyway; but I think it should be remembered that not everyone shares the same sense of aesthetics.

Jul 31 05 10:12 am Link

Model

CarolineVictoria

Beverly Hills, California, US

Eeeeeek! That was a total oucher.  I just read something written by a MUA to the stars and top models.  She said you would never imagine all the acne and scars that are covered up MAJORLY.  I guess that just goes to show some of the people we think are perfect really aren't....PHEWWWW that is SO good to know lol.

Aug 02 05 07:33 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

As a model who has stretch marks...you can't cover them up if they are on your tummy. If they are on your tummy, your skin has stretched, the make-up might even the tone, but when you bend down or do the crawling shot....your skin droops. It's not pretty. And if there's a photographer  who wants to work with you....talk over the content of the session and see if he/she is prepared for the post work. It's really not that bad, I've done it myself for maternity shoots. No one wants to remember their stretchmarks, just the belly. I stick to modeling clothes, but on the occasion when I've been asked to do sexier stuff, I've been open with the photographers. Some have reconsidered working with me, but most haven't. Maybe they considered me a challenge for their abilities? I don't know. But my daughter was well worth the damage.

Some things that have worked:

Oil up for bathing suit shots and spray water. The droplets divert light

Lighting. Play with it til you get something that works. It's vague, but worked for a shoot I did once. Took amore time, but the photograoher said it saved on the post work, there was virtually none.

Different poses: lay on the belly, turn body more away from the camera, etc. Practice, see how you notice them less.

If you learn to accept your body and be confident in your abilities, it will shine through. If you have insecurities, they will glare through. Caroline Victoria (who is perfect by the way) is correct about the top models. I've seen it first hand. Learn what works for you here.

Aug 02 05 08:01 am Link

Model

thickie_thic

Greensboro, Alabama, US

WELL,I HAD TO POST HERE:) ME MYSELF,I HAVE STRETCH MARKS ON MY LOWER BACK/SIDE BECAUSE WHEN I WAS YOUNGER I WAS BIGGER AND I LOST ALOT OF WEIGHT AROUND MY WAIST AND WAS LEFT WITH EM'. BUT I TRY TO DO POSES THAT MAKE EM NOT SO NOTICIABLE.......AND LIKE MS DAWN ELIZABETH SAID,GOOD LIGHTING HELPS ALSO,I AM NOT A MODEL,I TAKE MY OWN PICTURES,BUT I'VE FOUND OUT THAT THE POSES AND THE LIGHTIN MAKES A BIGG DIFFERENCE. EVERYONE HAS FLAWS,JUSS GOTTA KNO WHAT KINDA POSES WORK FOR YOU LIKE SHE SAID:)

Aug 02 05 09:41 pm Link

Model

CassandraLorien

Brooklyn, New York, US

You know what? personally I think that there are lots of people with all sorts of eclectic  tastes.  While the model you pointed out is attractive, and certainly can make it in the commercial market,  I personally feel she is edging on too thin. 

What you said to that model was harsh and uncalled for, who the hell are you to criticize her or  anyone here?  Truthfully, I shouldn’t either considering I lack experience in this field, but at least I don’t lack common sense.    You’d be lucky to have her in front of your camera with your umm shall we say… “ lackluster credentialsâ€? You’re shooting scary old men with FISH. This is  your damn avatar, what type of image are you trying to present to the MM community? !

How can you even consider you have a leg to stand on to put anyone on this site down when your own portfolio is absolutely nothing more then horny snapshots, redneck paraphernalia  and candid beach shots? Are you even TRYING?

Not everyone is going to make it, hey me personally I have no illusions I’m short and curvy myself. aka- not VS material!

There are people who appreciate the feminine form and don’t try to turn everyone into stick figure thin 14 year old boys who need c implants to make them look like women...
stop wasting your time trolling this forum. Get a life and go take a photography course. There are people in this place are here for serious reasons,  from fashion, to fetish, to art, then there are those that seek  masturbation material. You sir I am afraid fall into the last category!

thats MY fucking 2 cents.

-edit (quote didnt come out right)

Aug 03 05 01:49 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

You need to edit in PS with a few modifications to help you.
First do the photoshoot with no body make up or minimal to these areas (VERY minimal in these areas of the stretch marks).
The reason i say that is due to certain lighting and angles the skin color may not be even. If you do a huge edit in that one area it could make her skin look like she has a huge patch of discolored skin or may not blend in good with the rest of the area.
I did a model with real bad scars from a breast reduction (REAL bad), and i did two shoots to test and show her the results.
The one with the "coverup" make up made her skin the wrong color after editing. With the lighting the other areas were not the same color, so no similiar areas to use. The coverup was not exactly her skin color and if i used that it looked like the whole area was a "cheap concrete patch job".
I used the other photo with no coverup and edited and it came out beautiful, could not even tell she had anything scars at all and the skin tone all matched with the rest of the area perfectly.
I showed her both, she made me delete the "cover up" photo and she loved the one with no makeup she bought a 9x12 for her bf.

Aug 04 05 09:48 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Posted by Glamour Boulevard: 

Posted by MillsPhoto: 

Thanks, Jeff

Dermablend. Expensive but it will do the trick just right. This is good for deep scars and such. This is actually a very well known makeup among cross dressers and such because it is thick and can be applied in such a way that it would hide stubble.

Hides stubble?  Wow i never knew that....so the paint store sells alot of spatulas to these guys i guess?
I never used or saw this dermablend stuff before but its gotta be real thick to cover "Stubble" ....... ok..this is gross im not feeling good. next forum

Aug 04 05 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Remember this..... lighting can make shadows and hide things you dont want so evident in the photo.
Lighting also can allow you to see everything in vivid detail.
Use it wisely and it will be your best friend.
Its easier to use the lighting to make editing almost nil. If you have to edit and the lighting worked then editing will be easy.

Aug 04 05 09:59 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by CassandraLorien: 

yah well i looked at your portfolio and all i can say is go look at April05 ttp://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=20828 and rethink your potential. i dont mean to be rude but there are girls we want to see with little clothing on and there are girls we dont care to see even naked. that is also just my .02 worth (im totally sick of guys lying on this website)

You know what? personally I think that there are lots of people with all sorts of eclectic  tastes.  While the model you pointed out is attractive, and certainly can make it in the commercial market,  I personally feel she is edging on too thin.  What you said to that model was harsh and uncalled for, who the hell are you to criticize her or  anyone here?  Truthfully, I shouldn’t either considering I lack experience in this field, but at least I don’t lack common sense.    You’d be lucky to have her in front of your camera with your umm shall we say… “ lackluster credentialsâ€? You’re shooting scary old men with FISH. This is  your damn avatar, what type of image are you trying to present to the MM community? ! How can you even consider you have a leg to stand on to put anyone on this site down when your own portfolio is absolutely nothing more then horny snapshots, redneck paraphernalia  and candid beach shots? Are you even TRYING? Not everyone is going to make it, hey me personally I have no illusions I’m short and curvy myself. aka- not VS material! There are people who appreciate the feminine form and don’t try to turn everyone into stick figure thin 14 year old boys who need c implants to make them look like women...
stop wasting your time trolling this forum. Get a life and go take a photography course. There are people in this place are here for serious reasons,  from fashion, to fetish, to art, then there are those that seek  masturbation material. You sir I am afraid fall into the last category! thats MY fucking 2 cents.
-edit (quote didnt come out right)

thats my girl, as lovely as she is intelligent, articulate and perseptive..

Aug 04 05 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

40 Digital Photography

Tarpon Springs, Florida, US

Posted by PhotographerMV: 

Posted by elisabeth1986: 

That was uncalled for. She was not asking your opinion or advice. Now that's another person that may not go near the forums thanks to trolls like yourself.

Robert

Aug 04 05 03:28 pm Link

Model

CassandraLorien

Brooklyn, New York, US

someone point this thread out to PhotographerMV
i'd love to see his response.

Aug 04 05 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by CassandraLorien: 
someone point this thread out to PhotographerMV
i'd love to see his response.

.. im sure he's seen it..he'd have to be awful bold to respond...or real stu.........ugh never mind...

Aug 04 05 05:17 pm Link